DVD+RW: "incorrect function" & solution

Last response: in Storage
a b G Storage
September 21, 2005 1:27:11 AM

I am posting this in case anyone has a similar problem in the future.

After burning DVD's (DVD+RW discs) with Nero Express (OEM) Windows 2000
would not display the disc contents in Windows Explorer. It reports
"incorrect function". I later learned it has the same error message
when you insert a blank disc.

The Nero program button "disc info" however does report the correct
amount of data written to the disc. (although I haven't tried, I would
bet I could also browse the disc from within Nero)

A workaround solution is to simply eject and reload the disc. Note that
View-->refresh (in Windows Explorer) does not fix it.

This works for me but if anyone has a better fix please post it.
January 18, 2009 4:13:05 AM

I had the 'Incorrect function' problem with a new DVD burner when trying to access burned dvds. I'm using windows 2000 and I tried ejecting and reloading the disc and it didn't work. At one point it was able to show me a directory on the dvd+r disc but then when i tried to open it it said something like 'the folder is missing or has been moved'. Then I remembered i had enabled DMA (Direct memory access) because the dvd burning app (Nero 7) suggested it. So I ran the 'Nero DMA Manager' and disabled DMA for both of my cd/dvd drives (one cd burner and one dvd/cd burner). This fixed the problem completely. But I might try enabling it just for the dvd burner on a hunch that that might work too.

Hope this helps someone...

Bill
!