Best method to backup and Recover Windows XP Pro and Windo..

Hi folks,

There are various methods of backing up via operating systems , using
"ghost software" to hdd-hdd backup or using "partition magic software".

Appreciate if you can share your experiences what are the methods that
was used and the pro and cons !

thanks in advance
JC
7 answers Last reply
More about best method backup recover windows windo

    "JC" <Jhayi22@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi folks,
    >
    > There are various methods of backing up via operating systems , using
    > "ghost software" to hdd-hdd backup or using "partition magic software".
    >
    > Appreciate if you can share your experiences what are the methods that
    > was used and the pro and cons !
    >

    > thanks in advance
    > JC

    To be recommended is Acronis True Image. After installation. you can create
    a self booting CD. It`s compatible with USB drives as well as internal
    drives. Does everything you want.
    Best wishes..OJ

    "JC" <Jhayi22@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi folks,
    >
    > There are various methods of backing up via operating systems , using
    > "ghost software" to hdd-hdd backup or using "partition magic software".
    >
    > Appreciate if you can share your experiences what are the methods that
    > was used and the pro and cons !
    >

    > thanks in advance
    > JC

    Hi JC

    I use Drive Image 7. Its saved the day on a few occasions! (Its now sold as
    Symantec Ghost 9 that may have other issues I'm not aware of since I havent
    used it).

    DI7 The pros:

    I can be sure that everything on the drive is saved and not have to worry
    about forgetting anything ie files that may have been saved in the wrong
    folder.

    Its reliable. I have scheduled backups that run every Thursday night. Then
    on Friday morning I burn the image segments to DVD-RW.

    Its very fast. On my system it takes 40 mins to create and verify an image
    of an 18Gb partition to another partition reserved for saving images to. I
    once used Nero backup to do the same and it took over 9hrs and I couldnt use
    my PC!!! Of course the amount of time it takes will depend on the speed of
    your drives and processor and what level of compression is used.

    You can save an image of an active system ie the very same drive than DI and
    Windows are running from! (Though you should be aware that some files wont
    save properly if the files are open eg Outlook Express Message Folders so
    its best to close OE before imaging the drive OE messages are saved on.)

    You can restore individual files/folders or the whole partition to any
    location.

    You can password protect the images.

    You can browse the contents of the images just like using windows explorer
    on an HDD.

    The only cons I can think of...

    You need to have sufficient drive space to save the images to. I use a
    second drive for that very purpose. I wouldnt bother saving directly to DVD
    or CD as it takes too long and if the disk write fails you lose the whole
    thing so it could be a waste of time. I write to HDD first then use Nero to
    copy to DVD later. Thats the only pain but it works. Once in a while I copy
    the image segments to hispeed DVD-R and make several copies to store in
    different locations.

    YMMV but thats my take on it and throughly recommend it.

    Guess it depends on how much data you need to backup.

    HTH

    Ian

    Previously JC <Jhayi22@gmail.com> wrote:
    > Hi folks,

    > There are various methods of backing up via operating systems , using
    > "ghost software" to hdd-hdd backup or using "partition magic software".

    > Appreciate if you can share your experiences what are the methods that
    > was used and the pro and cons !

    Creating a partition image with Linux. Fast and clean.
    Since I have only FAT32 (for the exact reason to allow
    Linux access), the first thing I do is fill up the empty
    space with zeros and the do a compressed partition image
    with 'cat' and 'bzip2'.

    Disadvantages: No OS specific possibilities like partition
    resizeing or the like.

    Arno

    "Arno Wagner" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
    > Previously JC <Jhayi22@gmail.com> wrote:
    > > Hi folks,
    >
    > > There are various methods of backing up via operating systems , using
    > > "ghost software" to hdd-hdd backup or using "partition magic software".
    >
    > > Appreciate if you can share your experiences what are the methods that
    > > was used and the pro and cons !
    >
    > Creating a partition image with Linux. Fast and clean.
    > Since I have only FAT32 (for the exact reason to allow
    > Linux access), the first thing I do is fill up the empty
    > space with zeros and the do a compressed partition image
    > with 'cat' and 'bzip2'.
    >
    > Disadvantages: No OS specific possibilities like partition
    > resizeing or the like.
    >
    > Arno

    Another disadvantage is relatively poor image performance and the lack of
    image integrity check.

    Previously Peter <peterfoxghost@yahoo.ca> wrote:

    > "Arno Wagner" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
    >> Previously JC <Jhayi22@gmail.com> wrote:
    >> > Hi folks,
    >>
    >> > There are various methods of backing up via operating systems , using
    >> > "ghost software" to hdd-hdd backup or using "partition magic software".
    >>
    >> > Appreciate if you can share your experiences what are the methods that
    >> > was used and the pro and cons !
    >>
    >> Creating a partition image with Linux. Fast and clean.
    >> Since I have only FAT32 (for the exact reason to allow
    >> Linux access), the first thing I do is fill up the empty
    >> space with zeros and the do a compressed partition image
    >> with 'cat' and 'bzip2'.
    >>
    >> Disadvantages: No OS specific possibilities like partition
    >> resizeing or the like.
    >>
    >> Arno

    > Another disadvantage is relatively poor image performance and the lack of
    > image integrity check.

    Performance: Whatever the compressor gives. No compressor => ~25MB/s.
    I would not call that bad...

    Integrity check: None, but I do comparison to the original. This is
    a fundamental problem with all sector imagers. Of course I can allways
    mount via loopback, but ther is no filesystem checker for FAT32 under
    linux that I know of.

    Arno

    > > Another disadvantage is relatively poor image performance and the lack
    of
    > > image integrity check.
    >
    > Performance: Whatever the compressor gives. No compressor => ~25MB/s.
    > I would not call that bad...

    "No compressor" ?
    Do you normally take image with no compression? I don't think so.
    To me image performance is the time required to take an image,
    relative to original partition/disk size.
    For the same partition/disk, I compare image taking times between
    Ghost 8.x , TI or Linux image tool. Usually Ghost is fastest,
    TI second and Linux the slowest.

    > Integrity check: None, but I do comparison to the original. This is
    > a fundamental problem with all sector imagers. Of course I can allways
    > mount via loopback, but ther is no filesystem checker for FAT32 under
    > linux that I know of.

    How you do comparison to the original?

    The Western Digital software copied the complete boot partition
    from my old WD80 to the new WD200.

    "JC" <Jhayi22@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi folks,
    >
    > There are various methods of backing up via operating systems , using
    > "ghost software" to hdd-hdd backup or using "partition magic software".
    >
    > Appreciate if you can share your experiences what are the methods that
    > was used and the pro and cons !
    >

    > thanks in advance
    > JC

Backup Hard Drives Software Storage