800x600, 1024x768 ?

mack

This is such a basic question I'm embarrassed to post it here but what's the
difference between 800x600, 1024x768, etc. screen resolutions? It seems to
me that the higher the resolution the smaller the text, picture, etc., and
the harder it is to see on your screen, yet most people prefere the higher
resolutions and many web pages are now only fully veiwable at the higher
resolutions. I must be missing something here.
--
Mack

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

The screen resolution is how many pixels by how many pixels. If you screen is
set to 800x600 there are 800 vertical pixels and 600 horizontal. The more
pixels, the more can be displayed on a screen. For video, the higher the
resolution, the clearer the image. Hope that helps a bit!

"Mack" wrote:

> This is such a basic question I'm embarrassed to post it here but what's the
> difference between 800x600, 1024x768, etc. screen resolutions? It seems to
> me that the higher the resolution the smaller the text, picture, etc., and
> the harder it is to see on your screen, yet most people prefere the higher
> resolutions and many web pages are now only fully veiwable at the higher
> resolutions. I must be missing something here.
> --
> Mack

peter

In simple terms
the higher the numbers the higher the pixel count
the higher the pixel count the finer the picture

like watching a VHS tape versus a DVD
peter
"Mack" <Mack@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> This is such a basic question I'm embarrassed to post it here but what's the
> difference between 800x600, 1024x768, etc. screen resolutions? It seems to
> me that the higher the resolution the smaller the text, picture, etc., and
> the harder it is to see on your screen, yet most people prefere the higher
> resolutions and many web pages are now only fully veiwable at the higher
> resolutions. I must be missing something here.
> --
> Mack

Mack

It's a compromise between how much you can get
on the screen, and how easily you can read it.
My PC can display up to 1280 x 1024, but I use 1024 x 768
because I can't read the screen at the higher resolution.
Try various settings and see what's comfortable for you.

Dave Hart

"Mack" <Mack@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> This is such a basic question I'm embarrassed to post it here but what's
the
> difference between 800x600, 1024x768, etc. screen resolutions? It seems
> me that the higher the resolution the smaller the text, picture, etc., and
> the harder it is to see on your screen, yet most people prefere the higher
> resolutions and many web pages are now only fully veiwable at the higher
> resolutions. I must be missing something here.
> --
> Mack

mack

Hi Dave, I understood the other answers but your answer was really what I
was asking about. I guess on a 19" monitor it would be ok to use 1024 x 768.
The text is a little small but at least I don't have to use the botton
scroll bar as often when viewing some web pages. Thanks for the great
answer. Mack

"Dave Hart" wrote:

> Mack
>
> It's a compromise between how much you can get
> on the screen, and how easily you can read it.
> My PC can display up to 1280 x 1024, but I use 1024 x 768
> because I can't read the screen at the higher resolution.
> Try various settings and see what's comfortable for you.
>
> Dave Hart
>
> "Mack" <Mack@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > This is such a basic question I'm embarrassed to post it here but what's
> the
> > difference between 800x600, 1024x768, etc. screen resolutions? It seems
> > me that the higher the resolution the smaller the text, picture, etc., and
> > the harder it is to see on your screen, yet most people prefere the higher
> > resolutions and many web pages are now only fully veiwable at the higher
> > resolutions. I must be missing something here.
> > --
> > Mack

Don't forget you can "tailer" most of the text, icons, etc. sizes under
Display Settings/Appearence/Advanced.

For example, I run 19" at 1280x1024 but do find the default text and icons
size to small to see easily. Therefore, I go into above mentioned dialog box
and change icon size/space to 48 and almost all the various text sizes to 10
from 8. I then end up with more "full page" web pages and can more easily
read menus, list boxes etc. etc.