This is Larry.
I finally opened up my new Compaq
to install my old HD as a slave.
Traditionally you could plug the
old HD into the MB via the EID cable connected
to the new HD.
There is no EID cable ribbon.
The new HD has an entirely different plug.

I don't know if I'm screwed or not.

Thanks,
Larry

Polish Prince (Szynka) <wawrzekski@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

> I finally opened up my new Compaq
> to install my old HD as a slave.

> Traditionally you could plug the old HD into the MB via the EID cable
> connected to the new HD.
> There is no EID cable ribbon.

Is there a connector on the motherboard that fits one ?

What does Everest say about the motherboard ?
http://www.lavalys.com/products/overview.php?pid=1&lang=en

> The new HD has an entirely different plug.

Is it a much smaller thinner cable to the drive ? Its likely SATA.

> I don't know if I'm screwed or not.

If its got a normal IDE connector on the motherboard, you
should be able to use the ribbon cable out of the old PC fine.

If it doesnt have a normal IDE connector at all, all you
need to do is to buy one of the external USB2/firewire
housings and put the old drive in that.

There are 2 normal connectors on the MB.
One is connected to the DVD drive.

I should just go ahead and plug into the connector next to it?

Thanks,
Larry

> Polish Prince (Szynka) <wawrzekski@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>
>> I finally opened up my new Compaq
>> to install my old HD as a slave.
>
>> Traditionally you could plug the old HD into the MB via the EID cable
>> connected to the new HD.
>> There is no EID cable ribbon.
>
> Is there a connector on the motherboard that fits one ?
>
> What does Everest say about the motherboard ?
> http://www.lavalys.com/products/overview.php?pid=1&lang=en
>
>> The new HD has an entirely different plug.
>
> Is it a much smaller thinner cable to the drive ? Its likely SATA.
>
>> I don't know if I'm screwed or not.
>
> If its got a normal IDE connector on the motherboard, you
> should be able to use the ribbon cable out of the old PC fine.
>
> If it doesnt have a normal IDE connector at all, all you
> need to do is to buy one of the external USB2/firewire
> housings and put the old drive in that.

Polish Prince (Szynka) <wawrzekski@worldnet.att.net> wrote

> There are 2 normal connectors on the MB.
> One is connected to the DVD drive.

> I should just go ahead and plug into the connector next to it?

Sure, that'll be fine. Just get it the right way around if the
connector isnt polarised so it can only go in one way.

> "Rod Speed" <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Polish Prince (Szynka) <wawrzekski@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>>
>>> I finally opened up my new Compaq
>>> to install my old HD as a slave.
>>
>>> Traditionally you could plug the old HD into the MB via the EID
>>> cable connected to the new HD.
>>> There is no EID cable ribbon.
>>
>> Is there a connector on the motherboard that fits one ?
>>
>> What does Everest say about the motherboard ?
>> http://www.lavalys.com/products/overview.php?pid=1&lang=en
>>
>>> The new HD has an entirely different plug.
>>
>> Is it a much smaller thinner cable to the drive ? Its likely SATA.
>>
>>> I don't know if I'm screwed or not.
>>
>> If its got a normal IDE connector on the motherboard, you
>> should be able to use the ribbon cable out of the old PC fine.
>>
>> If it doesnt have a normal IDE connector at all, all you
>> need to do is to buy one of the external USB2/firewire
>> housings and put the old drive in that.

Thanks a million Rod.

Larry

> Polish Prince (Szynka) <wawrzekski@worldnet.att.net> wrote
>
>> There are 2 normal connectors on the MB.
>> One is connected to the DVD drive.
>
>> I should just go ahead and plug into the connector next to it?
>
> Sure, that'll be fine. Just get it the right way around if the
> connector isnt polarised so it can only go in one way.
>

>> "Rod Speed" <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>> Is there a connector on the motherboard that fits one ?
>>>
>>> What does Everest say about the motherboard ?
>>> http://www.lavalys.com/products/overview.php?pid=1&lang=en

>>> Is it a much smaller thinner cable to the drive ? Its likely SATA.

>>> If its got a normal IDE connector on the motherboard, you
>>> should be able to use the ribbon cable out of the old PC fine.
>>>
>>> If it doesnt have a normal IDE connector at all, all you
>>> need to do is to buy one of the external USB2/firewire
>>> housings and put the old drive in that.

The plug will go in both ways Rod.
Will I harm anything if I get it wrong?

Larry

> Polish Prince (Szynka) <wawrzekski@worldnet.att.net> wrote
>
>> There are 2 normal connectors on the MB.
>> One is connected to the DVD drive.
>
>> I should just go ahead and plug into the connector next to it?
>
> Sure, that'll be fine. Just get it the right way around if the
> connector isnt polarised so it can only go in one way.
>

>> "Rod Speed" <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>> Is there a connector on the motherboard that fits one ?
>>>
>>> What does Everest say about the motherboard ?
>>> http://www.lavalys.com/products/overview.php?pid=1&lang=en

>>> Is it a much smaller thinner cable to the drive ? Its likely SATA.

>>> If its got a normal IDE connector on the motherboard, you
>>> should be able to use the ribbon cable out of the old PC fine.
>>>
>>> If it doesnt have a normal IDE connector at all, all you
>>> need to do is to buy one of the external USB2/firewire
>>> housings and put the old drive in that.

Polish Prince (Szynka) <wawrzekski@worldnet.att.net> wrote

> The plug will go in both ways Rod.

There should be some indication on one end of the connector which
end the red stripe goes, often an arrow head like thing printed on the
motherboard itself. Have a look at the other one used for the DVD.

> Will I harm anything if I get it wrong?

Yes, you can wipe the MBR on the old drive that way.

> Rod Speed <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote
>> Polish Prince (Szynka) <wawrzekski@worldnet.att.net> wrote

>>> There are 2 normal connectors on the MB.
>>> One is connected to the DVD drive.
>>
>>> I should just go ahead and plug into the connector next to it?
>>
>> Sure, that'll be fine. Just get it the right way around if the
>> connector isnt polarised so it can only go in one way.
>>

>>> "Rod Speed" <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Thanks Rod.

Larry