Need help - USB Flashdrive cant be formatted anymore

Guys,

I have s 256 MB Sharkoon flash USB stick ... it used to work well until
one time I unplugged it from 98SE while it was still writing ... ever
since it cant be accessed and also cant be formatted anymore... Tried
with XP as well .. no luck...

Is there anything that can be done to revive the thing? Or is that the
end ?

Matt
12 answers Last reply
More about need flashdrive formatted anymore

    web1000@shaw.ca wrote:

    > Guys,
    >
    > I have s 256 MB Sharkoon flash USB stick ... it used to work well until
    > one time I unplugged it from 98SE while it was still writing ... ever
    > since it cant be accessed and also cant be formatted anymore... Tried
    > with XP as well .. no luck...
    >
    > Is there anything that can be done to revive the thing? Or is that the
    > end ?
    >
    > Matt

    Hello, Matt:

    Your "Sharkoon" is toast, sorry to say. In the future, never unplug any
    device, while it's busy.

    Good luck!

    Cordially,
    John Turco <jtur@concentric.net>

    agh :(

    but how can it be totally destroyed ?

    Matt

    web1000@shaw.ca wrote:

    > agh :(
    >
    > but how can it be totally destroyed ?
    >
    > Matt

    Hello, Matt:

    It's been rendered useless, because it's a sensitive, "solid state"
    device -- and hence, rather susceptible to electrical damage. Such
    dangers aren't limited to this type of hardware (i.e., solid state),
    either.

    Here's a simple rule of thumb: When in doubt, don't. Don't risk
    ruining >any< component, that is, by plugging/unplugging it, unless
    you're absolutely sure that it's safe to do so.

    Lesson learned, my friend? :-P

    Cordially,
    John Turco <jtur@concentric.net>

    Bullshit, USB devices simply do NOT self-destruct when hot-plugged.

    First, wipe the disk with mbrwiz - mbr.bigr.net, then format again.

    "John Turco" <jtur@concentric.net> wrote in message news:43291055.A2C229F6@concentric.net...
    > web1000@shaw.ca wrote:
    > >
    > > but how can it be totally destroyed ?
    > >
    > It's been rendered useless, because it's a sensitive, "solid state"
    > device -- and hence, rather susceptible to electrical damage. Such
    > dangers aren't limited to this type of hardware (i.e., solid state),
    > either.
    >
    > Here's a simple rule of thumb: When in doubt, don't. Don't risk
    > ruining >any< component, that is, by plugging/unplugging it, unless
    > you're absolutely sure that it's safe to do so.

    this one was writing while something locked up and after 2h I had it
    and unplugged it ..

    If the device failed while accessing it, you will see an error in event viewer.
    If so, I expect it did die, but unplugging it was not the cause.

    Eric Gisin wrote:

    > Bullshit, USB devices simply do NOT self-destruct when hot-plugged.

    If it's a Maxtor in a OneTouch case - I beg to differ.

    Odie
    --
    Retrodata
    www.retrodata.co.uk

    Previously John Turco <jtur@concentric.net> wrote:
    > web1000@shaw.ca wrote:
    >>
    >> Guys,
    >>
    >> I have s 256 MB Sharkoon flash USB stick ... it used to work well until
    >> one time I unplugged it from 98SE while it was still writing ... ever
    >> since it cant be accessed and also cant be formatted anymore... Tried
    >> with XP as well .. no luck...
    >>
    >> Is there anything that can be done to revive the thing? Or is that the
    >> end ?
    >>
    >> Matt

    > Hello, Matt:

    > Your "Sharkoon" is toast, sorry to say. In the future, never unplug any
    > device, while it's busy.

    Actually USB is designed for hot plug/unplug. Both electonically
    and mechanically (the ground contacts make contact earlier on plugging
    and stay connected longer on unplugging). Any electrical damage
    resulting from hot (un-)plugging means the device is out of spec.

    I guess this device is badly designed and you are right, however
    stupid that is for an USB device.

    Arno

    Previously Odie Ferrous <odie_ferrous@hotmail.com> wrote:
    > Eric Gisin wrote:
    >>
    >> Bullshit, USB devices simply do NOT self-destruct when hot-plugged.
    >
    > If it's a Maxtor in a OneTouch case - I beg to differ.

    I would add that a cleanly designed USB-spec compatible USB device
    does not suffer permanent damage on hot plugging/unplugging at any
    time and in any operational state. Data may be destroyed to some
    degree, as obviously a write back from a buffer or the like cannot
    finish without power, but that shoul be it.

    However with the amount of bad engineering out there today I
    am not surprised that some devices can be damaged or destroyed
    in this manner.

    Arno

    Previously web1000@shaw.ca wrote:
    > this one was writing while something locked up and after 2h I had it
    > and unplugged it ..

    Interessting. So it may actually have died before and the unplugging
    did not necessarily contribute.

    Arno

    Arno Wagner wrote:

    > Previously John Turco <jtur@concentric.net> wrote:
    > > web1000@shaw.ca wrote:
    > >>
    > >> Guys,
    > >>
    > >> I have s 256 MB Sharkoon flash USB stick ... it used to work well until
    > >> one time I unplugged it from 98SE while it was still writing ... ever
    > >> since it cant be accessed and also cant be formatted anymore... Tried
    > >> with XP as well .. no luck...
    > >>
    > >> Is there anything that can be done to revive the thing? Or is that the
    > >> end ?
    > >>
    > >> Matt
    >
    > > Hello, Matt:
    >
    > > Your "Sharkoon" is toast, sorry to say. In the future, never unplug any
    > > device, while it's busy.
    >
    > Actually USB is designed for hot plug/unplug. Both electonically
    > and mechanically (the ground contacts make contact earlier on plugging
    > and stay connected longer on unplugging). Any electrical damage
    > resulting from hot (un-)plugging means the device is out of spec.
    >
    > I guess this device is badly designed and you are right, however
    > stupid that is for an USB device.
    >
    > Arno

    Hello, Arno:

    You're correct, too, of course. I only use CompactFlash cards,
    personally, and they're definitely >not< supposed to be removed from
    their "readers," unless they're idle. Matt has a "key drive" (also
    known by various other names), which connects directly to the USB port,
    itself.

    Nonetheless, I still consider my general advice (concerning caution) to
    be valid, despite Eric Gisin's rude comments, in another reply. <g>

    web1000@shaw.ca wrote:

    > this one was writing while something locked
    > up and after 2h I had it and unplugged it ..

    Bet it just died and the unplugging is completely irrelevant.

Flash Drive Storage