another article saying pc games are at risk

Last response: in Video Games
June 4, 2005 6:43:01 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

x-no-archive: yes

again the same view which i partially agree with...

article in cnet
"Xbox 360 and PS3: death to PC gaming?"
By David Carnoy
http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6449_7-6233821-1.html

pc games are declining and we pc gamers must stop it
if we still want to have pc games to play we must do our role
which is support the platform by all means we got

for me the role we must play is:
.. buy pc games for ourselves
.. buy pc games to give as gifts to friends and family
.. never copy pc games to others
.. never lend pc games to others
.. buy at least 1 pc game title a month
.. stay exclusive and faithful to pc games and don't support
any kind of consoles or other gaming platforms
.. actively fight against things that damage pc games like
piracy, microsoft attitude toward pc games and consoles

support your favorite hobby! support pc games!
long live pc games!

--
to check authenticity of the real "steamKILLER" reassure that
the post came from a google server and that the email address

More about : article games risk

Anonymous
June 4, 2005 8:04:31 AM

steamKILLER wrote:

> again the same view which i partially agree with...
> article in cnet
> "Xbox 360 and PS3: death to PC gaming?"
> By David Carnoy
> http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6449_7-6233821-1.html

If I can run my precious Steam on the new Xbox 360 I might consider
this
But on the other hand an XBox is nothing more or less than a challenged
PC
Anonymous
June 4, 2005 11:47:58 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

Old saying, "Water will find its own level".
Having a "strategy" to keep PC games alive will never work on a grass-roots
level.

I like PC gaming, but I wouldn't loose one minute of sleep over it fading
away forever.

Something will always be there to take its place.
"steamKILLER" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> x-no-archive: yes
>
> again the same view which i partially agree with...
>
> article in cnet
> "Xbox 360 and PS3: death to PC gaming?"
> By David Carnoy
> http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6449_7-6233821-1.html
>
> pc games are declining and we pc gamers must stop it
> if we still want to have pc games to play we must do our role
> which is support the platform by all means we got
>
> for me the role we must play is:
> . buy pc games for ourselves
> . buy pc games to give as gifts to friends and family
> . never copy pc games to others
> . never lend pc games to others
> . buy at least 1 pc game title a month
> . stay exclusive and faithful to pc games and don't support
> any kind of consoles or other gaming platforms
> . actively fight against things that damage pc games like
> piracy, microsoft attitude toward pc games and consoles
>
> support your favorite hobby! support pc games!
> long live pc games!
>
> --
> to check authenticity of the real "steamKILLER" reassure that
> the post came from a google server and that the email address
> is "sayNO2steam@yahoo.com"

June 4, 2005 1:32:16 PM

steamKILLER wrote:
> x-no-archive: yes
>
> again the same view which i partially agree with...
>
> article in cnet
> "Xbox 360 and PS3: death to PC gaming?"
> By David Carnoy
> http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6449_7-6233821-1.html
>
> pc games are declining and we pc gamers must stop it
> if we still want to have pc games to play we must do our role
> which is support the platform by all means we got
>
> for me the role we must play is:
> . buy pc games for ourselves
> . buy pc games to give as gifts to friends and family
> . never copy pc games to others
> . never lend pc games to others
> . buy at least 1 pc game title a month
> . stay exclusive and faithful to pc games and don't support
> any kind of consoles or other gaming platforms
> . actively fight against things that damage pc games like
> piracy, microsoft attitude toward pc games and consoles
>
> support your favorite hobby! support pc games!
> long live pc games!
>
> --
> to check authenticity of the real "steamKILLER" reassure that
> the post came from a google server and that the email address
> is "sayNO2steam@yahoo.com"

Everytime a new generation of consoles arrive (anyone remember 3DO?),
there have always been the prediction of pc gaming's demise. Hasn't
happened, yet. A month after the new XBox is out, PC's will regain the
technologicla edge.
Anonymous
June 4, 2005 1:35:44 PM

On 4 Jun 2005 02:43:01 -0700, "steamKILLER" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>article in cnet
>"Xbox 360 and PS3: death to PC gaming?"
>By David Carnoy
>http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6449_7-6233821-1.html

[snip]

You'd have a lot of interesting posts if it wasn't for your lunatic
commentary.

Tim
Anonymous
June 4, 2005 2:06:45 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"steamKILLER" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> x-no-archive: yes
>
> again the same view which i partially agree with...
>
> article in cnet
> "Xbox 360 and PS3: death to PC gaming?"
> By David Carnoy
> http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6449_7-6233821-1.html

Thanks for the article, but don't people always say that PC gaming will die
every time a new generation of consoles come out?

Although I very much like my Xbox because it opens up new gaming doors for
me, I'm not about to give up gaming on the PC. I like real-time strategy
games and nothing beats the combo of having a keyboard and mouse for those
sorts of games. While I have adapted quite well to first person shooters
with the Xbox controller, again, the keyboard and mouse combo is still
champ.

Anyway, I don't think PC gaming will die. A lot of console games are at
least ported over to the PC. While games for the PC are not the bread and
butter of sales, it does generate some extra revenue. It's clear to see
that the PC and consoles (particularly the Xbox) are not radically different
from one another in terms of internal components. Another thing the PC has
going for it from a consumer standpoint is that games generally drop in
price more quickly than their console counterparts. Sure, you fork out
extra bucks for PC hardware, but I reckon you'll gain a lot of that money
back given the prices of PC games versus console games. Of course, that
depends on how much patience you have and how many games you buy.

At the end of the day, I like having both a console and gaming PC.
Anonymous
June 4, 2005 3:53:57 PM

"steamKILLER" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> escribió en el mensaje
> x-no-archive: yes
>
> again the same view which i partially agree with...
>
> article in cnet
> "Xbox 360 and PS3: death to PC gaming?"
> By David Carnoy
> http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6449_7-6233821-1.html
>
> pc games are declining and we pc gamers must stop it
> if we still want to have pc games to play we must do our role
> which is support the platform by all means we got

you sound more like a 'pc games shareholder' than a player to me, and well
if pc gaming has to die, i got plenty of other things to do, its not a vital
issue to me!
Anonymous
June 4, 2005 5:10:15 PM

"Chris B." <nospam@xyxyxy.com> wrote in message
news:o LmdnV7PWNnCMDzfRVn-gg@comcast.com...
> steamKILLER wrote:
> > x-no-archive: yes
> >
> > again the same view which i partially agree with...
> >
> > article in cnet
> > "Xbox 360 and PS3: death to PC gaming?"
> > By David Carnoy
> > http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6449_7-6233821-1.html
> >
> > pc games are declining and we pc gamers must stop it
> > if we still want to have pc games to play we must do our role
> > which is support the platform by all means we got
> >
> > for me the role we must play is:
> > . buy pc games for ourselves
> > . buy pc games to give as gifts to friends and family
> > . never copy pc games to others
> > . never lend pc games to others
> > . buy at least 1 pc game title a month
> > . stay exclusive and faithful to pc games and don't support
> > any kind of consoles or other gaming platforms
> > . actively fight against things that damage pc games like
> > piracy, microsoft attitude toward pc games and consoles
> >
> > support your favorite hobby! support pc games!
> > long live pc games!
> >
> > --
> > to check authenticity of the real "steamKILLER" reassure that
> > the post came from a google server and that the email address
> > is "sayNO2steam@yahoo.com"
> >
> Everytime a new generation of consoles arrive (anyone remember 3DO?),
> there have always been the prediction of pc gaming's demise. Hasn't
> happened, yet. A month after the new XBox is out, PC's will regain the
> technologicla edge.

Clearly however, PC gaming is on a downward slope. As the consoles grow more
powerful, and their numbers greater and greater, the impetus for a company
to release a PC game that is anything other than a console port diminishes
greatly. I don't expect the market to die entirely, but I don't expect it to
get a lot better.
Anonymous
June 4, 2005 5:44:14 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

> Everytime a new generation of consoles arrive (anyone remember 3DO?),
> there have always been the prediction of pc gaming's demise. Hasn't
> happened, yet.

agreed.

>A month after the new XBox is out, PC's will regain
> the technologicla edge.

a month after?.. they already have ;)

--
DalienX
June 4, 2005 7:08:03 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"Chris B." <nospam@xyxyxy.com> wrote in message
news:o LmdnV7PWNnCMDzfRVn-gg@comcast.com...

> Everytime a new generation of consoles arrive (anyone remember 3DO?),
> there have always been the prediction of pc gaming's demise. Hasn't
> happened, yet. A month after the new XBox is out, PC's will regain the
> technologicla edge.

From what I see, every generation of consoles makes the PC section in the
stores smaller and smaller. I don't think anyone can deny that.

I do not think PC gaming will die, though - it might move to mostly an
online distribution of smaller titles, but it won't die.
Anonymous
June 4, 2005 7:08:04 PM

jwb wrote:

>"Chris B." <nospam@xyxyxy.com> wrote in message
>news:o LmdnV7PWNnCMDzfRVn-gg@comcast.com...
>

>>Everytime a new generation of consoles arrive (anyone remember 3DO?),
>>there have always been the prediction of pc gaming's demise. Hasn't
>>happened, yet. A month after the new XBox is out, PC's will regain the
>>technologicla edge.
>>

>From what I see, every generation of consoles makes the PC section in the
>stores smaller and smaller. I don't think anyone can deny that.

Not really. Consoles don't make the PC games fewer, the lack of decent
games does. They don't need someone else to blame for their failures,
they are cutting their own throats with lousy design, lousy
implementation, lousy service, high prices, and general
dissatisfaction. I could name half a dozen games in the last year that
I had once held high expectations for, some I beta'd, and all have
failed. I didn't buy any of them.

It's not a case of having not enough, either. Many of these failed
because they tried to have too much. I'm sorry, but the early days of
uo and quake are over, no one product can be everything to everyone,
dominate the market anymore (there being some competition now). Yet
every new game comes out trying to have everything. If they would
identify and select a reasonable target audience and serve them, they
could have their success, with a simpler development process that does
not need All Standard Features.

--
A sufficiently advanced computer network protective attitude is indistinguishable from paranoia.
Anonymous

On 4 Jun 2005 04:04:31 -0700, "Peter [AGHL]" <peter.aghl@gmail.com> wrote:

>steamKILLER wrote:
>
>> again the same view which i partially agree with...
>> article in cnet
>> "Xbox 360 and PS3: death to PC gaming?"
>> By David Carnoy
>> http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6449_7-6233821-1.html
>>
>If I can run my precious Steam on the new Xbox 360 I might consider
>this
>But on the other hand an XBox is nothing more or less than a challenged
>PC

I don't know about that. Have you seen the specs for GPUs it has? I would
imagine you would need some kind of SLI rig to compete with that and look how
much that would set you back for just the two cards.
Anonymous
June 4, 2005 9:40:49 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

On Sat, 4 Jun 2005 13:10:15 -0400, "Roger Christie"
<rochrist@<REMOVETOEMAIL>charter.net> wrote:

>"Chris B." <nospam@xyxyxy.com> wrote in message
>news:o LmdnV7PWNnCMDzfRVn-gg@comcast.com...
>> steamKILLER wrote:
>> > x-no-archive: yes
>> >
>> > again the same view which i partially agree with...
>> >
>> > article in cnet
>> > "Xbox 360 and PS3: death to PC gaming?"
>> > By David Carnoy
>> > http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6449_7-6233821-1.html
>> >
>> > pc games are declining and we pc gamers must stop it
>> > if we still want to have pc games to play we must do our role
>> > which is support the platform by all means we got
>> >
>> > for me the role we must play is:
>> > . buy pc games for ourselves
>> > . buy pc games to give as gifts to friends and family
>> > . never copy pc games to others
>> > . never lend pc games to others
>> > . buy at least 1 pc game title a month
>> > . stay exclusive and faithful to pc games and don't support
>> > any kind of consoles or other gaming platforms
>> > . actively fight against things that damage pc games like
>> > piracy, microsoft attitude toward pc games and consoles
>> >
>> > support your favorite hobby! support pc games!
>> > long live pc games!
>> >
>> > --
>> > to check authenticity of the real "steamKILLER" reassure that
>> > the post came from a google server and that the email address
>> > is "sayNO2steam@yahoo.com"
>> >
>> Everytime a new generation of consoles arrive (anyone remember 3DO?),
>> there have always been the prediction of pc gaming's demise. Hasn't
>> happened, yet. A month after the new XBox is out, PC's will regain the
>> technologicla edge.
>
>Clearly however, PC gaming is on a downward slope. As the consoles grow more
>powerful, and their numbers greater and greater, the impetus for a company
>to release a PC game that is anything other than a console port diminishes
>greatly. I don't expect the market to die entirely, but I don't expect it to
>get a lot better.

I don't have a problem with that as long as the console ports don't end up
being third person platformer/action games all the time. Hopefully the console
will evolve into something more than a toy for button mashers and the
controllers will change so that the games won't be designed around it.
Anonymous
June 4, 2005 9:40:50 PM

www.blackcatcrossing.net
"Memnoch" <memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> On Sat, 4 Jun 2005 13:10:15 -0400, "Roger Christie"
> <rochrist@<REMOVETOEMAIL>charter.net> wrote:
>
> >"Chris B." <nospam@xyxyxy.com> wrote in message
> >news:o LmdnV7PWNnCMDzfRVn-gg@comcast.com...

> >> Everytime a new generation of consoles arrive (anyone remember 3DO?),
> >> there have always been the prediction of pc gaming's demise. Hasn't
> >> happened, yet. A month after the new XBox is out, PC's will regain the
> >> technologicla edge.
> >
> >Clearly however, PC gaming is on a downward slope. As the consoles grow
more
> >powerful, and their numbers greater and greater, the impetus for a
company
> >to release a PC game that is anything other than a console port
diminishes
> >greatly. I don't expect the market to die entirely, but I don't expect it
> >get a lot better.
>
> I don't have a problem with that as long as the console ports don't end up
> being third person platformer/action games all the time. Hopefully the
console
> will evolve into something more than a toy for button mashers and the
> controllers will change so that the games won't be designed around it.

I do. Not for games that are the console's bread and butter. But for
strategy, rpg, simulations and the like, having something designed for the
console first is a major detriment. Interface issues DO matter.

I don't expeect the controllers to change significantly any time soon,
sadly.
June 4, 2005 9:43:04 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

On 4 Jun 2005 02:43:01 -0700, "steamKILLER" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com>
dared speak in front of ME:

>x-no-archive: yes
>
>again the same view which i partially agree with...
>
>article in cnet
>"Xbox 360 and PS3: death to PC gaming?"
>By David Carnoy
>http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6449_7-6233821-1.html
>
>pc games are declining and we pc gamers must stop it
>if we still want to have pc games to play we must do our role
>which is support the platform by all means we got
>
>for me the role we must play is:
>. buy pc games for ourselves
>. buy pc games to give as gifts to friends and family
>. never copy pc games to others
>. never lend pc games to others
>. buy at least 1 pc game title a month
>. stay exclusive and faithful to pc games and don't support
>any kind of consoles or other gaming platforms
>. actively fight against things that damage pc games like
>piracy, microsoft attitude toward pc games and consoles
>
>support your favorite hobby!

My hobby is gaming. Irrational loyalty to the platform rather than
the game does my hobby no favours.

--
Address no longer works.
try removing all numbers from

June 4, 2005 9:43:05 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

On Sat, 04 Jun 2005 09:35:44 -0400, Tim O <timo56@hotmail.com> dared
speak in front of ME:

>On 4 Jun 2005 02:43:01 -0700, "steamKILLER" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com>
>wrote:
>
>>article in cnet
>>"Xbox 360 and PS3: death to PC gaming?"
>>By David Carnoy
>>http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6449_7-6233821-1.html
>
>[snip]
>
>You'd have a lot of interesting posts if it wasn't for your lunatic
>commentary.

I disagree. If it weren't for the lunatic commentary, he wouldn't
have any posts at all.
--
Address no longer works.
try removing all numbers from
gafgirl1@2allstream3.net

June 4, 2005 9:48:57 PM

"Chris B." <nospam@xyxyxy.com> once tried to test me with:

> Everytime a new generation of consoles arrive (anyone remember 3DO?),
> there have always been the prediction of pc gaming's demise. Hasn't
> happened, yet. A month after the new XBox is out, PC's will regain the
> technologicla edge.

Into every generation, there is a Chosen Console. It alone will stand
against the PC's, the Macintoshes, and the forces of computing. It is the
PC Slayer.

<cue up cool ass Buffy intro music>

Once a Slayer, Always a Slayer.
Anonymous
June 4, 2005 10:52:21 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"steamKILLER" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> x-no-archive: yes
>
> again the same view which i partially agree with...
>
> article in cnet
> "Xbox 360 and PS3: death to PC gaming?"
> By David Carnoy
> http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6449_7-6233821-1.html
>
> pc games are declining and we pc gamers must stop it
> if we still want to have pc games to play we must do our role
> which is support the platform by all means we got
>
> for me the role we must play is:
> . buy pc games for ourselves
> . buy pc games to give as gifts to friends and family
> . never copy pc games to others
> . never lend pc games to others
> . buy at least 1 pc game title a month
> . stay exclusive and faithful to pc games and don't support
> any kind of consoles or other gaming platforms
> . actively fight against things that damage pc games like
> piracy, microsoft attitude toward pc games and consoles
>
> support your favorite hobby! support pc games!
> long live pc games!
>
> --
> to check authenticity of the real "steamKILLER" reassure that
> the post came from a google server and that the email address
> is "sayNO2steam@yahoo.com"

Won't steam help against PC game piracy? Being interested in CRPGs, I don't
own HL2, and I'm not intimately familiar with steam. However, it seems to
me that steam fights piracy and allows more financial rewards to go to the
developers instead of the publisher.

> . buy pc games for ourselves
AFAIK, steam allows this.

> . buy pc games to give as gifts to friends and family
AFAIK, steam allows this.

> . never copy pc games to others
AFAIK, steam attempts to enforce this. Good no?

> . never lend pc games to others
AFAIK, steam attempts to enforce this. Good no?

> support your favorite hobby! support pc games!
> long live pc games!
So, since steam seems in line with stopping pirating of PC games, what do
you have against it? If NWN/TES4 (upcoming CRPGs) came out with steam, why
should I NOT buy them, and NOT support the devlopers, who made such a large
investment in money and time?

fight4liberty

June 4, 2005 11:13:47 PM

Quaestor <no.spam@my.place> once tried to test me with:

> It's not a case of having not enough, either. Many of these failed
> because they tried to have too much. I'm sorry, but the early days of
> uo and quake are over, no one product can be everything to everyone,
> dominate the market anymore (there being some competition now). Yet
> every new game comes out trying to have everything. If they would
> identify and select a reasonable target audience and serve them, they
> could have their success, with a simpler development process that does
> not need All Standard Features

I agree with you here. Why are there no more RPGs that target the core RPG
market? We all might be older now but we didn't die off (yet) and there's
still a ton of us who want party-based, turn-based RPGs with decent
graphics and most importantly a good plot and good role-play potential. But
you don't see any of that. And I could live with real-time with pause if
they want to try and do a BG2-type game. Yes, this is a niche market, but
it's a niche market starving for a good game, there's bound to be a lot of
people buy it as long as it's GOOD.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.
Anonymous
June 4, 2005 11:48:00 PM

Thusly Memnoch <memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> Spake Unto
All:

>I don't know about that. Have you seen the specs for GPUs it has? I would
>imagine you would need some kind of SLI rig to compete with that and look how
>much that would set you back for just the two cards.

Don't believe the hype.
Anonymous
June 4, 2005 11:48:01 PM

On Sat, 04 Jun 2005 19:48:00 +0200, Mean_Chlorine
<mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>Thusly Memnoch <memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> Spake Unto
>All:
>
>>I don't know about that. Have you seen the specs for GPUs it has? I would
>>imagine you would need some kind of SLI rig to compete with that and look how
>>much that would set you back for just the two cards.
>
>Don't believe the hype.

On paper it looks pretty amazing but I will never buy another console until
they get to the point where they stop making concessions on the games they
write for it based on the predominant controller in use and the consoles
architecture.
Anonymous
June 5, 2005 1:47:34 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

[Removed alt.games.half-life from crossposts]

On Sat, 04 Jun 2005 17:38:54 GMT, Memnoch
<memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> wrote:

>On 4 Jun 2005 04:04:31 -0700, "Peter [AGHL]" <peter.aghl@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>steamKILLER wrote:
>>
>>> again the same view which i partially agree with...
>>> article in cnet
>>> "Xbox 360 and PS3: death to PC gaming?"
>>> By David Carnoy
>>> http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6449_7-6233821-1.html
>>>
>>If I can run my precious Steam on the new Xbox 360 I might consider
>>this
>>But on the other hand an XBox is nothing more or less than a challenged
>>PC
>
>I don't know about that. Have you seen the specs for GPUs it has?

http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1986
Custom ATI Graphics Processor
- 500 MNz
- 10 MB embedded DRAM
- 48-way parallel floating-point shader pipelines
- unified shader architecture

This seems like a standard video card, with the exception that it is a
prototype at this stage. A similar thing will follow shortly for PC/MAC or
another graphics development platform - the multimedia producers would want
a powerful graphics card like that as well.

For comparison, the current generation of PC cards is summarised here:
http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20050524/index...

Offhand, the only two visible differences is the rendering pipelines and
the shader system.
Anonymous
June 5, 2005 3:27:16 AM

"NightSky 421" <nightsky421@yahoo.ca> once tried to test me with:

> I have to agree. I did notice that EA's hockey games seem somewhat
> more difficult on the Xbox as opposed to the PC, but generally
> speaking, sports gaming in my experience has been a real blast on the
> Xbox. Action and fighting games are cool and I enjoy playing Knockout
> Kings 2002 on the Xbox.

I don't play sports games, but if I did, I'd play it on a console. Because
to me the only time they are fun is when you have buddies over and are all
playing against each other or in teams or sometimes co-op vs the AI. That's
where the console sports games are better, because of the better
multiplayer setup for them. I also played some sports games over the
internet on my PS2 a few times and that was much more fun than playing
against the AI opponent.

I haven't bought a sports title for the PC since Madden 98, and I'm sure
they're better now, but it always seems like the console controller is just
about perfect for sports games. Golf is one sports game on the PC though
that was always a lot of fun. The increased resolution always looks very
nice.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.
Anonymous
June 5, 2005 3:42:08 AM

Memnoch <memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> once tried to test
me with:

> On paper it looks pretty amazing but I will never buy another console
> until they get to the point where they stop making concessions on the
> games they write for it based on the predominant controller in use and
> the consoles architecture.

They do that for the PC too, you know.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.
Anonymous
June 5, 2005 5:03:37 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"Chris B." <nospam@xyxyxy.com> wrote in message
news:o LmdnV7PWNnCMDzfRVn-gg@comcast.com...
> Everytime a new generation of consoles arrive (anyone remember 3DO?),
> there have always been the prediction of pc gaming's demise. Hasn't
> happened, yet. A month after the new XBox is out, PC's will regain the
> technologicla edge.

It's not just technology. If technology were the only thing driving
consoles and gaming, the Playstation and PS2 wouldn't have done so well.
The PSX was actually outdated technologically the moment it hit North
American shores, it's just the competition was nonexistant for a few
years... yet it had a long, successful life.

Now, I do have a problem with the articles contention that gaming PC's
cost 2000 dollars. Not really.. not unless you buy from Alienware, and
there's nothing particularly special about a gaming PC, other than it should
have a decent graphics card. In that "gaming PC", is going to be alot of
fluff like a big flatscreen monitor and 5-7.1 speakers, none of which is
required for PC gaming to even be enjoyable (I only use headphones or 2.1
speakers, and I bought a flatscreen monitor mostly to save power- it's not
large or expensive). OTOH, most console fanatics don't lump in that price
of that HDTV or 5.1 sound system... yet they are comparing it to similarly
"high end" PC rigs.

The real truth is that you can build a high end gaming PC for around 800
dollars or less (assuming you need a hard drive and all that other stuff,
and not just taking it from your old computer), or have somebody else build
it, somebody indepedent and not having deep advertising budgets. But most
people are unwilling to do this, and hence the ultimate problem with PC
gaming- a much smaller audience . Most Americans aren't intelligent enough,
or are to lazy to to even check the air pressure in their tires, let alone
put in a new motherboard in their PC. The console market can feed into this
relatively easy, as everything is already packaged together at a low price.

Another problem I see with PC gaming is a slow withering of PC gamings
spirit and vitality. This might actually be a side effect of the increased
popularity of consoles, though. Developers cannot afford to make risky, low
profit PC games anymore, perhaps. To be sure, developers do make alot of
games for the PC, but very often they are multi-platform affairs, ported
from the console.

I've been a long time PC gamer, but lately I'm enjoying the consoles alot
more- I own a PS2. There are some games that are clearly better on the PC,
and strategy gaming on the PC is still much better than on the consoles, but
in the end I see more and more of my gaming time going to the PS2 and not
the PC.
Anonymous
June 5, 2005 5:09:51 AM

"Roger Christie charter.net>" <rochrist@<REMOVETOEMAIL> wrote in message
> Clearly however, PC gaming is on a downward slope. As the consoles grow
more
> powerful, and their numbers greater and greater, the impetus for a company
> to release a PC game that is anything other than a console port diminishes
> greatly. I don't expect the market to die entirely, but I don't expect it
> get a lot better.

I agree. As somebody who owns both, I'm a bit sad to see the PC
declining, but OTOH I don't feel that gaming itself is in peril. One thing
I would like to see is PC developers focus on games that show the PC's
strengths, and not simply ape consoles. That means games oriented towards
more niche audiences. It's a real pitty that Microsoft, for instance,
cancelled Train Simulator 2. That's a game that really would never sell on
consoles, but would have alot of fans on the PC. Likewise, simulators of
all kinds, first person action games, and strategy games should all have
increased emphasis on the PC by developers.
Anonymous
June 5, 2005 5:13:45 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

The next XBox 360 is definitely going to be a step away from the PC. It
won't have an internal hard drive, for instance. The processor is also
more akin to something in a Mac than a PC. Rumor has it that Sony's PS3
also won't have an internal hard drive.
Anonymous
June 5, 2005 10:39:09 AM

Mean_Chlorine <mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>Don't believe the hype.

The specs are real. This $300 box has a nextgen ATI graphics card you
can't even buy yet, and 3 PPC CPUs.

Joe
Anonymous
June 5, 2005 10:42:01 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"Chris B." <nospam@xyxyxy.com> wrote:

>Everytime a new generation of consoles arrive (anyone remember 3DO?),
>there have always been the prediction of pc gaming's demise. Hasn't
>happened, yet.

Saying that something hasn't happened before, and therefore will not
happen, is not a cogent argument.

>A month after the new XBox is out, PC's will regain the
>technologicla edge.

Nope, will take much longer this time. There has never been a
technological leap of this much power difference from one generation
of consoles to the next. Not only that but the former advantages of PC
(high resolution, mouse and keyboard support) will no longer exist.

Joe
Anonymous
June 5, 2005 10:44:41 AM

Knight37 <knight37m@gmail.com> wrote:

>I agree with you here. Why are there no more RPGs that target the core RPG
>market? We all might be older now but we didn't die off (yet) and there's
>still a ton of us who want party-based, turn-based RPGs with decent
>graphics and most importantly a good plot and good role-play potential.

Because PC gamers also demand cutting-edge graphics that fully utilize
their high-end rigs. That costs money. The games cost $5 - $10 million
to make. So smaller genres like RPG don't get made as much. (This
isn't just a PC phenomenon though, consoles have the same problem.)

Joe
Anonymous
June 5, 2005 10:46:31 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

Memnoch <memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> wrote:

>I don't have a problem with that as long as the console ports don't end up
>being third person platformer/action games all the time. Hopefully the console
>will evolve into something more than a toy for button mashers and the
>controllers will change so that the games won't be designed around it.

Valid points. I hear the XBox 360 will support wireless mouse/keyboard
out of the box, so hopefully at least FPS games and MMOs and such will
play better.

Joe
Anonymous
June 5, 2005 1:56:39 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

Memnoch wrote:

> I don't know about that. Have you seen the specs for GPUs it has? I would
> imagine you would need some kind of SLI rig to compete with that and look how
> much that would set you back for just the two cards.

I don't expect to have a state of the art GPU in a console thing
How many months do we have after the HW design is settled and the
console hits the streets?
More than a few months in my opinion
With the rate of new videocards from both ATI and Nvidia I'll expect no
more than a year before high end gaming rigs is well ahead of any
console

>From the linked article
"if next-generation consoles represent the best that Nvidia and ATI can
do at the time when those consoles launch, you'll still be able to
count on PC hardware surpassing the PS3 and the Xbox 360 within a few
years."

Considering that the top end cards of today costs way more than a
console :)
Anonymous
June 5, 2005 2:58:11 PM

Joe62 wrote:

> The specs are real. This $300 box has a nextgen ATI graphics card you
> can't even buy yet, and 3 PPC CPUs.

This "nextgen ATI graphics card you can't even buy yet" is very similar
to the ATI X700 GPU...

Benjamin
Anonymous
June 5, 2005 3:09:08 PM

On Sun, 05 Jun 2005 06:46:31 GMT, Joe62 <NOSPAMjmcginn@shaw.ca> wrote:

>Memnoch <memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
>>I don't have a problem with that as long as the console ports don't end up
>>being third person platformer/action games all the time. Hopefully the console
>>will evolve into something more than a toy for button mashers and the
>>controllers will change so that the games won't be designed around it.
>
>Valid points. I hear the XBox 360 will support wireless mouse/keyboard
>out of the box, so hopefully at least FPS games and MMOs and such will
>play better.

And maybe, just maybe we will get a better crop of ported games. I just want
to see an end of these games where you can just look at the interface and tell
what its orgins were.
Anonymous
June 5, 2005 3:15:09 PM

In article <11a3uchc9vth920@news.supernews.com>,
Quaestor <no.spam@my.place> wrote:
>jwb wrote:
>
>>"Chris B." <nospam@xyxyxy.com> wrote in message
>>news:o LmdnV7PWNnCMDzfRVn-gg@comcast.com...
>>

>>>Everytime a new generation of consoles arrive (anyone remember 3DO?),
>>>there have always been the prediction of pc gaming's demise. Hasn't
>>>happened, yet. A month after the new XBox is out, PC's will regain the
>>>technologicla edge.
>>>

>>From what I see, every generation of consoles makes the PC section in the
>>stores smaller and smaller. I don't think anyone can deny that.
>>

>Not really. Consoles don't make the PC games fewer, the lack of decent
>games does. They don't need someone else to blame for their failures,
>they are cutting their own throats with lousy design, lousy
>implementation, lousy service, high prices, and general
>dissatisfaction. I could name half a dozen games in the last year that
>I had once held high expectations for, some I beta'd, and all have
>failed. I didn't buy any of them.
>
>It's not a case of having not enough, either. Many of these failed
>because they tried to have too much. I'm sorry, but the early days of
>uo and quake are over, no one product can be everything to everyone,
>dominate the market anymore (there being some competition now). Yet
>every new game comes out trying to have everything. If they would
>identify and select a reasonable target audience and serve them, they
>could have their success, with a simpler development process that does
>not need All Standard Features.

Features have always been a problem in OS development, too.
You can't implement everything and have to choose. It appears
that games people tried to satify all complaints. I've
noticed that gamers here have to have graphics (not the old
styles), sounds, romances, personalities in each
character, and other unbelievable demands. IOW, you stopped
wanting an RPG and wanted a soap opera that allowed you to
be a virtual character. The product morphed into something
that is not an RPG but an interactive movie, Hollywood style.

/BAH

Subtract a hundred and four for e-mail.
Anonymous
June 5, 2005 3:15:10 PM

jmfbahciv@aol.com wrote:

>Features have always been a problem in OS development, too.
>You can't implement everything and have to choose. It appears
>that games people tried to satify all complaints. I've
>noticed that gamers here have to have graphics (not the old
>styles), sounds, romances, personalities in each
>character, and other unbelievable demands. IOW, you stopped
>wanting an RPG and wanted a soap opera that allowed you to
>be a virtual character. The product morphed into something
>that is not an RPG but an interactive movie, Hollywood style.

I presume "you" is generic? I never asked for any of that. The last
interactive movie I saw was in ... 1997, and I didn't like it then.

I seriously want MMORPG along the lines of Dragon Empires, or Dark &
Light, factional consensual pvp, and all the lives that are behind that,
the explorer, the crafter, etc. I do Not need the latest DirX gimmick
(I don't care if the clouds are particles or transparent shaders), I
don't need everything that everyone else wants, I don't want a long
leveling process, I don't want a system that rewards griefers, I just
want something to play, which I will be able to play for years, as I did
uo before they totally wrecked it.

crossposts removed

--
A sufficiently advanced computer network protective attitude is indistinguishable from paranoia.
Anonymous
June 5, 2005 3:23:27 PM

On 4 Jun 2005 23:27:16 GMT, Knight37 <knight37m@gmail.com> wrote:

>"NightSky 421" <nightsky421@yahoo.ca> once tried to test me with:
>
>> I have to agree. I did notice that EA's hockey games seem somewhat
>> more difficult on the Xbox as opposed to the PC, but generally
>> speaking, sports gaming in my experience has been a real blast on the
>> Xbox. Action and fighting games are cool and I enjoy playing Knockout
>> Kings 2002 on the Xbox.
>
>I don't play sports games, but if I did, I'd play it on a console. Because
>to me the only time they are fun is when you have buddies over and are all
>playing against each other or in teams or sometimes co-op vs the AI. That's
>where the console sports games are better, because of the better
>multiplayer setup for them.

Actually, consoles just have a simpler multiplayer setup - four controllers
get plugged into one node, and it becomes an instant multiplayer platform.

The PC platform has a better multiplayer system because it supports more
features overall (e.g. XFire, which allows tracking and talking with
friends, even when the two players are in seperate games.) However, it's
more complex and is rarely used to it's full potential (as most multiplayer
PC games do not code support hot-seat play - the only two I'm aware of are
Serious Sam and Big Kahuna Reef.)
Anonymous
June 5, 2005 3:33:03 PM

On 4 Jun 2005 23:42:08 GMT, Knight37 <knight37m@gmail.com> wrote:

>Memnoch <memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> once tried to test
>me with:
>
>> On paper it looks pretty amazing but I will never buy another console
>> until they get to the point where they stop making concessions on the
>> games they write for it based on the predominant controller in use and
>> the consoles architecture.
>
>They do that for the PC too, you know.

I suppose they do but at least our controllers are more versatile than the
average console controller. Mouse and keyboard will be with us for a long
time.
Anonymous
June 5, 2005 4:16:19 PM

On Sun, 05 Jun 05 11:15:09 GMT, jmfbahciv@aol.com wrote in message
<-7mdnfnoz_MsYT_fRVn-gg@rcn.net>:

>Features have always been a problem in OS development, too.
>You can't implement everything and have to choose. It appears
>that games people tried to satify all complaints. I've
>noticed that gamers here have to have graphics (not the old
>styles), sounds, romances, personalities in each
>character, and other unbelievable demands. IOW, you stopped
>wanting an RPG and wanted a soap opera that allowed you to
>be a virtual character. The product morphed into something
>that is not an RPG but an interactive movie, Hollywood style.

Those things you listed -- sounds, romances, and individual character
personalities are all things present in a real RPG. That is, a
honest-to-goodness pen and paper RPG with real people. For those who
have played real RPGs with real live people (*gasp*) it's simply a
matter of available computer technology finally being able to catch up
somewhat with the real thing.

It's not that some players "stopped wanting an RPG" but rather they've
always wanted more than what the past technological limitations of the
CRPG could give them.

Of course, it's unfortunate that the market for CRPGs has never been
large, and that its commercial viability may very well die before
technology finally can catch up with providing a good approximation of a
real pen and paper game.

--
A: Because it disturbs the logical flow of a message.
Q: Why is top posting a sloppy form of writing?

"Joe62" <NOSPAMjmcginn@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> "Chris B." <nospam@xyxyxy.com> wrote:
>

>> Everytime a new generation of consoles arrive (anyone remember 3DO?),
>> there have always been the prediction of pc gaming's demise. Hasn't
>> happened, yet.
>
> Saying that something hasn't happened before, and therefore will not
> happen, is not a cogent argument.
>
>> A month after the new XBox is out, PC's will regain the
>> technologicla edge.
>
> Nope, will take much longer this time. There has never been a
> technological leap of this much power difference from one generation
> of consoles to the next. Not only that but the former advantages of PC
> (high resolution, mouse and keyboard support) will no longer exist.
>
> Joe

Sitting here, blinking, looking in amazement at that statement....on an
19" LCD monitor in 1280x1024 plugged into the DVI port of a GF6800GT.
As good as all those HDTV's look at Circuit City there is not a one of
them that come close to the image quality of this PC. The PC does
enjoy one advantage no console can claim yet: pure versatility.
McG.
Anonymous
June 5, 2005 7:07:06 PM

Memnoch wrote:

> If the specs on paper actually give the performance they suggest I
> don't think there is a PC card out there right now except maybe a
> dual SLI setup that could compare.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox360/factsheet.htm
Hmm
10Mb embedded RAM compared to 256Mb on eg ATI X850
And the XBox comes with only 512Mb memory
June 5, 2005 7:45:52 PM

Joe62 wrote:
> "Chris B." <nospam@xyxyxy.com> wrote:
>

>>Everytime a new generation of consoles arrive (anyone remember 3DO?),
>>there have always been the prediction of pc gaming's demise. Hasn't
>>happened, yet.
>

> Saying that something hasn't happened before, and therefore will not
> happen, is not a cogent argument.
>

>>A month after the new XBox is out, PC's will regain the
>>technologicla edge.
>

> Nope, will take much longer this time. There has never been a
> technological leap of this much power difference from one generation
> of consoles to the next. Not only that but the former advantages of PC
> (high resolution, mouse and keyboard support) will no longer exist.

And the main advantage IMHO will still exsit i.e. the range of games are
just much better on a PC.

> Joe
Anonymous
June 5, 2005 8:32:53 PM

Magnulus wrote:

> Now, I do have a problem with the articles contention that gaming
> PC's cost 2000 dollars. Not really.. not unless you buy from
> Alienware, and there's nothing particularly special about a gaming
> PC, other than it should have a decent graphics card. In that
> "gaming PC", is going to be alot of fluff like a big flatscreen
> monitor and 5-7.1 speakers, none of which is required for PC gaming
> to even be enjoyable (I only use headphones or 2.1 speakers, and I
> bought a flatscreen monitor mostly to save power- it's not large or
> expensive). OTOH, most console fanatics don't lump in that price of
> that HDTV or 5.1 sound system... yet they are comparing it to
> similarly "high end" PC rigs.
>
> The real truth is that you can build a high end gaming PC for
> around 800 dollars or less (assuming you need a hard drive and all
> that other stuff, and not just taking it from your old computer

....and your $800 will buy you a lot more in June 2006. The author seems to
be making no allowance for this and comparing today's PC with a Console that
comes out in a year.
June 5, 2005 8:32:54 PM

Angof wrote:
> Magnulus wrote:
>
>> Now, I do have a problem with the articles contention that gaming
>>PC's cost 2000 dollars. Not really.. not unless you buy from
>>Alienware, and there's nothing particularly special about a gaming
>>PC, other than it should have a decent graphics card. In that
>>"gaming PC", is going to be alot of fluff like a big flatscreen
>>monitor and 5-7.1 speakers, none of which is required for PC gaming
>>to even be enjoyable (I only use headphones or 2.1 speakers, and I
>>bought a flatscreen monitor mostly to save power- it's not large or
>>expensive). OTOH, most console fanatics don't lump in that price of
>>that HDTV or 5.1 sound system... yet they are comparing it to
>>similarly "high end" PC rigs.
>>
>> The real truth is that you can build a high end gaming PC for
>>around 800 dollars or less (assuming you need a hard drive and all
>>that other stuff, and not just taking it from your old computer
>

> ...and your $800 will buy you a lot more in June 2006. The author seems to
> be making no allowance for this and comparing today's PC with a Console that
> comes out in a year.

Be a bit of a boring article then wouldn't it. Has all the hallmarks of
deceide the headline then find the 'facts' that support it.
Anonymous
June 5, 2005 8:53:05 PM

"Magnulus" <magnulus@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> Rumor has it that Sony's PS3
>also won't have an internal hard drive.

Latest rumors I've heard are the reverse - that both consoles will
ship with hard-drives. The XBox 360 has to in fact, since they've
promised backwards compatibility.

Joe
Anonymous
June 5, 2005 9:28:05 PM

JAB wrote:
> Joe62 wrote:
>> "Chris B." <nospam@xyxyxy.com> wrote:
>>

>>> Everytime a new generation of consoles arrive (anyone remember
>>> 3DO?), there have always been the prediction of pc gaming's demise.
>>> Hasn't happened, yet.
>>

>> Saying that something hasn't happened before, and therefore will not
>> happen, is not a cogent argument.
>>

>>> A month after the new XBox is out, PC's will regain the
>>> technologicla edge.
>>

>> Nope, will take much longer this time. There has never been a
>> technological leap of this much power difference from one generation
>> of consoles to the next. Not only that but the former advantages of
>> PC (high resolution, mouse and keyboard support) will no longer
>> exist.
>>
> And the main advantage IMHO will still exsit i.e. the range of games
> are just much better on a PC.
>
>> Joe

I just think they are two different markets and will continue to be so.
There are also interesting developments in PC gear happening. Here's an
example.

http://hardware.gamespot.com/Story-ST-x-1610-x-x-x
Anonymous
June 5, 2005 11:07:15 PM

Memnoch <memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> once tried to test
me with:

>>> On paper it looks pretty amazing but I will never buy another
>>> console until they get to the point where they stop making
>>> concessions on the games they write for it based on the predominant
>>> controller in use and the consoles architecture.
>>
>>They do that for the PC too, you know.
>
> I suppose they do but at least our controllers are more versatile than
> the average console controller. Mouse and keyboard will be with us for
> a long time.

YOu're only saying that because that's what you are accustomed to using. If
you were a console junkie you'd be preaching that the duel-shock controller
is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.
Anonymous
June 5, 2005 11:55:00 PM

Knight37 wrote:

>>> They do that for the PC too, you know.
>>
>> I suppose they do but at least our controllers are more versatile
>> than the average console controller. Mouse and keyboard will be with
>> us for a long time.
>>
> YOu're only saying that because that's what you are accustomed to
> using. If you were a console junkie you'd be preaching that the
> duel-shock controller is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Yup, plus the fact that being more "versatile" doesnt necessarily mean
better or more confortable to use.

I'm primarily a pc gamer but am just as confortable with a gamepad and
enjoy console gaming just as much (rpg's for the most part on the ps2).

They're 2 very different beasts altogether and find the partisan, side
taking arguments over those quite absurd and pointless.
Anonymous
June 6, 2005 1:16:46 AM

On 5 Jun 2005 19:07:15 GMT, Knight37 <knight37m@gmail.com> wrote:

>Memnoch <memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> once tried to test
>me with:

>>>They do that for the PC too, you know.
>>
>> I suppose they do but at least our controllers are more versatile than
>> the average console controller. Mouse and keyboard will be with us for
>> a long time.
>>

>YOu're only saying that because that's what you are accustomed to using. If
>you were a console junkie you'd be preaching that the duel-shock controller
>is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

I might be but I would be wrong. Compare how many keys a keyboard has to a
console controller. Which one is more versatile again? That just goes to show
how brainwashed console users can be? :-)
June 6, 2005 1:16:56 AM

Knight37 wrote:
> Memnoch <memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> once tried to test
> me with:

>>>They do that for the PC too, you know.
>>
>>I suppose they do but at least our controllers are more versatile than
>>the average console controller. Mouse and keyboard will be with us for
>>a long time.
>>

> YOu're only saying that because that's what you are accustomed to using. If
> you were a console junkie you'd be preaching that the duel-shock controller
> is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Just finished playing another session of Silent Hunter III, not sure the
duel-shock controller/toaster/teas maid or whatever it is, would be much
use for that ... :-)
!