Pentium III, which HD?

I have a PentiumIII with 256 MB RAM.

I would like to change the HD.

I remember that some mother board doesn't support some HDs. Which are
the rules? Can I buy a 200GB HD or the motherBoard won't read it? How
can I know that?

Previously RicercatoreSbadato <emailsolidale@yahoo.it> wrote:
> I have a PentiumIII with 256 MB RAM.

> I would like to change the HD.

> I remember that some mother board doesn't support some HDs. Which are
> the rules? Can I buy a 200GB HD or the motherBoard won't read it? How
> can I know that?

You do not give enough information to help you. What exact Mainboard?

Arno

"Arno Wagner" wrote:
> Previously RicercatoreSbadato wrote:
>> I have a PentiumIII with 256 MB RAM.
>
>> I would like to change the HD.
>
>> I remember that some mother board doesn't support
>> some HDs. Which are the rules? Can I buy a 200GB HD
>> or the motherBoard won't read it? How can I know that?
>

> You do not give enough information to help you. What
> exact Mainboard?

And what operating system with what Service Pack?

*TimDaniels*

RicercatoreSbadato <emailsolidale@yahoo.it> wrote:

> I have a PentiumIII with 256 MB RAM.

> I would like to change the HD.

> I remember that some mother board doesn't
> support some HDs. Which are the rules?

There arent any tidy rules, some motherboards of that vintage
have a problem with drives over 32G but that was mostly fixed
by then and if the current drive is over that and it isnt jumpered
to limit the size to 32G, that obviously isnt a problem.

The next major problem is with drives over 128G but there arent
any simple checks for whether that will be a problem in your case.

> Can I buy a 200GB HD or the motherBoard won't read it?

It will read it if the motherboard doesnt have the problem at 32G,
but it may corrupt the data when the area over 128G is written to.

> How can I know that?

You basically have to go thru the list of things that control that.

The main problem is the OS, there is no official support for drives
over 128G with 98/SE/ME, but there are various ways around that.

If you are running 2K or XP, you have to ensure that you have
service packs that support drives over 128G applied and for
maximum convenience the motherboard bios needs to support
them too. With the better motherboards you can see on the
motherboard manufacturer's web site if the bios supports drives
over 128G or not.

There is at least ute around that can tell you if your system
does support drives over 128G quite a bit of the time, but
the main problem with it is that it needs a drive over 128G
in the system to check which is a problem if you are
considering buying one and dont have it yet.

The short story is that its probably doable if you are running
2K or XP but gets more tricky with 98/SE/ME but can still be
possible with some configs.

Previously Timothy Daniels <TDaniels@nospamdot.com> wrote:
> "Arno Wagner" wrote:
>> Previously RicercatoreSbadato wrote:
>>> I have a PentiumIII with 256 MB RAM.
>>
>>> I would like to change the HD.
>>
>>> I remember that some mother board doesn't support
>>> some HDs. Which are the rules? Can I buy a 200GB HD
>>> or the motherBoard won't read it? How can I know that?
>>

>> You do not give enough information to help you. What
>> exact Mainboard?

> And what operating system with what Service Pack?

True. As a Linux user I tend to forget that particular
lack of foresight of the designers of the OS that uses
Service Packs...

Arno

"Arno Wagner" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message news:3ob0m8F511k1U2@individual.net...
> Previously Timothy Daniels <TDaniels@nospamdot.com> wrote:
> > And what operating system with what Service Pack?
>
> True. As a Linux user I tend to forget that particular
> lack of foresight of the designers of the OS that uses
> Service Packs...

Arnie the clueless. Every commerical OS has service packs. It's called support.

No Linux distribution provides it, they expect you upgrade every year.

cjt

Arno Wagner wrote:

> Previously Timothy Daniels <TDaniels@nospamdot.com> wrote:

>>>You do not give enough information to help you. What
>>>exact Mainboard?
>

>> And what operating system with what Service Pack?
>

> True. As a Linux user I tend to forget that particular
> lack of foresight of the designers of the OS that uses
> Service Packs...
>
> Arno
Sadly, Linux seems to be splintering as Unix did before it.

Red-Hat, Suse, and the host of others, none precisely compatible,
leads to a tower of Babel rivaling that of Windows.

CJT wrote:

>Sadly, Linux seems to be splintering as Unix did before it.

What's sad about the abundant choices that Linux gives you?

>Red-Hat, Suse, and the host of others, none precisely compatible,

They don't need to be "precisely compatible", when each vendor can
(and does) simply compile the applications and make them available on
their CD's and on-line repositories? Rarely, fringe applications can
be compiled on the user's machine.

>leads to a tower of Babel rivaling that of Windows.

"Tower of Babel" implies communications difficulties, making it a poor
analogy for the situation.

Modern Linux is easier to install than Windows, operates with
point-and-click ease, comes with tons of applications, and is very
easy to try, with "live" distributions that run off CD without
installing. I recommend Mepis or Ubuntu.

cjt

chrisv wrote:

> CJT wrote:
>

>>Sadly, Linux seems to be splintering as Unix did before it.
>

> What's sad about the abundant choices that Linux gives you?
>

>>Red-Hat, Suse, and the host of others, none precisely compatible,
>

> They don't need to be "precisely compatible", when each vendor can
> (and does) simply compile the applications and make them available on
> their CD's and on-line repositories? Rarely, fringe applications can
> be compiled on the user's machine.
>

>>leads to a tower of Babel rivaling that of Windows.
>

> "Tower of Babel" implies communications difficulties, making it a poor
> analogy for the situation.
>
> Modern Linux is easier to install than Windows, operates with
> point-and-click ease, comes with tons of applications, and is very
> easy to try, with "live" distributions that run off CD without
> installing. I recommend Mepis or Ubuntu.

Just look at the history of Unix to see the issue in action. Linux
is developing along very similar lines.

dizzy

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2003

On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 21:09:29 +0000, CJT wrote:

> Just look at the history of Unix to see the issue in action. Linux is
> developing along very similar lines.

I don't think you can compare the two. UNIX is closed-source,
proprietory, expensive, and targetted at professionals. Linux is
open-source, cheap, and the various distributions target everyone from the
pro to the novice.

You could argue that it would be advantageous if the versions of Linux
were "similar enough" so that the same binary could run on all of them, as
this would facilitate "shrink wrapped" software sales in stores. However,
with high-speed Internet, this is becoming less of a concern than it was
in the old days.

cjt

dizzy wrote:

> On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 21:09:29 +0000, CJT wrote:
>

>>Just look at the history of Unix to see the issue in action. Linux is
>>developing along very similar lines.
>

> I don't think you can compare the two. UNIX is closed-source,
> proprietory, expensive, and targetted at professionals.

It's clear you have no idea what you're talking about.

CJT wrote:

>dizzy wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 21:09:29 +0000, CJT wrote:
>>
>>>Just look at the history of Unix to see the issue in action. Linux is
>>>developing along very similar lines.
>>
>> I don't think you can compare the two. UNIX is closed-source,
>> proprietory, expensive, and targetted at professionals.
>
>It's clear you have no idea what you're talking about.

That's a real powerful argument. The number of facts you provided is
simply overwhelming. You took every point he made and showed that he
was mistaken.

Obviously, we don't have a leg to stand on, and your implication that
Linux will suffer the same fate as Unix is almost certainly going to
come to pass.

"chrisv" <chrisv@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
> CJT wrote:
>
> >dizzy wrote:

Historically, commerical UNIX had the ATT/BSD split.
Today's analogy would be Linux/BSD in the free world.

> >> I don't think you can compare the two. UNIX is closed-source,
> >> proprietory, expensive, and targetted at professionals.

Nonsense. Solaris is free for the destop for years, now the kernel open.

> >It's clear you have no idea what you're talking about.

Not obviously, but still true.

> That's a real powerful argument. The number of facts you provided is
> simply overwhelming. You took every point he made and showed that he
> was mistaken.
>
> Obviously, we don't have a leg to stand on, and your implication that
> Linux will suffer the same fate as Unix is almost certainly going to
> come to pass.

The BSD 4.4 derivatives are incompatible at the API level. Is Linux?

cjt

chrisv wrote:

> CJT wrote:
>

>>dizzy wrote:

>>>I don't think you can compare the two. UNIX is closed-source,
>>>proprietory, expensive, and targetted at professionals.
>>
>>It's clear you have no idea what you're talking about.
>

> That's a real powerful argument. The number of facts you provided is
> simply overwhelming. You took every point he made and showed that he
> was mistaken.

I would have thought it was clear from the context that I don't think
Unix is proprietary (it's available from multiple vendors), expensive
(versions are available for free), or targeted at professionals (it's
used by millions of people, and is what Linux is modeled on;
furthermore, the same user interfaces available for Linux are available
for Unix).

CJT wrote:

>I would have thought it was clear from the context that I don't think
>Unix is proprietary (it's available from multiple vendors), expensive
>(versions are available for free), or targeted at professionals (it's
>used by millions of people, and is what Linux is modeled on;
>furthermore, the same user interfaces available for Linux are available
>for Unix).

Where can one obtain a free Unix in easily-installable .iso form?

CJT wrote:

>I would have thought it was clear from the context that I don't think
>Unix is proprietary (it's available from multiple vendors), expensive
>(versions are available for free), or targeted at professionals (it's
>used by millions of people, and is what Linux is modeled on;
>furthermore, the same user interfaces available for Linux are available
>for Unix).

Plus, I should ask when the "free" (free as in beer AND free as in
speech) Unix was made available, because I suspect that it has been
only very recently - too late to be relevant, considering that Linux
is here now, and too little, too late to "save" Unix.

Previously CJT <abujlehc@prodigy.net> wrote:
> Arno Wagner wrote:

>> Previously Timothy Daniels <TDaniels@nospamdot.com> wrote:

>>> And what operating system with what Service Pack?
>>

>> True. As a Linux user I tend to forget that particular
>> lack of foresight of the designers of the OS that uses
>> Service Packs...
>>
>> Arno
> Sadly, Linux seems to be splintering as Unix did before it.

> Red-Hat, Suse, and the host of others, none precisely compatible,
> leads to a tower of Babel rivaling that of Windows.

Personally I made that experience with the commercial distros.
I now use Debian exclusively, with some self-compiled packages
added. Most of the issues I had with the commercial stuff are
gone now. Especially SuSE was a pain with regards to updates.
With Debian I have a cron-job that runs every 2-3 days and
installs the newest fixes and updates. Has not given me trouble
in more than a year.

Arno

cjt

chrisv wrote:

> CJT wrote:
>

>>I would have thought it was clear from the context that I don't think
>>Unix is proprietary (it's available from multiple vendors), expensive
>>(versions are available for free), or targeted at professionals (it's
>>used by millions of people, and is what Linux is modeled on;
>>furthermore, the same user interfaces available for Linux are available
>>for Unix).
>

> Where can one obtain a free Unix in easily-installable .iso form?

www.sun.com

cjt

chrisv wrote:

> CJT wrote:
>

>>I would have thought it was clear from the context that I don't think
>>Unix is proprietary (it's available from multiple vendors), expensive
>>(versions are available for free), or targeted at professionals (it's
>>used by millions of people, and is what Linux is modeled on;
>>furthermore, the same user interfaces available for Linux are available
>>for Unix).
>

> Plus, I should ask when the "free" (free as in beer AND free as in
> speech) Unix was made available, because I suspect that it has been
> only very recently - too late to be relevant, considering that Linux
> is here now, and too little, too late to "save" Unix.

for years, now

On 8 Sep 2005 14:38:00 GMT, Arno Wagner <me@privacy.net> wrote:

>Previously Timothy Daniels <TDaniels@nospamdot.com> wrote:

>>> You do not give enough information to help you. What
>>> exact Mainboard?
>

>> And what operating system with what Service Pack?
>
>True. As a Linux user I tend to forget that particular
>lack of foresight of the designers of the OS that uses
>Service Packs...

So answer their questions already.

Your reply is cute, but doesn't seem likely to get you an answer to
your question about HDs.