Corrupt MPEGs

I recently got a new PC, and transferred all my stuff via DVD+RW.

Now I've found that four video files (3 MPEGs and one AVI) cannot be
read on my new PC. These are files which I had no problems reading on my
old PC.

In one case, I was able to re-download the original version of the file.
I found that my unplayable version was 5195 bytes longer than the
original. The first 1240 bytes are all hex FF.

I haven't seen any sign of any other files being damaged. I've done a
full scan with Norton, which didn't find anything.

Anyone got any ideas?
1 answer Last reply
More about corrupt mpegs

    In microsoft.public.windowsxp.video, Andrew R. Gillett wrote:
    > I recently got a new PC, and transferred all my stuff via DVD+RW.
    >
    > Now I've found that four video files (3 MPEGs and one AVI) cannot be
    > read on my new PC. These are files which I had no problems reading on my
    > old PC.
    >
    > In one case, I was able to re-download the original version of the file.
    > I found that my unplayable version was 5195 bytes longer than the
    > original. The first 1240 bytes are all hex FF.
    >
    > I haven't seen any sign of any other files being damaged. I've done a
    > full scan with Norton, which didn't find anything.

    Turns out I needed the MPEG2 codec (would have been nice if WMP could
    give better information on what is needed to play a video); and the file
    which had changed size had been corrupted for a long time.

Video Windows XP