Loss of Sound-Recording Capability

Tags:
Last response: in Storage
Share
September 19, 2005 7:39:09 PM

To All Cognoscenti, Greetings!

The motherboard of my computer has been changed to a K7S741MG/K7S741GXMG. As
a result (I suspect) the sound-recording capability has been lost. The
microphone produces feedback and normal sound through the speakers, but
using the Sound Recorder supplied with Windows XP Prof. or another sound
recording program fails to record sound. Reinstalling Windows has not
helped. Any ideas what might cause this?

Andy
Anonymous
a b G Storage
September 19, 2005 7:39:10 PM

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 15:39:09 GMT, "Andy" <kanadaiy@telus.net> wrote:

>To All Cognoscenti, Greetings!
>
>The motherboard of my computer has been changed to a K7S741MG/K7S741GXMG. As
>a result (I suspect) the sound-recording capability has been lost. The
>microphone produces feedback and normal sound through the speakers, but
>using the Sound Recorder supplied with Windows XP Prof. or another sound
>recording program fails to record sound. Reinstalling Windows has not
>helped. Any ideas what might cause this?

I don't know what this has to do with storage, but did you check to see
what device is being used for Sound Recording? (Control Panel > Sound and
Audio Devices > Audio > Sound Recording.)
--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

"Michael Cecil" <macecil@comcast.net> wrote in message
> On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 15:39:09 GMT, "Andy" <kanadaiy@telus.net> wrote:
>
>>To All Cognoscenti, Greetings!
>>
>>The motherboard of my computer has been changed to a K7S741MG/K7S741GXMG.
>>As
>>a result (I suspect) the sound-recording capability has been lost. The
>>microphone produces feedback and normal sound through the speakers, but
>>using the Sound Recorder supplied with Windows XP Prof. or another sound
>>recording program fails to record sound. Reinstalling Windows has not
>>helped. Any ideas what might cause this?
>
> I don't know what this has to do with storage, but did you check to see
> what device is being used for Sound Recording? (Control Panel > Sound and
> Audio Devices > Audio > Sound Recording.)
> --

Yep, it's SB Audigy Audio.

> Michael Cecil
> http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
> http://home.comcast.net/~safehex/
Anonymous
a b G Storage
September 20, 2005 7:46:24 AM

Andy <kanadaiy@telus.net> wrote:

> The motherboard of my computer has been changed to a
> K7S741MG/K7S741GXMG. As a result (I suspect) the sound-recording
> capability has been lost. The microphone produces feedback and normal
> sound through the speakers, but using the Sound Recorder supplied
> with Windows XP Prof. or another sound recording program fails to
> record sound. Reinstalling Windows has not helped. Any ideas what
> might cause this?

The mic can be muted in the mixer. You've likely got a different
mixer now if you installed from the CD that comes with the
motherboard, and if you didnt install that, try installing it.

The sound setup can be a bit complex now, there are settings in
the sound system in the control panel individually for the input and
output sides. Does the sound recorder record from any other source ?
September 20, 2005 7:46:25 AM

> Andy <kanadaiy@telus.net> wrote:
>
>> The motherboard of my computer has been changed to a
>> K7S741MG/K7S741GXMG. As a result (I suspect) the sound-recording
>> capability has been lost. The microphone produces feedback and normal
>> sound through the speakers, but using the Sound Recorder supplied
>> with Windows XP Prof. or another sound recording program fails to
>> record sound. Reinstalling Windows has not helped. Any ideas what
>> might cause this?
>
> The mic can be muted in the mixer. You've likely got a different
> mixer now if you installed from the CD that comes with the
> motherboard, and if you didnt install that, try installing it.
>
> The sound setup can be a bit complex now, there are settings in
> the sound system in the control panel individually for the input and
> output sides. Does the sound recorder record from any other source ?

I don't know how to test recording from any other source. Will you teach me?
:-(

I've tested the sound recording using the Sound Hardware Test Wizard and got
"An error occurred during DirectPlay Voice setup. The error code is
0x80004005," whatever that means. Further investigation of the Device
Manager revealed that the Realtek AC'97 Audio is disabled. This was done by
a technician due to a conflict between the digital outputs by the onboard
sound and the SoundBlaster sound that resulted in no sound at all. Enabling
it does not restore the sound recording ability, and it makes the sound
entirely disappear. The voice recording audio recording device is SB Audigy
Audio. Does this help you with your diagnosis?

Andy
Anonymous
a b G Storage
September 20, 2005 6:11:37 PM

Andy <kanadaiy@telus.net> wrote
> Rod Speed <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote
>> Andy <kanadaiy@telus.net> wrote

>>> The motherboard of my computer has been changed to a
>>> K7S741MG/K7S741GXMG. As a result (I suspect) the sound-recording
>>> capability has been lost. The microphone produces feedback and
>>> normal sound through the speakers, but using the Sound Recorder
>>> supplied with Windows XP Prof. or another sound recording program
>>> fails to record sound. Reinstalling Windows has not helped. Any
>>> ideas what might cause this?

>> The mic can be muted in the mixer. You've likely got a different
>> mixer now if you installed from the CD that comes with the
>> motherboard, and if you didnt install that, try installing it.

>> The sound setup can be a bit complex now, there are settings in
>> the sound system in the control panel individually for the input and
>> output sides. Does the sound recorder record from any other source ?

> I don't know how to test recording from any other source. Will you
> teach me? :-(

Just get it to record a wav file being played. You
select what is recorded in the recording mixer.

> I've tested the sound recording using the Sound Hardware Test Wizard
> and got "An error occurred during DirectPlay Voice setup. The error
> code is 0x80004005," whatever that means. Further investigation of
> the Device Manager revealed that the Realtek AC'97 Audio is disabled.
> This was done by a technician due to a conflict between the digital
> outputs by the onboard sound and the SoundBlaster sound that resulted
> in no sound at all. Enabling it does not restore the sound recording
> ability, and it makes the sound entirely disappear. The voice
> recording audio recording device is SB Audigy Audio. Does this help
> you with your diagnosis?

Likely you have a considerable mess because you are trying to
use both a sound card and the motherboard onboard sound.

You sure you're actually plugging the mic into the Audigy mic socket ?

If you are, you may not have the mixer for the Audigy
properly installed and its got the mic muted when recording.

Werent you the one that had asked previously about sound cards ?
September 22, 2005 3:01:27 AM

To All Yea Helpful Souls,

The Advanced Controls for the Microphone has a +20 db boost option that I
had enabled. It caused no problems with the old motherboard. When the tech
disabled it, the recording capability got miraculously restored.
Counterintuitive, but it worked.

Thanks to all those who took the time to help me.

Andy

"Andy" <kanadaiy@telus.net> wrote in message
> To All Cognoscenti, Greetings!
>
> The motherboard of my computer has been changed to a K7S741MG/K7S741GXMG.
> As a result (I suspect) the sound-recording capability has been lost. The
> microphone produces feedback and normal sound through the speakers, but
> using the Sound Recorder supplied with Windows XP Prof. or another sound
> recording program fails to record sound. Reinstalling Windows has not
> helped. Any ideas what might cause this?
>
> Andy

Anonymous
a b G Storage
September 22, 2005 1:21:22 PM

Andy <kanadaiy@telus.net> wrote:
> To All Yea Helpful Souls,
>
> The Advanced Controls for the Microphone has a +20 db boost option
> that I had enabled. It caused no problems with the old motherboard.
> When the tech disabled it, the recording capability got miraculously
> restored. Counterintuitive, but it worked.

> Thanks to all those who took the time to help me.

Thanks for the feedback on the washup.

!