ATI Radeon 9600XT problem

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

Here's some of my system and driver info first:
DirectX: 9.0c
ATI Catalyst: 4.10
AMD Athlon XP 2100+, 1.7GHz.
DDRam 1.2Gb
Service Pack 2

I've been having problems with the graphics on most 3D based games ever
since I installed the new video card, the problem makes the textures on some
objects in a game appear stretched and fanned out, here's a few of the games
the problem affects: Farcry, Empire Earth, Pirates of the Caribbean, and
Medieval:Total War to name a few. I've tried contacting ATI but they failed
to solve the problem. Also I tried to Flash the BIOS recently but after I
upgraded and was prompted to restart the computer, I resarted and on the
first boot up screen it showed the new BIOS version and under the memory it
checked was an error that read "CMOS checksum error.... loading defaults."
and now I can't seem to make the error go away it happens everytime i boot up
the comp. and i tried Flashing it to its original version and it shows the
version as changed but the error always appears. (by the way, the video card
didn't work before I screwed the BIOS up.). The games worked fine on my
GeForce card before I installed this new card. Any help anyone can provide
would be most appreciated.

I can provide screenshots of the graphics problem if neccessary.

Thanks,
Ryan
3 answers Last reply
More about radeon 9600xt problem
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    First shutdown and power off computer,then remove the battery for 30 seconds,
    replace battery,start computer.This resets the BIOS,upon starting computer
    you'll need to enter BIOS and adjust,set time,date etc,then go to exit page,
    select,load optimine settings,or load set-up defaults,then return to other
    sections
    and edit as needed.Also,ATI has 2 catalysts available,one with
    control-panel,one
    w/o,download the one with,ati is now at 4.12

    "Ryan87" wrote:

    > Here's some of my system and driver info first:
    > DirectX: 9.0c
    > ATI Catalyst: 4.10
    > AMD Athlon XP 2100+, 1.7GHz.
    > DDRam 1.2Gb
    > Service Pack 2
    >
    > I've been having problems with the graphics on most 3D based games ever
    > since I installed the new video card, the problem makes the textures on some
    > objects in a game appear stretched and fanned out, here's a few of the games
    > the problem affects: Farcry, Empire Earth, Pirates of the Caribbean, and
    > Medieval:Total War to name a few. I've tried contacting ATI but they failed
    > to solve the problem. Also I tried to Flash the BIOS recently but after I
    > upgraded and was prompted to restart the computer, I resarted and on the
    > first boot up screen it showed the new BIOS version and under the memory it
    > checked was an error that read "CMOS checksum error.... loading defaults."
    > and now I can't seem to make the error go away it happens everytime i boot up
    > the comp. and i tried Flashing it to its original version and it shows the
    > version as changed but the error always appears. (by the way, the video card
    > didn't work before I screwed the BIOS up.). The games worked fine on my
    > GeForce card before I installed this new card. Any help anyone can provide
    > would be most appreciated.
    >
    > I can provide screenshots of the graphics problem if neccessary.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Ryan
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    Where's the battery, or what does it look like, or do you mean the power
    supply?

    "Andrew E." wrote:

    > First shutdown and power off computer,then remove the battery for 30 seconds,
    > replace battery,start computer.This resets the BIOS,upon starting computer
    > you'll need to enter BIOS and adjust,set time,date etc,then go to exit page,
    > select,load optimine settings,or load set-up defaults,then return to other
    > sections
    > and edit as needed.Also,ATI has 2 catalysts available,one with
    > control-panel,one
    > w/o,download the one with,ati is now at 4.12
    >
    > "Ryan87" wrote:
    >
    > > Here's some of my system and driver info first:
    > > DirectX: 9.0c
    > > ATI Catalyst: 4.10
    > > AMD Athlon XP 2100+, 1.7GHz.
    > > DDRam 1.2Gb
    > > Service Pack 2
    > >
    > > I've been having problems with the graphics on most 3D based games ever
    > > since I installed the new video card, the problem makes the textures on some
    > > objects in a game appear stretched and fanned out, here's a few of the games
    > > the problem affects: Farcry, Empire Earth, Pirates of the Caribbean, and
    > > Medieval:Total War to name a few. I've tried contacting ATI but they failed
    > > to solve the problem. Also I tried to Flash the BIOS recently but after I
    > > upgraded and was prompted to restart the computer, I resarted and on the
    > > first boot up screen it showed the new BIOS version and under the memory it
    > > checked was an error that read "CMOS checksum error.... loading defaults."
    > > and now I can't seem to make the error go away it happens everytime i boot up
    > > the comp. and i tried Flashing it to its original version and it shows the
    > > version as changed but the error always appears. (by the way, the video card
    > > didn't work before I screwed the BIOS up.). The games worked fine on my
    > > GeForce card before I installed this new card. Any help anyone can provide
    > > would be most appreciated.
    > >
    > > I can provide screenshots of the graphics problem if neccessary.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Ryan
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    Check with the motherboard maker's site and get info on clearing the
    CMOS, which is what Andrew is suggesting. I usually let the board load
    failsafe defaults, as you did, then reboot and enter BIOS setup and load
    optimized defaults. Anyway, your specific motherboard maker's website
    will tell you what you need to know.

    Ryan87 wrote:
    > Where's the battery, or what does it look like, or do you mean the power
    > supply?
    >
    > "Andrew E." wrote:
    >
    >
    >> First shutdown and power off computer,then remove the battery for 30 seconds,
    >> replace battery,start computer.This resets the BIOS,upon starting computer
    >> you'll need to enter BIOS and adjust,set time,date etc,then go to exit page,
    >> select,load optimine settings,or load set-up defaults,then return to other
    >>sections
    >> and edit as needed.Also,ATI has 2 catalysts available,one with
    >>control-panel,one
    >> w/o,download the one with,ati is now at 4.12
    >>
    >>"Ryan87" wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>Here's some of my system and driver info first:
    >>>DirectX: 9.0c
    >>>ATI Catalyst: 4.10
    >>>AMD Athlon XP 2100+, 1.7GHz.
    >>>DDRam 1.2Gb................
Ask a new question

Read More

Video ATI Windows XP