Cyber Command Completes First Major Attack Simulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

xx_pemdas_xx

Distinguished
May 23, 2011
[citation][nom]xX_PEMDAS_Xx[/nom]Wow there was some crazy pictures on your machine![/citation]

Oh wait, no wonder my credit card charges went through the roof..

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
Easiest solution, if you detect multiple attacks in real time, take the servers off of the WAN, most real-time attacks cant be stopped in real time while keeping normal operation.

Also unlike with a simulation where you know what is happening because things are set up. In real life, you generally wont know when the network has been compromised. (many of the best security firms have been hacked, and malicious users having full or nearly full access for months or years).

If you are attacking a remote server, if your goal is not denial of service, then the moment your attack has been detected, it has failed (unless you already know their complete network map as well as all of the exploitable software running ahead of time and only need to quickly get a single small file)

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
Did the 150 attackers attack from 150 off site computers or did they attack from 150 PCs controlling 150 different botnets with a couple hundred (or thousand+) computers in each botnet? (Can't really be answered here but I don't think China/Russia/Our current allies are going to be attacking with anything less than a half a million computers willing or unwilling computers.)

Cyber War I, Uncle Sam needs you to join the attack! Install SamNet on all of your connected devices Today!!!

Borisblade7

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011
[citation][nom]Igot1forya[/nom]"We didn't expect someone to set the building on fire"[/citation]
rofl, thats how you do it kobayashi maru style.

Ok I realize people are just guessing, but having been through a red team visit before, these guys don't play nice. They will find a way in, even if they have to create fake security badges and hack from the inside. And when their finished they create this nice report detailing what they did and how they did it and present it to your commander.

It's a good experience, albeit extremely stressful.

pepe2907

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
The little problem with this simulation is that the "attackers" use the schemes of attack known to US Cyber Command and which they suppose will be used. But the question is - will the Chinese hackers use the same schemes? :)

It's a good start to wasting Millions of taxpayers dollars on a Chinese style firewall for the whole country. Doesn't it strike anyone of the uses of this thing? if it works that is.
I wonder why everyone is so paranoid and live in fear all the time?
Who the hell would want to take their Military secrets? Wiki already has them all.
And why would any idiot want to attack the US , die hard style? it was simple enough with the planes..., the banks, and the oil why it'd be pretty simple to coax the president itself again with a multi billion dollar election campaign package.
Really, and the best part of it is, all the strategic networks ought to be off the internet, just simple LANs and WANs. Reduce stupid spending and provide better housing and employment to your citizens would be a better option.
Security..... that's a laugh.
Spending on it..... is like Halliburton contracts.
And then testing them..... is like 911, fooling the people to believe what is and what is not, when they are all aware of what is the actual state of the states affairs, and I don't mean the Monica Lewinsky affairs.

"Col. Rivers J. Johnson of the command's public affairs office told InformationWeek that while the Cyber Command was not 100 percent successful in fending off all of the attacks, the majority of threats were identified and deflected "in a timely manner."

"There were a variety of scenarios based on what we think an adversary would do in real world events and real world time," he's quoted as saying. "It was a great exercise." "

The Col. still uses the Win 3.1 Word Processor for all his PR reporting.
"Majority in a timely manner"..... was that the time before the got into the systems or were getting out of the systems? or was it after they came, they and they..... you royally.
There can't be real world events in the cyber world..... dumbass. this is not a virtual reality war game.
"It was a great exercise" only if you learnt what a waste of time it was.

xx_pemdas_xx

Distinguished
May 23, 2011
My secound cousin works for the Dep of defence ( contractor ), The "bad guys" always get in.. even if it means breaking in physical to turn on the computers to hack them. Because the best defense is no connection to the internet. They run different operating systems and different programs, on different networks for every task. So if one system goes down they can still operate with everything else.

pepe2907

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
[citation][nom]TheCapulet[/nom]It's likely the "attacking" team kept some secrets up their sleeves, as well as creating new and inventive ways to find and take advantage of current vulnerabilities. In a scenario like this, there's just as much 'kudos' to be won on the attacking side as the defending side. If you have 300 security officers all competing for the attention of their CO, trying to look good for the next eval and hopeful rank, you can bet your ass that they were trying as hard as they could.[/citation]

But if you have 300 dumb people /I don't imply the Cyber Command are dumb, this is just an example/ and divide them in two groups, these two groups will also be of the same dumb people. Point is - being a part of the same group makes them predictable, competing with each other or not, they will work in the same known to all the group frame.

Status
Not open for further replies.