Erasing old hard disk from windows

Hi,

Does anyone know of an (ideally) free disk erasing program I can run
from Windows XP?

I've used freeware KILLDISK on my smaller 60gig drives but they each
took over 3 hours. I was able to wait for them because I used an old
IDE computer.

I have two 120gig hard drives I need to erase before I can sell them.
And these new drives are SATA so I need to use my main computer. I
can't afford to wait 6+ hours for each drive to be cleaned.

Thanks!
Ross
13 answers Last reply
More about erasing hard disk windows

    Built into Windows' diskpart:

    list disk
    select disk #
    clean all

    On Sunday 04 September 2005 20:14, ross.gates@gmail.com
    <ross.gates@gmail.com>
    (<1125886451.468037.268130@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>) wrote:

    > Does anyone know of an (ideally) free disk erasing program I can run
    > from Windows XP?

    Sorry.

    > I've used freeware KILLDISK on my smaller 60gig drives but they each
    > took over 3 hours. I was able to wait for them because I used an old
    > IDE computer.

    Is that bad? On this disk,

    Model Family: IBM Deskstar 40GV & 75GXP series
    Device Model: IBM-DTLA-307030
    User Capacity: 30,738,677,760 bytes
    ATA Version is: 5

    it took about 165 minutes to overwrite the disk, once, with pseudo-random
    numbers. IIRC, it didn't take quite as long to write zeros.

    > I have two 120gig hard drives I need to erase before I can sell them.
    > And these new drives are SATA so I need to use my main computer. I
    > can't afford to wait 6+ hours for each drive to be cleaned.

    Do you have some reason to expect that some other program will run in less
    time while still overwriting the entire disk? Are you worried that someone
    will use "forensic" tools to examine the free space on these disks?

    looooooooong erasing time is usual

    --
    www.247recovery.com
    --

    "Jules Dubois" <7gllgud02@sneakemail.com> wrote in message news:1606905.3xdM3BRAtf@knode.kde...

    > > Does anyone know of an (ideally) free disk erasing program I can run
    > > from Windows XP?
    >
    > Sorry.

    Diskpart.

    > > I've used freeware KILLDISK on my smaller 60gig drives but they each
    > > took over 3 hours. I was able to wait for them because I used an old
    > > IDE computer.

    Your BIOS uses PIO, not DMA, so it was limited to ~10MB/s.

    > Is that bad? On this disk,
    >
    > Model Family: IBM Deskstar 40GV & 75GXP series
    > Device Model: IBM-DTLA-307030
    > User Capacity: 30,738,677,760 bytes
    > ATA Version is: 5
    >
    > it took about 165 minutes to overwrite the disk, once, with pseudo-random
    > numbers. IIRC, it didn't take quite as long to write zeros.

    Still too long if that is the two platter model.

    The time to erase a platter at 7200rpm is under an hour.

    "Eric Gisin" <ericgisin@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Built into Windows' diskpart:
    >
    > list disk
    > select disk #
    > clean all

    That does not perform disk erasure required for security purposes.

    "Peter" <peterfoxghost@yahoo.ca> wrote in message

    > "Eric Gisin" <ericgisin@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Built into Windows' diskpart:
    > >
    > > list disk
    > > select disk #
    > > clean all
    >
    > That does not perform disk erasure required for security purposes.

    Clueless Troll. Writing anything to a modern disk is not recoverable.

    Previously ross.gates@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi,

    > Does anyone know of an (ideally) free disk erasing program I can run
    > from Windows XP?

    > I've used freeware KILLDISK on my smaller 60gig drives but they each
    > took over 3 hours. I was able to wait for them because I used an old
    > IDE computer.

    > I have two 120gig hard drives I need to erase before I can sell them.
    > And these new drives are SATA so I need to use my main computer. I
    > can't afford to wait 6+ hours for each drive to be cleaned.

    I wonder why you do not have 12 hours, but do have the time to
    post here and wait for a reply? I think you have your perception
    of reality screwed up.

    Arno

    ross.gates@gmail.com wrote

    > Does anyone know of an (ideally) free disk
    > erasing program I can run from Windows XP?

    > I've used freeware KILLDISK on my smaller 60gig
    > drives but they each took over 3 hours. I was able to
    > wait for them because I used an old IDE computer.

    > I have two 120gig hard drives I need to erase before I can sell them.
    > And these new drives are SATA so I need to use my main computer.
    > I can't afford to wait 6+ hours for each drive to be cleaned.

    Its going to take a while to do a security wipe on drives that size.

    http://dban.sourceforge.net/

    There's a list of other ones at the bottom of that web page.

    interesting point but it usually doesn't take 12 hrs for a good reply on
    this group

    "Eric Gisin" <ericgisin@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:dfhofp01n8d@enews2.newsguy.com
    > "Peter" peterfoxghost@yahoo.ca> wrote in message news:8_WSe.4286$vN.138739@news20.bellglobal.com...
    > >
    > > "Eric Gisin" ericgisin@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:dfgg2a0aq8@enews2.newsguy.com...
    > > > Built into Windows' diskpart:
    > > >
    > > > list disk
    > > > select disk #
    > > > clean all
    > >
    > > That does not perform disk erasure required for security purposes.
    > >
    > Clueless Troll.

    > Writing anything to a modern disk is not recoverable.

    It *never* was. No disk was ever made to read the previous contents.

    In article <1125886451.468037.268130@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
    ross.gates@gmail.com wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Does anyone know of an (ideally) free disk erasing program I can run
    > from Windows XP?
    >
    > I've used freeware KILLDISK on my smaller 60gig drives but they each
    > took over 3 hours. I was able to wait for them because I used an old
    > IDE computer.
    >
    > I have two 120gig hard drives I need to erase before I can sell them.
    > And these new drives are SATA so I need to use my main computer. I
    > can't afford to wait 6+ hours for each drive to be cleaned.
    >
    > Thanks!
    > Ross

    Try Eraser or zero fill utility of your hard drive manufacturer.

    This is a link to research done by some computer scientists at Carnegie
    Mellon that shows that the implementation of several commercial erasers
    is flawed and data can be easily recovered.

    http://reports-archive.adm.cs.cmu.edu/anon/isri2005/CMU-ISRI-05-119.pdf

    I was really surprised to read that the implementation of the commercial
    software products was this poor.

    Roland

    Joe Doe <None@mail.utexas.edu> wrote:
    > In article <1125886451.468037.268130@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
    > ross.gates@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Does anyone know of an (ideally) free disk erasing program I can run
    >> from Windows XP?
    >>
    >> I've used freeware KILLDISK on my smaller 60gig drives but they each
    >> took over 3 hours. I was able to wait for them because I used an old
    >> IDE computer.
    >>
    >> I have two 120gig hard drives I need to erase before I can sell them.
    >> And these new drives are SATA so I need to use my main computer. I
    >> can't afford to wait 6+ hours for each drive to be cleaned.
    >>
    >> Thanks!
    >> Ross
    >

    > Try Eraser or zero fill utility of your hard drive manufacturer.
    >
    > This is a link to research done by some computer scientists at
    > Carnegie Mellon that shows that the implementation of several
    > commercial erasers is flawed and data can be easily recovered.
    >
    > http://reports-archive.adm.cs.cmu.edu/anon/isri2005/CMU-ISRI-05-119.pdf
    >
    > I was really surprised to read that the implementation of the
    > commercial software products was this poor.

    These arent doing what he wants to do tho, wipe the entire drive completely.
    They're attempting a much more difficult task, wipe a drive thats still going
    to be used with most of the files on the drive retained for use.

    Hello, Ross,

    I've recently downloaded Eraser, and it should do what you need. You can
    wipe the entire disk, unused portions of it, or individual files. You can
    select the type of security wipe you desire and specify the number of
    passes. A one-pass wipe is reasonably fast. The documentation is superb. It
    can be scheduled too. It's also free. I like it.

    Andy

    <ross.gates@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Does anyone know of an (ideally) free disk erasing program I can run
    > from Windows XP?
    >
    > I've used freeware KILLDISK on my smaller 60gig drives but they each
    > took over 3 hours. I was able to wait for them because I used an old
    > IDE computer.
    >
    > I have two 120gig hard drives I need to erase before I can sell them.
    > And these new drives are SATA so I need to use my main computer. I
    > can't afford to wait 6+ hours for each drive to be cleaned.
    >
    > Thanks!
    > Ross

Computer Hard Drives Storage