USB 3.5" HD Enclosure Power Supply

Are there any enclosures out there that are powered through the USB
cable instead of a regular power cable? The reason that I'm asking
is because I need to transport this HD between work and my home and I
do not like the idea of plugging in the power cord every time I need
to use the drive. Maybe I'm just lazy but it would be a lot easier
to plug in just one cord. Thanks in advance for the replies.

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 09:31:50 GMT,
lav9794@hotmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid (lav9794) wrote:

>Are there any enclosures out there that are powered through the USB
>cable instead of a regular power cable?

Only for laptop 2.5" hard drives and Microdrives. 3.5" hard drives
aren't designed to be power efficient and won't run off USB power
without breaking the 500mA limit.

Unless your need is in several GB range, just get a thumb drive, they
are like $20 for 512MB these day.

Previously lav9794 <lav9794@hotmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote:
> Are there any enclosures out there that are powered through the USB
> cable instead of a regular power cable? The reason that I'm asking
> is because I need to transport this HD between work and my home and I
> do not like the idea of plugging in the power cord every time I need
> to use the drive. Maybe I'm just lazy but it would be a lot easier
> to plug in just one cord. Thanks in advance for the replies.

Not possiblem USB supplies <500mA at 5V. That is a stretch even for
some laptop drives at start-up. For a 3.5" drive you woul need to
combine the power of something like 15 USB ports to have enough
to allow the drive to start. You would also need to pump most of
it up to 12V.

That would give you 15 cords instead of 2 ;-)

Arno

Not really, as normal 3,5" disks draw too much power to be served by USB
ports..
I've seen (laptop) 2,5" disks and smaller working thus, though...

--
Tumppi
Reply to group

"lav9794" <lav9794@hotmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> kirjoitti viestissä
> Are there any enclosures out there that are powered through the USB
> cable instead of a regular power cable? The reason that I'm asking
> is because I need to transport this HD between work and my home and I
> do not like the idea of plugging in the power cord every time I need
> to use the drive. Maybe I'm just lazy but it would be a lot easier
> to plug in just one cord. Thanks in advance for the replies.

lav9794 <lav9794@hotmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote

> Are there any enclosures out there that are powered
> through the USB cable instead of a regular power cable?

Yes, particularly those that have 2.5" laptop drives in them.

> The reason that I'm asking is because I need to transport this HD
> between work and my home and I do not like the idea of plugging
> in the power cord every time I need to use the drive. Maybe I'm
> just lazy but it would be a lot easier to plug in just one cord.

Sure.

> Thanks in advance for the replies.

Even those that tell you to shove your head up a dead bear's arse ?