Finished HL2, what next?

I just finished Half-Life 2 and I'm starving for another first-person
shooter. I'm not really into the multiplayer/deathmatch stuff, I just
want a good solo adventure that I can play in my spare time.

-I like a good story and NPCs
-I like games where I can use stealth rather than just run around in
circles blowing stuff away
-I like variety, like HL2's vehicles, squads, antlion armies, etc.

Any suggestions? Doom 3? I figure nothing will live up to HL2 (until
Lost Coast or HL3 comes out), so for now I'll settle for a close second.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
chris.
13 answers Last reply
More about finished next

    alabaster wrote:
    > I just finished Half-Life 2 and I'm starving for another first-person
    > shooter. I'm not really into the multiplayer/deathmatch stuff, I just
    > want a good solo adventure that I can play in my spare time.
    >
    > -I like a good story and NPCs
    > -I like games where I can use stealth rather than just run around in
    > circles blowing stuff away
    > -I like variety, like HL2's vehicles, squads, antlion armies, etc.
    >

    > Any suggestions? Doom 3? I figure nothing will live up to HL2 (until
    > Lost Coast or HL3 comes out), so for now I'll settle for a close second.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    Far Cry
    IGI (1 or 2)
    Deus Ex (not so much eye candy, but a fantastically layered game with a
    strong story)

    * alabaster wrote:
    > I just finished Half-Life 2 and I'm starving for another first-person
    > shooter. I'm not really into the multiplayer/deathmatch stuff, I just
    > want a good solo adventure that I can play in my spare time.
    >
    > -I like a good story and NPCs -I like games where I can use stealth
    > rather than just run around in circles blowing stuff away -I like
    > variety, like HL2's vehicles, squads, antlion armies, etc.
    >
    > Any suggestions? Doom 3? I figure nothing will live up to HL2 (until
    > Lost Coast or HL3 comes out), so for now I'll settle for a close
    > second.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    Tried Far Cry? I am only part way through it. Variety of vehicles etc.

    --
    PiG$$
    e : gamepig@piggo.com

    alabaster wrote:

    > Any suggestions? Doom 3? I figure nothing will live up to HL2 (until
    > Lost Coast or HL3 comes out), so for now I'll settle for a close second.

    Hmm I don't know
    I am a bit impressed by the Splinter Cell series, though it's a bit
    different than HL2 :-)

    Far Cry, Painkiller ...

    Stalker?
    New video from SC Game World :-)
    http://www.stalker-game.com/index_eng.html

    What about a HL2 SP Mod?
    Substance?
    http://ludus1942.ngi.it/index.html
    Better than DOOM3 hehe

    HTH

    What about Riddick Maybe ???

    "alabaster" <noemail@noemail.com> wrote in message
    >I just finished Half-Life 2 and I'm starving for another first-person
    >shooter. I'm not really into the multiplayer/deathmatch stuff, I just want
    >a good solo adventure that I can play in my spare time.
    >
    > -I like a good story and NPCs
    > -I like games where I can use stealth rather than just run around in
    > circles blowing stuff away
    > -I like variety, like HL2's vehicles, squads, antlion armies, etc.
    >

    > Any suggestions? Doom 3? I figure nothing will live up to HL2 (until
    > Lost Coast or HL3 comes out), so for now I'll settle for a close second.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > chris.

    Tribes vengence is quite good if you have done all the rest!

    "alabaster" <noemail@noemail.com> wrote
    > I just finished Half-Life 2 and I'm starving for another first-person
    > shooter. I'm not really into the multiplayer/deathmatch stuff, I just
    > want a good solo adventure that I can play in my spare time.

    Have you played the original HL? Good stuff, even by todays standards. I'm
    constantly dranw back to it.
    --
    David
    davidfirewater(a)hotmail.com

    PiG$$ wrote:
    > * alabaster wrote:
    >
    >>I just finished Half-Life 2 and I'm starving for another first-person
    >>shooter. I'm not really into the multiplayer/deathmatch stuff, I just
    >>want a good solo adventure that I can play in my spare time.
    >>
    >>-I like a good story and NPCs -I like games where I can use stealth
    >>rather than just run around in circles blowing stuff away -I like
    >>variety, like HL2's vehicles, squads, antlion armies, etc.
    >>
    >>Any suggestions? Doom 3? I figure nothing will live up to HL2 (until
    >>Lost Coast or HL3 comes out), so for now I'll settle for a close
    >>second.
    >>
    >>Any ideas?
    >

    > Tried Far Cry? I am only part way through it. Variety of vehicles etc.

    I second Far Cry (actually third when you could Chadwick's
    recommendation). It hasn't got the best story and the NPCs you don't
    generally interact with directly, but then again it DOES have a heck of
    a lot of gameplay freedom. You can use stealth or rambo action depending
    on the situation, and stealth actually works here. Variety is the spice
    of life, and Fry Cry does have that to. Some of the enemies are a bit
    annoying (i.e. monkey trigens that can can hit you even from a few feet
    away), but overall it'll probably satisfy you quite nicely.

    DOOM 3's a game you'll either love of hate, or love at first and then
    hate due to it's LACK of variety. It's great fun at first and very
    atmospheric, but due to the lack of gameplay variety you won't get much
    out of subsequent plays.

    "alabaster" <noemail@noemail.com> wrote in message
    >I just finished Half-Life 2 and I'm starving for another first-person
    >shooter. I'm not really into the multiplayer/deathmatch stuff, I just want
    >a good solo adventure that I can play in my spare time.
    >
    > -I like a good story and NPCs
    > -I like games where I can use stealth rather than just run around in
    > circles blowing stuff away
    > -I like variety, like HL2's vehicles, squads, antlion armies, etc.
    >

    > Any suggestions? Doom 3? I figure nothing will live up to HL2 (until
    > Lost Coast or HL3 comes out), so for now I'll settle for a close second.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > chris.

    If you have already played the other games being suggested, which I agree
    wholeheartedly with (especially Deus Ex as I consider it the best game
    ever), and you are really looking for a story driven game with lots of
    stealth, you might want to look into Second Sight. As you read the reviews,
    you'll find it genreally rated hightly except for the targeting control
    setup. It is is somewhat cumbersome and can be frustrating when the game
    chooses one target and you want another. But that is all the more reason to
    use stealth and not do battle with more than two enemies at a time.
    Normally, I'll quit plying agame pretty quickly if the control is funky, but
    the story and the psychic weapons kept me going. It was worth it. And you
    can probably pick it up cheap.

    Bob

    "rjdriver" <rjdrivers@cox.net> wrote in

    > "alabaster" <noemail@noemail.com> wrote in message
    >>I just finished Half-Life 2 and I'm starving for another first-person
    >>shooter. I'm not really into the multiplayer/deathmatch stuff, I just
    >>want a good solo adventure that I can play in my spare time.
    >>
    >> -I like a good story and NPCs
    >> -I like games where I can use stealth rather than just run around in
    >> circles blowing stuff away
    >> -I like variety, like HL2's vehicles, squads, antlion armies, etc.
    >>

    >> Any suggestions? Doom 3? I figure nothing will live up to HL2
    >> (until Lost Coast or HL3 comes out), so for now I'll settle for a
    >> close second.
    >>
    >> Any ideas?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> chris.
    >
    > If you have already played the other games being suggested, which I
    > agree wholeheartedly with (especially Deus Ex as I consider it the
    > best game ever), and you are really looking for a story driven game
    > with lots of stealth, you might want to look into Second Sight. As
    > you read the reviews, you'll find it genreally rated hightly except
    > for the targeting control setup. It is is somewhat cumbersome and can
    > be frustrating when the game chooses one target and you want another.
    > But that is all the more reason to use stealth and not do battle with
    > more than two enemies at a time. Normally, I'll quit plying agame
    > pretty quickly if the control is funky, but the story and the psychic
    > weapons kept me going. It was worth it. And you can probably pick it
    > up cheap.
    >

    > Bob

    Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Buther's Bay was pretty cool. It
    would be better if i could make a MOD for it.

    I NEED to make a single-player mod for Half-Life 2, but I don't know how.
    I was told it was suppose to be mod-friendly. But, so far it seems like
    mod-stuck-up-bitch.

    "The Hermit" wrote

    > I NEED to make a single-player mod for Half-Life 2, but I don't know how.
    > I was told it was suppose to be mod-friendly. But, so far it seems like
    > mod-stuck-up-bitch.

    It IS mod friendly :-)
    How far have you gone and what seems to the problem?

    It's even more easier to do maps in HL2 than it was in old HL

    SP mods usually involves changing the gameplay, introduce new models and new
    maps
    Changing the gameplay demands experienced C++ developers
    New models demands experienced 3D modelers and map making also demands 3D
    modeling, architectural skills/knowledge and logic analytical skills etc
    Also for models and maps new materials/texture is needed which as well
    demands experience in working with imaging and graphical tools

    More information at
    http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Making_a_MOD

    Main page
    http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Main_Page

    Oh this is interesting
    The Cabal: Valve's Design Process For Creating Half-Life
    http://www.gamasutra.com/features/19991210/birdwell_pfv.htm

    HTH/Peter

    "Peter [AGHL]" <peter.aghl@gmail.com> wrote in

    > "The Hermit" wrote
    >
    >> I NEED to make a single-player mod for Half-Life 2, but I don't know
    >> how. I was told it was suppose to be mod-friendly. But, so far it
    >> seems like mod-stuck-up-bitch.
    >
    > It IS mod friendly :-)
    > How far have you gone and what seems to the problem?
    >
    > It's even more easier to do maps in HL2 than it was in old HL
    >
    > SP mods usually involves changing the gameplay, introduce new models
    > and new maps
    > Changing the gameplay demands experienced C++ developers
    > New models demands experienced 3D modelers and map making also demands
    > 3D modeling, architectural skills/knowledge and logic analytical
    > skills etc Also for models and maps new materials/texture is needed
    > which as well demands experience in working with imaging and graphical
    > tools

    I want to add all new maps, new voices and maybe new characters-or at
    least new skins to old characters. I had been making some interesting
    locations (in and outside) and collected wavs from other games (probably
    illegal, and I don't care) but, I don't know how to turn it all into a
    HL2 Mod!

    and thanks for the links

    > More information at
    > http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Making_a_MOD
    >
    > Main page
    > http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Main_Page
    >
    > Oh this is interesting
    > The Cabal: Valve's Design Process For Creating Half-Life
    > http://www.gamasutra.com/features/19991210/birdwell_pfv.htm
    >
    > HTH/Peter

    "The Hermit" wrote

    > but, I don't know how to turn it all into a HL2 Mod!

    Ahh but that's the beauty of it all
    Have you downloaded the SDK through Steam (you must have
    You should have a link in the menu: Create New MOD
    Better check ....

    Source SDK Menu
    Utillities
    Create a MOD