Right click on .mpg/.avi file and my screen flashes

eSm

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2001
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

I'm not sure what is going on, but perhaps some app I had previously
installed is causing this. When I right click on any .mpg or .avi file, my
system freezes for a split section and my screen flashes. It's kind of like
it's trying to auto preview the file or something.

This even happens if I cut/copy an .avi or.mpg file.

Where can I look, perhaps in the registry, to find out what is hooking into
these extensions. There is nothing showing except the default open
application in file types.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

Try opening event viewer for what happens when you clicked on the
file(s),or download wm9 series encoder,then run the file thru the encoder.

"ESM" wrote:

> I'm not sure what is going on, but perhaps some app I had previously
> installed is causing this. When I right click on any .mpg or .avi file, my
> system freezes for a split section and my screen flashes. It's kind of like
> it's trying to auto preview the file or something.
>
> This even happens if I cut/copy an .avi or.mpg file.
>
> Where can I look, perhaps in the registry, to find out what is hooking into
> these extensions. There is nothing showing except the default open
> application in file types.

kelly

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

Depends....for starters, run this edit:

AVI Search Remove (Line 74)

Happy Holidays,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"ESM" <ask@for.it> wrote in message
> I'm not sure what is going on, but perhaps some app I had previously
> installed is causing this. When I right click on any .mpg or .avi file,
> my system freezes for a split section and my screen flashes. It's kind of
> like it's trying to auto preview the file or something.
>
> This even happens if I cut/copy an .avi or.mpg file.
>
> Where can I look, perhaps in the registry, to find out what is hooking
> into these extensions. There is nothing showing except the default open
> application in file types.

eSm

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2001
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

Didn't work. Got any other things to try?