Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

How do I reinstall an XP video component?

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
December 22, 2004 11:20:30 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

I recently activated NetMeeting Video Conferencing software on my XP Home
machine by running the conf.exe file for the first time.
Everything went well initially but when the NM opened for the first time, it
presented a choice of two hauppage capture devices: one was hauppage winTV
capture, the other was hauppage winTV Video capture (I think)
I left it at the current setting in the dropdown box which was the first
option.
I closed the programme and when re-opening it, did not receive the choice of
capture devices. However, when trying to select the my video option, it was
greyed out. There were no devices listed in the video capture dropdown box
now.
I checked in "moviemaker" and found that the capture device was still
working properly - but in Yahoo messenger, the same as NetMeeting, the video
option was no longer available.
Should I reinstall the NetMeeting programme? If so, how would I do this. It
comes as part of the XP package I think.
Also how would I uninstall the "corrupted" copy first?
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated as I am trying to set something up
between my father and myself as we live apart.
Yahoo used to work before this NM problem - but we wanted to do something on
an IP to IP basis rather than having all of the interruptions from the
idiots in most of the directories!
Note: the other machine is identical with the same hauppage capture card
etc. and everything is fine on that one.(by the way, there is only one
capture device installed so it is a surprise to have received the choice of
two in NM to start with)
Thanks in advance for some help. I would love to get it fixed by Christmas.

Kind regards,
Paul
Anonymous
December 23, 2004 3:21:02 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

"Spam Trap" wrote:

> choice of two hauppage capture devices: one was hauppage winTV
> capture, the other was hauppage winTV Video capture (I think)

Does the following hint apply to your device?
http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/faq/support_faq_pvrusb.h...

If you run a different device, you can try to configure the Hauppauge
driver(s) by C:\windows\vidcap32.exe. If lacking, you can download this
Windows tool from http://tinyurl.com/axkr.

If unsuccessfull, you can remove all Hauppage drivers, particularly with the
help of Hauppauge's http://hauppauge.lightpath.net/de/hcwclear.exe, and make
a clean reinstall.

> Should I reinstall the NetMeeting programme?

Though you *might* reinstall Netmeeting on w2k and XP according to
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;267958, this very
likely will not solve the drivers problem.
Anonymous
December 29, 2004 2:24:07 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

Hi Thomas,
Many thanks for the reply.
Sorry it's taken a while to get back to you, but with Christmas etc. it has
been difficult to spend much time on the PC.
The two capture device issue was not because of the PVR version of the
Hauppage card. I only have the WinTV Go version.
The vidcap32.exe programme was very helpful. It showed that even after the
reinstall of the capture software and drivers etc. there were still
problems.

In the end, I called the Hauppauge help line who were very good - (after
they agreed that it wasn't necessarily a Microsoft XP problem!)

It appears that by downloading the drivers etc. from their site problems can
still occur because there is a very strict order of events that must be
followed to get a truly clean reinstall.
I was advised to visit the "Forum" section of their site at hauppauge.co.UK
The posting was called "Installation procedure for cards with 848 - 878
chipsets"
It also turned out that the only drivers that will work on net meeting are
the "VFW" not the "WMD" ones as you would get by just downloading from the
front end of their site.

I do hope that this might help someone else. Everything now works fine -
though I am incredibly disappointed with the poor quality of the video link
through NetMeeting despite our fast connection and relatively good machine
spec. (Are there any other, better free video conferencing options out there
that anyone might know about?)
Anyway, many thanks for your suggestions and help on my problem. Much
appreciated.
Kind regards,
Paul
"Thomas Bliesener" <ThomasBliesener@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:0782AA20-F6E5-421A-9E14-25865B952760@microsoft.com...
>
>
> "Spam Trap" wrote:
>
> > choice of two hauppage capture devices: one was hauppage winTV
> > capture, the other was hauppage winTV Video capture (I think)
>
> Does the following hint apply to your device?
> http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/faq/support_faq_pvrusb.h...
>
> If you run a different device, you can try to configure the Hauppauge
> driver(s) by C:\windows\vidcap32.exe. If lacking, you can download this
> Windows tool from http://tinyurl.com/axkr.
>
> If unsuccessfull, you can remove all Hauppage drivers, particularly with
the
> help of Hauppauge's http://hauppauge.lightpath.net/de/hcwclear.exe, and
make
> a clean reinstall.
>
> > Should I reinstall the NetMeeting programme?
>
> Though you *might* reinstall Netmeeting on w2k and XP according to
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;267958, this very
> likely will not solve the drivers problem.
>
>
Anonymous
December 30, 2004 7:41:02 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

"Spam Trap" wrote:

> It also turned out that the only drivers that will work on net meeting are
> the "VFW" not the "WMD" ones as you would get by just downloading from the
> front end of their site.

This generally applies for Netmeeting. In order for Netmeeting to use WDM
drivers (even including those for firewire cams), you can do a trick: Install
Trackercam http://www.enovation.com/TrackerCam/TCamWeb/download.ht... , choose
the WDM driver as input for Trackercam, choose Trackercam as input for
Netmeeting. Resulting video quality is excellent. I am curious if this
improves the video quality of your particular device, too.

--
FAQ Messenger & Netmeeting: http://www.uni-essen.de/kitt/faq-nm.htm
Tschuess, regards, salut, Thomas Bliesener, MVP http://tinyurl.com/rqed
!