Can I add another HD?

In anticipation of running out of HD space some day, a month or two
ago I bought a new 200GB HD, a DiamondMax 10, Model 6L200P0. I'm now
getting serious about installing it. I currently have 2 identical 60GB
Maxtor HDs. I also have two CD/DVD drives. My motherboard on this
3-year old PC is an ASUS A7A266-E, and in its manual I read (but
barely comprehend) the following:
"IDE Connectors
Dual channel bus master IDE connectors support up to four Ultra DMA
133/100/166, PIO Modes £ & 4 IDE devices."

So, in simple terms, does that mean that there's *definitely* no way I
can ADD this as a 3rd HD (i.e. a 5th 'drive')?

I bought it expecting that I'd have to sacrifice one of the 60GB
drives, gaining a net 140GB. But it would be great if there was some
clever way to simply add it. (There is physical space on the panel.)

Once I rule that out, I'll start to get my mind around how to
implement the change with minimum disruption. Hopefully I can get some
help on that here please!

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

cjt

Terry Pinnell wrote:

> In anticipation of running out of HD space some day, a month or two
> ago I bought a new 200GB HD, a DiamondMax 10, Model 6L200P0. I'm now
> getting serious about installing it. I currently have 2 identical 60GB
> Maxtor HDs. I also have two CD/DVD drives. My motherboard on this
> 3-year old PC is an ASUS A7A266-E, and in its manual I read (but
> barely comprehend) the following:
> "IDE Connectors
> Dual channel bus master IDE connectors support up to four Ultra DMA
> 133/100/166, PIO Modes £ & 4 IDE devices."
>
> So, in simple terms, does that mean that there's *definitely* no way I
> can ADD this as a 3rd HD (i.e. a 5th 'drive')?
>
> I bought it expecting that I'd have to sacrifice one of the 60GB
> drives, gaining a net 140GB. But it would be great if there was some
> clever way to simply add it. (There is physical space on the panel.)
>
> Once I rule that out, I'll start to get my mind around how to
> implement the change with minimum disruption. Hopefully I can get some
> help on that here please!

If you have an open PCI slot, you can add an additional controller.
You should be able to find one for about $15-30. Additional potential
issues include power supply capacity and space in which to mount the
drive.

peter

> In anticipation of running out of HD space some day, a month or two
> ago I bought a new 200GB HD, a DiamondMax 10, Model 6L200P0. I'm now
> getting serious about installing it. I currently have 2 identical 60GB
> Maxtor HDs. I also have two CD/DVD drives. My motherboard on this
> 3-year old PC is an ASUS A7A266-E, and in its manual I read (but
> barely comprehend) the following:
> "IDE Connectors
> Dual channel bus master IDE connectors support up to four Ultra DMA
> 133/100/166, PIO Modes £ & 4 IDE devices."
>
> So, in simple terms, does that mean that there's *definitely* no way I
> can ADD this as a 3rd HD (i.e. a 5th 'drive')?
>
> I bought it expecting that I'd have to sacrifice one of the 60GB
> drives, gaining a net 140GB. But it would be great if there was some
> clever way to simply add it. (There is physical space on the panel.)
>
> Once I rule that out, I'll start to get my mind around how to
> implement the change with minimum disruption. Hopefully I can get some
> help on that here please!

I would get rid of one CD/DVD drive, to start with.

Previously Terry Pinnell <terrypinDELETE@thesedial.pipex.com> wrote:
> In anticipation of running out of HD space some day, a month or two
> ago I bought a new 200GB HD, a DiamondMax 10, Model 6L200P0. I'm now
> getting serious about installing it. I currently have 2 identical 60GB
> Maxtor HDs. I also have two CD/DVD drives. My motherboard on this
> 3-year old PC is an ASUS A7A266-E, and in its manual I read (but
> barely comprehend) the following:
> "IDE Connectors
> Dual channel bus master IDE connectors support up to four Ultra DMA
> 133/100/166, PIO Modes £ & 4 IDE devices."

> So, in simple terms, does that mean that there's *definitely* no way I
> can ADD this as a 3rd HD (i.e. a 5th 'drive')?

> I bought it expecting that I'd have to sacrifice one of the 60GB
> drives, gaining a net 140GB. But it would be great if there was some
> clever way to simply add it. (There is physical space on the panel.)

> Once I rule that out, I'll start to get my mind around how to
> implement the change with minimum disruption. Hopefully I can get some
> help on that here please!

Add an IDE controller card. I made good experiences with
Promise 100tx2 (or 133tx2). Not expensive at all. You
should avoid putting two drives on one channel with them
though, since that slows them down considerably in
some set-ups.

Arno

cjt

Arno Wagner wrote:

> Previously Terry Pinnell <terrypinDELETE@thesedial.pipex.com> wrote:
>
>>In anticipation of running out of HD space some day, a month or two
>>ago I bought a new 200GB HD, a DiamondMax 10, Model 6L200P0. I'm now
>>getting serious about installing it. I currently have 2 identical 60GB
>>Maxtor HDs. I also have two CD/DVD drives. My motherboard on this
>>3-year old PC is an ASUS A7A266-E, and in its manual I read (but
>>barely comprehend) the following:
>>"IDE Connectors
>>Dual channel bus master IDE connectors support up to four Ultra DMA
>>133/100/166, PIO Modes £ & 4 IDE devices."
>

>>So, in simple terms, does that mean that there's *definitely* no way I
>>can ADD this as a 3rd HD (i.e. a 5th 'drive')?
>

>>I bought it expecting that I'd have to sacrifice one of the 60GB
>>drives, gaining a net 140GB. But it would be great if there was some
>>clever way to simply add it. (There is physical space on the panel.)
>

>>Once I rule that out, I'll start to get my mind around how to
>>implement the change with minimum disruption. Hopefully I can get some
>>help on that here please!
>

> Add an IDE controller card. I made good experiences with
> Promise 100tx2 (or 133tx2). Not expensive at all. You
> should avoid putting two drives on one channel with them
> though, since that slows them down considerably in
> some set-ups.
>
> Arno

I wasn't going to recommend specific hardware, but since you opened
that door --

I'm not too keen on Promise. I'd probably go with this:

http://www.provantage.com/buy-7SIIG15X-ultra-ata-133-dual-channel-controller-pc-siig-ide-scsi-hdd-controllers-sc-pe4b12-shopping.htm

Terry Pinnell <terrypinDELETE@THESEdial.pipex.com> wrote:

> In anticipation of running out of HD space some day, a month or two
> ago I bought a new 200GB HD, a DiamondMax 10, Model 6L200P0.
> I'm now getting serious about installing it. I currently have 2 identical
> 60GB Maxtor HDs. I also have two CD/DVD drives. My motherboard
> on this 3-year old PC is an ASUS A7A266-E, and in its manual I read
> (but barely comprehend) the following:

> "IDE Connectors
> Dual channel bus master IDE connectors support up to four
> Ultra DMA 133/100/166, PIO Modes 3 & 4 IDE devices."

That is saying you can have 4 IDE devices.

> So, in simple terms, does that mean that there's *definitely*
> no way I can ADD this as a 3rd HD (i.e. a 5th 'drive')?

You can if you add an extra IDE card.

> I bought it expecting that I'd have to sacrifice one of the 60GB
> drives, gaining a net 140GB. But it would be great if there was some
> clever way to simply add it. (There is physical space on the panel.)

You can if you add an IDE card for the drives past 4.