External USB vs External SATA question

Last response: in Storage
a b G Storage
September 17, 2005 12:56:14 AM

I am one of those unfortunates to have a Dell Optiplex GX270, small
form factor. That last bit means I need low profile cards. I have an
open internal SATA port, but no room inside for another hard drive. So
I see that I have two options. The first is to have an external USB 2
drive. The second is to get a low profile SATA bracket to connect my
internal SATA to an external drive. Actually, I suppose I can get a
low profile SATA PCI card, so I have three options. The external drive
will be my back up drive.

Given that I have a bunch of questions, and thanks again in advance.
How much of a performance difference should I expect between an
external USB 2 and a SATA 100? If the SATA is much faster does anyone
know of a low profile SATA bracket? I have not been able to find one.
If not, would I have a chance in buying, say this one
http://www.cwol.com/serial-ata/sata-internal-external-a..., and
cutting/bending the bracket to fit?

If the performance difference is not that large, does it matter what
drive I put in the external USB 2 or is USB the limiting factor?
(Actually, just asking that tells me that USB will be much slower.)

The USB solution is clearly simpler and cheaper. I don't see a big
problem with running the backup every night, but I don't want to make
limiting choice now that I will regret in the future.

Again, TIA.

--
Matt Silberstein

Do something today about the Darfur Genocide

Genocide is news | Be A Witness
http://www.beawitness.org

"Darfur: A Genocide We can Stop"
www.darfurgenocide.org

Save Darfur.org :: Violence and Suffering in Sudan's Darfur Region
http://www.savedarfur.org/
Anonymous
a b G Storage
September 17, 2005 1:34:46 PM

Matt Silberstein <RemoveThisPrefixmatts2nospam@ix.netcom.com> wrote

> I am one of those unfortunates to have a Dell Optiplex GX270, small
> form factor. That last bit means I need low profile cards. I have an
> open internal SATA port, but no room inside for another hard drive.
> So I see that I have two options. The first is to have an external USB 2
> drive. The second is to get a low profile SATA bracket to connect my
> internal SATA to an external drive. Actually, I suppose I can get a
> low profile SATA PCI card, so I have three options. The external drive
> will be my back up drive.

> Given that I have a bunch of questions, and thanks again
> in advance. How much of a performance difference should
> I expect between an external USB 2 and a SATA 100?

It isnt huge, you probably couldnt pick it unless you time
how long a backup takes, and maybe not even then.

> If the SATA is much faster does anyone know of a low
> profile SATA bracket? I have not been able to find one.
> If not, would I have a chance in buying, say this one
> http://www.cwol.com/serial-ata/sata-internal-external-a...,
> and cutting/bending the bracket to fit?

Hard to say when we dont know what your metalwork skills are like.

It might be easier to get a low profile bracket of something
else like a video card and just change the bracket.

> If the performance difference is not that large, does it matter what
> drive I put in the external USB 2 or is USB the limiting factor?

Yes, the USB is the limiting factor. The main considerations
with the drive is that lower power is better because the USB
housings arent always that great for cooling.

> (Actually, just asking that tells me that USB will be much slower.)

It isnt actually.

> The USB solution is clearly simpler and cheaper. I don't see
> a big problem with running the backup every night, but I don't
> want to make limiting choice now that I will regret in the future.

Most with USBs dont regret them.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
September 17, 2005 1:34:47 PM

On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 09:34:46 +1000, in
comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage , "Rod Speed" <rod_speed@yahoo.com>
in <3p134oF86rrjU1@individual.net> wrote:

>Matt Silberstein <RemoveThisPrefixmatts2nospam@ix.netcom.com> wrote
>
>> I am one of those unfortunates to have a Dell Optiplex GX270, small
>> form factor. That last bit means I need low profile cards. I have an
>> open internal SATA port, but no room inside for another hard drive.
>> So I see that I have two options. The first is to have an external USB 2
>> drive. The second is to get a low profile SATA bracket to connect my
>> internal SATA to an external drive. Actually, I suppose I can get a
>> low profile SATA PCI card, so I have three options. The external drive
>> will be my back up drive.
>
>> Given that I have a bunch of questions, and thanks again
>> in advance. How much of a performance difference should
>> I expect between an external USB 2 and a SATA 100?
>
>It isnt huge, you probably couldnt pick it unless you time
>how long a backup takes, and maybe not even then.
>
>> If the SATA is much faster does anyone know of a low
>> profile SATA bracket? I have not been able to find one.
>> If not, would I have a chance in buying, say this one
>> http://www.cwol.com/serial-ata/sata-internal-external-a...,
>> and cutting/bending the bracket to fit?
>
>Hard to say when we dont know what your metalwork skills are like.

So so. It would not require heating and if the goal is just to make it
shorter and not shake I could probably do that.

>It might be easier to get a low profile bracket of something
>else like a video card and just change the bracket.
>
>> If the performance difference is not that large, does it matter what
>> drive I put in the external USB 2 or is USB the limiting factor?
>
>Yes, the USB is the limiting factor. The main considerations
>with the drive is that lower power is better because the USB
>housings arent always that great for cooling.
>
>> (Actually, just asking that tells me that USB will be much slower.)
>
>It isnt actually.
>
>> The USB solution is clearly simpler and cheaper. I don't see
>> a big problem with running the backup every night, but I don't
>> want to make limiting choice now that I will regret in the future.
>
>Most with USBs dont regret them.

Seems like USB is the way to go then. It is cheaper and simpler and
that is not a bad result.

--
Matt Silberstein

Do something today about the Darfur Genocide

Genocide is news | Be A Witness
http://www.beawitness.org

"Darfur: A Genocide We can Stop"
www.darfurgenocide.org

Save Darfur.org :: Violence and Suffering in Sudan's Darfur Region
http://www.savedarfur.org/
Anonymous
a b G Storage
September 17, 2005 4:41:26 PM

Matt Silberstein <RemoveThisPrefixmatts2nospam@ix.netcom.com> wrote
> Rod Speed rod_speed@yahoo.com wrote
>> Matt Silberstein <RemoveThisPrefixmatts2nospam@ix.netcom.com> wrote

>>> I am one of those unfortunates to have a Dell Optiplex GX270, small
>>> form factor. That last bit means I need low profile cards. I have an
>>> open internal SATA port, but no room inside for another hard drive.
>>> So I see that I have two options. The first is to have an external
>>> USB 2 drive. The second is to get a low profile SATA bracket to
>>> connect my internal SATA to an external drive. Actually, I suppose
>>> I can get a low profile SATA PCI card, so I have three options.
>>> The external drive will be my back up drive.

>>> Given that I have a bunch of questions, and thanks again
>>> in advance. How much of a performance difference should
>>> I expect between an external USB 2 and a SATA 100?

>> It isnt huge, you probably couldnt pick it unless you time
>> how long a backup takes, and maybe not even then.

>>> If the SATA is much faster does anyone know of a low
>>> profile SATA bracket? I have not been able to find one.
>>> If not, would I have a chance in buying, say this one
>>> http://www.cwol.com/serial-ata/sata-internal-external-a...,
>>> and cutting/bending the bracket to fit?

>> Hard to say when we dont know what your metalwork skills are like.

> So so. It would not require heating and if the goal is just
> to make it shorter and not shake I could probably do that.

Its not too clear if that would work from the pic, whether the
connector would end up too close to the end if just shortened.
Looks like it might.

It wouldnt be too hard to start with another low profile bracket
that doesnt have the hole in it, and make the same hole in that.

>> It might be easier to get a low profile bracket of something
>> else like a video card and just change the bracket.
>>
>>> If the performance difference is not that large, does it matter what
>>> drive I put in the external USB 2 or is USB the limiting factor?
>>
>> Yes, the USB is the limiting factor. The main considerations
>> with the drive is that lower power is better because the USB
>> housings arent always that great for cooling.
>>
>>> (Actually, just asking that tells me that USB will be much slower.)
>>
>> It isnt actually.
>>
>>> The USB solution is clearly simpler and cheaper. I don't see
>>> a big problem with running the backup every night, but I don't
>>> want to make limiting choice now that I will regret in the future.
>>
>> Most with USBs dont regret them.

> Seems like USB is the way to go then. It is
> cheaper and simpler and that is not a bad result.

Yeah, tho SATA is a bit simpler for other stuff
like booting off it etc if you ever need to.