small .exe program to autorun an .mpg file -- for wedding

Hey all..

I am making enhanced cd's for my wedding next month and i am
trying to think of the best way to get an .mpg to autorun. I seem to
remember a program that let me "convert" an .mpg to .exe form to make
it easier to autostart. It seems that the program asked me what
files(s) i wanted to add to the .exe file that would run when the .exe
file was ran.

I could always use the generic autostart options, but i thought this
would be a bit easier. Also, in your opinion (besided the method
above) what's the easiest autorun command/setup to get an .mpg file to
autorun....

Thanks for all of your help in advance, I appreciate it,

Matt

magicianstalk <magicianstalk@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hey all..
>
> I am making enhanced cd's for my wedding next month and i am
> trying to think of the best way to get an .mpg to autorun. I seem to
> remember a program that let me "convert" an .mpg to .exe form to make
> it easier to autostart. It seems that the program asked me what
> files(s) i wanted to add to the .exe file that would run when the .exe
> file was ran.
>
> I could always use the generic autostart options, but i thought this
> would be a bit easier. Also, in your opinion (besided the method
> above) what's the easiest autorun command/setup to get an .mpg file to
> autorun....
>
> Thanks for all of your help in advance, I appreciate it,
> Matt

Try this Matt. On the root of the CD, put:

autorun.inf
mplayer2.exe
myvideo.mpg

mplayer2.exe is the basic Windows MediaPlayer (version 6.4) and it's only 5K
in size. Even XP still has it. This way, there's no worries.

The autorun file reads as follows:

[autorun]
open=mplayer2.exe /fullscreen /play /close \myvideo.mpg

Proper spacing here is critical. Create this in Notepad and save it as
AUTORUN.INF. When you're saving, make sure to select "All Files" in the
"Save as type" drop down box. HTH.

Mike

Hello..

Hey Mike, thanks for the response. I gave it a shot, and it
worked! Thank you! However,2 quick things...

1) The player didnt close after the video finished (which doesn't
really matter now that i have made it this far). ANy idea why?

2) Regarding the .ini file, i didn't chose "all file types" like you
mentioned, and it seemed to work fine. What's the advantage of
selecting "all file types" when saving? Isn't it still saved as a
..txt file both times?

Thanks again,

Matt
email me directly at magicianstalk @ hot mail , com

response both posted and mailed.

magicianstalk <magicianstalk@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hello..
>
> Hey Mike, thanks for the response. I gave it a shot, and it
> worked! Thank you! However,2 quick things...
>
> 1) The player didnt close after the video finished (which doesn't
> really matter now that i have made it this far). ANy idea why?

Did you followed the exact syntax I gave you?
open=mplayer2.exe /fullscreen /play /close \myvideo.mpg
If you missed the space after "close", that might do it.

> 2) Regarding the .ini file, i didn't chose "all file types" like you
> mentioned, and it seemed to work fine. What's the advantage of
> selecting "all file types" when saving? Isn't it still saved as a
> .txt file both times?

If you don't, Notepad will supposedly save it as Autorun.inf.txt, which, of
course, won't work. For whatever reason though, this didn't seem to be an
issue.

> Thanks again,

> Matt

You're quite welcome!