Replacing five WD2000JB drives

Archived from groups: uk.comp.homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

I bought five Western Digital WD2000JB PATA hard disks four weeks ago.
One of them fails to format fully in Windows 2000, due to a large chunk
of bad sectors; another one has begun sticking - at random intervals it
makes a clunking noise, and no further disk access is possible without
cycling the computer power.

Obviously both these drives are going back, to be exchanged for what?
Either two Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 160Gb PATA, or one 7200.8 300Gb
PATA. (Which is better?)

Should I insist that the other three disk drives, which are formatted in
NTFS but as yet completely untested, go back as well?
19 answers Last reply
More about replacing wd2000jb drives
  1. Archived from groups: uk.comp.homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 18:43:28 +0100, in
    comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage , A. J. Moss
    <ajmoss@macpaint.fsworld.co.uk.invalid> in
    <sh0sg19mtr75m7o7248jcmjg0oh8c385cj@4ax.com> wrote:

    >I bought five Western Digital WD2000JB PATA hard disks four weeks ago.
    >One of them fails to format fully in Windows 2000, due to a large chunk
    >of bad sectors; another one has begun sticking - at random intervals it
    >makes a clunking noise, and no further disk access is possible without
    >cycling the computer power.
    >
    >Obviously both these drives are going back, to be exchanged for what?
    >Either two Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 160Gb PATA, or one 7200.8 300Gb
    >PATA. (Which is better?)
    >
    >Should I insist that the other three disk drives, which are formatted in
    >NTFS but as yet completely untested, go back as well?

    I would. How can you trust them? The cost of extra backups because of
    uncertainty would be more than the drives.

    --
    Matt Silberstein

    Do something today about the Darfur Genocide

    Genocide is news | Be A Witness
    http://www.beawitness.org

    "Darfur: A Genocide We can Stop"
    www.darfurgenocide.org

    Save Darfur.org :: Violence and Suffering in Sudan's Darfur Region
    http://www.savedarfur.org/
  2. Archived from groups: uk.comp.homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    A. J. Moss wrote:

    > I bought five Western Digital WD2000JB PATA hard disks four weeks ago.
    > One of them fails to format fully in Windows 2000, due to a large chunk
    > of bad sectors; another one has begun sticking - at random intervals it
    > makes a clunking noise, and no further disk access is possible without
    > cycling the computer power.
    >
    > Obviously both these drives are going back, to be exchanged for what?
    > Either two Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 160Gb PATA, or one 7200.8 300Gb
    > PATA. (Which is better?)
    >
    > Should I insist that the other three disk drives, which are formatted in
    > NTFS but as yet completely untested, go back as well?

    I can't help thinking you're doing something wrong. As another poster
    suggested, check cooling and power in particular. SMART is your friend.
    If you have environmental problems, the Seagates will die, too.

    While one can argue about the relative merits of WD drives compared with
    some others, they're not _that_ unreliable. (In fact, I think they're
    on a par with the others +/-.) The only caveat is that if during
    shipment they were subjected to major stress, one could see high
    mortalities -- but again, that's true of any drive.

  3. Archived from groups: uk.comp.homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    A. J. Moss wrote:

    > I bought five Western Digital WD2000JB PATA hard disks four weeks ago.

    imo, the WD jb's are good hard drives. i'll grant that you had the
    slightly bigger 200's (i had 3 of the 160's) and thought well
    of the 160 (2 platter) jb's that i had (whereas i think your
    200's are 3 platter, but i doubt that makes any serious difference)

    > One of them fails to format fully in Windows 2000, due to a large chunk
    > of bad sectors; another one has begun sticking - at random intervals it
    > makes a clunking noise, and no further disk access is possible without
    > cycling the computer power.
    >
    > Obviously both these drives are going back, to be exchanged for what?
    > Either two Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 160Gb PATA, or one 7200.8 300Gb
    > PATA. (Which is better?)
    >
    > Should I insist that the other three disk drives, which are formatted in
    > NTFS but as yet completely untested, go back as well?

    a recent review at anandtech made me think the
    newer 7200.8 is a better choice (vs. the 7200.7
    (depending on price))

    afaik, the 7200.7 and 7200.8 have 5 year warranty

    i have no experience with PATA 7200.7 nor 7200.8

    anyhow, i set up a new machine for a family member
    and offered them either the jb 160's i had (at a
    serious discount) or newer drives (at newegg prices)

    when they chose my PATA jb 160s, i went with a PATA
    Hitachi 250 GB Deskstar T7K250 (2 platter) and
    two of the older 7K250 (lower density, 3 platter).
    (it was a timing thing; i 1st got 2 from newegg,
    and on the 2nd buy i noticed the newer T7K250)

    the T7K250 is now my primary drive, and i use the older
    250's for backup (i open the computer case (i have an
    18" 3 connector round connector with only the boot drive
    on it, boot into DOS98SE, and use DOS Ghost 2003 for
    the backup (i prop the drive (slightly slanted) on the
    bottom edge of the case; when the b/u goes beyond 20 min.
    i'll blow a small external fan on it to keep it cool)

    there's no question that the both Hitachi drives
    (T7K250 and 7K250) have better performance than
    the WD jb drives do

    i have no reason to think that there is any difference
    in longevity (WD jb vs. the above Hitachi) given decent
    fan air movement over the hard drives)

    bill
  4. Archived from groups: uk.comp.homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    Bitstring <ha5sg19e8p8c12lmq1g7nmtkh6fptukj7u@4ax.com>, from the
    wonderful person Matt Silberstein
    <RemoveThisPrefixmatts2nospam@ix.netcom.com> said
    >On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 18:43:28 +0100, in
    >comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage , A. J. Moss
    ><ajmoss@macpaint.fsworld.co.uk.invalid> in
    ><sh0sg19mtr75m7o7248jcmjg0oh8c385cj@4ax.com> wrote:
    >
    >>I bought five Western Digital WD2000JB PATA hard disks four weeks ago.
    >>One of them fails to format fully in Windows 2000, due to a large chunk
    >>of bad sectors; another one has begun sticking - at random intervals it
    >>makes a clunking noise, and no further disk access is possible without
    >>cycling the computer power.
    >>
    >>Obviously both these drives are going back, to be exchanged for what?
    >>Either two Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 160Gb PATA, or one 7200.8 300Gb
    >>PATA. (Which is better?)
    >>
    >>Should I insist that the other three disk drives, which are formatted in
    >>NTFS but as yet completely untested, go back as well?
    >
    >I would. How can you trust them? The cost of extra backups because of
    >uncertainty would be more than the drives.

    I'd second that. As to whether 2*160 or 1*300, I guess it depends what
    you plan to do with them. Basically 2 drives means you are twice as
    likely to have (one) of them fail .. if you are striping them that means
    you're twice as likely to lose the lot. If you are able to mirror them,
    then your reliability improves over 1 drive. If you are using them as
    'plain old drives' then I'd probably go with two (if there is space in
    the PC) - uses more electricity (marginally) but gives you a fallback -
    you could run with just one, iffin you had to.

    Seagate are currently the (7200 rpm) drive of choice it seems. Where did
    you get these WD drives from - sounds like they fell (heavily) off the
    back of a truck at some point! 'Fails to format' is something that
    shouldn't have left the factory..

    --
    GSV Three Minds in a Can
  5. Archived from groups: uk.comp.homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 19:58:51 GMT, CJT <abujlehc@prodigy.net> wrote:
    >I can't help thinking you're doing something wrong. As another poster
    >suggested, check cooling and power in particular. SMART is your friend.
    >If you have environmental problems, the Seagates will die, too.

    400W Tsunami PSU. Any good?

    Hard disk connected in the air path of the two 80mm input fans.
  6. Archived from groups: uk.comp.homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    A. J. Moss wrote:

    > On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 19:58:51 GMT, CJT <abujlehc@prodigy.net> wrote:
    >
    >>I can't help thinking you're doing something wrong. As another poster
    >>suggested, check cooling and power in particular. SMART is your friend.
    >>If you have environmental problems, the Seagates will die, too.
    >

    > 400W Tsunami PSU. Any good?
    >
    > Hard disk connected in the air path of the two 80mm input fans.

    The devil is always in the details. What does SMART say about the drive
    temps? There's no way to know without testing whether a particular
    power supply is up to spec.

  7. Archived from groups: uk.comp.homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    "CJT" <abujlehc@prodigy.net> wrote in message
    > A. J. Moss wrote:
    >> On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 19:58:51 GMT, CJT <abujlehc@prodigy.net> wrote:
    >>>I can't help thinking you're doing something wrong. As another poster
    >>>suggested, check cooling and power in particular. SMART is your friend.
    >>>If you have environmental problems, the Seagates will die, too.
    >> 400W Tsunami PSU. Any good?
    >> Hard disk connected in the air path of the two 80mm input fans.
    > The devil is always in the details. What does SMART say about the drive
    > temps? There's no way to know without testing whether a particular
    > power supply is up to spec.

    Sounds like a dropped box to me.... ?
    Thats the only time I've seen a large qty of drives all fail at the same
    time (20).
  8. Archived from groups: uk.comp.homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    "CJT" <abujlehc@prodigy.net> wrote in message news:430E22FA.6090202@prodigy.net...
    > A. J. Moss wrote:
    >
    > > I bought five Western Digital WD2000JB PATA hard disks four weeks ago.
    > > One of them fails to format fully in Windows 2000, due to a large chunk
    > > of bad sectors; another one has begun sticking - at random intervals it
    > > makes a clunking noise, and no further disk access is possible without
    > > cycling the computer power.
    > >
    > > Obviously both these drives are going back, to be exchanged for what?
    > > Either two Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 160Gb PATA, or one 7200.8 300Gb
    > > PATA. (Which is better?)
    > >
    > > Should I insist that the other three disk drives, which are formatted in
    > > NTFS but as yet completely untested, go back as well?
    >
    > I can't help thinking you're doing something wrong. As another poster
    > suggested, check cooling and power in particular. SMART is your friend.
    > If you have environmental problems, the Seagates will die, too.
    >
    > While one can argue about the relative merits of WD drives compared with
    > some others, they're not _that_ unreliable. (In fact, I think they're
    > on a par with the others +/-.) The only caveat is that if during
    > shipment they were subjected to major stress, one could see high
    > mortalities --

    > but again, that's true of any drive.

    But may differ in how resilient to bad handling they are.

    > --
    > The e-mail address in our reply-to line is reversed in an attempt to
    > minimize spam. Our true address is of the form che...@prodigy.net.
  9. Archived from groups: uk.comp.homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    Folkert Rienstra wrote:

    > "CJT" <abujlehc@prodigy.net> wrote in message news:430E22FA.6090202@prodigy.net...
    >
    >>A. J. Moss wrote:
    >>

    >>>I bought five Western Digital WD2000JB PATA hard disks four weeks ago.
    >>>One of them fails to format fully in Windows 2000, due to a large chunk
    >>>of bad sectors; another one has begun sticking - at random intervals it
    >>>makes a clunking noise, and no further disk access is possible without
    >>>cycling the computer power.
    >>>
    >>>Obviously both these drives are going back, to be exchanged for what?
    >>>Either two Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 160Gb PATA, or one 7200.8 300Gb
    >>>PATA. (Which is better?)
    >>>
    >>>Should I insist that the other three disk drives, which are formatted in
    >>>NTFS but as yet completely untested, go back as well?
    >>
    >>I can't help thinking you're doing something wrong. As another poster
    >>suggested, check cooling and power in particular. SMART is your friend.
    >>If you have environmental problems, the Seagates will die, too.
    >>
    >>While one can argue about the relative merits of WD drives compared with
    >>some others, they're not _that_ unreliable. (In fact, I think they're
    >>on a par with the others +/-.) The only caveat is that if during
    >>shipment they were subjected to major stress, one could see high
    >>mortalities --
    >

    >>but again, that's true of any drive.
    >

    > But may differ in how resilient to bad handling they are.

    Fair enough, but I haven't heard anybody make any claims in that regard
    specifically.

    >>--
    >>The e-mail address in our reply-to line is reversed in an attempt to
    >>minimize spam. Our true address is of the form che...@prodigy.net.

  10. Archived from groups: uk.comp.homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    "A. J. Moss" wrote:

    > I bought five Western Digital WD2000JB PATA hard disks four weeks ago.
    > One of them fails to format fully in Windows 2000, due to a large chunk
    > of bad sectors; another one has begun sticking - at random intervals it
    > makes a clunking noise, and no further disk access is possible without
    > cycling the computer power.
    >
    > Obviously both these drives are going back, to be exchanged for what?
    > Either two Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 160Gb PATA, or one 7200.8 300Gb
    > PATA. (Which is better?)
    >
    > Should I insist that the other three disk drives, which are formatted in
    > NTFS but as yet completely untested, go back as well?

    Out of a single box of 10 250GB Seagate drives, 8 failed.

    After problems with another batch and another drive from yet another
    batch, I decided against using the 250GB Seagates.

    That said, I still have about 5 or 6 in my systems that have caused no
    problems, but I will be replacing them with the 300GB drives in due
    course.

    Odie
    --
    Retrodata
    www.retrodata.co.uk

    On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 02:24:22 +0100, Odie Ferrous
    <odie_ferrous@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Out of a single box of 10 250GB Seagate drives, 8 failed.

    Could be that single box was the one that got dropped a bit hard, too.
    --
    Michael Cecil
    http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

    A. J. Moss <ajmoss@macpaint.fsworld.co.uk.invalid> wrote

    > I bought five Western Digital WD2000JB PATA hard disks four
    > weeks ago. One of them fails to format fully in Windows 2000,
    > due to a large chunk of bad sectors; another one has begun
    > sticking - at random intervals it makes a clunking noise, and no
    > further disk access is possible without cycling the computer power.

    > Obviously both these drives are going back, to be exchanged for what?

    I'd use Samsungs myself.

    > Either two Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 160Gb PATA,
    > or one 7200.8 300Gb PATA. (Which is better?)

    The 7200.8 300Gb PATA is a more recent design.

    > Should I insist that the other three disk drives, which are formatted
    > in NTFS but as yet completely untested, go back as well?

    I would with such an atrocious result. You sure your power supply is
    adequate and that you arent seeing some of the drives getting stinking
    hot because they are all mounted adjacent in the drive bay stack ?

    Use Everest to check what temperature the drives are running
    at and see what the SMART stats on those drives say.
    http://www.lavalys.com/products/overview.php?pid=1&lang=en

    Michael Cecil wrote:

    > On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 02:24:22 +0100, Odie Ferrous
    > <odie_ferrous@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Out of a single box of 10 250GB Seagate drives, 8 failed.
    >
    > Could be that single box was the one that got dropped a bit hard, too.

    That is a distinct possibility.

    However, I did have other drives from different batches / boxes (albeit
    from the same distributor) that failed.

    Odie
    --
    Retrodata
    www.retrodata.co.uk
    Globally Local Data Recovery Experts

    On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 21:17:41 +0100, Odie Ferrous
    <odie_ferrous@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Michael Cecil wrote:
    >>
    >> On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 02:24:22 +0100, Odie Ferrous
    >> <odie_ferrous@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Out of a single box of 10 250GB Seagate drives, 8 failed.
    >>
    >> Could be that single box was the one that got dropped a bit hard, too.
    >
    >That is a distinct possibility.
    >
    >However, I did have other drives from different batches / boxes (albeit
    >from the same distributor) that failed.
    >

    >Odie

    That reminds me of the one time I almost bought a drive at Fry's. It was
    on my way so I was browsing and noticed they had some really good deal on
    drives (I think it might have been 40GB Deathstars actually but this was
    before they all started going bad and StorageReview was still singing
    their praise). Anyhow, I tried to get one back in the aisle and was told
    that I'd have to ask for one at the register. So I went up to the
    registers and asked for one. The clerk goes off to some metal cage area
    and starts to come back with a bare OEM drive still in the antistatic
    wrap, only she trips a little and drops the drive. She recovers, walks
    over to the drive and picks it up, then proceeds to bring it to the
    register as if there was nothing wrong. I walked out at that point and
    made a mental note to never buy anything fragile from Fry's.
    --

    "Odie Ferrous" <odie_ferrous@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:430F78E5.C66EA0C5@hotmail.com
    > Michael Cecil wrote:
    > >
    > > On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 02:24:22 +0100, Odie Ferrous <odie_ferrous@hotmail.com> wrote:
    > >
    > > > Out of a single box of 10 250GB Seagate drives, 8 failed.
    > >
    > > Could be that single box was the one that got dropped a bit hard, too.
    >
    > That is a distinct possibility.

    In which case it would be clearly noticeable from the packaging.
    Unless the drives were repackaged, which borders on the criminal.
    If not, then the mfgr packaging is clearly inadequate for the
    handling that the drives normally receive during transit.

    > However, I did have other drives from different batches / boxes
    > (albeit from the same distributor) that failed.
    >

    > Odie
  16. Archived from groups: uk.comp.homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    "CJT" <abujlehc@prodigy.net> wrote in message
    > A. J. Moss wrote:
    >> On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 19:58:51 GMT, CJT <abujlehc@prodigy.net> wrote:
    >>>I can't help thinking you're doing something wrong. As another poster
    >>>suggested, check cooling and power in particular. SMART is your friend.
    >>>If you have environmental problems, the Seagates will die, too.
    >> 400W Tsunami PSU. Any good?
    >> Hard disk connected in the air path of the two 80mm input fans.
    > The devil is always in the details. What does SMART say about the drive
    > temps? There's no way to know without testing whether a particular
    > power supply is up to spec.

    ps - very handy free smart tool here.
    http://www.sysinfolab.com/download.htm

    --
    Cheerz - Brownz
  17. Archived from groups: uk.comp.homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 19:58:51 GMT, CJT <abujlehc@prodigy.net> wrote:
    >I can't help thinking you're doing something wrong. As another poster
    >suggested, check cooling and power in particular. SMART is your friend.
    >If you have environmental problems, the Seagates will die, too.

    Is it possible that a defective UDMA cable could cause the drive to
    clunk and stick? I had the cable for several years, swapping drives
    on a fairly frequent basis, and the middle connector wore out. It
    wasn't properly clipped at the back, and it just came apart when I
    pulled out the last hard disk.

    It was showing symptoms beforehand - either the disk connected to it
    would work, or it would fail to detect the drive's name string and size
    properly. If it managed that bit OK, it didn't seem to give any problems
    subsequently, and if it didn't, it was unusable and had to be pulled out
    and put back in again.

    I've changed the cable, and the drive that was sticking now *seems* to
    be working (although the only testing I've done is to copy the data off
    it onto a more reliable disk). I haven't yet tested the one that didn't
    format fully.
  18. Archived from groups: uk.comp.homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    A. J. Moss wrote:

    > On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 19:58:51 GMT, CJT <abujlehc@prodigy.net> wrote:
    >
    >>I can't help thinking you're doing something wrong. As another poster
    >>suggested, check cooling and power in particular. SMART is your friend.
    >>If you have environmental problems, the Seagates will die, too.
    >

    > Is it possible that a defective UDMA cable could cause the drive to
    > clunk and stick? I had the cable for several years, swapping drives
    > on a fairly frequent basis, and the middle connector wore out. It
    > wasn't properly clipped at the back, and it just came apart when I
    > pulled out the last hard disk.

    It's certainly possible.

    > It was showing symptoms beforehand - either the disk connected to it
    > would work, or it would fail to detect the drive's name string and size
    > properly. If it managed that bit OK, it didn't seem to give any problems
    > subsequently, and if it didn't, it was unusable and had to be pulled out
    > and put back in again.
    >
    > I've changed the cable, and the drive that was sticking now *seems* to
    > be working (although the only testing I've done is to copy the data off
    > it onto a more reliable disk). I haven't yet tested the one that didn't
    > format fully.

  19. Archived from groups: uk.comp.homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    "Biffa Bacon (mobile)" <someone.not@microsoft.com> wrote in message news:mN_Pe.129$76.66@newsfe5-gui.ntli.net...
    > "CJT" <abujlehc@prodigy.net> wrote in message news:430E4489.5090004@prodigy.net...
    > > A. J. Moss wrote:
    > > > 400W Tsunami PSU. Any good?
    > > > Hard disk connected in the air path of the two 80mm input fans.
    > > The devil is always in the details. What does SMART say about the drive
    > > temps? There's no way to know without testing whether a particular
    > > power supply is up to spec.
    >
    > ps - very handy free smart tool here.
    > http://www.sysinfolab.com/download.htm

    "Unlike other similar utilities, the program supports drives using external UDMA/SATA controllers (HPT/Promise/FastTrack)"

    Gee, that must be quite some program.

    > --
    > Cheerz - Brownz

Storage Product