external hard drive for backup

I'm not sure whether this is the correct forum for this.

I need to get a 250-300Gb external HDD for backup.

I was debating whether to go for the Maxtor version or the Western Digital,
but I have seen sketchy reviews for both of them and was wondering if anyone
had any recommendations. My files are rather large. I need daily backups. I
have big files (>100Mb). I need it to be decently fast and not time out in
the middle, and be reliable.

Now I'm wondering whether to just get an internal HDD and stick it in a
caddy, but I don't know whats involved in terms of installation and I'm not
too happy about having to open my computer tower - although as far as I can
see you can get a caddy which connects via USB/Firewire.

I'm completely lost and not very techy so any help would be appreciated -
thanks.

More about external hard drive backup

    "Ruth" wrote:
    > I need to get a 250-300Gb external HDD for backup.
    >
    > I was debating whether to go for the Maxtor version or
    > the Western Digital, but I have seen sketchy reviews
    > for both of them and was wondering if anyone
    > had any recommendations. My files are rather large.
    > I need daily backups. I have big files (>100Mb). I need
    > it to be decently fast and not time out in the middle,
    > and be reliable.
    >
    > Now I'm wondering whether to just get an internal HDD
    > and stick it in a caddy, but I don't know whats involved
    > in terms of installation and I'm not too happy about having
    > to open my computer tower - although as far as I can
    > see you can get a caddy which connects via USB/Firewire.
    >
    > I'm completely lost and not very techy so any help would
    > be appreciated - thanks.

    The September 6 issue of PC Magazine (page 128) had
    good things to say about the Maxtor One Touch II. It also
    recommends the Dantz Retrospect 7 software that comes
    with it. If you don't want to open the PC's case, that's the
    way to go. But with your needs, *I'd* go with an internal HD
    on a removable tray (i.e. "caddy"), and buy the Retrospect
    software separately. I'd have more speed than with USB 2.0
    or Firewire, and I could even put more HDs on additional
    trays when my needs expanded, and the HD would have
    better cooling. But the costs of the two approaches would
    be about the same. If you go with the Maxtor, be sure to
    keep the unit standing vertically with free air convection for
    cooling.

    *TimDaniels*

    >Im not too happy about having to open my computer tower - although
    > as far as I can see you can get a caddy which connects via USB/Firewire.
    > I'm completely lost and not very techy so
    > any help would be appreciated - thanks.

    Yes, Rod's right. This says it all: external. It'll be more expensive
    and slower than the "internal drive in a caddy" approach, but simpler
    to get started. Installing an internal caddy isn't all that
    complicated, no more so than installing a new drive. But if you find
    that intimidating, go external.

    Ruth <NewsgroupRuthNoSpAm@hotmail.com> wrote:

    > I'm not sure whether this is the correct forum for this.

    > I need to get a 250-300Gb external HDD for backup.

    > I was debating whether to go for the Maxtor version or the Western
    > Digital, but I have seen sketchy reviews for both of them and was
    > wondering if anyone had any recommendations. My files are rather
    > large. I need daily backups. I have big files (>100Mb). I need it to
    > be decently fast and not time out in the middle, and be reliable.

    > Now I'm wondering whether to just get an internal HDD and stick it in
    > a caddy, but I don't know whats involved in terms of installation and
    > I'm not too happy about having to open my computer tower - although
    > as far as I can see you can get a caddy which connects via USB/Firewire.

    > I'm completely lost and not very techy so
    > any help would be appreciated - thanks.

    With that sort of background, you would be better with an external.

    Not clear what you mean by backup. Any use of Maxtor or WD drives
    isnt guaranteed to never see a drive failure. That is no big deal if they
    are JUST used for backup, but if some files are only on the external,
    thats taking too much risk of losing those files.

Backup External Hard Drive Storage