Best HD setup for High Definition Video encoding >>????

I asume some sort of raid. Dont want to go overboard just want to use
the 2 drives and maybe 80 gigs each. 2 7200 Sata 2 drives would be
nice.

What sort of encrease in encoding speed should i expect if any. iam
going to add an Amd X2 3800 dual core cpu in as well.

Thanks.

/ps Maybe Dual Raided Raptors would be better. If i set them up would
they need to be the primary drives on the system or could they be used
as a raid as the secondary drives. And have a single drive for OS for
saftey. And would i still egt the raid speed ect ???

Thanks.

Previously No One Realy <1@2.com.au> wrote:

> I asume some sort of raid. Dont want to go overboard just want to use
> the 2 drives and maybe 80 gigs each. 2 7200 Sata 2 drives would be
> nice.

> What sort of encrease in encoding speed should i expect if any.

Unless you have parallelised encoding software, probably none at all.
Encoding is a linear task (with regard to disk access). Most modern
disks should be fast enough.

> iam
> going to add an Amd X2 3800 dual core cpu in as well.

Same as above. Unless you encode pretty low quality, I expect
your bottleneck will be the CPU. Video-editing is something
different. For that you want lots of space and low-latency drives,
i.e. high RPM. Unraided may also be faster than raided.

I would advise that you get the system, but with just one disk at the
moment and then do some benchmarking. If you get significantly
less than 100% CPU use during encoding, optimising the disks
may help. Otherwise it will not.

Also if your encoding software does not support dual-CPUs
(dual core is pretty much the same as dual CPU to software),
get the fastest single-core you can afford instead of the dual
core.

Arno