My USB flash went crazy!!

Hi all
I've got a Sony MicroVault USB Flash with 1GB capacity,
it has a problem, "I copied folders containing file into them, after
that I unplugged it safely, when I wnted to copy my data back I
couldn't I plugged it whether in the same PC or another I couldn't
see my folder, I see instead of the file 17 or 19 folders and all of
them share the same name (00000000.0000) when I click on them I have
a message (data either corruted or unreadable)
What can I do to my USB flash to avoid this problem in the future?
is there any utility to fix this problem?
(for the data I have a backup set for the them)
PS: this the second time I experience this problem.

Sounds like a DUD USB stick. If still under warranty send it back for
a new one. Or refund.

Nothing you can do to stop it. Sound slike you do the right thing. No
firmware to change or anything its ahardware stuff up.

"maznabili" <maznabili@hotmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
> Hi all
> I've got a Sony MicroVault USB Flash with 1GB capacity,
> it has a problem, "I copied folders containing file into them, after
> that I unplugged it safely, when I wnted to copy my data back I
> couldn't I plugged it whether in the same PC or another I couldn't
> see my folder, I see instead of the file 17 or 19 folders and all of
> them share the same name (00000000.0000) when I click on them I have
> a message (data either corruted or unreadable)
> What can I do to my USB flash to avoid this problem in the future?
> is there any utility to fix this problem?
> (for the data I have a backup set for the them)
> PS: this the second time I experience this problem.

I had this exact same result (corrupt files on flash memory) however it was
the reader that did it.

I had a CF card though, but it ended up doing the same thing to my files.
After I troubleshot it for a little bit (formatted, scanned, etc...) I tried
the card in another computer's reader and it worked flawlessly so that told
me it was the reader. Replaced the reader and all was fine from that point
on.

Yours is USB so replacing the 'reader' might not be possible (unless you're
using a hub or extension cable) but first I would try the memory stick in
another computer to see if the problem follows you. Those drives are pretty
bulletproof (not saying you can't get a bad one, but they don't GO bad
except in pretty rare cases). A lot of them have lifetime warranties if
that tells you anything. Nothing in the retail world today has lifetime
warranties unless they've got such a low failure rate that it's a non-issue.

If the problem does follow you though, then start the process of replacing
it via the manufacturer. You might need the receipt though, so be prepared.

--
Shawn Wilson