Image a drive?

I want to image a computer without installing any software, is there
something available that will not leave a trace of me imaging the machine?
10 answers Last reply
More about image drive

    > I want to image a computer without installing any software, is there
    > something available that will not leave a trace of me imaging the machine?

    If you know that computer well, you may try to Ghost it via PXE / boot CD /
    boot Floppy to a remote network share.

    HotRod wrote:

    > I want to image a computer without installing any software, is there
    > something available that will not leave a trace of me imaging the machine?

    Ghost

    "CJT" wrote:
    > HotRod wrote:
    >
    >> I want to image a computer without installing any software, is there
    >> something available that will not leave a trace of me imaging the machine?
    >
    > Ghost

    Which Ghost? Ghost 9.0 requires the installation of .NET Framework.

    *TimDaniels*

    > Which Ghost? Ghost 9.0 requires the installation of .NET
    Framework.

    Ghost 8.2, 8.0, 7.5 ...maybe 2003

    Timothy Daniels wrote:

    > "CJT" wrote:
    >
    >> HotRod wrote:
    >>
    >>> I want to image a computer without installing any software, is there
    >>> something available that will not leave a trace of me imaging the
    >>> machine?
    >>

    >> Ghost
    >

    > Which Ghost? Ghost 9.0 requires the installation of .NET Framework.
    >
    > *TimDaniels*

    I'm still using Ghost 2002. It runs off of a floppy.

    "CJT" wrote:
    > Timothy Daniels wrote:

    >>> Ghost
    >>
    >> Which Ghost? Ghost 9.0 requires the installation of
    >> .NET Framework.
    >
    > I'm still using Ghost 2002. It runs off of a floppy.

    Will Ghost 2002 work for Windows XP?

    *TimDaniels*

    Timothy Daniels wrote:

    > "CJT" wrote:
    >
    >> Timothy Daniels wrote:

    >>> Which Ghost? Ghost 9.0 requires the installation of
    >>> .NET Framework.
    >>

    >> I'm still using Ghost 2002. It runs off of a floppy.
    >

    > Will Ghost 2002 work for Windows XP?
    >
    > *TimDaniels*

    I don't think it cares about the OS, just the file system.

    Of those, it does FAT, NTFS, and EXT2 according to the
    documentation; no guarantees from me.

    I've never tried it on a disk over 128GB -- I suspect it might
    have issues.

    CJT <abujlehc@prodigy.net> wrote
    > HotRod wrote

    >> I want to image a computer without installing any software, is there
    >> something available that will not leave a trace of me imaging the machine?

    > Ghost

    Not ghost 9, it needs to be installed to image a system.

    ghost32.exe can do it but is a bit of a dog to setup if you
    dont know what you are doing and use BartPE etc to run it.

    HotRod <NoSpam@YourEmail.com> wrote

    > I want to image a computer without installing any software, is there
    > something available that will not leave a trace of me imaging the machine?

    Yes, True Image can do that from the rescue CD. Writing the image
    to anywhere you like, USB2/firewire drive, across the lan etc.

    On Fri, 9 Sep 2005 15:15:04 -0400, "HotRod" <NoSpam@YourEmail.com>
    wrote:

    >I want to image a computer without installing any software, is there
    >something available that will not leave a trace of me imaging the machine?

    If it's for non-forensic applications, TI8 from the boot disk is
    probably the best bet, as has been stated.

    For forensic purposes (like needing to have the unused space imaged as
    well), and especially for legal purposes, there are programs
    specifically designed for that, like EnCase, FTK, SMART, or dcfldd.

    The evidentiary chain procedures become as important as the technique
    used for those cases.

Storage