ray

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2001

I have a dying harddisk on a notebook computer and need to be replaced.
Since the recovery software is stored somewhere on the harddisk (may be
hidden or on other partition), I need to copy the disk rather than make
clean install. Is there any practical way and points to note to accomplish
this job effectively?

Thanks,

Ray

Previously Ray <NoSpam-LiZhiQiang1@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a dying harddisk on a notebook computer and need to be replaced.
> Since the recovery software is stored somewhere on the harddisk (may be
> hidden or on other partition), I need to copy the disk rather than make
> clean install. Is there any practical way and points to note to accomplish
> this job effectively?

If it is a ThinkPad, the one thing I can tell you is that any
ordinarly imaging software does not copy the hidden recovery
part, since it is hidden by the HDD firmware. Thie means only
software aware of the this specific, unstandardised feature
of the HDD is able to copy the recovery part off. However IBM
will send you recovery CDs for free if you tell them that the
original disk has become unusable.

If it some other manufacturer, ordinary imaging software
may or may not do the trick.

Arno

The weekend is nigh.

"Arno Wagner" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message news:3nmto8F2aflgU1@individual.net...
> Previously Ray <NoSpam-LiZhiQiang1@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I have a dying harddisk on a notebook computer and need to be replaced.
> > Since the recovery software is stored somewhere on the harddisk (may be
> > hidden or on other partition), I need to copy the disk rather than make
> > clean install. Is there any practical way and points to note to accomplish
> > this job effectively?
>
> If it is a ThinkPad, the one thing I can tell you is that any
> ordinarly imaging software does not copy the hidden recovery
> part, since it is hidden by the HDD firmware. Thie means only
> software aware of the this

> specific, unstandardised feature

It *is* a standardized feature, babble mouth!
You should try and read the ATA papers sometime on
the one day in the week that you are relatively sober.

And it's not only IBM that is using it.

> of the HDD is able to copy the recovery part off. However IBM
> will send you recovery CDs for free if you tell them that the
> original disk has become unusable.
>
> If it some other manufacturer, ordinary imaging software
> may or may not do the trick.
>
> Arno

Ray <NoSpam-LiZhiQiang1@GMail.com> wrote:

> I have a dying harddisk on a notebook computer and need to be
> replaced. Since the recovery software is stored somewhere on the
> harddisk (may be hidden or on other partition), I need to copy the
> disk rather than make clean install. Is there any practical way

Really depends on how bad the drive is currently.

It is possible to clone the drive to a new one, but that wont
be very successful if its got quite a few bad sectors already.
The most its normally useful for is recovering what is recoverable,
its not a magic wand to make bad sectors irrelevant.

> and points to note to accomplish this job effectively?

ray

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2001

Arno,

You are right. I tried to use Ghost v9 to upgrade the hard disk to a larger
hard disk. The whole process is completed successfully. After I replaced
the hard disk, it booted up to Windows logon menu and then hanged.

Ray