Problem with WD Lifeguard Tools

Last response: in Storage
a b G Storage
September 12, 2005 1:15:01 AM

I'm trying to run the WD Lifeguard tools from a boot CD. I used the iso
provided by WD to make the CD and it boots into Kaldera (spelling?) DOS ok.
The problem is it then it complains it can't find files on A: Why is it
looking for the floppy drive? The required files are on the CD ok so it
looks like the CD hasn't been asigned A:

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?
Anonymous
a b G Storage
September 12, 2005 1:52:43 PM

news.telenet.be <Not@Valid.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to run the WD Lifeguard tools from a boot CD. I used
> the iso provided by WD to make the CD and it boots into Kaldera
> (spelling?) DOS ok. The problem is it then it complains it can't find
> files on A: Why is it looking for the floppy drive?

It isnt necessarily, thats the way bootable CDs work,
they can come up with the A letter in some cases.

> The required files are on the CD ok so it
> looks like the CD hasn't been asigned A:

> Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Nope.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
September 12, 2005 4:08:02 PM

Rod Speed <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote
> news.telenet.be <Not@Valid.com> wrote

>> I'm trying to run the WD Lifeguard tools from a boot CD. I used
>> the iso provided by WD to make the CD and it boots into Kaldera
>> (spelling?) DOS ok. The problem is it then it complains it can't find
>> files on A: Why is it looking for the floppy drive?

> It isnt necessarily, thats the way bootable CDs work,
> they can come up with the A letter in some cases.

>> The required files are on the CD ok so it
>> looks like the CD hasn't been asigned A:

>> Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

> Nope.

Works fine for me, the CD does indeed get the A: drive letter
and it just reports no WD drives found and ends up at the dos
prompt here. The WD drives are all offline currently here.

Likely there is something about your system that stops
Caldera DOS from assigning the A drive to the CD etc.
a b G Storage
September 12, 2005 4:08:03 PM

> Works fine for me, the CD does indeed get the A: drive letter
> and it just reports no WD drives found and ends up at the dos
> prompt here. The WD drives are all offline currently here.
>
> Likely there is something about your system that stops
> Caldera DOS from assigning the A drive to the CD etc.

Thanks Rod. Shame it isn't drive letter independent. Couldn't see a path
specified anywhere so I guess it's hard coded into the .exe

Looks like my WD is toast anyway. Started to go slow about a week ago and
backups took 4 hours instead of 45 mins. I managed to run the tools once
from Windows but it passed and the SMART data was all OK (Is SMART
worthless?). Then yesterday it made a few odd noises. They have stopped but
XP either crashes (normal mode) or it seems to get stuck in a loop (safe
mode). The drive LED looks like it's doing continious retries - perhaps it
isn't but thats what it looks like.

This is my third WD Caviar drive in three years that hasn't outlived the
warranty (average lifetime about 12-18 months). Two in my PC and one in an
External enclosure. All have really good cooling so it's not overheating.
I'm probably working them to death as they I've been making full image
backups with DI and running full antivirus and antispyware scans every night
(so probably 5 or 6 full reads nightly).

Will probamly try a Samsung Spinpoint now. Might hook up the WD as a slave
just to see if I can figure out what's wrong with it. I'm not worried about
the data as I've got backups.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
September 12, 2005 4:11:22 PM

"news.telenet.be" <Not@Valid.com> wrote in message
news:p 71Ve.191713$8q.10500202@phobos.telenet-ops.be...
> I'm trying to run the WD Lifeguard tools from a boot CD. I used the iso
> provided by WD to make the CD and it boots into Kaldera (spelling?) DOS
ok.
> The problem is it then it complains it can't find files on A: Why is it
> looking for the floppy drive? The required files are on the CD ok so it
> looks like the CD hasn't been asigned A:
>
> Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Downloaded the zipped ISO over the weekend. Nero made the CD. The CD boots
okay, and the utilities seems to run fine.
The boot portion of the CD is designed for A: drive designation. So, you
get the drive letter "a:".
My guess is you got a dirty download. Or, doubtfully, the newly burned CD
is already has dust or fingerprints. I would try another download.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
September 12, 2005 8:18:14 PM

> My guess is you got a dirty download. Or, doubtfully, the newly burned
CD
> is already has dust or fingerprints. I would try another download.

Thanks but that was my first thought. Downloaded it twice and burnt two CDR
but no joy. Anyway got worse problem now. See reply to Rod.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
September 12, 2005 11:31:04 PM

news.telenet.be <Not@Valid.com> wrote
> Rod Speed <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote

>> Works fine for me, the CD does indeed get the A: drive letter
>> and it just reports no WD drives found and ends up at the dos
>> prompt here. The WD drives are all offline currently here.

>> Likely there is something about your system that stops
>> Caldera DOS from assigning the A drive to the CD etc.

> Thanks Rod. Shame it isn't drive letter independent. Couldn't see
> a path specified anywhere so I guess it's hard coded into the .exe

In Caldera, actually. You can boot any CD you
like and then run the diag from that other CD fine.

> Looks like my WD is toast anyway. Started to go slow about
> a week ago and backups took 4 hours instead of 45 mins.
> I managed to run the tools once from Windows but it passed
> and the SMART data was all OK (Is SMART worthless?).

Nope, but I use Everest and inspect the SMART data
directly myself, I dont use the utes that claim to tell
you what the SMART data is saying on drive viability.

The Everest data should have shown you
why the backups took so much longer.

> Then yesterday it made a few odd noises. They have stopped
> but XP either crashes (normal mode) or it seems to get stuck
> in a loop (safe mode). The drive LED looks like it's doing
> continious retries - perhaps it isn't but thats what it looks like.

Yeah, it likely is retrying on errors and that
is why the backup took so much longer.

> This is my third WD Caviar drive in three years that hasn't
> outlived the warranty (average lifetime about 12-18 months).
> Two in my PC and one in an External enclosure.

Yeah, WD does appear to be going thru a bad patch currently.

> All have really good cooling so it's not overheating.
> I'm probably working them to death

Shouldnt be possible.

> as they I've been making full image backups with DI and running full
> antivirus
> and antispyware scans every night (so probably 5 or 6 full reads nightly).

Should be fine as long as the temperature doesnt get too high during those.

> Will probamly try a Samsung Spinpoint now.

Yeah, that's what I did, gave up on WD myself.

> Might hook up the WD as a slave just to see if I can figure out what's
> wrong with it. I'm not worried about the data as I've got backups.

See what Everest says about the SMART data and drive temps.
http://www.lavalys.hu/products/overview.php?pid=1&lang=...
Anonymous
a b G Storage
September 12, 2005 11:31:05 PM

> > Will probamly try a Samsung Spinpoint now.
>
> Yeah, that's what I did, gave up on WD myself.

Ok - Installed a brand new Samsung and powered up. Couldn't get into the
BIOS - it never just rains does it!

I get the AMI BIOS splash screen and the message "Checking NVRAM.." but
nothing further. I've tried disconnecting the HD and I resetting the BIOS
using the jumper but I still get hung at the same place. Is it likely I
stuffed my BIOS when cleaning out the dust? I think it normally reports the
DRAM size next so I'll try reseating the module.

Anything else to try before looking for a new BIOS chip?

Thanks

Colin
Anonymous
a b G Storage
September 12, 2005 11:31:05 PM

"Rod Speed" <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:3ol06qF6c81uU1@individual.net
> news.telenet.be <Not@Valid.com> wrote
> > Rod Speed <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote
>
> > > Works fine for me, the CD does indeed get the A: drive letter
> > > and it just reports no WD drives found and ends up at the dos
> > > prompt here. The WD drives are all offline currently here.
>
> > > Likely there is something about your system that stops
> > > Caldera DOS from assigning the A drive to the CD etc.
>
> > Thanks Rod. Shame it isn't drive letter independent. Couldn't see
> > a path specified anywhere so I guess it's hard coded into the .exe
>
> In Caldera, actually.

Nope, in the CD boottype and the bios evaluation of that.

> You can boot any CD you
> like and then run the diag from that other CD fine.

[snip]
Anonymous
a b G Storage
September 12, 2005 11:31:06 PM

> I get the AMI BIOS splash screen and the message "Checking NVRAM.." but
> nothing further. I've tried disconnecting the HD and I resetting the BIOS
> using the jumper but I still get hung at the same place.

Seems that using the jumper wasn't enough. I tried taking out the battery
and replacing it. Now I can get into the BIOS - Yippieeeeeeee
Anonymous
a b G Storage
September 13, 2005 7:50:52 AM

Folkert Rienstra <see_reply-to@myweb.nl> wrote
> Rod Speed <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote
>> news.telenet.be <Not@Valid.com> wrote
>>> Rod Speed <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote

>>> Thanks Rod. Shame it isn't drive letter independent. Couldn't see
>>> a path specified anywhere so I guess it's hard coded into the .exe

>> In Caldera, actually.

> Nope, in the CD boottype and the bios evaluation of that.

Wrong. As always. Doesnt explain why you can get a different
result with the different DOS OSs with the systems that allow
you to control which DOS OS is used when creating the CD.

>> You can boot any CD you like and then
>> run the diag from that other CD fine.

From the WD CD I meant.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
September 13, 2005 7:50:53 AM

"Rod Speed" <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:3oltfvF6icteU1@individual.net
> Folkert Rienstra <see_reply-to@myweb.nl> wrote
> > Rod Speed <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote
> > > news.telenet.be <Not@Valid.com> wrote

> > > In Caldera, actually.
>
> > Nope, in the CD boottype and the bios evaluation of that.
>
> Wrong. As always.

Thanks for acknowledging your mistake in your usual manner, Roddles.

> Doesnt explain why you can get a different
> result with the different DOS OSs with the systems that allow
> you to control which DOS OS is used when creating the CD.

Whatever that blithering nonsense is supposed to mean.

There are 3 types of drive emulation in El Torito: Floppy, HD or none.

> > > You can boot any CD you like and then
> > > run the diag from that other CD fine.
>
> From the WD CD I meant.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
September 13, 2005 7:50:53 AM

Hi Rod,

A quick question... I'm restoring a backup image to my new drive which will
become C: Do I need to set the following options?...

"Set the drive active for booting" - I think YES as I'm restoring the OS
partition
"Restore original disk signature" - Not sure?
"Restore MBR" - Not sure?

Thanks

Colin
Anonymous
a b G Storage
September 13, 2005 10:04:27 AM

I didn't read all the replies to your post but I have a couple thoughts
which you can possibly rule out by paying close attention to things:

1. The CD drive is bad/dirty. Notice if you are at an A:\ prompt and you
type something, does the CD drive get accessed as the computer looks for the
file/command you typed? Otherwise maybe the "A drive" is a memory drive, in
which case the CD drive being bad/dirty is probably not the case as the
files should be loaded into memory and errors would appear sooner as it
tried to load them from CD.

1b. I have a memory stick that boots up to some sort of linux program that
mounts floppy images as if you booted from a floppy, its cool cause I can
load 20+ floppy images on a small mem stick and boot to any for diagnostics
etc (limited only by the size of the stick). Anyway, on some systems there
is a floppy setting that must be enabled in the bios or the linux boot
program can't mount an image. Screw with your bios floppy settings, I can't
remember which one I had to change.

2. Just to step around whatever problem you are having, make a floppy
instead of the CD. Do you have a floppy drive? I still like floppy drives,
as close to outdated as they are.

--Dan

"news.telenet.be" <Not@Valid.com> wrote in message
news:p 71Ve.191713$8q.10500202@phobos.telenet-ops.be...
> I'm trying to run the WD Lifeguard tools from a boot CD. I used the iso
> provided by WD to make the CD and it boots into Kaldera (spelling?) DOS
> ok.
> The problem is it then it complains it can't find files on A: Why is it
> looking for the floppy drive? The required files are on the CD ok so it
> looks like the CD hasn't been asigned A:
>
> Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Anonymous
a b G Storage
September 13, 2005 11:41:13 AM

news.telenet.be <Not@Valid.com> wrote

> A quick question... I'm restoring a backup image to my new drive
> which will become C: Do I need to set the following options?...

> "Set the drive active for booting" -
> I think YES as I'm restoring the OS partition

Yes.

> "Restore original disk signature" - Not sure?

Yes.

> "Restore MBR" - Not sure?

Yes.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
September 13, 2005 11:41:14 AM

> > "Set the drive active for booting" -
> > I think YES as I'm restoring the OS partition
> Yes.
>
> > "Restore original disk signature" - Not sure?
> Yes.
>
> > "Restore MBR" - Not sure?
> Yes.

Thanks Rod I'll give it a go.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
September 13, 2005 11:58:02 AM

"dg" <dan_gus@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I didn't read all the replies to your post but I have a couple thoughts
> which you can possibly rule out by paying close attention to things:
>
> 1. The CD drive is bad/dirty. Notice if you are at an A:\ prompt and you
> type something, does the CD drive get accessed as the computer looks for
the
> file/command you typed?

Thanks for the reply Dan,

Unfortunately I don't get a prompt. The WD program bombs because one of the
files it says it can't find is the license agreement. That is on the CD and
it (and other files) open fine on another PC. Tried using a CDR and a CDR/W
of different makes. The CDs are ok.

I've given up trying to get the WD tools to run for the moment. I've fitted
a new HD and I'm in the process of restoring a backup image using Power
Quest DI.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
September 13, 2005 12:56:42 PM

> "Rod Speed" <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > "Set the drive active for booting" -
> > > I think YES as I'm restoring the OS partition
> > Yes.
> >
> > > "Restore original disk signature" - Not sure?
> > Yes.
> >
> > > "Restore MBR" - Not sure?
> > Yes.
>
> Thanks Rod I'll give it a go.

Oh bother. I think I might have a 48 bit LBA problem. What would the
symptoms be?

The restore went ok but I can't seem to get it to boot. I get this
message... "Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware
configuration problem. Could not read from the selected boot disk. Check
boot path and disk hardware..."

The IDE drive is in the boot path ok and PQRE reports that the drive is
NTFS, Primary, bootable and visible but the parameter "Home" is set to No
whatever that means?

The new drive is a 160G the old one was 120G. During boot up the BIOS
reports

Primary Master
Cyl = 65535
Head = 16
Sector size = 255
Size = 160 GB
LBA Mode = LBA
32 bit mode = on
Block Mode = 16Sec
PIO mode = 4
UDMA Mode = 5

I can explore the drive using PQRE and all the files and folders seem to be
on there (eg the root looks OK) but perhaps that's not the case? I've run
the check disk utility supplied with PQRE and it finds no errors after the
install.

If it's not a 48bit LBA problem I'm running out of ideas what to do next.
Should try wiping the HD, installing XP and then running PQRE from Windows?
Anonymous
a b G Storage
September 13, 2005 5:24:05 PM

> "dg" <dan_gus@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > I didn't read all the replies to your post but I have a couple thoughts
> > which you can possibly rule out by paying close attention to things:
> >
> > 1. The CD drive is bad/dirty. Notice if you are at an A:\ prompt and
you
> > type something, does the CD drive get accessed as the computer looks for
> the
> > file/command you typed?
>
> Thanks for the reply Dan,
>
> Unfortunately I don't get a prompt. The WD program bombs because one of
the
> files it says it can't find is the license agreement. That is on the CD
and
> it (and other files) open fine on another PC. Tried using a CDR and a
CDR/W
> of different makes. The CDs are ok.
>
> I've given up trying to get the WD tools to run for the moment. I've
fitted
> a new HD and I'm in the process of restoring a backup image using Power
> Quest DI.

Would venture that you aren't burning the CD on the PC you're attempting to
boot the CD from. Try another manufacturer/make of CD media instead. Could
be a reflectivity problem due to the CD media used to burn.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
September 13, 2005 5:56:09 PM

> Would venture that you aren't burning the CD on the PC you're attempting
> boot the CD from. Try another manufacturer/make of CD media instead.
Could
> be a reflectivity problem due to the CD media used to burn.

I've never had problems exchanging CDs between these two PC before and can't
believe I'd get exactly the same error twice.

I'm beginning to think I have a more general drive letter problem as I've
now tried twn new hard drives without success.. More on this elsewhere on
this thread.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
September 13, 2005 11:33:22 PM

news.telenet.be <Not@Valid.com> wrote
> news.telenet.be <Not@Valid.com> wrote
>> Rod Speed <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote

>> > "Set the drive active for booting" -

>>> Yes.

>>> Yes.

>>> Yes.

>> Thanks Rod I'll give it a go.

> Oh bother. I think I might have a 48 bit LBA
> problem. What would the symptoms be?

You get corruption of the front of the drive when you write
past the 128G point, basically because it wraps around.

> The restore went ok

Using what ?

> but I can't seem to get it to boot. I get this message...
> "Windows could not start because of a computer disk
> hardware configuration problem. Could not read from the
> selected boot disk. Check boot path and disk hardware..."

> The IDE drive is in the boot path ok and PQRE reports
> that the drive is NTFS, Primary, bootable and visible but
> the parameter "Home" is set to No whatever that means?

> The new drive is a 160G the old one was 120G.
> During boot up the BIOS reports

> Primary Master
> Cyl = 65535
> Head = 16
> Sector size = 255
> Size = 160 GB
> LBA Mode = LBA
> 32 bit mode = on
> Block Mode = 16Sec
> PIO mode = 4
> UDMA Mode = 5

> I can explore the drive using PQRE and all the files and folders
> seem to be on there (eg the root looks OK) but perhaps that's
> not the case? I've run the check disk utility supplied with PQRE
> and it finds no errors after the install.

> If it's not a 48bit LBA problem I'm running out of ideas
> what to do next. Should try wiping the HD, installing XP
> and then running PQRE from Windows?

Shouldnt be necessary.

Maybe what you are restoring is a bit ancient
and cant handle drives over 128G or something.

I know True Image works fine, just did one recently.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
September 13, 2005 11:33:23 PM

Hi Rod,

I've just had a look at the MSI web site for BIOS upgrades and it appears
that support for 160G drives was added _after_ the version of the BIOS that
I have. So it looks like I may have to flash the BIOS to get 160G support -
or I might just go get another 120G.

> > The restore went ok
> Using what ?

Sorry I forgot that vital bit of info.. I'm using PQ Drive Image (Version 7
I think it is).

To do the restore I booted the machine using the Power Quest Recovery
Environment PQRE and used it to restore an image from an external USB drive
to the new blank IDE drive.I used the options..

Set the drive active for booting - YES
Restore original disk signature - YES
Restore MBR - YES

That appears to complete OK and I can explore the drive from within PQRE.
Yet if I set the BIOS to boot from the new drive and get...

"Windows could not start because of a computer disk
hardware configuration problem. Could not read from the
selected boot disk. Check boot path and disk hardware..."

Colin

> > The IDE drive is in the boot path ok and PQRE reports
> > that the drive is NTFS, Primary, bootable and visible but
> > the parameter "Home" is set to No whatever that means?
>
> > The new drive is a 160G the old one was 120G.
> > During boot up the BIOS reports
>
> > Primary Master
> > Cyl = 65535
> > Head = 16
> > Sector size = 255
> > Size = 160 GB
> > LBA Mode = LBA
> > 32 bit mode = on
> > Block Mode = 16Sec
> > PIO mode = 4
> > UDMA Mode = 5
>
> > I can explore the drive using PQRE and all the files and folders
> > seem to be on there (eg the root looks OK) but perhaps that's
> > not the case? I've run the check disk utility supplied with PQRE
> > and it finds no errors after the install.
>
> > If it's not a 48bit LBA problem I'm running out of ideas
> > what to do next. Should try wiping the HD, installing XP
> > and then running PQRE from Windows?
>
> Shouldnt be necessary.
>
> Maybe what you are restoring is a bit ancient
> and cant handle drives over 128G or something.
>
> I know True Image works fine, just did one recently.

Anonymous
a b G Storage
September 13, 2005 11:33:24 PM

> Hi Rod,
>
> I've just had a look at the MSI web site for BIOS upgrades and it appears
> that support for 160G drives was added _after_ the version of the BIOS
that
> I have. So it looks like I may have to flash the BIOS to get 160G
support -
> or I might just go get another 120G.

Humm it doesn't seem to be that. I've now tried restoring to a 120G Samsung
and get exactly the same results. PQ Drive seems to restore the backup image
ok but the result just won't boot for some reason.

Time to try an older backup image.

Colin
Anonymous
a b G Storage
September 13, 2005 11:33:25 PM

> Humm it doesn't seem to be that. I've now tried restoring to a 120G
Samsung
> and get exactly the same results. PQ Drive seems to restore the backup
image
> ok but the result just won't boot for some reason.
>
> Time to try an older backup image.

That didn't work either so... I tried installing XP on the hard drive from
a WinXP CD... and that works - or at least I can now boot from the hard
drive.

So now I'm confused why none of my backup images seem to work. You can use
Drive Image to backup the active partion from within Windows can't you?
Anonymous
a b G Storage
September 14, 2005 7:49:19 AM

news.telenet.be <Not@Valid.com> wrote

> I've just had a look at the MSI web site for BIOS upgrades
> and it appears that support for 160G drives was added _after_
> the version of the BIOS that I have. So it looks like I may have
> to flash the BIOS to get 160G support

Yeah, I'd definitely go that route myself.

> - or I might just go get another 120G.

I wouldnt, in fact I dont even buy 160G drives currently,
buy the 250G drives instead, rather better value.

> Rod Speed <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote

>>> The restore went ok

>> Using what ?

> Sorry I forgot that vital bit of info.. I'm using PQ Drive Image

Yeah, it sounded like that.

> (Version 7 I think it is).

That should be fine version wise. Even 2002 is too.

> To do the restore I booted the machine using the Power Quest Recovery
> Environment PQRE and used it to restore an image from an external USB
> drive to the new blank IDE drive.I used the options..

> Set the drive active for booting - YES
> Restore original disk signature - YES
> Restore MBR - YES

> That appears to complete OK and I can explore the drive from within
> PQRE. Yet if I set the BIOS to boot from the new drive and get...

> "Windows could not start because of a computer disk
> hardware configuration problem. Could not read from the
> selected boot disk. Check boot path and disk hardware..."

Yeah, I'd certainly flash the bios and see what happens then.

>>> The IDE drive is in the boot path ok and PQRE reports
>>> that the drive is NTFS, Primary, bootable and visible but
>>> the parameter "Home" is set to No whatever that means?
>>
>>> The new drive is a 160G the old one was 120G.
>>> During boot up the BIOS reports
>>
>>> Primary Master
>>> Cyl = 65535
>>> Head = 16
>>> Sector size = 255
>>> Size = 160 GB
>>> LBA Mode = LBA
>>> 32 bit mode = on
>>> Block Mode = 16Sec
>>> PIO mode = 4
>>> UDMA Mode = 5
>>
>>> I can explore the drive using PQRE and all the files and folders
>>> seem to be on there (eg the root looks OK) but perhaps that's
>>> not the case? I've run the check disk utility supplied with PQRE
>>> and it finds no errors after the install.
>>
>>> If it's not a 48bit LBA problem I'm running out of ideas
>>> what to do next. Should try wiping the HD, installing XP
>>> and then running PQRE from Windows?
>>
>> Shouldnt be necessary.
>>
>> Maybe what you are restoring is a bit ancient
>> and cant handle drives over 128G or something.
>>
>> I know True Image works fine, just did one recently.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
September 14, 2005 7:52:56 AM

news.telenet.be <Not@Valid.com> wrote
> news.telenet.be <Not@Valid.com> wrote

>> Humm it doesn't seem to be that. I've now tried restoring to a 120G
>> Samsung and get exactly the same results. PQ Drive seems to restore
>> the backup image ok but the result just won't boot for some reason.

>> Time to try an older backup image.

> That didn't work either so... I tried installing XP on the
> hard drive from a WinXP CD... and that works - or at
> least I can now boot from the hard drive.

> So now I'm confused why none of my backup images seem to work. You
> can use Drive Image to backup the active partion from within Windows can't
> you?

Yes, if it actually is 7. 2002 shouldnt let you do that.

Maybe its just a buggy early copy of 7. I never did use it much myself.
You could see if Symantec has a patch for it that might fix the restore problem.

I have given up on Drive Image and Ghost now, use True Image instead.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
September 14, 2005 7:52:57 AM

> > So now I'm confused why none of my backup images seem to work. You
> > can use Drive Image to backup the active partion from within Windows
can't
> > you?
>
> Yes, if it actually is 7. 2002 shouldnt let you do that.

Yes I checked and it's V7. I mabaged to get it to boot by installing XP from
an XP CD then reinstalling the backup using PQRE. However... I think things
are more complicated that I thought....

I managed to get an old backup to boot but it behaves exactly like it did
with my "faulty" WD drive installed. It fails to boot XP in normal and Safe
modes in a similar way (eg at roughly the same point). I'm beginning to
wonder if this is really is a hard drive problem after all!

Any idea how you turn off auto reboot? I know how to do it in windows but
how do you do that if Windows won't boot?
Anonymous
a b G Storage
September 14, 2005 11:43:31 AM

news.telenet.be <Not@Valid.com> wrote
> Rod Speed <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote

>>> So now I'm confused why none of my backup images
>>> seem to work. You can use Drive Image to backup
>>> the active partion from within Windows can't you?

>> Yes, if it actually is 7. 2002 shouldnt let you do that.

> Yes I checked and it's V7. I mabaged to get it to boot by installing
> XP from an XP CD then reinstalling the backup using PQRE. However...
> I think things are more complicated that I thought....

Yeah, looks like there may well be some hardware problem.

> I managed to get an old backup to boot but it behaves
> exactly like it did with my "faulty" WD drive installed. It
> fails to boot XP in normal and Safe modes in a similar
> way (eg at roughly the same point). I'm beginning to
> wonder if this is really is a hard drive problem after all!

Yeah, looks like there may well be some hardware problem.

Not just a problem with the XP install either, because you
have a problem restoring other XP installs too, tho I guess
it might be just a comprehensively screwed XP install that
produces different symptoms when its restored to what it
produced before it was imaged.

Once you are happy that you can restore, you could
try a clean XP install, try imaging and restoring that.
If that works fine, it may just be a screwed XP install.

> Any idea how you turn off auto reboot? I know how to do it
> in windows but how do you do that if Windows won't boot?

You cant basically. You could try repairing the install, proceed
as if you are going to do a clean install, the install will say that
it can see an existing install and ask you if you want to repair it.
Thats not the same thing as the repair console you first see.
Allow it to repair the restored XP and see if that will boot.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
September 14, 2005 4:27:11 PM

Hi Rod,

Bingo... I gave up trying to restore a PQ Drive Image and had a go at
restoring an image I'd made with Ghost. To my surprise that seems to have
worked and my PC booted first attempt. No need to do a repair install etc So
it looks like the problem was with DI - either the backup or restore
process - probably the latter. That's a shame because I quite liked the way
DI worked. It was easy to set and forget.

I'll have to decide what I use now if I can't rely on the version of DI that
I have. The version of Ghost I have is pre the takeover of PQ. I find it
very fussy. I had to help it find the driver for my LAN card to get it to do
a peer-peer restore.

You mentioned you are using True Image now. Have you had to restore an
active partion with True Image in anger? How did it go?

Thanks for the help by the way.

Colin
September 14, 2005 4:27:12 PM

>> I'll have to decide what I use now if I can't rely on the version of DI
that
> I have. The version of Ghost I have is pre the takeover of PQ. I find it
> very fussy. I had to help it find the driver for my LAN card to get it to
do
> a peer-peer restore.

No problem with Ghost if you use Ghost32.exe and boot from UBCD4WIN CD. Save
/ Restore images to any network share. No problem with network drivers
anymore.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
September 14, 2005 9:21:17 PM

"news.telenet.be" <Not@Valid.com> wrote in message news:zGUVe.193756$hW5.10617920@phobos.telenet-ops.be
> Hi Rod,
>
> Bingo... I gave up trying to restore a PQ Drive Image and had a go at
> restoring an image I'd made with Ghost. To my surprise that seems to
> have worked and my PC booted first attempt.

> No need to do a repair install etc So
> it looks like the problem was with DI -

Yeah, obviously can't be Roddles's answer. Afterall, Roddles is infallable.

> either the backup or restore process - probably the latter.

> That's a shame because I quite liked the way DI worked.

> It was easy to set and forget.

Ah, is that why you had to ask Roddles the question.

> I'll have to decide what I use now if I can't rely on the version of DI that
> I have. The version of Ghost I have is pre the takeover of PQ. I find it
> very fussy. I had to help it find the driver for my LAN card to get it to
> do a peer-peer restore.
>
> You mentioned you are using True Image now. Have you had to restore an
> active partion with True Image in anger? How did it go?
>
> Thanks for the help by the way.
>
> Colin
Anonymous
a b G Storage
September 15, 2005 8:25:28 AM

news.telenet.be <Not@Valid.com> wrote:

> Bingo... I gave up trying to restore a PQ Drive Image and had a go at
> restoring an image I'd made with Ghost. To my surprise that seems to
> have worked and my PC booted first attempt. No need to do a repair
> install etc So it looks like the problem was with DI - either the backup
> or restore process - probably the latter. That's a shame because I
> quite liked the way DI worked. It was easy to set and forget.

> I'll have to decide what I use now if I can't rely on the version of DI that I
> have.

It may have been updated, that was quite early in the life of that product
which was substantially different to the previous version of DI.

On the other hand I dont like what it turned into, Ghost 9, at all.

> The version of Ghost I have is pre the takeover of PQ. I find it very fussy.

Yeah, I never liked the user interface much at all compared with DI.

> I had to help it find the driver for my LAN
> card to get it to do a peer-peer restore.

Yeah, it was a real dog in that area, if the NIC wasnt natively
supported. Doable, but very fiddly. Easier to just use Bart's
network boot and run ghost after using that.

> You mentioned you are using True Image now. Have you
> had to restore an active partion with True Image in anger?

Yes, done quite a bit of that with the test machine which has
various canned OS configs that I restore when testing etc.

> How did it go?

Perfect. The only real quirk I have seen with TI is that the
rescue CDs can be a bit quirky with some builds not even
offering 'other computers near me' for the image files. No
big deal, I just use a build that shows that.

I dont do much exotic with external drives etc tho.

> Thanks for the help by the way.

No problem, thats what these technical groups are for, and so
others can research the problem using groups.google etc too.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
September 15, 2005 2:11:43 PM

"Folkert Rienstra" <see_reply-to@myweb.nl> wrote in message