Do I even need an IEEE139a card?

I am totally new to Video capture and MM2. I have a digital JVC camera which
came with a cable that hooks into the camera and then into a Firewire slot
of my computer. I never bought a firewire card and wonder what it does and
whether I even need one.

Also, what is a good and easy to understandable book on MM2?

MY OS is Windows XP with SP2 installed.

I forgot to mention the most important part, I am sure:

The graphics card in my computer is GE Force Fx5200.
DO I now still also need an IEEE139a card too?

"Ritter197" <Ritter197@Comcast.net> wrote in message
>I am totally new to Video capture and MM2. I have a digital JVC camera
>which came with a cable that hooks into the camera and then into a Firewire
>slot of my computer. I never bought a firewire card and wonder what it does
>and whether I even need one.
>
> Also, what is a good and easy to understandable book on MM2?
>
> MY OS is Windows XP with SP2 installed.

If you have a firewire port on your PC then you do not need an extra one.
Your camera may also have USB2? If so you will need to make sure your PC
also has USB2.

I don't know MM2.

Good luck

http://www.MettaWeb.com

"Mettá" <metta-remove@this-metta.org.uk> wrote in message
> If you have a firewire port on your PC then you do not need an extra one.
> Your camera may also have USB2? If so you will need to make sure your PC
> also has USB2.
>
> I don't know MM2.
>
> Good luck

> http://www.MettaWeb.com
>

> "Ritter197" <Ritter197@Comcast.net> wrote in message
>>I forgot to mention the most important part, I am sure:
>>
>> The graphics card in my computer is GE Force Fx5200.
>> DO I now still also need an IEEE139a card too?
>>
>> "Ritter197" <Ritter197@Comcast.net> wrote in message
>>>I am totally new to Video capture and MM2. I have a digital JVC camera
>>>which came with a cable that hooks into the camera and then into a
>>>Firewire slot of my computer. I never bought a firewire card and wonder
>>>what it does and whether I even need one.
>>>
>>> Also, what is a good and easy to understandable book on MM2?
>>>
>>> MY OS is Windows XP with SP2 installed.

The camera is a JVC GR DVL 805 Digital movie camera. It came with a cable
that fits into the camera on 1 end and the other fits into the computer, a
fairly recently built one.

I assume 1 end is USB and the other (it looks different) is Firewire.

The thing I noticed though, is that the monitor window in MM2 shows the
images taken at night very dark, almost black, whereas on the monitor window
of the camera they were fine.

Is that attributable to such a card or MM2?

"Mettá" <metta-remove@this-metta.org.uk> wrote in message
> If you have a firewire port on your PC then you do not need an extra one.
> Your camera may also have USB2? If so you will need to make sure your PC
> also has USB2.
>
> I don't know MM2.
>
> Good luck

> http://www.MettaWeb.com
>

> "Ritter197" <Ritter197@Comcast.net> wrote in message
>>I forgot to mention the most important part, I am sure:
>>
>> The graphics card in my computer is GE Force Fx5200.
>> DO I now still also need an IEEE139a card too?
>>
>> "Ritter197" <Ritter197@Comcast.net> wrote in message
>>>I am totally new to Video capture and MM2. I have a digital JVC camera
>>>which came with a cable that hooks into the camera and then into a
>>>Firewire slot of my computer. I never bought a firewire card and wonder
>>>what it does and whether I even need one.
>>>
>>> Also, what is a good and easy to understandable book on MM2?
>>>
>>> MY OS is Windows XP with SP2 installed.

Check out my answers in the MM group, and I now assume you only have a usb
lead. See here for what firewire looks like.
http://images.google.co.uk/images?q=firewire&hl=en&lr=&sa=N&tab=wi

--
Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media

> The camera is a JVC GR DVL 805 Digital movie camera. It came with a cable
> that fits into the camera on 1 end and the other fits into the computer, a
> fairly recently built one.
>
> I assume 1 end is USB and the other (it looks different) is Firewire.
>
> The thing I noticed though, is that the monitor window in MM2 shows the
> images taken at night very dark, almost black, whereas on the monitor
window
> of the camera they were fine.
>
> Is that attributable to such a card or MM2?
>

> "Mettá" <metta-remove@this-metta.org.uk> wrote in message
> > If you have a firewire port on your PC then you do not need an extra
one.
> > Your camera may also have USB2? If so you will need to make sure your PC
> > also has USB2.
> >
> > I don't know MM2.
> >
> > Good luck
> >
> > --
> >
> > http://www.MettaWeb.com
> >

> > "Ritter197" <Ritter197@Comcast.net> wrote in message
> >>I forgot to mention the most important part, I am sure:
> >>
> >> The graphics card in my computer is GE Force Fx5200.
> >> DO I now still also need an IEEE139a card too?
> >>
> >> "Ritter197" <Ritter197@Comcast.net> wrote in message

1 end is a firewire, the other is a USB. Same wire, of course.
For sure!

"Graham Hughes" <graham@simplydv.co.uk> wrote in message
> Check out my answers in the MM group, and I now assume you only have a usb
> lead. See here for what firewire looks like.
> http://images.google.co.uk/images?q=firewire&hl=en&lr=&sa=N&tab=wi
>
> --
> Graham Hughes
> MVP Digital Media
> www.dvds2treasure.com
> www.simplydv.com
>

> "Ritter197" <Ritter197@Comcast.net> wrote in message
>> The camera is a JVC GR DVL 805 Digital movie camera. It came with a
>> cable
>> that fits into the camera on 1 end and the other fits into the computer,
>> fairly recently built one.
>>
>> I assume 1 end is USB and the other (it looks different) is Firewire.
>>
>> The thing I noticed though, is that the monitor window in MM2 shows the
>> images taken at night very dark, almost black, whereas on the monitor
> window
>> of the camera they were fine.
>>
>> Is that attributable to such a card or MM2?
>>

>> "Mettá" <metta-remove@this-metta.org.uk> wrote in message
>> > If you have a firewire port on your PC then you do not need an extra
> one.
>> > Your camera may also have USB2? If so you will need to make sure your
>> > PC
>> > also has USB2.
>> >
>> > I don't know MM2.
>> >
>> > Good luck
>> >
>> > --
>> >
>> > http://www.MettaWeb.com
>> >

>> > "Ritter197" <Ritter197@Comcast.net> wrote in message

NO!

If one end of the cable is firewire then so is the other!

--

http://www.MettaWeb.com

>1 end is a firewire, the other is a USB. Same wire, of course.
> For sure!
>
> "Graham Hughes" <graham@simplydv.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Check out my answers in the MM group, and I now assume you only have a
>> usb
>> lead. See here for what firewire looks like.
>> http://images.google.co.uk/images?q=firewire&hl=en&lr=&sa=N&tab=wi
>>
>> --
>> Graham Hughes
>> MVP Digital Media
>> www.dvds2treasure.com
>> www.simplydv.com
>>

>> "Ritter197" <Ritter197@Comcast.net> wrote in message
>>> The camera is a JVC GR DVL 805 Digital movie camera. It came with a
>>> cable
>>> that fits into the camera on 1 end and the other fits into the computer,
>>> fairly recently built one.
>>>
>>> I assume 1 end is USB and the other (it looks different) is Firewire.
>>>
>>> The thing I noticed though, is that the monitor window in MM2 shows the
>>> images taken at night very dark, almost black, whereas on the monitor
>> window
>>> of the camera they were fine.
>>>
>>> Is that attributable to such a card or MM2?
>>>

>>> "Mettá" <metta-remove@this-metta.org.uk> wrote in message
>> one.

I took it to my very reliable computer store. It is not the same type of
endings, since 1 end fits into the digital camera. That end is small. The
other end is Firewire and fits ONLY in the firewire slot.

My computer store technician agrees.

So, you are right, but it is not the "usual" firewire .

> NO!
>
> If one end of the cable is firewire then so is the other!
>

> --
>
> http://www.MettaWeb.com
>

> "Ritter197" <Ritter197@Comcast.net> wrote in message
>>1 end is a firewire, the other is a USB. Same wire, of course.
>> For sure!
>>
>> "Graham Hughes" <graham@simplydv.co.uk> wrote in message
>>> Check out my answers in the MM group, and I now assume you only have a
>>> usb
>>> lead. See here for what firewire looks like.
>>> http://images.google.co.uk/images?q=firewire&hl=en&lr=&sa=N&tab=wi
>>>
>>> --
>>> Graham Hughes
>>> MVP Digital Media
>>> www.dvds2treasure.com
>>> www.simplydv.com
>>>

>>> "Ritter197" <Ritter197@Comcast.net> wrote in message

>>> window

>>> one.

Oh, forgot, he also said with my ASUS P4P800 motherboard I do not need
another card.

>I took it to my very reliable computer store. It is not the same type of
>endings, since 1 end fits into the digital camera. That end is small. The
>other end is Firewire and fits ONLY in the firewire slot.
>
> My computer store technician agrees.
>
> So, you are right, but it is not the "usual" firewire .
>
> "Mettá" <metta-remove@this-metta.org.uk> wrote in message
>> NO!
>>
>> If one end of the cable is firewire then so is the other!
>>

>> --
>>
>> http://www.MettaWeb.com
>>

>> "Ritter197" <Ritter197@Comcast.net> wrote in message
>>>1 end is a firewire, the other is a USB. Same wire, of course.
>>> For sure!
>>>
>>> "Graham Hughes" <graham@simplydv.co.uk> wrote in message

So you have a 4 pin to 6 pin firewire cable, does it look the same as the
pictures I posted a link to above?

--
Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media

"Ritter197" <Ritter197@Comcast.net> wrote in message
> I took it to my very reliable computer store. It is not the same type of
> endings, since 1 end fits into the digital camera. That end is small. The
> other end is Firewire and fits ONLY in the firewire slot.
>
> My computer store technician agrees.
>
> So, you are right, but it is not the "usual" firewire .
>
> "Mettá" <metta-remove@this-metta.org.uk> wrote in message
> > NO!
> >
> > If one end of the cable is firewire then so is the other!
> >

> > --
> >
> > http://www.MettaWeb.com
> >

> > "Ritter197" <Ritter197@Comcast.net> wrote in message
> >>1 end is a firewire, the other is a USB. Same wire, of course.
> >> For sure!
> >>
> >> "Graham Hughes" <graham@simplydv.co.uk> wrote in message

The Asus board comes with a Firewire port and USB 2 ports.

The "plugs on the cable will be different sizes because some cameras have a
reduced size socket due to limited space. This applies to USB and FIREWIRE
ports. They are not the same but they do look very similar.

http://www.MettaWeb.com

> Oh, forgot, he also said with my ASUS P4P800 motherboard I do not need
> another card.
>
> "Ritter197" <Ritter197@Comcast.net> wrote in message
>>I took it to my very reliable computer store. It is not the same type of
>>endings, since 1 end fits into the digital camera. That end is small. The
>>other end is Firewire and fits ONLY in the firewire slot.
>>
>> My computer store technician agrees.
>>
>> So, you are right, but it is not the "usual" firewire .
>>
>> "Mettá" <metta-remove@this-metta.org.uk> wrote in message
>>> NO!
>>>
>>> If one end of the cable is firewire then so is the other!
>>>

>>> --
>>>
>>> http://www.MettaWeb.com
>>>

>>> "Ritter197" <Ritter197@Comcast.net> wrote in message

Thanks, you are absolutely correct.