What's causing scrambled HDDs?

I have two hard drives in my system, one for programs and one for data.
Last month the data drive crashed -- I was working along when suddenly
all its files abruptly disappeared, though the folders remained intact.

I no sooner finished recovering all the data from that HDD -- just
today -- when the same thing happened to my other drive.

What are some possible causes for this behavior? Power surge? Bad
RAM? Voodoo curse? Repeated virus scans come back clean.

Ian Roberts wrote:
> <DennisQWilson@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >I have two hard drives in my system, one for programs and one for data.
> > Last month the data drive crashed -- I was working along when suddenly
> > all its files abruptly disappeared, though the folders remained intact.
> >

> > I no sooner finished recovering all the data from that HDD -- just
> > today -- when the same thing happened to my other drive.
> >
> > What are some possible causes for this behavior? Power surge? Bad
> > RAM? Voodoo curse? Repeated virus scans come back clean.
>
> Could be a power supply problem.
>
> Could be the drives over heating. Do you know what your case and CPU temps
> are? If not try Motherboard monitor (MBM5) Is your system running 24/7? if
> so you may have just worn them out!
>
> What make/model are the drives?
>
> Could be a virus - is your anti virus and firewall kept up to date and do
> you run regular system scans?
>
> Hope you kept backups and didnt lose anything important.

Yes, I make regular backups, so my actual data loss was minimal. Right
now I'm more concerned with what's causing this so I can prevent it
from happening again.

How does one go about testing the power supply?

<DennisQWilson@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I have two hard drives in my system, one for programs and one for data.
> Last month the data drive crashed -- I was working along when suddenly
> all its files abruptly disappeared, though the folders remained intact.
>

> I no sooner finished recovering all the data from that HDD -- just
> today -- when the same thing happened to my other drive.
>
> What are some possible causes for this behavior? Power surge? Bad
> RAM? Voodoo curse? Repeated virus scans come back clean.

Hard drive temperatures ??.

<DennisQWilson@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I have two hard drives in my system, one for programs and one for data.
> Last month the data drive crashed -- I was working along when suddenly
> all its files abruptly disappeared, though the folders remained intact.
>

> I no sooner finished recovering all the data from that HDD -- just
> today -- when the same thing happened to my other drive.
>
> What are some possible causes for this behavior? Power surge? Bad
> RAM? Voodoo curse? Repeated virus scans come back clean.

Could be a power supply problem.

Could be the drives over heating. Do you know what your case and CPU temps
are? If not try Motherboard monitor (MBM5) Is your system running 24/7? if
so you may have just worn them out!

What make/model are the drives?

Could be a virus - is your anti virus and firewall kept up to date and do
you run regular system scans?

Hope you kept backups and didnt lose anything important.

Ian

"old jon" <ImNotIn@ntlworld.com.invalid> wrote in message news:TukQe.12458$x4.2882@newsfe3-gui.ntli.net...

> <DennisQWilson@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >I have two hard drives in my system, one for programs and one for data.
> > Last month the data drive crashed -- I was working along when suddenly
> > all its files abruptly disappeared, though the folders remained intact.
> >

> > I no sooner finished recovering all the data from that HDD -- just
> > today -- when the same thing happened to my other drive.
> >
> > What are some possible causes for this behavior? Power surge? Bad
> > RAM? Voodoo curse? Repeated virus scans come back clean.
> >
> Hard drive temperatures ??.

Ah yes, high temperatures cleaning out directories cleanly.
What next.

Steve Billnitzer <nitz@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Ian Roberts wrote:
>> <DennisQWilson@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> I have two hard drives in my system, one for programs and one for
>>> data. Last month the data drive crashed -- I was working along when
>>> suddenly all its files abruptly disappeared, though the folders
>>> remained intact.
>>>

>>> I no sooner finished recovering all the data from that HDD -- just
>>> today -- when the same thing happened to my other drive.
>>>
>>> What are some possible causes for this behavior? Power surge? Bad
>>> RAM? Voodoo curse? Repeated virus scans come back clean.
>>
>> Could be a power supply problem.
>>
>> Could be the drives over heating. Do you know what your case and CPU
>> temps are? If not try Motherboard monitor (MBM5) Is your system
>> running 24/7? if so you may have just worn them out!
>>
>> What make/model are the drives?
>>
>> Could be a virus - is your anti virus and firewall kept up to date
>> and do you run regular system scans?
>>
>> Hope you kept backups and didnt lose anything important.
>
> Yes, I make regular backups, so my actual data loss was minimal.
> Right now I'm more concerned with what's causing this so I can
> prevent it from happening again.
>
> How does one go about testing the power supply?

Its very unlikely to be the power supply or drive heat if you always see
just the contents of folders deleted and never any other undesirable effects.

That's gotta be a virus or something like that.