Saving WIndows Movie Maker Files

Hi - I have been using Movie Maker for a few weeks just fine.

I ran out of memory and had to save a movie to CD. Now, I can't seem to
find a way to change the settings when I Save to My COmputer to save it back
into Movie Maker files.

It is saving into a .wma extension and I can't access it to work on the
project again.

Also - when opening projects, how do you close out the previous one?

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks

More information. I notice when I try to save the movies in MovieMaker The
Setting Details (the sectionon the bottom left part of the screen) say:

"Windows Media Audio/Video File"

WHen this was working correctly the Setting detail said:
"Windows Movie Maker Project" These projects are the ones that I can open
and work with.

When I try to open a Windows Media Audio/Video File in MOvie Maker (which is
the where I saved it) it tells me that the file ___.wmv is not a valid
MovieMaker project file. To import, Click on Import Collections.

If I do this, it imports the data into a new collection which I cannot work
with (it combines the audio/videa for each slide).

I guess what I need to know is how to get the settings back to the Movie
Maker Projects so taht I can access the projects, work on them, etc.

I have searched the Help topics and cannot find anything that tells me how
to change this.

THanks!

"Bleeke5" wrote:

> Hi - I have been using Movie Maker for a few weeks just fine.
>
> I ran out of memory and had to save a movie to CD. Now, I can't seem to
> find a way to change the settings when I Save to My COmputer to save it back
> into Movie Maker files.
>
> It is saving into a .wma extension and I can't access it to work on the
> project again.
>
> Also - when opening projects, how do you close out the previous one?
>
> Any help is appreciated!
>
> Thanks

Graham - thank you for responding. I see you resopnd a lot to help people.
It is appreciated.

What you suggest is not my problem. I can open project files and edit them
if the have the .wswmm extension. What I can't open is the files that I have
savd in the last few days that somehow have a .wma or .wmv extension.

WHen I try to save new or edited projects, the Setting Details show that I
am saving into Windows Media, not into the Movie Maker and the .wswmm files
for some reason.

This seemed to occur after I saved one project to a CD instead of to Save to
My Computer. I have tried to change the setting detail, select other choices
for saving, etc. but when I do, it saves it into a .wmv extension and I
cannot open this into a project in Movie Maker - it imports the project as a
Collection and not a project and the collection does not work for editing,
playback.

Does this make sense? I am trying to finish a bunch of short clips for one
movie for a Christmas gift and am starting to wonder if I can do it.

"Bleeke5" wrote:

> Hi - I have been using Movie Maker for a few weeks just fine.
>
> I ran out of memory and had to save a movie to CD. Now, I can't seem to
> find a way to change the settings when I Save to My COmputer to save it back
> into Movie Maker files.
>
> It is saving into a .wma extension and I can't access it to work on the
> project again.
>
> Also - when opening projects, how do you close out the previous one?
>
> Any help is appreciated!
>
> Thanks

A project is all the details of a movie such as where the movie files are
stored, which transitions are used etc. This is saved by going file save
project or save project as.
The wma or wmv files are the actual movie, this will play in WMP etc. This
is saved by going file, save movie file.

To open a project just go, file, open project or CTRL O and then navigate to
where you saved the project, which will have a MSWMM extension.

--
Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media