Is this a good NG to ask for help with Nikon 5700 flash pr..

Hi, all.

I just heard about this news group today and I'm not sure
I'm in the right place or not to try to get help on a
problem that is really bugging me.

I have a 3-month-old Nikon 5700 that works fine outdoors but
pretty dismal with the Speedlight and a Vivitar 728 external
flash.

If this is the place for this kind of question, I'll post
details of my problems and post some examples to some binary
NG.

Thanks in advance.

--
Jerry Rivers

"All Things Mopar" <myob@nospam.non> wrote in message
> Hi, all.
>
> I just heard about this news group today and I'm not sure
> I'm in the right place or not to try to get help on a
> problem that is really bugging me.
>
> I have a 3-month-old Nikon 5700 that works fine outdoors but
> pretty dismal with the Speedlight and a Vivitar 728 external
> flash.
>
> If this is the place for this kind of question, I'll post
> details of my problems and post some examples to some binary
> NG.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> --
> Jerry Rivers

Flash exposure depends on the distance from the flash to the subject, the
aperture and ISO. Shutter speed is not a big factor, except in the case of a
focal plane shutter, which a lot of 35mm cameras had. Keep the shutter speed
above 1/60 to minimize camera shake.

Flash distance says max distance for Nikon 5700 built-in flash is 9-13 feet
depending on wide or tele.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikoncp5700/page2.asp

Vivitar 728 Zoom for Nikon AF.
http://www.adorama.com/VV728NKAF.html?searchinfo=vivitar%20728&item_no=3

The Vivitar 728 has a Guide number of 92 at ISO 100.
The Nikon 5700 has a max aperture of f2.8, so the max distance is

GN/F= Distance in feet. or GN/D=F where D=Distance in feet.
GN= Guide Number
F=aperture (f number)
92/2.8=32 ft

If the Nikon 5700 is set on aperture priority, ISO 100 and the aperture is
set at 2.8, then you should get good exposure at up to 32 feet with Wide.

Tele is F4.2, so
92/4.2=21 ft.
The max distance Tele is 21 feet at f4.2 ISO 100. Nikon 5700 set to aperture
priority, ISO 100.

You can get greater distance with flash if you raise the ISO.

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

CSM1 commented courteously ...

> Flash exposure depends on the distance from the flash to
> the subject, the aperture and ISO. Shutter speed is not a
> big factor, except in the case of a focal plane shutter,
> which a lot of 35mm cameras had. Keep the shutter speed
> above 1/60 to minimize camera shake.
>
> Flash distance says max distance for Nikon 5700 built-in
> flash is 9-13 feet depending on wide or tele.
> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikoncp5700/page2.asp
>

> Vivitar 728 Zoom for Nikon AF.
> http://www.adorama.com/VV728NKAF.html?searchinfo=vivitar%
207
> 28&item_no=3
>
> The Vivitar 728 has a Guide number of 92 at ISO 100.
> The Nikon 5700 has a max aperture of f2.8, so the max
> distance is
>
> GN/F= Distance in feet. or GN/D=F where D=Distance in
feet.
> GN= Guide Number
> F=aperture (f number)
> 92/2.8=32 ft
>
> If the Nikon 5700 is set on aperture priority, ISO 100 and
> the aperture is set at 2.8, then you should get good
> exposure at up to 32 feet with Wide.
>
> Tele is F4.2, so
> 92/4.2=21 ft.
> The max distance Tele is 21 feet at f4.2 ISO 100. Nikon
> 5700 set to aperture priority, ISO 100.

Thanks, for the Vivitar link, CSM. I'm aware of the things
you put in your reply. I posted a much more detailed
description of my problem(s) this morning and what I've done
so far to fix it.

Distance is *not* the problem with either the Speedlight or
my Vivitar. A higher ISO won't help at all, since I'm
shooting well within the ranges of these flashes at 100,
plus my experience with my 5700 is that anything about ISO
200 makes my pictures look like they were painted on beach
sand, the noise is so bad.

I believe that something in the 5700 is incorrectly
interpreting the reflected light from either flash, which I
think is the only determining factor in exposure with a
5700.

BTW, I'm using Programmed Auto but, to my knowledge, that
isn't a factor either, as the 5700 locks the shutter at
1/125 and the aperture to wide open when it is in flash
mode.

--
Jerry