Which editing software has the guts?

Hi--we're at a high school where the video instructor wants to move
away from the old Casablanca Classic to a Windows-based editing
package. The question:

Can MovieMaker 2 or Pinnacle Studio 8 handle projects of 2-3 hours'
length?

If so, how big a hard drive would it require?

If not, is there a software package that can? How do folks edit on a
Windows computer?

Thanks much,

Dave

Have a look at Ulead MediaStudio Pro 7.0 - which can now be used with
an HDV (HIGH DEFINITION) plug-in:

http://www.ulead.com/msp/plugin.htm

This plug-in provides support for two JVC high definition models:

1. JVC GR-HD1:

http://www.jvc.com/product.jsp?modelId=MODL027075&page=2

2. JVC JY-HD10:

http://pro.jvc.com/prof/Attributes/tech_desc.jsp?tree=&model_id=MDL101394&itempath=&feature_id=02

Jerry Jones
http://www.jonesgroup.net

dpanchyk@hotmail.com (Dave Panchyk) wrote:

> Hi--we're at a high school where the video instructor wants to move
> away from the old Casablanca Classic to a Windows-based editing
> package.

Convince them to get Vegas, Premiere or AVID XPressDV. Stay away from
Pinnacle.
"Dave Panchyk" <dpanchyk@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi--we're at a high school where the video instructor wants to move
> away from the old Casablanca Classic to a Windows-based editing
> package. The question:
>
> Can MovieMaker 2 or Pinnacle Studio 8 handle projects of 2-3 hours'
> length?
>
> If so, how big a hard drive would it require?
>
> If not, is there a software package that can? How do folks edit on a
> Windows computer?
>
> Thanks much,
>
> Dave

Dave Panchyk <dpanchyk@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi--we're at a high school where the video instructor wants to move
> away from the old Casablanca Classic to a Windows-based editing
> package. The question:
>
> Can MovieMaker 2 or Pinnacle Studio 8 handle projects of 2-3 hours'
> length?
>
> If so, how big a hard drive would it require?
>
> If not, is there a software package that can? How do folks edit on a
> Windows computer?
>
> Thanks much,
>
> Dave

I work at a local community college and we decided to go with Vegas for
general student use (i.e. not broadcasting students). I can have a student
editing by themself with less than 15 min. instruction.

Mike

If you have not used Non Liner editing before (computer based editing)

then i wouldnt reccomend avid dv express, because as good as it is it is
harder to use then Premiere.

When i was doing my media studies gcse and a levels back at school here in
the UK we had adobe premiere suites with pinnacle cards in them for firewire
capture straight from cameras, and an analogue box to capture from tv, video
etc.

I found the system especially easy to use back then when i was 15, (now 20)
and most of my class did to.

i now use avid having learnt on premiere.

"KW_UK" <karl.woolley@no.spam.btinternet.com> wrote in message
> If you have not used Non Liner editing before (computer based editing)
>
> then i wouldnt reccomend avid dv express, because as good as it is it is
> harder to use then Premiere.

True enough that the learning curve for Avid is steeper than the others, but
in an educational environment where kids are learning skills they might
apply later in their careers, I'd venture to say that Avid is the best one
to learn -- it's in virtually every post-production house and tv station in
the world. You won't find Vegas in ANY of them, and you won't find Premiere
in very many. The only alternative is Final Cut Pro.......but he did say
Windows (FCP is Mac only).

Randy

"Randy Brown" <NotMyAddress@all.com> wrote in message
> "KW_UK" <karl.woolley@no.spam.btinternet.com> wrote in message
> > If you have not used Non Liner editing before (computer based editing)
> >
> > then i wouldnt reccomend avid dv express, because as good as it is it is
> > harder to use then Premiere.
>
> True enough that the learning curve for Avid is steeper than the others,
but
> in an educational environment where kids are learning skills they might
> apply later in their careers, I'd venture to say that Avid is the best one
> to learn -- it's in virtually every post-production house and tv station
in
> the world. You won't find Vegas in ANY of them, and you won't find
Premiere
> in very many. The only alternative is Final Cut Pro.......but he did say
> Windows (FCP is Mac only).
>
> Randy

I suspect that the students who use this equipment will be pursuing a great
variety of career paths in video, film, or broadcasting. Therefore, the
easiest to learn NLE software with reasonable capabilities seems the most
appropriate, IMO. That way they can get on faster to the task of learning
the fundamentals of how images and sound can be put together in ways that
impact an audience. The craft of operating a particular NLE should be a
secondary consideration.

Steve King

Upon further consideration, you're probably right.

Randy

"Steve King" <steve@REMOVETHISSPAMBLOCKsteveking.net> wrote in message
> "Randy Brown" <NotMyAddress@all.com> wrote in message
> > "KW_UK" <karl.woolley@no.spam.btinternet.com> wrote in message
> > > If you have not used Non Liner editing before (computer based editing)
> > >
> > > then i wouldnt reccomend avid dv express, because as good as it is it
is
> > > harder to use then Premiere.
> >
> > True enough that the learning curve for Avid is steeper than the others,
> but
> > in an educational environment where kids are learning skills they might
> > apply later in their careers, I'd venture to say that Avid is the best
one
> > to learn -- it's in virtually every post-production house and tv station
> in
> > the world. You won't find Vegas in ANY of them, and you won't find
> Premiere
> > in very many. The only alternative is Final Cut Pro.......but he did
say
> > Windows (FCP is Mac only).
> >
> > Randy
>
> I suspect that the students who use this equipment will be pursuing a
great
> variety of career paths in video, film, or broadcasting. Therefore, the
> easiest to learn NLE software with reasonable capabilities seems the most
> appropriate, IMO. That way they can get on faster to the task of learning
> the fundamentals of how images and sound can be put together in ways that
> impact an audience. The craft of operating a particular NLE should be a
> secondary consideration.
>
> Steve King

dpanchyk@hotmail.com (Dave Panchyk) wrote

> Can MovieMaker 2 or Pinnacle Studio 8 handle projects of 2-3 hours'
> length?

And who is the poor victim that has to watch a 3-hour project ~ OUCH!

Here's a thought, make a 3 minute quickie ... then your audience may
actually want to watch it.