Need help - USB Flashdrive cant be formatted anymore

Last response: in Storage
a b G Storage
September 12, 2005 12:49:05 AM

Guys,

I have s 256 MB Sharkoon flash USB stick ... it used to work well until
one time I unplugged it from 98SE while it was still writing ... ever
since it cant be accessed and also cant be formatted anymore... Tried
with XP as well .. no luck...

Is there anything that can be done to revive the thing? Or is that the
end ?

Matt
Anonymous
a b G Storage
September 14, 2005 6:15:56 AM

web1000@shaw.ca wrote:

> Guys,
>
> I have s 256 MB Sharkoon flash USB stick ... it used to work well until
> one time I unplugged it from 98SE while it was still writing ... ever
> since it cant be accessed and also cant be formatted anymore... Tried
> with XP as well .. no luck...
>
> Is there anything that can be done to revive the thing? Or is that the
> end ?
>
> Matt

Hello, Matt:

Your "Sharkoon" is toast, sorry to say. In the future, never unplug any
device, while it's busy.

Good luck!

Cordially,
John Turco <jtur@concentric.net>
Anonymous
a b G Storage
September 14, 2005 10:49:14 PM

agh :(

but how can it be totally destroyed ?

Matt
a b G Storage
September 15, 2005 6:06:37 AM

web1000@shaw.ca wrote:

> agh :(
>
> but how can it be totally destroyed ?
>
> Matt

Hello, Matt:

It's been rendered useless, because it's a sensitive, "solid state"
device -- and hence, rather susceptible to electrical damage. Such
dangers aren't limited to this type of hardware (i.e., solid state),
either.

Here's a simple rule of thumb: When in doubt, don't. Don't risk
ruining >any< component, that is, by plugging/unplugging it, unless
you're absolutely sure that it's safe to do so.

Lesson learned, my friend? :-P

Cordially,
John Turco <jtur@concentric.net>
Anonymous
a b G Storage
September 15, 2005 12:48:55 PM

Bullshit, USB devices simply do NOT self-destruct when hot-plugged.

First, wipe the disk with mbrwiz - mbr.bigr.net, then format again.

"John Turco" <jtur@concentric.net> wrote in message news:43291055.A2C229F6@concentric.net...
> web1000@shaw.ca wrote:
> >
> > but how can it be totally destroyed ?
> >
> It's been rendered useless, because it's a sensitive, "solid state"
> device -- and hence, rather susceptible to electrical damage. Such
> dangers aren't limited to this type of hardware (i.e., solid state),
> either.
>
> Here's a simple rule of thumb: When in doubt, don't. Don't risk
> ruining >any< component, that is, by plugging/unplugging it, unless
> you're absolutely sure that it's safe to do so.

Anonymous
a b G Storage
September 15, 2005 4:37:45 PM

this one was writing while something locked up and after 2h I had it
and unplugged it ..
Anonymous
a b G Storage
September 15, 2005 5:06:11 PM

If the device failed while accessing it, you will see an error in event viewer.
If so, I expect it did die, but unplugging it was not the cause.

<web1000@shaw.ca> wrote in message news:1126813065.888182.50640@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> this one was writing while something locked up and after 2h I had it
> and unplugged it ..

Anonymous
a b G Storage
September 15, 2005 10:48:29 PM

Eric Gisin wrote:

> Bullshit, USB devices simply do NOT self-destruct when hot-plugged.

If it's a Maxtor in a OneTouch case - I beg to differ.

Odie
--
Retrodata
www.retrodata.co.uk

Previously John Turco <jtur@concentric.net> wrote:
> web1000@shaw.ca wrote:
>>
>> Guys,
>>
>> I have s 256 MB Sharkoon flash USB stick ... it used to work well until
>> one time I unplugged it from 98SE while it was still writing ... ever
>> since it cant be accessed and also cant be formatted anymore... Tried
>> with XP as well .. no luck...
>>
>> Is there anything that can be done to revive the thing? Or is that the
>> end ?
>>
>> Matt

> Hello, Matt:

> Your "Sharkoon" is toast, sorry to say. In the future, never unplug any
> device, while it's busy.

Actually USB is designed for hot plug/unplug. Both electonically
and mechanically (the ground contacts make contact earlier on plugging
and stay connected longer on unplugging). Any electrical damage
resulting from hot (un-)plugging means the device is out of spec.

I guess this device is badly designed and you are right, however
stupid that is for an USB device.

Arno
Anonymous
a b G Storage
September 16, 2005 2:46:42 AM

Previously Odie Ferrous <odie_ferrous@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Eric Gisin wrote:
>>
>> Bullshit, USB devices simply do NOT self-destruct when hot-plugged.
>
> If it's a Maxtor in a OneTouch case - I beg to differ.

I would add that a cleanly designed USB-spec compatible USB device
does not suffer permanent damage on hot plugging/unplugging at any
time and in any operational state. Data may be destroyed to some
degree, as obviously a write back from a buffer or the like cannot
finish without power, but that shoul be it.

However with the amount of bad engineering out there today I
am not surprised that some devices can be damaged or destroyed
in this manner.

Arno
Anonymous
a b G Storage
September 16, 2005 2:47:36 AM

Previously web1000@shaw.ca wrote:
> this one was writing while something locked up and after 2h I had it
> and unplugged it ..

Interessting. So it may actually have died before and the unplugging
did not necessarily contribute.

Arno
Anonymous
a b G Storage
September 16, 2005 6:47:14 AM

Arno Wagner wrote:

> Previously John Turco <jtur@concentric.net> wrote:
> > web1000@shaw.ca wrote:
> >>
> >> Guys,
> >>
> >> I have s 256 MB Sharkoon flash USB stick ... it used to work well until
> >> one time I unplugged it from 98SE while it was still writing ... ever
> >> since it cant be accessed and also cant be formatted anymore... Tried
> >> with XP as well .. no luck...
> >>
> >> Is there anything that can be done to revive the thing? Or is that the
> >> end ?
> >>
> >> Matt
>
> > Hello, Matt:
>
> > Your "Sharkoon" is toast, sorry to say. In the future, never unplug any
> > device, while it's busy.
>
> Actually USB is designed for hot plug/unplug. Both electonically
> and mechanically (the ground contacts make contact earlier on plugging
> and stay connected longer on unplugging). Any electrical damage
> resulting from hot (un-)plugging means the device is out of spec.
>
> I guess this device is badly designed and you are right, however
> stupid that is for an USB device.
>
> Arno

Hello, Arno:

You're correct, too, of course. I only use CompactFlash cards,
personally, and they're definitely >not< supposed to be removed from
their "readers," unless they're idle. Matt has a "key drive" (also
known by various other names), which connects directly to the USB port,
itself.

Nonetheless, I still consider my general advice (concerning caution) to
be valid, despite Eric Gisin's rude comments, in another reply. <g>

Cordially,
John Turco <jtur@concentric.net>
Anonymous
a b G Storage
September 16, 2005 1:35:33 PM

web1000@shaw.ca wrote:

> this one was writing while something locked
> up and after 2h I had it and unplugged it ..

Bet it just died and the unplugging is completely irrelevant.
!