DVD loss of color quality from original tapes -- MPEG-2 to..

I'm a little disappointed at the evident loss of color quality from a
DVD that I burned over the weekend. I am using Roxio's Easy Media
Creator 7 under Windows XP. Perhaps there are some settings that will
get better results? Here's what I did:

1) Used by new Sony Digital9 Handycam to play back an eight year old
8mm analog tape, saving the new AVI file to my hard drive.

2) Did some minor editing and title additions using Videowave

3) Shortened the one hour of video so it would fit on one DVD disk and
created some chapter headings

4) Burned an ISO file to my hard drive, and then burned a DVD

5) Played back the DVD on my TV using what the default settings (which
I think is highest quality). I do know one hour of video just about
filled up the DVD

When viewing on my TV, the indoor pictures were generally OK but the
outside pictures were disappointing. Green grass looked washed out,
blue skies were noticably less "blue" than their originals, etc. I
have a lot of old 8mm analog tapes to convert and I was hoping to use
DVD as an archive. I suppose I lost some quality in the Sony
analog-to-digital conversion but I think most of the degradation is
coming from the MPEG-2 conversion? If this is happening, why are
professional DVDs, which also use MPEG-2, so colorful and picture
perfect?

All help appreciated, thanks,
Paul Pinella
pjpinella(at)hotmail.com

I have a Sony TRV-740 and found that if I play 8mm analog tapes with it, the
colors are more washed out than if I play the 8mm tape from the original
camera used to record it. I passthrough the analog feed from the old camera
through the Sony to the PC. The color is better.

Jack Hackney, Jr.

"Paul Pinella" <pjpinella@hotmail.com> schreef in bericht
> I'm a little disappointed at the evident loss of color quality from a
> DVD that I burned over the weekend. I am using Roxio's Easy Media
> Creator 7 under Windows XP. Perhaps there are some settings that will
> get better results? Here's what I did:
>
> 1) Used by new Sony Digital9 Handycam to play back an eight year old
> 8mm analog tape, saving the new AVI file to my hard drive.
>
> 2) Did some minor editing and title additions using Videowave
>
> 3) Shortened the one hour of video so it would fit on one DVD disk and
> created some chapter headings
>
> 4) Burned an ISO file to my hard drive, and then burned a DVD
>
> 5) Played back the DVD on my TV using what the default settings (which
> I think is highest quality). I do know one hour of video just about
> filled up the DVD
>
> When viewing on my TV, the indoor pictures were generally OK but the
> outside pictures were disappointing. Green grass looked washed out,
> blue skies were noticably less "blue" than their originals, etc. I
> have a lot of old 8mm analog tapes to convert and I was hoping to use
> DVD as an archive. I suppose I lost some quality in the Sony
> analog-to-digital conversion but I think most of the degradation is
> coming from the MPEG-2 conversion? If this is happening, why are
> professional DVDs, which also use MPEG-2, so colorful and picture
> perfect?

Paul,

This may be a problem connected with the colour space used. The CCIR601 TV
standard uses values of 16 to 235 as white to black instead of 0 to 255 as
in YCbCr. I don't know the software you have been using and by which program
you did the conversion from AVI to MPEG-2. However, I know at least two
MPEG-2 encoders (TMPGEnc and Mainconcept) where this standard can be set. I
initially had the same problem (washed out colours) and choosing the correct
setting solved it.
--
Lou van Wijhe
jl.vanwijhe@hccnet.nl