Finished HL2, what next?

Last response: in Video Games
June 3, 2005 8:01:28 AM

I just finished Half-Life 2 and I'm starving for another first-person
shooter. I'm not really into the multiplayer/deathmatch stuff, I just
want a good solo adventure that I can play in my spare time.

-I like a good story and NPCs
-I like games where I can use stealth rather than just run around in
circles blowing stuff away
-I like variety, like HL2's vehicles, squads, antlion armies, etc.

Any suggestions? Doom 3? I figure nothing will live up to HL2 (until
Lost Coast or HL3 comes out), so for now I'll settle for a close second.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
chris.

More about : finished hl2

Anonymous
June 3, 2005 8:01:29 AM

alabaster wrote:
> I just finished Half-Life 2 and I'm starving for another first-person
> shooter. I'm not really into the multiplayer/deathmatch stuff, I just
> want a good solo adventure that I can play in my spare time.
>
> -I like a good story and NPCs
> -I like games where I can use stealth rather than just run around in
> circles blowing stuff away
> -I like variety, like HL2's vehicles, squads, antlion armies, etc.
>

> Any suggestions? Doom 3? I figure nothing will live up to HL2 (until
> Lost Coast or HL3 comes out), so for now I'll settle for a close second.
>
> Any ideas?

Far Cry
IGI (1 or 2)
Deus Ex (not so much eye candy, but a fantastically layered game with a
strong story)
Anonymous
June 3, 2005 9:28:47 AM

* alabaster wrote:
> I just finished Half-Life 2 and I'm starving for another first-person
> shooter. I'm not really into the multiplayer/deathmatch stuff, I just
> want a good solo adventure that I can play in my spare time.
>
> -I like a good story and NPCs -I like games where I can use stealth
> rather than just run around in circles blowing stuff away -I like
> variety, like HL2's vehicles, squads, antlion armies, etc.
>
> Any suggestions? Doom 3? I figure nothing will live up to HL2 (until
> Lost Coast or HL3 comes out), so for now I'll settle for a close
> second.
>
> Any ideas?

Tried Far Cry? I am only part way through it. Variety of vehicles etc.

--
PiG$$
e : gamepig@piggo.com

alabaster wrote:

> Any suggestions? Doom 3? I figure nothing will live up to HL2 (until
> Lost Coast or HL3 comes out), so for now I'll settle for a close second.

Hmm I don't know
I am a bit impressed by the Splinter Cell series, though it's a bit
different than HL2 :-)

Far Cry, Painkiller ...

Stalker?
New video from SC Game World :-)
http://www.stalker-game.com/index_eng.html

What about a HL2 SP Mod?
Substance?
http://ludus1942.ngi.it/index.html
Better than DOOM3 hehe

HTH
Anonymous
June 3, 2005 3:58:02 PM

What about Riddick Maybe ???

"alabaster" <noemail@noemail.com> wrote in message
>I just finished Half-Life 2 and I'm starving for another first-person
>shooter. I'm not really into the multiplayer/deathmatch stuff, I just want
>a good solo adventure that I can play in my spare time.
>
> -I like a good story and NPCs
> -I like games where I can use stealth rather than just run around in
> circles blowing stuff away
> -I like variety, like HL2's vehicles, squads, antlion armies, etc.
>

> Any suggestions? Doom 3? I figure nothing will live up to HL2 (until
> Lost Coast or HL3 comes out), so for now I'll settle for a close second.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> chris.
Anonymous
June 3, 2005 4:20:17 PM

Tribes vengence is quite good if you have done all the rest!
Anonymous
June 3, 2005 7:24:59 PM

"alabaster" <noemail@noemail.com> wrote
> I just finished Half-Life 2 and I'm starving for another first-person
> shooter. I'm not really into the multiplayer/deathmatch stuff, I just
> want a good solo adventure that I can play in my spare time.

Have you played the original HL? Good stuff, even by todays standards. I'm
constantly dranw back to it.
--
David
davidfirewater(a)hotmail.com

PiG$$ wrote:
> * alabaster wrote:
>
>>I just finished Half-Life 2 and I'm starving for another first-person
>>shooter. I'm not really into the multiplayer/deathmatch stuff, I just
>>want a good solo adventure that I can play in my spare time.
>>
>>-I like a good story and NPCs -I like games where I can use stealth
>>rather than just run around in circles blowing stuff away -I like
>>variety, like HL2's vehicles, squads, antlion armies, etc.
>>
>>Any suggestions? Doom 3? I figure nothing will live up to HL2 (until
>>Lost Coast or HL3 comes out), so for now I'll settle for a close
>>second.
>>
>>Any ideas?
>

> Tried Far Cry? I am only part way through it. Variety of vehicles etc.

I second Far Cry (actually third when you could Chadwick's
recommendation). It hasn't got the best story and the NPCs you don't
generally interact with directly, but then again it DOES have a heck of
a lot of gameplay freedom. You can use stealth or rambo action depending
on the situation, and stealth actually works here. Variety is the spice
of life, and Fry Cry does have that to. Some of the enemies are a bit
annoying (i.e. monkey trigens that can can hit you even from a few feet
away), but overall it'll probably satisfy you quite nicely.

DOOM 3's a game you'll either love of hate, or love at first and then
hate due to it's LACK of variety. It's great fun at first and very
atmospheric, but due to the lack of gameplay variety you won't get much
out of subsequent plays.
June 3, 2005 10:57:54 PM

Anonymous
June 4, 2005 12:11:02 PM

"alabaster" <noemail@noemail.com> wrote in message
>I just finished Half-Life 2 and I'm starving for another first-person
>shooter. I'm not really into the multiplayer/deathmatch stuff, I just want
>a good solo adventure that I can play in my spare time.
>
> -I like a good story and NPCs
> -I like games where I can use stealth rather than just run around in
> circles blowing stuff away
> -I like variety, like HL2's vehicles, squads, antlion armies, etc.
>

> Any suggestions? Doom 3? I figure nothing will live up to HL2 (until
> Lost Coast or HL3 comes out), so for now I'll settle for a close second.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> chris.

If you have already played the other games being suggested, which I agree
wholeheartedly with (especially Deus Ex as I consider it the best game
ever), and you are really looking for a story driven game with lots of
stealth, you might want to look into Second Sight. As you read the reviews,
you'll find it genreally rated hightly except for the targeting control
setup. It is is somewhat cumbersome and can be frustrating when the game
chooses one target and you want another. But that is all the more reason to
use stealth and not do battle with more than two enemies at a time.
Normally, I'll quit plying agame pretty quickly if the control is funky, but
the story and the psychic weapons kept me going. It was worth it. And you
can probably pick it up cheap.

Bob
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 10:06:18 PM

"rjdriver" <rjdrivers@cox.net> wrote in

> "alabaster" <noemail@noemail.com> wrote in message
>>I just finished Half-Life 2 and I'm starving for another first-person
>>shooter. I'm not really into the multiplayer/deathmatch stuff, I just
>>want a good solo adventure that I can play in my spare time.
>>
>> -I like a good story and NPCs
>> -I like games where I can use stealth rather than just run around in
>> circles blowing stuff away
>> -I like variety, like HL2's vehicles, squads, antlion armies, etc.
>>

>> Any suggestions? Doom 3? I figure nothing will live up to HL2
>> (until Lost Coast or HL3 comes out), so for now I'll settle for a
>> close second.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> chris.
>
> If you have already played the other games being suggested, which I
> agree wholeheartedly with (especially Deus Ex as I consider it the
> best game ever), and you are really looking for a story driven game
> with lots of stealth, you might want to look into Second Sight. As
> you read the reviews, you'll find it genreally rated hightly except
> for the targeting control setup. It is is somewhat cumbersome and can
> be frustrating when the game chooses one target and you want another.
> But that is all the more reason to use stealth and not do battle with
> more than two enemies at a time. Normally, I'll quit plying agame
> pretty quickly if the control is funky, but the story and the psychic
> weapons kept me going. It was worth it. And you can probably pick it
> up cheap.
>

> Bob

Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Buther's Bay was pretty cool. It
would be better if i could make a MOD for it.

I NEED to make a single-player mod for Half-Life 2, but I don't know how.
I was told it was suppose to be mod-friendly. But, so far it seems like
mod-stuck-up-bitch.
Anonymous
August 27, 2005 12:45:49 AM

"The Hermit" wrote

> I NEED to make a single-player mod for Half-Life 2, but I don't know how.
> I was told it was suppose to be mod-friendly. But, so far it seems like
> mod-stuck-up-bitch.

It IS mod friendly :-)
How far have you gone and what seems to the problem?

It's even more easier to do maps in HL2 than it was in old HL

SP mods usually involves changing the gameplay, introduce new models and new
maps
Changing the gameplay demands experienced C++ developers
New models demands experienced 3D modelers and map making also demands 3D
modeling, architectural skills/knowledge and logic analytical skills etc
Also for models and maps new materials/texture is needed which as well
demands experience in working with imaging and graphical tools

More information at
http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Making_a_MOD

Main page
http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Main_Page

Oh this is interesting
The Cabal: Valve's Design Process For Creating Half-Life
http://www.gamasutra.com/features/19991210/birdwell_pfv...

HTH/Peter
Anonymous
August 27, 2005 3:27:13 AM

"Peter [AGHL]" <peter.aghl@gmail.com> wrote in

> "The Hermit" wrote
>
>> I NEED to make a single-player mod for Half-Life 2, but I don't know
>> how. I was told it was suppose to be mod-friendly. But, so far it
>> seems like mod-stuck-up-bitch.
>
> It IS mod friendly :-)
> How far have you gone and what seems to the problem?
>
> It's even more easier to do maps in HL2 than it was in old HL
>
> SP mods usually involves changing the gameplay, introduce new models
> and new maps
> Changing the gameplay demands experienced C++ developers
> New models demands experienced 3D modelers and map making also demands
> 3D modeling, architectural skills/knowledge and logic analytical
> skills etc Also for models and maps new materials/texture is needed
> which as well demands experience in working with imaging and graphical
> tools

I want to add all new maps, new voices and maybe new characters-or at
least new skins to old characters. I had been making some interesting
locations (in and outside) and collected wavs from other games (probably
illegal, and I don't care) but, I don't know how to turn it all into a
HL2 Mod!

and thanks for the links

> More information at
> http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Making_a_MOD
>
> Main page
> http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Main_Page
>
> Oh this is interesting
> The Cabal: Valve's Design Process For Creating Half-Life
> http://www.gamasutra.com/features/19991210/birdwell_pfv...
>
> HTH/Peter

Anonymous
August 27, 2005 2:07:11 PM

"The Hermit" wrote

> but, I don't know how to turn it all into a HL2 Mod!

Ahh but that's the beauty of it all
Have you downloaded the SDK through Steam (you must have
You should have a link in the menu: Create New MOD
Better check ....

Source SDK Menu
Utillities
Create a MOD