How do I find out the maximum size of HD for my computer?

Hi --

I've had a look at the past 2 months of messages, but didn't find any
answers, so I'm going to ask my question here.

I want to install an additional HD on my PC, for extra storage and as
backup of the existing drive. When I went into my local computer shop,
the kid at the desk told me that my computer was too old and wouldn't
support a drive bigger than 80 GB -- but he did so without even looking
at the spec sheet, and my computer is not *that* old. So I'm
suspicious, maybe he was just having a bad day or didn't like my face
:).

So my question is, how do I find out? Motherboard seems to be the
relevant bottleneck, but here is the further question -- how do I find
out make and model of my motherboard?

This is what the DirectX diagnostic tool tells me:

System Manufacturer: 761686
System Model: AWRDACPI
BIOS: Rev:1.0

This looks awfully generic. Any help, please?

I'm running Windows XP Home with SP1 (and plan to upgrade to SP2 as
soon as I can make a full system backup, i.e. when I buy my new HD!)

Thanks in advance,
Anna
--
Anna Mazzoldi <http://aynathie.livejournal.com/>

WARNING: This planet contains explicit language,
graphic violence, nudity, and adult situations.
Self-guidance is recommended.

Anna Mazzoldi wrote:

> Hi --
>
> I've had a look at the past 2 months of messages, but didn't find any
> answers, so I'm going to ask my question here.
>
> I want to install an additional HD on my PC, for extra storage and as
> backup of the existing drive. When I went into my local computer shop,
> the kid at the desk told me that my computer was too old and wouldn't
> support a drive bigger than 80 GB -- but he did so without even looking
> at the spec sheet, and my computer is not *that* old. So I'm
> suspicious, maybe he was just having a bad day or didn't like my face
> :).

Never believe anything that the guy behind the counter at a computer shop
tells you.

80GB is an odd number--while it's conceivable that some machine somewhere
has that limitation, 32 and 128 are the usual limits. If there's a free
slot in the machine the 128 can be alleviated with an inexpensive (less
than the price of a tank of gas for an SUV) third-party host adapter such
as those from Promise, Highpoint, and a number of other vendors.

> So my question is, how do I find out? Motherboard seems to be the
> relevant bottleneck, but here is the further question -- how do I find
> out make and model of my motherboard?

If the board doesn't identify itself at startup the only sure way is to open
the machine and look for identifying marks.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

Anna Mazzoldi <AnnaUsenet@iol.ie> wrote

> I've had a look at the past 2 months of messages, but didn't
> find any answers, so I'm going to ask my question here.

> I want to install an additional HD on my PC, for extra storage
> and as backup of the existing drive. When I went into my local
> computer shop, the kid at the desk told me that my computer
> was too old and wouldn't support a drive bigger than 80 GB

He's a pig ignorant fool. There are very
few systems which have a problem at 80G

> -- but he did so without even looking at the spec sheet,
> and my computer is not *that* old. So I'm suspicious,
> maybe he was just having a bad day or didn't like my face :).

Yeah, most likely. Or didnt want to admit his pig ignorance more likely.

> So my question is, how do I find out?

There isnt any easy way.

> Motherboard seems to be the relevant bottleneck, but here is the further
> question -- how do I find out make and model of my motherboard?

Use
http://www.lavalys.com/products/overview.php?pid=1&lang=en
and select Motherboard Motherboard in the left hand column and
it will show you that towards the top of the display on the right.

Once you have that data, the motherboard manufacturer's
web site should say if there is a bios flash needed for a
later bios that supports say drives over 128G.

You arent risking much by assuming that it will be fine.

> This is what the DirectX diagnostic tool tells me:

> System Manufacturer: 761686
> System Model: AWRDACPI
> BIOS: Rev:1.0

> This looks awfully generic. Any help, please?

> I'm running Windows XP Home with SP1 (and plan to upgrade to SP2 as
> soon as I can make a full system backup, i.e. when I buy my new HD!)

You do need SP1 for support for drives over 128G.

Well no one will tell you apparently. There's no foolproof way to ascertain
the HD capacity capability of your PC without actually putting one in it.
The bios manufacturers still keep the HD capacity capability a secret for
the casual user.
There's a program called Everest that can give you a whole lot more data on
your PC's innards without opening it up.

"Anna Mazzoldi" <AnnaUsenet@iol.ie> wrote in message
> [...]

> :).
>
> So my question is, how do I find out? Motherboard seems to be the
> relevant bottleneck, but here is the further question -- how do I find
> out make and model of my motherboard?
>
> This is what the DirectX diagnostic tool tells me:
>
> System Manufacturer: 761686
> System Model: AWRDACPI
> BIOS: Rev:1.0
>
> This looks awfully generic. Any help, please?
>
> I'm running Windows XP Home with SP1 (and plan to upgrade to SP2 as
> soon as I can make a full system backup, i.e. when I buy my new HD!)
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Anna
> --
> Anna Mazzoldi <http://aynathie.livejournal.com/>
>
> WARNING: This planet contains explicit language,
> graphic violence, nudity, and adult situations.

What you did not say was how big is the one that is in there now?
If you open the Case and look in the middle of the Motherboard you
will find a part number, that can be used to look up the manufacturer
to see what they say.If it is not that old of a system,you should
still have the manuals that came with it,look in there.If it is just
over a year old there is absolutely no reason an 80G will not work.

The idiot behind the counter just did not want to mess with you, never
buy from anyplace where they appear to ignore you.I use dto work
behina a tech counter, guys would get fired in the "good old days" for
doing that.

"Lil' Dave" <spamyourself@virus.net> wrote in message news:lwCPe.2058$9i4.130@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net...
> Well, no one will tell you apparently.

Not entirely sure that you do now.

There's no foolproof way to ascertain the HD capacity capability of your
> PC without actually putting one in it.

And then what?

> The bios manufacturers still keep the HD capacity capability a secret for
> the casual user.
> There's a program called Everest that can give you a whole lot more data on
> your PC's innards without opening it up.

But does it check for foldback?

I think that one of Svends utilities does that.

Anna Mazzoldi wrote:

> When I went into my local computer shop, the kid
> at the desk told me that my computer was too old
> and wouldn't support a drive bigger than 80 GB --
> but he did so without even looking at the spec
> sheet, and my computer is not *that* old.

> This is what the DirectX diagnostic tool tells me:
>
> System Manufacturer: 761686
> System Model: AWRDACPI
> BIOS: Rev:1.0
>
> This looks awfully generic. Any help, please?

www.esupport.com/global has a free BIOS information utility, BIOS
Agent. It doesn't give the HD size limits, but at least it indicates
version BIOS is in your computer, and from that you can check one of
the forums at www.wimsbios.com or a FAQ from an HD manufacturer to see
whether its IDE HD size limit is 8.4GB, 33GB, 65GB, 137GB, or a million
times 137GB (48-bit LBA -- see www.48bitlba.com). Some of the experts
at Wim's will even modify certain BIOSes to change their 33GB limit to
137GB. One person there, Rainbow, modified two 33GB-limit Award ver.
4.51 BIOSes for me, and his website, www.rainbow-software.org, has
several similar modified BIOSes.

I think that support for 137GB drives was implemented by Award starting
in late 1999, by AMI in Jan. 2000.

If you can't get a free BIOS upgrade, consider a plug-in PCI controller
card, about $10-20. I bought one from Acortech.com for $13, delivered
(had to use a free shipping coupon code -- see www.pricewatch.com),
based on a Silicon Image chip and that can even support RAID.

J. Clarke wrote in comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage:

> Anna Mazzoldi wrote:
>
> > Hi --
> >
> > I've had a look at the past 2 months of messages, but didn't find
> > any answers, so I'm going to ask my question here.
> >
> > I want to install an additional HD on my PC, for extra storage and
> > as backup of the existing drive. When I went into my local computer
> > shop, the kid at the desk told me that my computer was too old and
> > wouldn't support a drive bigger than 80 GB -- but he did so without
> > even looking at the spec sheet, and my computer is not that old. So
> > I'm suspicious, maybe he was just having a bad day or didn't like
> > my face :).
>
> Never believe anything that the guy behind the counter at a computer
> shop tells you.

I normally wouldn't, particularly, but this is a small shop where the
people behind the counter tend to be the same people who build and
repair the computers, and I've always found them to be both helpful and
knowledgeable. Which is why I'm assuming a bad day :)

BTW, sorry for disappearing for so long just after asking my question:
Offline Life became slightly overwhelming for a while and I had to put
off things for a few days. Thanks to all who replied!

--
Anna Mazzoldi <http://aynathie.livejournal.com/>

A child of five could understand this!
Fetch me a child of five.

Rod Speed wrote in comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage:

> There isnt any easy way.
>
> > Motherboard seems to be the relevant bottleneck, but here is the
> > further question -- how do I find out make and model of my
> > motherboard?
>
> Use
> http://www.lavalys.com/products/overview.php?pid=1&lang=en
> and select Motherboard Motherboard in the left hand column and
> it will show you that towards the top of the display on the right.

Thanks! Really neat tool. I wonder why it's so hard to get the BIOS
information from inside Windows -- most tools, like the OS's own and
Norton's and a couple more that I had lying about the HD, don't give
this information.

> Once you have that data, the motherboard manufacturer's
> web site should say if there is a bios flash needed for a
> later bios that supports say drives over 128G.

Yes. I found out, went and looked. Since the motherboard and the BIOS
are by different firms (Abit and Award respectively), and they don't
seem to be talking to each other much any more, (and the BIOS
manufacturer charges for an upgrade without listing the specs of the
old version), the result isn't 100% clear: but it seems quite clear
that the limit for my system, *if any*, is indeed 128G and not 80.
Since 128G is quite enough for my requirements and my pocket at the
moment, I don't really need to know anything more -- and I can go
shopping for drives :)

Thanks again!

--
Anna Mazzoldi <http://aynathie.livejournal.com/>

"I fought the Dharma, and the Dharma won."
-- Allen Ginsberg

bandit1921@cox.net wrote in comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage:

> What you did not say was how big is the one that is in there now?

60GB

> If you open the Case and look in the middle of the Motherboard you
> will find a part number, that can be used to look up the manufacturer
> to see what they say.

Great, thanks. I tend to leave opening the case as a last resort
because physical access is rather hard and I don't particularly enjoy
crawling under my desk with a torchlight :) (I know, not an ideal
arrangement, but space is at a real premium in this flat). I did find
the info with the program another poster suggested, but this is
interesting anyway -- I wouldn't have known where to look on the MB for
the part no. It may come in useful in future!

> If it is not that old of a system,you should
> still have the manuals that came with it,look in there.

Ah-ha! You haven't seen my flat :). The problem with this apparently
very sensible solution is *locating* the manuals :)

> If it is just
> over a year old there is absolutely no reason an 80G will not work.

More like three years; but in the end it appears that the limit, if
any, is indeed 128 GB -- which is enough for me anyway, so no problem.

> The idiot behind the counter just did not want to mess with you, never
> buy from anyplace where they appear to ignore you.I use dto work
> behina a tech counter, guys would get fired in the "good old days" for
> doing that.

They usually don't. And they have the great advantage of location: for
someone who doesn't own a car, like me, being able to carry the box to
the shop for repairs is a *big* bonus :)

Thanks!

--
Anna Mazzoldi <http://aynathie.livejournal.com/>

'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds.

larry moe 'n curly wrote in comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage:

> Anna Mazzoldi wrote:
>
> > When I went into my local computer shop, the kid
> > at the desk told me that my computer was too old
> > and wouldn't support a drive bigger than 80 GB --
> > but he did so without even looking at the spec
> > sheet, and my computer is not that old.
>
> > This is what the DirectX diagnostic tool tells me:
> >
> > System Manufacturer: 761686
> > System Model: AWRDACPI
> > BIOS: Rev:1.0
> >
> > This looks awfully generic. Any help, please?
>
> www.esupport.com/global has a free BIOS information utility, BIOS
> Agent. It doesn't give the HD size limits, but at least it indicates
> version BIOS is in your computer, and from that you can check one of
> the forums at www.wimsbios.com or a FAQ from an HD manufacturer to see
> whether its IDE HD size limit is 8.4GB, 33GB, 65GB, 137GB, or a
> million times 137GB (48-bit LBA -- see www.48bitlba.com). Some of
> the experts at Wim's will even modify certain BIOSes to change their
> 33GB limit to 137GB. One person there, Rainbow, modified two
> 33GB-limit Award ver. 4.51 BIOSes for me, and his website,
> www.rainbow-software.org, has several similar modified BIOSes.
>
> I think that support for 137GB drives was implemented by Award
> starting in late 1999, by AMI in Jan. 2000.
>
> If you can't get a free BIOS upgrade, consider a plug-in PCI
> controller card, about $10-20. I bought one from Acortech.com for
> $13, delivered (had to use a free shipping coupon code -- see
> www.pricewatch.com), based on a Silicon Image chip and that can even
> support RAID.

Thanks! I'll save this info in case I need it later -- at the moment it
looks like I'll be able to fit a disk large enough without further
upgrades, but it might turn out to be All A Big Lie... :)

--
Anna Mazzoldi <http://aynathie.livejournal.com/>

This is either very Zen, or I'm channelling Goldilocks.
-- Helen on rasfc

Anna Mazzoldi <AnnaUsenet@iol.ie> wrote
> Rod Speed wrote

>> There isnt any easy way.

>>> Motherboard seems to be the relevant bottleneck, but here is the
>>> further question -- how do I find out make and model of my motherboard?

>> Use
>> http://www.lavalys.com/products/overview.php?pid=1&lang=en
>> and select Motherboard Motherboard in the left hand column and
>> it will show you that towards the top of the display on the right.

> Thanks! Really neat tool. I wonder why it's so hard to get
> the BIOS information from inside Windows -- most tools,
> like the OS's own and Norton's and a couple more that
> I had lying about the HD, don't give this information.

Yeah, its not that easy for any tool to work out what is the
biggest drive a system will support. Even Everest cant do that.

>> Once you have that data, the motherboard manufacturer's
>> web site should say if there is a bios flash needed for a
>> later bios that supports say drives over 128G.

> Yes. I found out, went and looked. Since the motherboard and
> the BIOS are by different firms (Abit and Award respectively),

That's normal, its the Abit site that matters.

> and they don't seem to be talking to each other much any more,

They still do.

> (and the BIOS manufacturer charges for an upgrade
> without listing the specs of the old version),

Yeah, that route isnt the way to go, the way to go is to see what
the Abit site says about bios updates for that particular motherboard.

> the result isn't 100% clear: but it seems quite clear that the
> limit for my system, *if any*, is indeed 128G and not 80.

Yeah, there are very few systems with a limit at 80.

> Since 128G is quite enough for my requirements and
> my pocket at the moment, I don't really need to know
> anything more -- and I can go shopping for drives :)

Yeah, thats certainly sure to work fine.

> Thanks again!

No problem, happy to help.