DVD format

The only option I have when I click, file, save as is the " *.mswmm" format.
My understanding is to play the movie in a DVD player I need the option to
save in the DV-AVI format. How is this accomplished?
8 answers Last reply
More about format

    Use the Save to My Computer option. You are currently saving only the
    Project.
    www.coribright.com

    "target3" <target3@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > The only option I have when I click, file, save as is the " *.mswmm"
    > format.
    > My understanding is to play the movie in a DVD player I need the option to
    > save in the DV-AVI format. How is this accomplished?

    Cari, Thanks. Basically you can do anything but edit until you save it to
    disc.

    I saved it in DVI format but my home DVD player couldn't read it. Do you
    know how to save it so that my home DVD player can read it?

    "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > Use the Save to My Computer option. You are currently saving only the
    > Project.
    > www.coribright.com
    >
    > "target3" <target3@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > The only option I have when I click, file, save as is the " *.mswmm"
    > > format.
    > > My understanding is to play the movie in a DVD player I need the option to
    > > save in the DV-AVI format. How is this accomplished?

    My home CD player says, "no play". I see my home DVD player supports: MP3,
    TVG, Kodak picuter CD.

    I opened the project in MS movie maker. Chose save in DV-DVI format. Then I
    used Roxio to burn the file to a CD-R.

    What else could I try?

    "target3" wrote:

    > Cari, Thanks. Basically you can do anything but edit until you save it to
    > disc.
    >
    > I saved it in DVI format but my home DVD player couldn't read it. Do you
    > know how to save it so that my home DVD player can read it?
    >
    > "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    >
    > > Use the Save to My Computer option. You are currently saving only the
    > > Project.
    > > --
    > > Cari (MS-MVP Windows Client - Printing, Imaging & Hardware)
    > > www.coribright.com
    > >
    > > "target3" <target3@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > The only option I have when I click, file, save as is the " *.mswmm"
    > > > format.
    > > > My understanding is to play the movie in a DVD player I need the option to
    > > > save in the DV-AVI format. How is this accomplished?

    When you burn standardized *.avi, *.mpg, etc... files to a disc, all you
    have done is create a Data Backup of your original source files...in
    essence, your player will not play raw data files.

    You will need to convert your DV-AVI to VCD (Video CD) or DVD compliant
    formats, before burning. The underlying issue you are dealing with is,
    *.AVI files are only a means to an end and not, "The End." VCD/ DVD
    compliant files are quite different from your DV-AVI file.

    A great source of beginning tutorials on the subject may be found here...

    http://www.videohelp.com/

    Most burring packages, such as ROXIO CD Creator (or whatever they are
    calling it these days), can create VCDs from VCD compliant files (mpeg-1,
    352x240). So, for purposes of VCD, your DV-AVI would need to be correctly
    formatted and encoded as mpeg-1, *.mpg, before burning to VCD. A freely
    available and widely used encoder for just such a purpose is called
    "Tmpgenc", and it will do VCDs very nicely.

    http://www.tmpgenc.net/e_main.html

    For purposes of generating a fully compliant DVD, you require a DVD capable
    burner with the correct DVD media (physical disc media -- formatted as DVD +
    R, or - R...entirely dependendant upon your DVD writer). Also required is
    additional software designed specifically to support DVD Authoring.

    To produce a DVD, one must take a video source, such as your DV-AVI, and
    convert it into a fully qualified DVD file format (*.VOB), which is then
    capable of being played on consumer DVD players. DVD authoring software
    provides such capabilities, as well as options for adding personalized
    backgrounds, menus, motion elements, music, slideshows, and voiceover
    narration. The authoring software takes all elements of a complete DVD
    production and combines them with your DV-AVI for final output. When
    finished, the software delivers a fully compliant set of DVD files correctly
    formatted and ready for burning directly to disc.

    --
    Digger

    > My home CD player says, "no play". I see my home DVD player supports:
    > MP3,
    > TVG, Kodak picuter CD.
    >
    > I opened the project in MS movie maker. Chose save in DV-DVI format. Then
    > used Roxio to burn the file to a CD-R.
    >
    > What else could I try?
    >

    > "target3" wrote:
    >
    >> Cari, Thanks. Basically you can do anything but edit until you save it
    >> disc.
    >>
    >> I saved it in DVI format but my home DVD player couldn't read it. Do you
    >> know how to save it so that my home DVD player can read it?
    >>
    >> "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    >>
    >> > Use the Save to My Computer option. You are currently saving only the
    >> > Project.
    >> > --
    >> > Cari (MS-MVP Windows Client - Printing, Imaging & Hardware)
    >> > www.coribright.com
    >> >
    >> > "target3" <target3@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    Digger that was an outstanding answer. I will try these things.

    Thank you very much!

    "Digger" wrote:

    > When you burn standardized *.avi, *.mpg, etc... files to a disc, all you
    > have done is create a Data Backup of your original source files...in
    > essence, your player will not play raw data files.
    >
    > You will need to convert your DV-AVI to VCD (Video CD) or DVD compliant
    > formats, before burning. The underlying issue you are dealing with is,
    > *.AVI files are only a means to an end and not, "The End." VCD/ DVD
    > compliant files are quite different from your DV-AVI file.
    >
    > A great source of beginning tutorials on the subject may be found here...
    >
    > http://www.videohelp.com/
    >
    > Most burring packages, such as ROXIO CD Creator (or whatever they are
    > calling it these days), can create VCDs from VCD compliant files (mpeg-1,
    > 352x240). So, for purposes of VCD, your DV-AVI would need to be correctly
    > formatted and encoded as mpeg-1, *.mpg, before burning to VCD. A freely
    > available and widely used encoder for just such a purpose is called
    > "Tmpgenc", and it will do VCDs very nicely.
    >
    > http://www.tmpgenc.net/e_main.html
    >
    > For purposes of generating a fully compliant DVD, you require a DVD capable
    > burner with the correct DVD media (physical disc media -- formatted as DVD +
    > R, or - R...entirely dependendant upon your DVD writer). Also required is
    > additional software designed specifically to support DVD Authoring.
    >
    > To produce a DVD, one must take a video source, such as your DV-AVI, and
    > convert it into a fully qualified DVD file format (*.VOB), which is then
    > capable of being played on consumer DVD players. DVD authoring software
    > provides such capabilities, as well as options for adding personalized
    > backgrounds, menus, motion elements, music, slideshows, and voiceover
    > narration. The authoring software takes all elements of a complete DVD
    > production and combines them with your DV-AVI for final output. When
    > finished, the software delivers a fully compliant set of DVD files correctly
    > formatted and ready for burning directly to disc.
    >
    > --
    > Digger
    >
    > "target3" <target3@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > My home CD player says, "no play". I see my home DVD player supports:
    > > MP3,
    > > TVG, Kodak picuter CD.
    > >
    > > I opened the project in MS movie maker. Chose save in DV-DVI format. Then
    > > used Roxio to burn the file to a CD-R.
    > >
    > > What else could I try?
    > >

    > > "target3" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Cari, Thanks. Basically you can do anything but edit until you save it
    > >> disc.
    > >>
    > >> I saved it in DVI format but my home DVD player couldn't read it. Do you
    > >> know how to save it so that my home DVD player can read it?

    Learning curve is high and paths are fraught with "Will Robinson"
    dangers...when everything works correctly, the end result can be extremely
    rewarding.

    In the words of Warren Zevon; 1947 - 2003: "Enjoy every sandwich"

    --
    Digger

    > Digger that was an outstanding answer. I will try these things.
    >
    > Thank you very much!
    >
    > "Digger" wrote:
    >
    >> When you burn standardized *.avi, *.mpg, etc... files to a disc, all you
    >> have done is create a Data Backup of your original source files...in
    >> essence, your player will not play raw data files.
    >>
    >> You will need to convert your DV-AVI to VCD (Video CD) or DVD compliant
    >> formats, before burning. The underlying issue you are dealing with is,
    >> *.AVI files are only a means to an end and not, "The End." VCD/ DVD
    >> compliant files are quite different from your DV-AVI file.
    >>
    >> A great source of beginning tutorials on the subject may be found here...
    >>
    >> http://www.videohelp.com/
    >>
    >> Most burring packages, such as ROXIO CD Creator (or whatever they are
    >> calling it these days), can create VCDs from VCD compliant files (mpeg-1,
    >> 352x240). So, for purposes of VCD, your DV-AVI would need to be
    >> correctly
    >> formatted and encoded as mpeg-1, *.mpg, before burning to VCD. A freely
    >> available and widely used encoder for just such a purpose is called
    >> "Tmpgenc", and it will do VCDs very nicely.
    >>
    >> http://www.tmpgenc.net/e_main.html
    >>
    >> For purposes of generating a fully compliant DVD, you require a DVD
    >> capable
    >> burner with the correct DVD media (physical disc media -- formatted as
    >> DVD +
    >> R, or - R...entirely dependendant upon your DVD writer). Also required
    >> is
    >> additional software designed specifically to support DVD Authoring.
    >>
    >> To produce a DVD, one must take a video source, such as your DV-AVI, and
    >> convert it into a fully qualified DVD file format (*.VOB), which is then
    >> capable of being played on consumer DVD players. DVD authoring software
    >> provides such capabilities, as well as options for adding personalized
    >> backgrounds, menus, motion elements, music, slideshows, and voiceover
    >> narration. The authoring software takes all elements of a complete DVD
    >> production and combines them with your DV-AVI for final output. When
    >> finished, the software delivers a fully compliant set of DVD files
    >> correctly
    >> formatted and ready for burning directly to disc.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Digger
    >>
    >> "target3" <target3@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > My home CD player says, "no play". I see my home DVD player supports:
    >> > MP3,
    >> > TVG, Kodak picuter CD.
    >> >
    >> > I opened the project in MS movie maker. Chose save in DV-DVI format.
    >> > Then
    >> > used Roxio to burn the file to a CD-R.
    >> >
    >> > What else could I try?

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    I have found these posts very informative as I just finished making a 250MB
    movie. The file is currently saving according to the directions of this
    post. My next question, however, is how long should it take to save a 250MB
    file?

    RL

    "Digger" wrote:

    > When you burn standardized *.avi, *.mpg, etc... files to a disc, all you
    > have done is create a Data Backup of your original source files...in
    > essence, your player will not play raw data files.
    >
    > You will need to convert your DV-AVI to VCD (Video CD) or DVD compliant
    > formats, before burning. The underlying issue you are dealing with is,
    > *.AVI files are only a means to an end and not, "The End." VCD/ DVD
    > compliant files are quite different from your DV-AVI file.
    >
    > A great source of beginning tutorials on the subject may be found here...
    >
    > http://www.videohelp.com/
    >
    > Most burring packages, such as ROXIO CD Creator (or whatever they are
    > calling it these days), can create VCDs from VCD compliant files (mpeg-1,
    > 352x240). So, for purposes of VCD, your DV-AVI would need to be correctly
    > formatted and encoded as mpeg-1, *.mpg, before burning to VCD. A freely
    > available and widely used encoder for just such a purpose is called
    > "Tmpgenc", and it will do VCDs very nicely.
    >
    > http://www.tmpgenc.net/e_main.html
    >
    > For purposes of generating a fully compliant DVD, you require a DVD capable
    > burner with the correct DVD media (physical disc media -- formatted as DVD +
    > R, or - R...entirely dependendant upon your DVD writer). Also required is
    > additional software designed specifically to support DVD Authoring.
    >
    > To produce a DVD, one must take a video source, such as your DV-AVI, and
    > convert it into a fully qualified DVD file format (*.VOB), which is then
    > capable of being played on consumer DVD players. DVD authoring software
    > provides such capabilities, as well as options for adding personalized
    > backgrounds, menus, motion elements, music, slideshows, and voiceover
    > narration. The authoring software takes all elements of a complete DVD
    > production and combines them with your DV-AVI for final output. When
    > finished, the software delivers a fully compliant set of DVD files correctly
    > formatted and ready for burning directly to disc.
    >
    > --
    > Digger
    >
    > "target3" <target3@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > My home CD player says, "no play". I see my home DVD player supports:
    > > MP3,
    > > TVG, Kodak picuter CD.
    > >
    > > I opened the project in MS movie maker. Chose save in DV-DVI format. Then
    > > used Roxio to burn the file to a CD-R.
    > >
    > > What else could I try?
    > >

    > > "target3" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Cari, Thanks. Basically you can do anything but edit until you save it
    > >> disc.
    > >>
    > >> I saved it in DVI format but my home DVD player couldn't read it. Do you
    > >> know how to save it so that my home DVD player can read it?

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    How fast is your PC....! It's not a question that is answerable given the
    information you did. Depends entirely on the speed of your CPU, amount of
    RAM, amount of free space on the hard drive(s), the complexity of the movie
    and how much 'extra' data processing you are asking your PC to do at the
    same time.

    It's a bit last asking how fast you could run to the nearest 7-11 store.
    I'd need to know you 'normal' running speed, general
    environment/weather/humidity of the day, your level of fitness etc.
    --
    Cari
    (MS-MVP Printing & Imaging)

Video DVD Microsoft Format Windows XP