The only option I have when I click, file, save as is the " *.mswmm" format.
My understanding is to play the movie in a DVD player I need the option to
save in the DV-AVI format. How is this accomplished?

Use the Save to My Computer option. You are currently saving only the
Project.
www.coribright.com

"target3" <target3@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> The only option I have when I click, file, save as is the " *.mswmm"
> format.
> My understanding is to play the movie in a DVD player I need the option to
> save in the DV-AVI format. How is this accomplished?

Cari, Thanks. Basically you can do anything but edit until you save it to
disc.

I saved it in DVI format but my home DVD player couldn't read it. Do you
know how to save it so that my home DVD player can read it?

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Use the Save to My Computer option. You are currently saving only the
> Project.
> www.coribright.com
>
> "target3" <target3@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > The only option I have when I click, file, save as is the " *.mswmm"
> > format.
> > My understanding is to play the movie in a DVD player I need the option to
> > save in the DV-AVI format. How is this accomplished?

My home CD player says, "no play". I see my home DVD player supports: MP3,
TVG, Kodak picuter CD.

I opened the project in MS movie maker. Chose save in DV-DVI format. Then I
used Roxio to burn the file to a CD-R.

What else could I try?

"target3" wrote:

> Cari, Thanks. Basically you can do anything but edit until you save it to
> disc.
>
> I saved it in DVI format but my home DVD player couldn't read it. Do you
> know how to save it so that my home DVD player can read it?
>
> "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
> > Use the Save to My Computer option. You are currently saving only the
> > Project.
> > --
> > Cari (MS-MVP Windows Client - Printing, Imaging & Hardware)
> > www.coribright.com
> >
> > "target3" <target3@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > The only option I have when I click, file, save as is the " *.mswmm"
> > > format.
> > > My understanding is to play the movie in a DVD player I need the option to
> > > save in the DV-AVI format. How is this accomplished?

digger

When you burn standardized *.avi, *.mpg, etc... files to a disc, all you
have done is create a Data Backup of your original source files...in
essence, your player will not play raw data files.

You will need to convert your DV-AVI to VCD (Video CD) or DVD compliant
formats, before burning. The underlying issue you are dealing with is,
*.AVI files are only a means to an end and not, "The End." VCD/ DVD
compliant files are quite different from your DV-AVI file.

A great source of beginning tutorials on the subject may be found here...

http://www.videohelp.com/

Most burring packages, such as ROXIO CD Creator (or whatever they are
calling it these days), can create VCDs from VCD compliant files (mpeg-1,
352x240). So, for purposes of VCD, your DV-AVI would need to be correctly
formatted and encoded as mpeg-1, *.mpg, before burning to VCD. A freely
available and widely used encoder for just such a purpose is called
"Tmpgenc", and it will do VCDs very nicely.

http://www.tmpgenc.net/e_main.html

For purposes of generating a fully compliant DVD, you require a DVD capable
burner with the correct DVD media (physical disc media -- formatted as DVD +
R, or - R...entirely dependendant upon your DVD writer). Also required is
additional software designed specifically to support DVD Authoring.

To produce a DVD, one must take a video source, such as your DV-AVI, and
convert it into a fully qualified DVD file format (*.VOB), which is then
capable of being played on consumer DVD players. DVD authoring software
provides such capabilities, as well as options for adding personalized
backgrounds, menus, motion elements, music, slideshows, and voiceover
narration. The authoring software takes all elements of a complete DVD
production and combines them with your DV-AVI for final output. When
finished, the software delivers a fully compliant set of DVD files correctly
formatted and ready for burning directly to disc.

--
Digger

> My home CD player says, "no play". I see my home DVD player supports:
> MP3,
> TVG, Kodak picuter CD.
>
> I opened the project in MS movie maker. Chose save in DV-DVI format. Then
> used Roxio to burn the file to a CD-R.
>
> What else could I try?
>

> "target3" wrote:
>
>> Cari, Thanks. Basically you can do anything but edit until you save it
>> disc.
>>
>> I saved it in DVI format but my home DVD player couldn't read it. Do you
>> know how to save it so that my home DVD player can read it?
>>
>> "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>>
>> > Use the Save to My Computer option. You are currently saving only the
>> > Project.
>> > --
>> > Cari (MS-MVP Windows Client - Printing, Imaging & Hardware)
>> > www.coribright.com
>> >
>> > "target3" <target3@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Digger that was an outstanding answer. I will try these things.

Thank you very much!

"Digger" wrote:

> When you burn standardized *.avi, *.mpg, etc... files to a disc, all you
> have done is create a Data Backup of your original source files...in
> essence, your player will not play raw data files.
>
> You will need to convert your DV-AVI to VCD (Video CD) or DVD compliant
> formats, before burning. The underlying issue you are dealing with is,
> *.AVI files are only a means to an end and not, "The End." VCD/ DVD
> compliant files are quite different from your DV-AVI file.
>
> A great source of beginning tutorials on the subject may be found here...
>
> http://www.videohelp.com/
>
> Most burring packages, such as ROXIO CD Creator (or whatever they are
> calling it these days), can create VCDs from VCD compliant files (mpeg-1,
> 352x240). So, for purposes of VCD, your DV-AVI would need to be correctly
> formatted and encoded as mpeg-1, *.mpg, before burning to VCD. A freely
> available and widely used encoder for just such a purpose is called
> "Tmpgenc", and it will do VCDs very nicely.
>
> http://www.tmpgenc.net/e_main.html
>
> For purposes of generating a fully compliant DVD, you require a DVD capable
> burner with the correct DVD media (physical disc media -- formatted as DVD +
> R, or - R...entirely dependendant upon your DVD writer). Also required is
> additional software designed specifically to support DVD Authoring.
>
> To produce a DVD, one must take a video source, such as your DV-AVI, and
> convert it into a fully qualified DVD file format (*.VOB), which is then
> capable of being played on consumer DVD players. DVD authoring software
> provides such capabilities, as well as options for adding personalized
> backgrounds, menus, motion elements, music, slideshows, and voiceover
> narration. The authoring software takes all elements of a complete DVD
> production and combines them with your DV-AVI for final output. When
> finished, the software delivers a fully compliant set of DVD files correctly
> formatted and ready for burning directly to disc.
>
> --
> Digger
>
> "target3" <target3@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > My home CD player says, "no play". I see my home DVD player supports:
> > MP3,
> > TVG, Kodak picuter CD.
> >
> > I opened the project in MS movie maker. Chose save in DV-DVI format. Then
> > used Roxio to burn the file to a CD-R.
> >
> > What else could I try?
> >

> > "target3" wrote:
> >
> >> Cari, Thanks. Basically you can do anything but edit until you save it
> >> disc.
> >>
> >> I saved it in DVI format but my home DVD player couldn't read it. Do you
> >> know how to save it so that my home DVD player can read it?

digger

Learning curve is high and paths are fraught with "Will Robinson"
dangers...when everything works correctly, the end result can be extremely
rewarding.

In the words of Warren Zevon; 1947 - 2003: "Enjoy every sandwich"

--
Digger

> Digger that was an outstanding answer. I will try these things.
>
> Thank you very much!
>
> "Digger" wrote:
>
>> When you burn standardized *.avi, *.mpg, etc... files to a disc, all you
>> have done is create a Data Backup of your original source files...in
>> essence, your player will not play raw data files.
>>
>> You will need to convert your DV-AVI to VCD (Video CD) or DVD compliant
>> formats, before burning. The underlying issue you are dealing with is,
>> *.AVI files are only a means to an end and not, "The End." VCD/ DVD
>> compliant files are quite different from your DV-AVI file.
>>
>> A great source of beginning tutorials on the subject may be found here...
>>
>> http://www.videohelp.com/
>>
>> Most burring packages, such as ROXIO CD Creator (or whatever they are
>> calling it these days), can create VCDs from VCD compliant files (mpeg-1,
>> 352x240). So, for purposes of VCD, your DV-AVI would need to be
>> correctly
>> formatted and encoded as mpeg-1, *.mpg, before burning to VCD. A freely
>> available and widely used encoder for just such a purpose is called
>> "Tmpgenc", and it will do VCDs very nicely.
>>
>> http://www.tmpgenc.net/e_main.html
>>
>> For purposes of generating a fully compliant DVD, you require a DVD
>> capable
>> burner with the correct DVD media (physical disc media -- formatted as
>> DVD +
>> R, or - R...entirely dependendant upon your DVD writer). Also required
>> is
>> additional software designed specifically to support DVD Authoring.
>>
>> To produce a DVD, one must take a video source, such as your DV-AVI, and
>> convert it into a fully qualified DVD file format (*.VOB), which is then
>> capable of being played on consumer DVD players. DVD authoring software
>> provides such capabilities, as well as options for adding personalized
>> backgrounds, menus, motion elements, music, slideshows, and voiceover
>> narration. The authoring software takes all elements of a complete DVD
>> production and combines them with your DV-AVI for final output. When
>> finished, the software delivers a fully compliant set of DVD files
>> correctly
>> formatted and ready for burning directly to disc.
>>
>> --
>> Digger
>>
>> "target3" <target3@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > My home CD player says, "no play". I see my home DVD player supports:
>> > MP3,
>> > TVG, Kodak picuter CD.
>> >
>> > I opened the project in MS movie maker. Chose save in DV-DVI format.
>> > Then
>> > used Roxio to burn the file to a CD-R.
>> >
>> > What else could I try?

I have found these posts very informative as I just finished making a 250MB
movie. The file is currently saving according to the directions of this
post. My next question, however, is how long should it take to save a 250MB
file?

RL

"Digger" wrote:

> When you burn standardized *.avi, *.mpg, etc... files to a disc, all you
> have done is create a Data Backup of your original source files...in
> essence, your player will not play raw data files.
>
> You will need to convert your DV-AVI to VCD (Video CD) or DVD compliant
> formats, before burning. The underlying issue you are dealing with is,
> *.AVI files are only a means to an end and not, "The End." VCD/ DVD
> compliant files are quite different from your DV-AVI file.
>
> A great source of beginning tutorials on the subject may be found here...
>
> http://www.videohelp.com/
>
> Most burring packages, such as ROXIO CD Creator (or whatever they are
> calling it these days), can create VCDs from VCD compliant files (mpeg-1,
> 352x240). So, for purposes of VCD, your DV-AVI would need to be correctly
> formatted and encoded as mpeg-1, *.mpg, before burning to VCD. A freely
> available and widely used encoder for just such a purpose is called
> "Tmpgenc", and it will do VCDs very nicely.
>
> http://www.tmpgenc.net/e_main.html
>
> For purposes of generating a fully compliant DVD, you require a DVD capable
> burner with the correct DVD media (physical disc media -- formatted as DVD +
> R, or - R...entirely dependendant upon your DVD writer). Also required is
> additional software designed specifically to support DVD Authoring.
>
> To produce a DVD, one must take a video source, such as your DV-AVI, and
> convert it into a fully qualified DVD file format (*.VOB), which is then
> capable of being played on consumer DVD players. DVD authoring software
> provides such capabilities, as well as options for adding personalized
> backgrounds, menus, motion elements, music, slideshows, and voiceover
> narration. The authoring software takes all elements of a complete DVD
> production and combines them with your DV-AVI for final output. When
> finished, the software delivers a fully compliant set of DVD files correctly
> formatted and ready for burning directly to disc.
>
> --
> Digger
>
> "target3" <target3@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > My home CD player says, "no play". I see my home DVD player supports:
> > MP3,
> > TVG, Kodak picuter CD.
> >
> > I opened the project in MS movie maker. Chose save in DV-DVI format. Then
> > used Roxio to burn the file to a CD-R.
> >
> > What else could I try?
> >

> > "target3" wrote:
> >
> >> Cari, Thanks. Basically you can do anything but edit until you save it
> >> disc.
> >>
> >> I saved it in DVI format but my home DVD player couldn't read it. Do you
> >> know how to save it so that my home DVD player can read it?

How fast is your PC....! It's not a question that is answerable given the
information you did. Depends entirely on the speed of your CPU, amount of
RAM, amount of free space on the hard drive(s), the complexity of the movie
and how much 'extra' data processing you are asking your PC to do at the
same time.

It's a bit last asking how fast you could run to the nearest 7-11 store.
I'd need to know you 'normal' running speed, general
environment/weather/humidity of the day, your level of fitness etc.
--
Cari
(MS-MVP Printing & Imaging)