Seagate, WD backup utilities faulty?

Are the disk backup utilities written by OnTrack and included with
Seagate and WD drives reliable?

Original drive: ATA/100 120GB WD or Seagate
Destination drive: ATA/100 120GB WD or 160GB Seagate

Each drive set to Cable Select, separate cable for each drive.

Mobo: ECS K7S5A Pro w/ Athlon XP1800+ or Soyo 440BX w/ 300 MHz Celeron

HD controller: Built into mobo (for K7S5A Pro) or PCI card (Promise,
Silicon Image)

I booted to the WD or Seagate CD-ROM and used their partition copy
utilities, but every time I tried to copy the boot sector, problems
were reported with the same three files (files corrupt after the first
25-50% -- always the same way, but file sizes correct). Scandisk and
surface scans of the source drives showed no errors. Different
combinations of the motherboard and PCI HD controllers were tried. I
made an image copy of the source with Norton Ghost 2001, but the same
errors occurred with the WD and Seagate copy utilities. The results
didn't change when I tried the Windows versions of the Seagate and WD
copy utilities

Another oddity I noticed was that the partition was copied very slowly,
less than 300 Mbytes/minute. Norton Ghost was much faster, and even
with the 300 MHz 440BX mobo it reported 850MB/min
(clock time seemed to agree with this).
1 answer Last reply
More about seagate backup utilities faulty

    larry moe 'n curly wrote:
    > Are the disk backup utilities written by OnTrack and included with
    > Seagate and WD drives reliable?
    >
    > Original drive: ATA/100 120GB WD or Seagate
    > Destination drive: ATA/100 120GB WD or 160GB Seagate
    >
    > Each drive set to Cable Select, separate cable for each drive.
    >
    > Mobo: ECS K7S5A Pro w/ Athlon XP1800+ or Soyo 440BX w/ 300 MHz Celeron
    >
    > HD controller: Built into mobo (for K7S5A Pro) or PCI card (Promise,
    > Silicon Image)
    >
    > I booted to the WD or Seagate CD-ROM and used their partition copy
    > utilities, but every time I tried to copy the boot sector, problems
    > were reported with the same three files (files corrupt after the first
    > 25-50% -- always the same way, but file sizes correct). Scandisk and
    > surface scans of the source drives showed no errors. Different
    > combinations of the motherboard and PCI HD controllers were tried. I
    > made an image copy of the source with Norton Ghost 2001, but the same
    > errors occurred with the WD and Seagate copy utilities. The results
    > didn't change when I tried the Windows versions of the Seagate and WD
    > copy utilities
    >
    > Another oddity I noticed was that the partition was copied very slowly,
    > less than 300 Mbytes/minute. Norton Ghost was much faster, and even
    > with the 300 MHz 440BX mobo it reported 850MB/min
    > (clock time seemed to agree with this).

    Hello, Larry.
    I don't know what's the cause of your problem, as I've never had such
    problem. Because for backup I always use good tested Acrons True image
    [http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/].
    It works even 3 times faster than Ghost. True Image has very
    good-looking intuitive windows wizard, that makes utilization
    convenient.
    It saved me thousand times: when I need immediately restore system,
    which was crashed by accident.
    So to my experiance it's the most reliable sofrware.

Western Digital Seagate Storage