Can Norton Ghost read raw format image files ?

I have an image of a hard disc in raw format (1:1 copy of all sectors
in a single file, created with /bin/dd, no header, no compression).

Does Ghost support image files like this ?
What about Acronis TrueImage or other programs ?
Is there a program that can convert this file to some other format
(Ghost , Acronis) ?

What I want is to browse the content of the saved partitions (they are
NTFS) and copy out a few files.

I can not restore the image to the disc, because I don't have that (or
other same sized) disc any more. (it is a 60 GB image with about 5 NTFS
partitions).

Thanks for any reply,
David
16 answers Last reply
More about norton ghost read format image files

    <david.balazic@hermes.si> wrote in message
    > I have an image of a hard disc in raw format (1:1 copy of all sectors
    > in a single file, created with /bin/dd, no header, no compression).
    >
    > Does Ghost support image files like this ?

    I think not.

    > What about Acronis TrueImage or other programs ?

    I think not. Maybe some forensic suite, Encase and such that can.

    > Is there a program that can convert this file to some other format
    > (Ghost , Acronis) ?

    I think not.

    > What I want is to browse the content of the saved partitions (they are
    > NTFS) and copy out a few files.

    There are open source (NT/2000/XP) drivers around that can mount raw image
    files and assign them a drive letter.

    > I can not restore the image to the disc, because I don't have that (or
    > other same sized) disc any more. (it is a 60 GB image with about 5 NTFS
    > partitions).

    But it's one file on a hard disk? Or spread accros multiple disks? If the
    latter I do not think the drivers I mentioned will work. I dot have a URL
    handy .... HD Workbench from www.diydatarecovery.nl comes with a driver, you
    just rename your file to an extension HD Workbench recognizes. Wait, found
    the URL: http://www.acc.umu.se/~bosse/, look for FileDisk.

    --
    Joep

    Since you have a disk image, not a volume image, there are few tools.

    If you examine the partition table, you can extract primary parts.
    For example, this copies 8GB of the first primary.

    dd if=image of=first.img bs=63b count=254 skip=1
    dd if=image of=/dev/hdc1 bs=63b count=254 skip=1

    Note: hdc is a scratch disk. You can use of=//./X: on WinNT.
    The volume image first.img can be mounted on WinNT with filedisk,
    or opened with some image browsers. WinImage will open FAT images.

    "Eric Gisin" <ericgisin@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:dfob7s0mgr@enews3.newsguy.com...
    > Since you have a disk image, not a volume image, there are few tools.
    >
    > If you examine the partition table, you can extract primary parts.
    > For example, this copies 8GB of the first primary.

    I meant 8MB. The partition table has offset and length values.
    Use offset/63 for skip value, and length/63 for count value.

    > dd if=image of=first.img bs=63b count=254 skip=1
    > dd if=image of=/dev/hdc1 bs=63b count=254 skip=1
    >
    > Note: hdc is a scratch disk. You can use of=//./X: on WinNT.
    > The volume image first.img can be mounted on WinNT with filedisk,
    > or opened with some image browsers. WinImage will open FAT images.

    "Eric Gisin" <ericgisin@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Since you have a disk image, not a volume image, there are few tools.

    Whoops! Indeed, the drivers I mentioned in above message will not work then.

    --
    Joep

    On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 10:27:47 +0200, "Joep" <available@request.nl> wrote:

    >"Eric Gisin" <ericgisin@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Since you have a disk image, not a volume image, there are few tools.
    >>

    >Whoops! Indeed, the drivers I mentioned in above message will not work then.

    Just make a virtual machine with VMWare or Virtual PC, then use dd to
    restore the image to the virtual machine, and extract your files.
    --
    Michael Cecil
    http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

    "Michael Cecil" <macecil@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 10:27:47 +0200, "Joep" <available@request.nl> wrote:
    >
    > >"Eric Gisin" <ericgisin@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >> Since you have a disk image, not a volume image, there are few tools.
    > >>

    > >Whoops! Indeed, the drivers I mentioned in above message will not work
    then.

    > Just make a virtual machine with VMWare or Virtual PC, then use dd to
    > restore the image to the virtual machine, and extract your files.
    > --

    You'd need VMWare or VirtualPC for that obviously ...

    "Joep" <available@request.nl> wrote in message news:35b17$43201159$3eddca68$8906@nf1.news-service.com
    > "Michael Cecil" <macecil@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > > On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 10:27:47 +0200, "Joep" <available@request.nl> wrote:
    > >
    > > > "Eric Gisin" <ericgisin@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > > >

    > > > Whoops! Indeed, the drivers I mentioned in above message will not work then.
    > >
    > > Just make a virtual machine with VMWare or Virtual PC, then use dd to
    > > restore the image to the virtual machine, and extract your files.
    > > --
    >
    > You'd need VMWare or VirtualPC for that obviously ...

    I fail to see the 'obvious'ly in it.

    "Folkert Rienstra" <see_reply-to@myweb.nl> wrote in message
    > "Joep" <available@request.nl> wrote in message
    > > "Michael Cecil" <macecil@comcast.net> wrote in message

    > > > Just make a virtual machine with VMWare or Virtual PC, then use dd to
    > > > restore the image to the virtual machine, and extract your files.
    > > > --
    > >
    > > You'd need VMWare or VirtualPC for that obviously ...
    >
    > I fail to see the 'obvious'ly in it.

    i do not care

    "Joep" <available@request.nl> wrote in message news:69d43$43214fbf$3eddca68$20349@nf1.news-service.com
    > "Folkert Rienstra" <see_reply-to@myweb.nl> wrote in message news:4320df51$0$73457$892e7fe2@authen.white.readfreenews.net...

    > > > You'd need VMWare or VirtualPC for that obviously ...
    > >
    > > I fail to see the 'obvious'ly in it.
    >
    > i do not care

    Twice wrong in a single thread, I can just see why.

    > "Joep" <available@request.nl> wrote in message
    > > "Folkert Rienstra" <see_reply-to@myweb.nl> wrote in message
    > > > "Joep" <available@request.nl> wrote in message

    > > > I fail to see the 'obvious'ly in it.
    > >
    > > i do not care
    >
    > Twice wrong in a single thread, I can just see why.

    i do not care

    I am developing a program that will do this - and currently looking for
    Beta testers. If you would like a free try then download the program
    from www.cnwrecovery.com and e-mail me the machine key and I will send
    you a code to do what you want. The program is currently Beta for
    Memory chip recovery, but probably Alpha for NTFS. - hence
    documentation wizard etc are not very good for NTFS recovery. It is an
    XP, 2000 program

    Michael

    Wow!

    Folkert is still alive. Annoying as always. How old is he now ? 40 ? 50
    ?

    This sure brings back memories . . . .

    ;)

    I just found a utility to mount raw whole disk images: OsrVirtualCdAndDisk
    http://www.osronline.com/article.cfm?article=410 [register to download[

    Also useful for experimenting in Disk Manager if you don't have a spare disk.

    <david.balazic@hermes.si> wrote in message news:1126711968.825305.274750@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com
    > Wow!
    >
    > Folkert is still alive.

    I hope that wasn't some sort of invitation.

    So, who did rise you from the dead then?

    > Annoying as always. How old is he now ? 40 ? 50
    > ?
    >
    > This sure brings back memories . . . .

    Oh, and thanks for responding to me and not anyone else,
    showing what the real intention of your question was.

    > ;)

    Great thanks.

    I already tried to extract individual partition and they don't work.
    I also tried to restore the image to a virtual disk in VMWare nd it
    does not work there anyway ( Widows install CD or bartPE CD wont even
    boot if the restored HD is present on the emulated system ... ).
    I will now try to get the original har drive back and try to restore to
    it.

    Regards,
    David

    <david.balazic@hermes.si> wrote in message
    > I have an image of a hard disc in raw format (1:1 copy of all sectors
    > in a single file, created with /bin/dd, no header, no compression).
    >
    > Does Ghost support image files like this ?
    > What about Acronis TrueImage or other programs ?
    > Is there a program that can convert this file to some other format
    > (Ghost , Acronis) ?

    Not with Ghost or Acronis.

    > What I want is to browse the content of the saved partitions (they are
    > NTFS) and copy out a few files.
    >
    > I can not restore the image to the disc, because I don't have that (or
    > other same sized) disc any more. (it is a 60 GB image with about 5 NTFS
    > partitions).

    Try with Knoppix CD. I had some good success with it.
    I had a dd image of /dev/hda1 saved in temporary attached
    /dev/hdb1/hda1image.img.

    Boot Knoppix CD ver 3.9
    Launch terminal.
    Create a mount point for your image:
    mkdir /mnt/hdz1
    Mount second disk containing image:
    mount -o rw /dev/hdb1 /mnt/hdb1
    Mount disk image:
    mount -o loop /mnt/hdb1/hda1image.img /mnt/hdz1

    Launch File Manager in Super User mode and peruse /mnt/hdz1

    You should be able to see and copy files from your disk image.

Format Storage