maxtor one touch and windows 2003 enterprise server

Last response: in Storage
Share
September 18, 2005 9:03:41 PM

I plug in the device and see that it shows up in
system>hardware>devices>usb , but it's not assigned a drive letter nor
does it show up in my computer folder ?? Other usb drives do show up
when plugged into the same usb port.

The device works great under XP, windows 2000 server and from a ghost
pc-dos boot.

I'm running the base install of windows 2003 Enterprise with no
patches. Will a Windows update/SP fix this?

Thanks for any help or information.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
September 19, 2005 3:30:08 PM

jason@cyberpine.com wrote:

> I plug in the device and see that it shows up in
> system>hardware>devices>usb , but it's not assigned a
> drive letter nor does it show up in my computer folder ??

That last stuff only happens once its been partitioned and formatted.

> Other usb drives do show up when plugged into the same usb port.

Because they have been partitioned and formatted.

> The device works great under XP, windows
> 2000 server and from a ghost pc-dos boot.

> I'm running the base install of windows 2003 Enterprise
> with no patches. Will a Windows update/SP fix this?

Nope, you need to partition and format the drive using Disk Management.

> Thanks for any help or information.
September 19, 2005 9:22:54 PM

The USB drive was formatted a long time ago - I think in FAT32. I've
since been able to see it and use it on new windows 2000 installs on
over 5 different machine.

I don't even see the drive to be able to partition it - even if I
wanted to - on windows 2003.

BTW, The drive has a button on the front, when connected to the 2003
machine and I press the button, windows 2003 does respond by saying I
need to associate the button to a function (or something to the effect)
- just to conclude there some acknoledgement that the drive is connected
Related resources
September 20, 2005 3:30:48 AM

> I plug in the device and see that it shows up in
> system>hardware>devices>usb , but it's not assigned a drive letter nor
> does it show up in my computer folder ?? Other usb drives do show up
> when plugged into the same usb port.
>
> The device works great under XP, windows 2000 server and from a ghost
> pc-dos boot.
>
> I'm running the base install of windows 2003 Enterprise with no
> patches. Will a Windows update/SP fix this?
>
> Thanks for any help or information.

Does this external HD show in Device Manager>Disk drives, as Maxtor One
Touch USB Device?
If it does, you should be able to see it also in Disk Management as unnamed
volume. Just right click on that volume and select "Change Drive Letter and
Paths...". You should be able to go from there....
BTW, If it were formatted as NTFS, you could also "Mount in the following
empty NTFS folder:". That's what I normally do. No more problems with
additional Drive Letters for externally attached drives....
September 20, 2005 10:33:22 AM

It does not show up in Device Manager, but does show up under USB as a
One Touch.

I think I originally formated as FAT32 so that I could see it after a
Ghost PC-DOS boot - which is critical since I keep all my OS drive
images on there.

I have no problem seeing the drive on Windows 2000 server installs, but
do have an issue trying to boot the boxes with the device attached.

On a related topic - One thing I've been wanting do is figure out how
to boot from a USB drive - which i hear may not be possible and if so,
might require special BIOS changes - anyways, I still can't see this
drive under my windows 2003 Enterprise install.

Thanks for responses.

Peter wrote:
> Does this external HD show in Device Manager>Disk drives, as Maxtor One
> Touch USB Device?
> If it does, you should be able to see it also in Disk Management as unnamed
> volume. Just right click on that volume and select "Change Drive Letter and
> Paths...". You should be able to go from there....
> BTW, If it were formatted as NTFS, you could also "Mount in the following
> empty NTFS folder:". That's what I normally do. No more problems with
> additional Drive Letters for externally attached drives....
September 20, 2005 1:42:41 PM

> It does not show up in Device Manager, but does show up under USB as a
> One Touch.
>
> I think I originally formated as FAT32 so that I could see it after a
> Ghost PC-DOS boot - which is critical since I keep all my OS drive
> images on there.
>
> I have no problem seeing the drive on Windows 2000 server installs, but
> do have an issue trying to boot the boxes with the device attached.
>
> On a related topic - One thing I've been wanting do is figure out how
> to boot from a USB drive - which i hear may not be possible and if so,
> might require special BIOS changes - anyways, I still can't see this
> drive under my windows 2003 Enterprise install.

What motherboard/USB do you have on your Windows 2003 Enterprise?
What "Universal Serial Bus controllers" show up in Device Manager?
Did you try to install any Maxtor software in that system?

Did you try to plug in an USB Memory Key to see if it works?
Anonymous
a b G Storage
April 23, 2010 6:47:59 PM

Peter..
Your trick of disk management and assign letter and paths worked like a charm.. thanks.
!