At Wits' End

To All Cognoscenti, Greeting!

I've already posted here the story of my tribulations caused by heat damage
to my HDDs. The damaged drives have at last been replaced, including the
GigaByte motherboard that had a bad IDE controller. Now I'm struggling with
the task of rebuilding my operating system (Windows XP Prof.) and all
application programs, and therein lies the problem. The new motherboard is a
K7S741MG that came with a WinFast Utility CD, Version 1.0. According to the
instructions that came with the motherboard, this CD contains the drivers
needed for this mother board. Trouble is, when I install these drivers I
lose the sound (Creative SoundBlaster). If I don't install WinFast, the
sound is soon last anyway, and I have trouble installing other components of
the system.

Any help to overcome these problems would be much appreciated.

Andy

Previously Andrew Manninger <kanadaiy@telus.net> wrote:
> To All Cognoscenti, Greeting!

> I've already posted here the story of my tribulations caused by heat damage
> to my HDDs. The damaged drives have at last been replaced, including the
> GigaByte motherboard that had a bad IDE controller. Now I'm struggling with
> the task of rebuilding my operating system (Windows XP Prof.) and all
> application programs, and therein lies the problem. The new motherboard is a
> K7S741MG that came with a WinFast Utility CD, Version 1.0. According to the
> instructions that came with the motherboard, this CD contains the drivers
> needed for this mother board. Trouble is, when I install these drivers I
> lose the sound (Creative SoundBlaster). If I don't install WinFast, the
> sound is soon last anyway, and I have trouble installing other components of
> the system.

> Any help to overcome these problems would be much appreciated.

Ugly. Can you assign the soundcard a different IRQ? Sometimes
this helps. The place to do this is in the device manager.

Arno

Andy

Arno,

"Arno Wagner" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> Previously Andrew Manninger <kanadaiy@telus.net> wrote:
> > To All Cognoscenti, Greeting!
>
> > I've already posted here the story of my tribulations caused by heat
damage
> > to my HDDs. The damaged drives have at last been replaced, including the
> > GigaByte motherboard that had a bad IDE controller. Now I'm struggling
with
> > the task of rebuilding my operating system (Windows XP Prof.) and all
> > application programs, and therein lies the problem. The new motherboard
is a
> > K7S741MG that came with a WinFast Utility CD, Version 1.0. According to
the
> > instructions that came with the motherboard, this CD contains the
drivers
> > needed for this mother board. Trouble is, when I install these drivers I
> > lose the sound (Creative SoundBlaster). If I don't install WinFast, the
> > sound is soon last anyway, and I have trouble installing other
components of
> > the system.
>
> > Any help to overcome these problems would be much appreciated.
>
> Ugly. Can you assign the soundcard a different IRQ? Sometimes
> this helps. The place to do this is in the device manager.

Could you please give me step-by-step instuctions to do this? I can get to
Device Manager, but there I get stuck.

Andy

Andy wrote:

> Arno,
>
> "Arno Wagner" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> > Previously Andrew Manninger <kanadaiy@telus.net> wrote:
> > > To All Cognoscenti, Greeting!
> >
> > > I've already posted here the story of my tribulations caused by heat
> damage
> > > to my HDDs. The damaged drives have at last been replaced, including the
> > > GigaByte motherboard that had a bad IDE controller. Now I'm struggling
> with
> > > the task of rebuilding my operating system (Windows XP Prof.) and all
> > > application programs, and therein lies the problem. The new motherboard
> is a
> > > K7S741MG that came with a WinFast Utility CD, Version 1.0. According to
> the
> > > instructions that came with the motherboard, this CD contains the
> drivers
> > > needed for this mother board. Trouble is, when I install these drivers I
> > > lose the sound (Creative SoundBlaster). If I don't install WinFast, the
> > > sound is soon last anyway, and I have trouble installing other
> components of
> > > the system.
> >
> > > Any help to overcome these problems would be much appreciated.
> >
> > Ugly. Can you assign the soundcard a different IRQ? Sometimes
> > this helps. The place to do this is in the device manager.
> >

> Could you please give me step-by-step instuctions to do this? I can get to
> Device Manager, but there I get stuck.
>
> Andy
>
> > Arno

Hello, Andy:

Access your new mainboard's BIOS setup screen, and disable "PNP O/S," if
this setting is available.

Otherwise, it's quite doubtful that you'll be able to change any PnP
(Plug-n-Play) card's IRQ. Some of them (e.g., a few of my ancient ISA
modems) feature jumpers, allowing IRQ's to be altered, manually.

If you'd still care to give it a try, though, here's how (in Windows
Millennium, not sure about XP):

Once in Device Manager/Computer, scroll to "Sound, video and game
controllers." Double-click the Sound Blaster's icon, go to its
"Resources" tab," and then, uncheck the "Use automatic settings" box
(by default, "Interupt Request" will be highlighted, in the "Resource
type" window). Now, click the "Change Settings" button; most likely,
you'll see a pop-up box, which states:

"No modifications allowed

This resource setting cannot be modified."

If, by some odd chance, you're not greeted with such a disappointing
sight, proceed to select a different IRQ, please. <g>

Good luck!

Cordially,
John Turco <jtur@concentric.net>

"Andy" <kanadaiy@telus.net> wrote in message news:kkaSe.253546$on1.211624@clgrps13...
> Arno,
>
> "Arno Wagner" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> > Previously Andrew Manninger <kanadaiy@telus.net> wrote:
> > > To All Cognoscenti, Greeting!
> >
> > > I've already posted here the story of my tribulations caused by heat
> damage
> > > to my HDDs. The damaged drives have at last been replaced, including the
> > > GigaByte motherboard that had a bad IDE controller. Now I'm struggling
> with
> > > the task of rebuilding my operating system (Windows XP Prof.) and all
> > > application programs, and therein lies the problem. The new motherboard
> is a
> > > K7S741MG that came with a WinFast Utility CD, Version 1.0. According to
> the
> > > instructions that came with the motherboard, this CD contains the
> drivers
> > > needed for this mother board. Trouble is, when I install these drivers I
> > > lose the sound (Creative SoundBlaster). If I don't install WinFast, the
> > > sound is soon last anyway, and I have trouble installing other
> components of
> > > the system.

You have a PCI SoundBlaster. The built-in audio is MUCH better.

> > > Any help to overcome these problems would be much appreciated.
> >
> > Ugly. Can you assign the soundcard a different IRQ? Sometimes
> > this helps. The place to do this is in the device manager.

Arnie, you stupid git. Device Manager has never offered this.

> Could you please give me step-by-step instuctions to do this? I can get to
> Device Manager, but there I get stuck.

Throw away the SoundBlaster.

iago

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002

Andrew Manninger wrote:
> To All Cognoscenti, Greeting!
>
> I've already posted here the story of my tribulations caused by heat damage
> to my HDDs. The damaged drives have at last been replaced, including the
> GigaByte motherboard that had a bad IDE controller. Now I'm struggling with
> the task of rebuilding my operating system (Windows XP Prof.) and all
> application programs, and therein lies the problem. The new motherboard is a
> K7S741MG that came with a WinFast Utility CD, Version 1.0. According to the
> instructions that came with the motherboard, this CD contains the drivers
> needed for this mother board. Trouble is, when I install these drivers I
> lose the sound (Creative SoundBlaster). If I don't install WinFast, the
> sound is soon last anyway, and I have trouble installing other components of
> the system.
>
> Any help to overcome these problems would be much appreciated.
>
> Andy

Man, you're in for a long ride and probably won't be smooth. On the
positive side, you'll learn a lot from this experience.

To second what others said, keep it simple. Start with a minimum core
(mobo+ disk + graphic card if needed) and install Windows and mobo
drivers by the book.

When everything works to your satisfaction move on to add the other HW
and SW stuff, ONE AT A TIME. Return to the beginning of previous
sentence until you have everything you need installed.

Good luck

Here is the webpage with drivers from Foxconn for your motherboard.
http://www.foxconnchannel.com/productsDownload_motherboard2.cfm?pMotherboard=K7S741MG-6L

Here is the SIS webpage with even newer drivers for your motherboard.
http://www.sis.com/download/

You might consider leaving out the Sound blaster and using built-in sound.
Sound Blasters are considered Bus Hogs
Which model Sound Blaster are you using?

Also go into the bios and disable things you will not use, like parallel and
serial ports.
It will free up some IRQs, which might help the Sound Blaster work better.

To get into the bios, need to hit "Delete" key
in the first few seconds when the computer is first turned on (boot up).

"Andrew Manninger" <kanadaiy@telus.net> wrote in message
> To All Cognoscenti, Greeting!
>
> I've already posted here the story of my tribulations caused by heat
> damage to my HDDs. The damaged drives have at last been replaced,
> including the GigaByte motherboard that had a bad IDE controller. Now I'm
> struggling with the task of rebuilding my operating system (Windows XP
> Prof.) and all application programs, and therein lies the problem. The new
> motherboard is a K7S741MG that came with a WinFast Utility CD, Version
> 1.0. According to the instructions that came with the motherboard, this CD
> contains the drivers needed for this mother board. Trouble is, when I
> install these drivers I lose the sound (Creative SoundBlaster). If I don't
> install WinFast, the sound is soon last anyway, and I have trouble
> installing other components of the system.
>
> Any help to overcome these problems would be much appreciated.
>
> Andy

Andy

Hello, Tod,

"tod" <no_spam_i@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Here is the webpage with drivers from Foxconn for your motherboard.
> http://www.foxconnchannel.com/productsDownload_motherboard2.cfm?pMotherboard=K7S741MG-6L
>
> Here is the SIS webpage with even newer drivers for your motherboard.
> http://www.sis.com/download/
>
> You might consider leaving out the Sound blaster and using built-in sound.
> Sound Blasters are considered Bus Hogs
> Which model Sound Blaster are you using?

It's a Realtek AC'97 board. The guy who sold me the computer said it would
provide better sound than the built-in sound. I'm getting the impression
that he screwed me in more ways than one. The poblem I have with discarding
the Realtek AC'97 is that it has 4 jacks, 2 for the speakers, 1 for the
earphone and 1 for the microphone. The mother board has only 3 jacks: green,
red and blue. So I'm short one jack there.

Andy wrote:

> Hello, Tod,
>
> "tod" <no_spam_i@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> Here is the webpage with drivers from Foxconn for your motherboard.

http://www.foxconnchannel.com/productsDownload_motherboard2.cfm?pMotherboard=K7S741MG-6L

>> Here is the SIS webpage with even newer drivers for your motherboard.
>> http://www.sis.com/download/
>>
>> You might consider leaving out the Sound blaster and using built-in
>> sound. Sound Blasters are considered Bus Hogs
>> Which model Sound Blaster are you using?
>
> It's a Realtek AC'97 board. The guy who sold me the computer said it would
> provide better sound than the built-in sound.

Probably has the same chip as your motherboard.

> I'm getting the impression
> that he screwed me in more ways than one. The poblem I have with
> discarding the Realtek AC'97 is that it has 4 jacks, 2 for the speakers, 1
> for the earphone and 1 for the microphone. The mother board has only 3
> jacks: green, red and blue. So I'm short one jack there.

There's also a front audio connector on the motherboard--not sure what it
does when the rears are set for surround but there is a microphone in and
left and right headphone jacks.

You might also want to consider a USB microphone--onboard sound is usually
noisy--this isn't too big an issue on playback unless you're really picky,
but on recording it can make a major difference, and the USB mike by
digitizing the sound externally works around that. Makes a remarkable
difference on voice recognition. Plantronics and Andrea both have some
nice noise-cancelling models, and Andrea also has a dongle that lets you
hook just about any microphone to a USB port.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

The ALC655 sound chip built in to the motherboard can handle 5.1 channel (6
speaker setup).
You just need to load the audio application. It should be able to change the
functions of the 3 jacks.
Check the "User Manual/Easy Installation Guide"

Eric Gisin <ericgisin@hotmail.com> wrote:
> "Andy" <kanadaiy@telus.net> wrote in message
>> Arno,
>>
>> "Arno Wagner" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message

>> damage
>> with
>> is a
>> the
>> drivers
>> components of
>
> You have a PCI SoundBlaster. The built-in audio is MUCH better.

>>> Ugly. Can you assign the soundcard a different IRQ? Sometimes
>>> this helps. The place to do this is in the device manager.
>>>
> Arnie, you stupid git. Device Manager has never offered this.
>>
>> Could you please give me step-by-step instuctions to do this? I can
>> get to Device Manager, but there I get stuck.
>>
> Throw away the SoundBlaster.

Eric Gisin <ericgisin@hotmail.com> wrote:
> "Andy" <kanadaiy@telus.net> wrote in message
>> Arno,
>>
>> "Arno Wagner" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message

>> damage
>> with
>> is a
>> the
>> drivers
>> components of
>
> You have a PCI SoundBlaster. The built-in audio is MUCH better.

>>> Ugly. Can you assign the soundcard a different IRQ? Sometimes
>>> this helps. The place to do this is in the device manager.

> Arnie, you stupid git. Device Manager has never offered this.

Corse it has, in conjunction with the bios PnP setting.

>> Could you please give me step-by-step instuctions to do this? I can
>> get to Device Manager, but there I get stuck.
>>
> Throw away the SoundBlaster.

Andy <kanadaiy@telus.net> wrote
> tod <no_spam_i@earthlink.net> wrote

>> Here is the webpage with drivers from Foxconn for your motherboard.
>> http://www.foxconnchannel.com/productsDownload_motherboard2.cfm?pMotherboard=K7S741MG-6L

>> Here is the SIS webpage with even newer drivers for your motherboard.
>> http://www.sis.com/download/

>> You might consider leaving out the Sound blaster and using built-in sound.
>> Sound Blasters are considered Bus Hogs. Which model Sound Blaster are you
>> using?

> It's a Realtek AC'97 board. The guy who sold me the computer said it
> would provide better sound than the built-in sound. I'm getting the
> impression that he screwed me in more ways than one. The poblem I
> have with discarding the Realtek AC'97 is that it has 4 jacks, 2 for
> the speakers, 1 for the earphone and 1 for the microphone. The mother
> board has only 3 jacks: green, red and blue. So I'm short one jack there.

Thats just a different approach to the use of jacks. The older soundblaster
cards had the jacks hard wired with one exception and the newer builtin
sound systems have the jacks configurable by software instead.

>> Also go into the bios and disable things you will not use, like
>> parallel and serial ports.
>> It will free up some IRQs, which might help the Sound Blaster work
>> better. To get into the bios, need to hit "Delete" key
>> in the first few seconds when the computer is first turned on (boot
>> up). "Andrew Manninger" <kanadaiy@telus.net> wrote in message
>>> To All Cognoscenti, Greeting!
>>>
>>> I've already posted here the story of my tribulations caused by heat
>>> damage to my HDDs. The damaged drives have at last been replaced,
>>> including the GigaByte motherboard that had a bad IDE controller.
>>> Now I'm struggling with the task of rebuilding my operating system
>>> (Windows XP Prof.) and all application programs, and therein lies
>>> the problem. The new motherboard is a K7S741MG that came with a
>>> WinFast Utility CD, Version 1.0. According to the instructions that
>>> came with the motherboard, this CD contains the drivers needed for
>>> this mother board. Trouble is, when I install these drivers I lose
>>> the sound (Creative SoundBlaster). If I don't install WinFast, the
>>> sound is soon last anyway, and I have trouble installing other
>>> components of the system. Any help to overcome these problems would be much
>>> appreciated.
>>>
>>> Andy

Andy

Hi Eric,

"Eric Gisin" <ericgisin@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "Andy" <kanadaiy@telus.net> wrote in message
>> Arno,
>>
>> "Arno Wagner" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message

>> damage
>> with
>> is a
>> the
>> drivers
>> components of
>
> You have a PCI SoundBlaster. The built-in audio is MUCH better.

>> > Ugly. Can you assign the soundcard a different IRQ? Sometimes
>> > this helps. The place to do this is in the device manager.
>> >
> Arnie, you stupid git. Device Manager has never offered this.
>>
>> Could you please give me step-by-step instuctions to do this? I can get
>> Device Manager, but there I get stuck.
>>
> Throw away the SoundBlaster.

I opened up the box, and there are some wires leading to the SoundBlaster.
Since I have no idea what to do with them with the SoundBlaster gone, I
can't follow your advice.

Thanks anyway.

Andy

Andy <kanadaiy@telus.net> wrote:
> Hi Eric,
>
> "Eric Gisin" <ericgisin@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> "Andy" <kanadaiy@telus.net> wrote in message
>>> Arno,
>>>
>>> "Arno Wagner" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message

>>> with
>>> is a
>>> the
>>
>> You have a PCI SoundBlaster. The built-in audio is MUCH better.

>> Arnie, you stupid git. Device Manager has never offered this.
>>>
>>> Could you please give me step-by-step instuctions to do this? I can
>>> get to
>>> Device Manager, but there I get stuck.
>>>
>> Throw away the SoundBlaster.
>>
> I opened up the box, and there are some wires leading to the
> SoundBlaster. Since I have no idea what to do with them with the
> SoundBlaster gone, I can't follow your advice.

If they are going to one of the optical drives, just unplug it at the
optical drive end too, they arent used with modern OSs like XP anymore.