How to make Windows quit detecting a nonexistent RAID card?

Archived from groups: alt.windows98,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

I have a mobo based on the VIA KT-400 chipset, and every time I boot
into Win98SE it sees a PCI RAID controller card and tries to install
it. The only problem is that the only HD controller ever used in the
mobo was removed weeks ago (driver software uninstalled at the time),
and it didn't support RAID (Promise Ultra 100).

Uninstalling/reinstalling the VIA 4-in-1 drivers or even reinstalling
Win98SE doesn't help, and the problem isn't simply cosmetic because
disk I/O is more sluggish than with my other computers, including a 450
MHz machine.

The same thing once happened to me several months ago with a different
mobo based in the SiS 735 chipset with a Silicon Image 680 HD
controller, but I don't remember how I solved it.

jad

Archived from groups: alt.windows98,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

what mainboard is this? After reinstalling and formatting, 98 still sees a
piece of hardware that isn't physically attached, is next to impossible. The
chipset has to be telling windows one exists. there is no integrated
controller on the board?

"larry moe 'n curly" <larrymoencurly@my-deja.com> wrote in message
> I have a mobo based on the VIA KT-400 chipset, and every time I boot
> into Win98SE it sees a PCI RAID controller card and tries to install
> it. The only problem is that the only HD controller ever used in the
> mobo was removed weeks ago (driver software uninstalled at the time),
> and it didn't support RAID (Promise Ultra 100).
>
> Uninstalling/reinstalling the VIA 4-in-1 drivers or even reinstalling
> Win98SE doesn't help, and the problem isn't simply cosmetic because
> disk I/O is more sluggish than with my other computers, including a 450
> MHz machine.
>
> The same thing once happened to me several months ago with a different
> mobo based in the SiS 735 chipset with a Silicon Image 680 HD
> controller, but I don't remember how I solved it.

Archived from groups: alt.windows98,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

"larry moe 'n curly" <larrymoencurly@my-deja.com> wrote in message
>I have a mobo based on the VIA KT-400 chipset, and every time I boot
> into Win98SE it sees a PCI RAID controller card and tries to install
> it. The only problem is that the only HD controller ever used in the
> mobo was removed weeks ago (driver software uninstalled at the time),
> and it didn't support RAID (Promise Ultra 100).
>
> Uninstalling/reinstalling the VIA 4-in-1 drivers or even reinstalling
> Win98SE doesn't help, and the problem isn't simply cosmetic because
> disk I/O is more sluggish than with my other computers, including a 450
> MHz machine.
>
> The same thing once happened to me several months ago with a different
> mobo based in the SiS 735 chipset with a Silicon Image 680 HD
> controller, but I don't remember how I solved it.

Can it not be uninstalled via Device Manager? s

larry moe 'n curly wrote:
> I have a mobo based on the VIA KT-400 chipset, and every time I boot
> into Win98SE it sees a PCI RAID controller card and tries to install
> it. The only problem is that the only HD controller ever used in the
> mobo was removed weeks ago (driver software uninstalled at the time),
> and it didn't support RAID (Promise Ultra 100).

Does the motherboard have a RAID controller built in that is still
switched on in BIOS?

http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/

spodosaurus wrote:

> Does the motherboard have a RAID controller built in that is still
> switched on in BIOS?

No RAID controller on the mobo. It's an ASRock K7VT4A Pro (VIA KT-400
chipset).

sdlomi2 wrote:

> Can it not be uninstalled via Device Manager?

I tried that, even in Safe Mode, but Windows looks for it again at
every boot, and it ends up listed with a yellow "!" next to it.

JAD wrote:
> what mainboard is this? After reinstalling and formatting, 98 still sees a
> piece of hardware that isn't physically attached, is next to impossible. The
> chipset has to be telling windows one exists. there is no integrated
> controller on the board?

ASRock K7VT4A Pro (VIA KT-400 chipset).

The problem is definitely Win98SE or a driver program because I did an
almost completely clean installation of Win98SE Upgrade to another
drive that had nothing on it except the DOS boot and Win 3.1 files, and
the nonexistent RAID card isn't detected. But I still want to know
what went wrong so I can fix it easily if it happens again in the
future.

On 21 Sep 2005 00:22:01 -0700, "larry moe 'n curly"
<larrymoencurly@my-deja.com> wrote:

>JAD wrote:
>> what mainboard is this? After reinstalling and formatting, 98 still sees a
>> piece of hardware that isn't physically attached, is next to impossible. The
>> chipset has to be telling windows one exists. there is no integrated
>> controller on the board?
>
>ASRock K7VT4A Pro (VIA KT-400 chipset).
>
>The problem is definitely Win98SE or a driver program because I did an
>almost completely clean installation of Win98SE Upgrade to another
>drive that had nothing on it except the DOS boot and Win 3.1 files, and
>the nonexistent RAID card isn't detected. But I still want to know
>what went wrong so I can fix it easily if it happens again in the
>future.

Why not do a search through the \windows\inf folder for an inf file with
references to the specific RAID card, then delete it?
--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

Michael Cecil wrote:

> Why not do a search through the \windows\inf folder for an inf file with
> references to the specific RAID card, then delete it?

I did that for the Promise drivers and the VIA drivers but don't know
what else to look for.

Folkert Rienstra wrote:

> "Michael Cecil" <macecil@comcast.net> wrote in message news:mo52j11ul8ibvv8pqdfqj65lkmpqp4o6mj@4ax.com...

> > Why not do a search through the \windows\inf folder for an inf file with
> > references to the specific RAID card, then delete it?

> And then remove the references to that from the registry

I tried doing that but must have missed some. I also ran REGEDIT in
DOS mode to have it rebuild the registry from scratch.

"Michael Cecil" <macecil@comcast.net> wrote in message news:mo52j11ul8ibvv8pqdfqj65lkmpqp4o6mj@4ax.com...
> On 21 Sep 2005 00:22:01 -0700, "larry moe 'n curly" <larrymoencurly@my-deja.com> wrote:
>

> > JAD wrote:
> > > what mainboard is this? After reinstalling and formatting, 98 still sees a
> > > piece of hardware that isn't physically attached, is next to impossible. The
> > > chipset has to be telling windows one exists. there is no integrated
> > > controller on the board?
> >
> > ASRock K7VT4A Pro (VIA KT-400 chipset).
> >
> > The problem is definitely Win98SE or a driver program because I did an
> > almost completely clean installation of Win98SE Upgrade to another
> > drive that had nothing on it except the DOS boot and Win 3.1 files, and
> > the nonexistent RAID card isn't detected. But I still want to know
> > what went wrong so I can fix it easily if it happens again in the
> > future.
>
> Why not do a search through the \windows\inf folder for an inf file with
> references to the specific RAID card, then delete it?

And then remove the references to that from the registry

> --
> Michael Cecil
> http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
> http://home.comcast.net/~safehex/

clemenzina

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2008
I've been driven mad by this problem for several months and I found this thread via Google. As there was no answer here I decided to delve into CMOS again and have another look, and EUREKA :

Epox K8M800 Socket 754 mobo:

Integrated Peripherals >

Via OnChip IDE device >

OnChip SATA = Enabled ... DISABLE IT!

Problem solved :) Hope this helps fellow Googlers ;)

But I'd hoped that the RAID problem was what was preventing my trusty US Robotics external fax modem from being detected... no such luck :(

clemenzina

TRENDING THREADS