another article saying pc games are at risk

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

x-no-archive: yes

again the same view which i partially agree with...

article in cnet
"Xbox 360 and PS3: death to PC gaming?"
By David Carnoy
http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6449_7-6233821-1.html

pc games are declining and we pc gamers must stop it
if we still want to have pc games to play we must do our role
which is support the platform by all means we got

for me the role we must play is:
.. buy pc games for ourselves
.. buy pc games to give as gifts to friends and family
.. never copy pc games to others
.. never lend pc games to others
.. buy at least 1 pc game title a month
.. stay exclusive and faithful to pc games and don't support
any kind of consoles or other gaming platforms
.. actively fight against things that damage pc games like
piracy, microsoft attitude toward pc games and consoles

support your favorite hobby! support pc games!
long live pc games!

--
to check authenticity of the real "steamKILLER" reassure that
the post came from a google server and that the email address

steamKILLER wrote:

> again the same view which i partially agree with...
> article in cnet
> "Xbox 360 and PS3: death to PC gaming?"
> By David Carnoy
> http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6449_7-6233821-1.html

If I can run my precious Steam on the new Xbox 360 I might consider
this
But on the other hand an XBox is nothing more or less than a challenged
PC

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

Old saying, "Water will find its own level".
Having a "strategy" to keep PC games alive will never work on a grass-roots
level.

I like PC gaming, but I wouldn't loose one minute of sleep over it fading
away forever.

Something will always be there to take its place.

steamKILLER wrote:
> x-no-archive: yes
>
> again the same view which i partially agree with...
>
> article in cnet
> "Xbox 360 and PS3: death to PC gaming?"
> By David Carnoy
> http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6449_7-6233821-1.html
>
> pc games are declining and we pc gamers must stop it
> if we still want to have pc games to play we must do our role
> which is support the platform by all means we got
>
> for me the role we must play is:
> . buy pc games for ourselves
> . buy pc games to give as gifts to friends and family
> . never copy pc games to others
> . never lend pc games to others
> . buy at least 1 pc game title a month
> . stay exclusive and faithful to pc games and don't support
> any kind of consoles or other gaming platforms
> . actively fight against things that damage pc games like
> piracy, microsoft attitude toward pc games and consoles
>
> support your favorite hobby! support pc games!
> long live pc games!
>
> --
> to check authenticity of the real "steamKILLER" reassure that
> the post came from a google server and that the email address
> is "sayNO2steam@yahoo.com"

Everytime a new generation of consoles arrive (anyone remember 3DO?),
there have always been the prediction of pc gaming's demise. Hasn't
happened, yet. A month after the new XBox is out, PC's will regain the
technologicla edge.

On 4 Jun 2005 02:43:01 -0700, "steamKILLER" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>article in cnet
>"Xbox 360 and PS3: death to PC gaming?"
>By David Carnoy
>http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6449_7-6233821-1.html

[snip]

You'd have a lot of interesting posts if it wasn't for your lunatic
commentary.

Tim

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"steamKILLER" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> x-no-archive: yes
>
> again the same view which i partially agree with...
>
> article in cnet
> "Xbox 360 and PS3: death to PC gaming?"
> By David Carnoy
> http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6449_7-6233821-1.html

Thanks for the article, but don't people always say that PC gaming will die
every time a new generation of consoles come out?

Although I very much like my Xbox because it opens up new gaming doors for
me, I'm not about to give up gaming on the PC. I like real-time strategy
games and nothing beats the combo of having a keyboard and mouse for those
sorts of games. While I have adapted quite well to first person shooters
with the Xbox controller, again, the keyboard and mouse combo is still
champ.

Anyway, I don't think PC gaming will die. A lot of console games are at
least ported over to the PC. While games for the PC are not the bread and
butter of sales, it does generate some extra revenue. It's clear to see
that the PC and consoles (particularly the Xbox) are not radically different
from one another in terms of internal components. Another thing the PC has
going for it from a consumer standpoint is that games generally drop in
price more quickly than their console counterparts. Sure, you fork out
extra bucks for PC hardware, but I reckon you'll gain a lot of that money
back given the prices of PC games versus console games. Of course, that
depends on how much patience you have and how many games you buy.

At the end of the day, I like having both a console and gaming PC.

"steamKILLER" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> escribió en el mensaje
> x-no-archive: yes
>
> again the same view which i partially agree with...
>
> article in cnet
> "Xbox 360 and PS3: death to PC gaming?"
> By David Carnoy
> http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6449_7-6233821-1.html
>
> pc games are declining and we pc gamers must stop it
> if we still want to have pc games to play we must do our role
> which is support the platform by all means we got

you sound more like a 'pc games shareholder' than a player to me, and well
if pc gaming has to die, i got plenty of other things to do, its not a vital
issue to me!

"Chris B." <nospam@xyxyxy.com> wrote in message
> steamKILLER wrote:
> > x-no-archive: yes
> >
> > again the same view which i partially agree with...
> >
> > article in cnet
> > "Xbox 360 and PS3: death to PC gaming?"
> > By David Carnoy
> > http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6449_7-6233821-1.html
> >
> > pc games are declining and we pc gamers must stop it
> > if we still want to have pc games to play we must do our role
> > which is support the platform by all means we got
> >
> > for me the role we must play is:
> > . buy pc games for ourselves
> > . buy pc games to give as gifts to friends and family
> > . never copy pc games to others
> > . never lend pc games to others
> > . buy at least 1 pc game title a month
> > . stay exclusive and faithful to pc games and don't support
> > any kind of consoles or other gaming platforms
> > . actively fight against things that damage pc games like
> > piracy, microsoft attitude toward pc games and consoles
> >
> > support your favorite hobby! support pc games!
> > long live pc games!
> >
> > --
> > to check authenticity of the real "steamKILLER" reassure that
> > the post came from a google server and that the email address
> > is "sayNO2steam@yahoo.com"
> >
> Everytime a new generation of consoles arrive (anyone remember 3DO?),
> there have always been the prediction of pc gaming's demise. Hasn't
> happened, yet. A month after the new XBox is out, PC's will regain the
> technologicla edge.

Clearly however, PC gaming is on a downward slope. As the consoles grow more
powerful, and their numbers greater and greater, the impetus for a company
to release a PC game that is anything other than a console port diminishes
greatly. I don't expect the market to die entirely, but I don't expect it to
get a lot better.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

> Everytime a new generation of consoles arrive (anyone remember 3DO?),
> there have always been the prediction of pc gaming's demise. Hasn't
> happened, yet.

agreed.

>A month after the new XBox is out, PC's will regain
> the technologicla edge.

a month after?.. they already have ;)

--
DalienX

jwb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2003
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"Chris B." <nospam@xyxyxy.com> wrote in message

> Everytime a new generation of consoles arrive (anyone remember 3DO?),
> there have always been the prediction of pc gaming's demise. Hasn't
> happened, yet. A month after the new XBox is out, PC's will regain the
> technologicla edge.

From what I see, every generation of consoles makes the PC section in the
stores smaller and smaller. I don't think anyone can deny that.

I do not think PC gaming will die, though - it might move to mostly an
online distribution of smaller titles, but it won't die.

jwb wrote:

>"Chris B." <nospam@xyxyxy.com> wrote in message
>

>>Everytime a new generation of consoles arrive (anyone remember 3DO?),
>>there have always been the prediction of pc gaming's demise. Hasn't
>>happened, yet. A month after the new XBox is out, PC's will regain the
>>technologicla edge.
>>

>From what I see, every generation of consoles makes the PC section in the
>stores smaller and smaller. I don't think anyone can deny that.

Not really. Consoles don't make the PC games fewer, the lack of decent
games does. They don't need someone else to blame for their failures,
they are cutting their own throats with lousy design, lousy
implementation, lousy service, high prices, and general
dissatisfaction. I could name half a dozen games in the last year that
I had once held high expectations for, some I beta'd, and all have
failed. I didn't buy any of them.

It's not a case of having not enough, either. Many of these failed
because they tried to have too much. I'm sorry, but the early days of
uo and quake are over, no one product can be everything to everyone,
dominate the market anymore (there being some competition now). Yet
every new game comes out trying to have everything. If they would
identify and select a reasonable target audience and serve them, they
could have their success, with a simpler development process that does
not need All Standard Features.

--
A sufficiently advanced computer network protective attitude is indistinguishable from paranoia.

On 4 Jun 2005 04:04:31 -0700, "Peter [AGHL]" <peter.aghl@gmail.com> wrote:

>steamKILLER wrote:
>
>> again the same view which i partially agree with...
>> article in cnet
>> "Xbox 360 and PS3: death to PC gaming?"
>> By David Carnoy
>> http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6449_7-6233821-1.html
>>
>If I can run my precious Steam on the new Xbox 360 I might consider
>this
>But on the other hand an XBox is nothing more or less than a challenged
>PC

I don't know about that. Have you seen the specs for GPUs it has? I would
imagine you would need some kind of SLI rig to compete with that and look how
much that would set you back for just the two cards.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

On Sat, 4 Jun 2005 13:10:15 -0400, "Roger Christie"
<rochrist@<REMOVETOEMAIL>charter.net> wrote:

>"Chris B." <nospam@xyxyxy.com> wrote in message
>> steamKILLER wrote:
>> > x-no-archive: yes
>> >
>> > again the same view which i partially agree with...
>> >
>> > article in cnet
>> > "Xbox 360 and PS3: death to PC gaming?"
>> > By David Carnoy
>> > http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6449_7-6233821-1.html
>> >
>> > pc games are declining and we pc gamers must stop it
>> > if we still want to have pc games to play we must do our role
>> > which is support the platform by all means we got
>> >
>> > for me the role we must play is:
>> > . buy pc games for ourselves
>> > . buy pc games to give as gifts to friends and family
>> > . never copy pc games to others
>> > . never lend pc games to others
>> > . buy at least 1 pc game title a month
>> > . stay exclusive and faithful to pc games and don't support
>> > any kind of consoles or other gaming platforms
>> > . actively fight against things that damage pc games like
>> > piracy, microsoft attitude toward pc games and consoles
>> >
>> > support your favorite hobby! support pc games!
>> > long live pc games!
>> >
>> > --
>> > to check authenticity of the real "steamKILLER" reassure that
>> > the post came from a google server and that the email address
>> > is "sayNO2steam@yahoo.com"
>> >
>> Everytime a new generation of consoles arrive (anyone remember 3DO?),
>> there have always been the prediction of pc gaming's demise. Hasn't
>> happened, yet. A month after the new XBox is out, PC's will regain the
>> technologicla edge.
>
>Clearly however, PC gaming is on a downward slope. As the consoles grow more
>powerful, and their numbers greater and greater, the impetus for a company
>to release a PC game that is anything other than a console port diminishes
>greatly. I don't expect the market to die entirely, but I don't expect it to
>get a lot better.

I don't have a problem with that as long as the console ports don't end up
being third person platformer/action games all the time. Hopefully the console
will evolve into something more than a toy for button mashers and the
controllers will change so that the games won't be designed around it.

www.blackcatcrossing.net
"Memnoch" <memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> On Sat, 4 Jun 2005 13:10:15 -0400, "Roger Christie"
> <rochrist@<REMOVETOEMAIL>charter.net> wrote:
>
> >"Chris B." <nospam@xyxyxy.com> wrote in message

> >> Everytime a new generation of consoles arrive (anyone remember 3DO?),
> >> there have always been the prediction of pc gaming's demise. Hasn't
> >> happened, yet. A month after the new XBox is out, PC's will regain the
> >> technologicla edge.
> >
> >Clearly however, PC gaming is on a downward slope. As the consoles grow
more
> >powerful, and their numbers greater and greater, the impetus for a
company
> >to release a PC game that is anything other than a console port
diminishes
> >greatly. I don't expect the market to die entirely, but I don't expect it
> >get a lot better.
>
> I don't have a problem with that as long as the console ports don't end up
> being third person platformer/action games all the time. Hopefully the
console
> will evolve into something more than a toy for button mashers and the
> controllers will change so that the games won't be designed around it.

I do. Not for games that are the console's bread and butter. But for
strategy, rpg, simulations and the like, having something designed for the
console first is a major detriment. Interface issues DO matter.

I don't expeect the controllers to change significantly any time soon,
sadly.

KAOS

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

On 4 Jun 2005 02:43:01 -0700, "steamKILLER" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com>
dared speak in front of ME:

>x-no-archive: yes
>
>again the same view which i partially agree with...
>
>article in cnet
>"Xbox 360 and PS3: death to PC gaming?"
>By David Carnoy
>http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6449_7-6233821-1.html
>
>pc games are declining and we pc gamers must stop it
>if we still want to have pc games to play we must do our role
>which is support the platform by all means we got
>
>for me the role we must play is:
>. buy pc games for ourselves
>. buy pc games to give as gifts to friends and family
>. never copy pc games to others
>. never lend pc games to others
>. buy at least 1 pc game title a month
>. stay exclusive and faithful to pc games and don't support
>any kind of consoles or other gaming platforms
>. actively fight against things that damage pc games like
>piracy, microsoft attitude toward pc games and consoles
>
>support your favorite hobby!

My hobby is gaming. Irrational loyalty to the platform rather than
the game does my hobby no favours.

--
Address no longer works.
try removing all numbers from

KAOS

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

On Sat, 04 Jun 2005 09:35:44 -0400, Tim O <timo56@hotmail.com> dared
speak in front of ME:

>On 4 Jun 2005 02:43:01 -0700, "steamKILLER" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com>
>wrote:
>
>>article in cnet
>>"Xbox 360 and PS3: death to PC gaming?"
>>By David Carnoy
>>http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6449_7-6233821-1.html
>
>[snip]
>
>You'd have a lot of interesting posts if it wasn't for your lunatic
>commentary.

I disagree. If it weren't for the lunatic commentary, he wouldn't
have any posts at all.
--

"Chris B." <nospam@xyxyxy.com> once tried to test me with:

> Everytime a new generation of consoles arrive (anyone remember 3DO?),
> there have always been the prediction of pc gaming's demise. Hasn't
> happened, yet. A month after the new XBox is out, PC's will regain the
> technologicla edge.

Into every generation, there is a Chosen Console. It alone will stand
against the PC's, the Macintoshes, and the forces of computing. It is the
PC Slayer.

<cue up cool ass Buffy intro music>

Once a Slayer, Always a Slayer.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"steamKILLER" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> x-no-archive: yes
>
> again the same view which i partially agree with...
>
> article in cnet
> "Xbox 360 and PS3: death to PC gaming?"
> By David Carnoy
> http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6449_7-6233821-1.html
>
> pc games are declining and we pc gamers must stop it
> if we still want to have pc games to play we must do our role
> which is support the platform by all means we got
>
> for me the role we must play is:
> . buy pc games for ourselves
> . buy pc games to give as gifts to friends and family
> . never copy pc games to others
> . never lend pc games to others
> . buy at least 1 pc game title a month
> . stay exclusive and faithful to pc games and don't support
> any kind of consoles or other gaming platforms
> . actively fight against things that damage pc games like
> piracy, microsoft attitude toward pc games and consoles
>
> support your favorite hobby! support pc games!
> long live pc games!
>
> --
> to check authenticity of the real "steamKILLER" reassure that
> the post came from a google server and that the email address
> is "sayNO2steam@yahoo.com"

Won't steam help against PC game piracy? Being interested in CRPGs, I don't
own HL2, and I'm not intimately familiar with steam. However, it seems to
me that steam fights piracy and allows more financial rewards to go to the
developers instead of the publisher.

> . buy pc games for ourselves
AFAIK, steam allows this.

> . buy pc games to give as gifts to friends and family
AFAIK, steam allows this.

> . never copy pc games to others
AFAIK, steam attempts to enforce this. Good no?

> . never lend pc games to others
AFAIK, steam attempts to enforce this. Good no?

> support your favorite hobby! support pc games!
> long live pc games!
So, since steam seems in line with stopping pirating of PC games, what do
you have against it? If NWN/TES4 (upcoming CRPGs) came out with steam, why
should I NOT buy them, and NOT support the devlopers, who made such a large
investment in money and time?

fight4liberty

Quaestor <no.spam@my.place> once tried to test me with:

> It's not a case of having not enough, either. Many of these failed
> because they tried to have too much. I'm sorry, but the early days of
> uo and quake are over, no one product can be everything to everyone,
> dominate the market anymore (there being some competition now). Yet
> every new game comes out trying to have everything. If they would
> identify and select a reasonable target audience and serve them, they
> could have their success, with a simpler development process that does
> not need All Standard Features

I agree with you here. Why are there no more RPGs that target the core RPG
market? We all might be older now but we didn't die off (yet) and there's
still a ton of us who want party-based, turn-based RPGs with decent
graphics and most importantly a good plot and good role-play potential. But
you don't see any of that. And I could live with real-time with pause if
they want to try and do a BG2-type game. Yes, this is a niche market, but
it's a niche market starving for a good game, there's bound to be a lot of
people buy it as long as it's GOOD.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

Thusly Memnoch <memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> Spake Unto
All:

>I don't know about that. Have you seen the specs for GPUs it has? I would
>imagine you would need some kind of SLI rig to compete with that and look how
>much that would set you back for just the two cards.

Don't believe the hype.

On Sat, 04 Jun 2005 19:48:00 +0200, Mean_Chlorine
<mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>Thusly Memnoch <memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> Spake Unto
>All:
>
>>I don't know about that. Have you seen the specs for GPUs it has? I would
>>imagine you would need some kind of SLI rig to compete with that and look how
>>much that would set you back for just the two cards.
>
>Don't believe the hype.

On paper it looks pretty amazing but I will never buy another console until
they get to the point where they stop making concessions on the games they
write for it based on the predominant controller in use and the consoles
architecture.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

[Removed alt.games.half-life from crossposts]

On Sat, 04 Jun 2005 17:38:54 GMT, Memnoch
<memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> wrote:

>On 4 Jun 2005 04:04:31 -0700, "Peter [AGHL]" <peter.aghl@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>steamKILLER wrote:
>>
>>> again the same view which i partially agree with...
>>> article in cnet
>>> "Xbox 360 and PS3: death to PC gaming?"
>>> By David Carnoy
>>> http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6449_7-6233821-1.html
>>>
>>If I can run my precious Steam on the new Xbox 360 I might consider
>>this
>>But on the other hand an XBox is nothing more or less than a challenged
>>PC
>
>I don't know about that. Have you seen the specs for GPUs it has?

http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1986
Custom ATI Graphics Processor
- 500 MNz
- 10 MB embedded DRAM
- 48-way parallel floating-point shader pipelines
- unified shader architecture

This seems like a standard video card, with the exception that it is a
prototype at this stage. A similar thing will follow shortly for PC/MAC or
another graphics development platform - the multimedia producers would want
a powerful graphics card like that as well.

For comparison, the current generation of PC cards is summarised here:
http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20050524/index.html

Offhand, the only two visible differences is the rendering pipelines and
the shader system.

"NightSky 421" <nightsky421@yahoo.ca> once tried to test me with:

> I have to agree. I did notice that EA's hockey games seem somewhat
> more difficult on the Xbox as opposed to the PC, but generally
> speaking, sports gaming in my experience has been a real blast on the
> Xbox. Action and fighting games are cool and I enjoy playing Knockout
> Kings 2002 on the Xbox.

I don't play sports games, but if I did, I'd play it on a console. Because
to me the only time they are fun is when you have buddies over and are all
playing against each other or in teams or sometimes co-op vs the AI. That's
where the console sports games are better, because of the better
multiplayer setup for them. I also played some sports games over the
internet on my PS2 a few times and that was much more fun than playing
against the AI opponent.

I haven't bought a sports title for the PC since Madden 98, and I'm sure
they're better now, but it always seems like the console controller is just
about perfect for sports games. Golf is one sports game on the PC though
that was always a lot of fun. The increased resolution always looks very
nice.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

Memnoch <memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> once tried to test
me with:

> On paper it looks pretty amazing but I will never buy another console
> until they get to the point where they stop making concessions on the
> games they write for it based on the predominant controller in use and
> the consoles architecture.

They do that for the PC too, you know.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"Chris B." <nospam@xyxyxy.com> wrote in message
> Everytime a new generation of consoles arrive (anyone remember 3DO?),
> there have always been the prediction of pc gaming's demise. Hasn't
> happened, yet. A month after the new XBox is out, PC's will regain the
> technologicla edge.

It's not just technology. If technology were the only thing driving
consoles and gaming, the Playstation and PS2 wouldn't have done so well.
The PSX was actually outdated technologically the moment it hit North
American shores, it's just the competition was nonexistant for a few
years... yet it had a long, successful life.

Now, I do have a problem with the articles contention that gaming PC's
cost 2000 dollars. Not really.. not unless you buy from Alienware, and
there's nothing particularly special about a gaming PC, other than it should
have a decent graphics card. In that "gaming PC", is going to be alot of
fluff like a big flatscreen monitor and 5-7.1 speakers, none of which is
required for PC gaming to even be enjoyable (I only use headphones or 2.1
speakers, and I bought a flatscreen monitor mostly to save power- it's not
large or expensive). OTOH, most console fanatics don't lump in that price
of that HDTV or 5.1 sound system... yet they are comparing it to similarly
"high end" PC rigs.

The real truth is that you can build a high end gaming PC for around 800
dollars or less (assuming you need a hard drive and all that other stuff,
and not just taking it from your old computer), or have somebody else build
it, somebody indepedent and not having deep advertising budgets. But most
people are unwilling to do this, and hence the ultimate problem with PC
gaming- a much smaller audience . Most Americans aren't intelligent enough,
or are to lazy to to even check the air pressure in their tires, let alone
put in a new motherboard in their PC. The console market can feed into this
relatively easy, as everything is already packaged together at a low price.

Another problem I see with PC gaming is a slow withering of PC gamings
spirit and vitality. This might actually be a side effect of the increased
popularity of consoles, though. Developers cannot afford to make risky, low
profit PC games anymore, perhaps. To be sure, developers do make alot of
games for the PC, but very often they are multi-platform affairs, ported
from the console.

I've been a long time PC gamer, but lately I'm enjoying the consoles alot
more- I own a PS2. There are some games that are clearly better on the PC,
and strategy gaming on the PC is still much better than on the consoles, but
in the end I see more and more of my gaming time going to the PS2 and not
the PC.