How many AVIs to put on a DVD

Archived from groups: alt.video.dvd,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

Here's the situation - I have a number of AVIs that I want to put on a
DVD. They're XVid (DIVX) encoded, each one is 60mins and around
700Mb. Resolution is fairly low (I think about 500x300) so quality is
not the best.

As a user of tmpgenc, how do I determine MPEG2 parameters to ensure
that I don't lose quality but don't waste bandwidth? I don't think
resultant MPEG2 files can be as small as 700Mb, can they? I presume I
should use VBR to reduce size (which means sloooooooooooooooooow
conversion with Tmpgenc!)

Archived from groups: alt.video.dvd,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

Depends on the quality you want. If you want the best quality, you can only
put 1 on there since they are 60 minutes long.

"Pug Fugley" <nosir@not.com> wrote in message news:<Cylac.8619$lt2.8348@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>...
> Depends on the quality you want. If you want the best quality, you can only
> put 1 on there since they are 60 minutes long.

I'm sorry, but I have to think that's nonsense due to the 'garbage in,
garbage out' rule. I went back and checked the source - it's 496x384
pixels, and video is 1470kbit/s MPEG4. Low, low bit rate and
resolution, therefore I don't believe using a high bitrate is going to
buy me much.

I'll experiment and let you know my findings...

stankley wrote:

> "Pug Fugley" <nosir@not.com> wrote in message news:<Cylac.8619$lt2.8348@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>...
>
>>Depends on the quality you want. If you want the best quality, you can only
>>put 1 on there since they are 60 minutes long.
>>

> I'm sorry, but I have to think that's nonsense due to the 'garbage in,
> garbage out' rule. I went back and checked the source - it's 496x384
> pixels, and video is 1470kbit/s MPEG4. Low, low bit rate and
> resolution, therefore I don't believe using a high bitrate is going to
> buy me much.
>
> I'll experiment and let you know my findings...

Make your DVD in either half or quarter D1 resolution. That'll let you
get away with lower bitrates without deviating much from your originals.

Coming from 720x480 digital recordings, I've made half D1 DVDs with an
average bitrate of 3000 and the results are extremely nice. (When
viewed on TV, I really can't tell the difference between it and the
original broadcast). Coupled with AC3 audio, that'll let me put 3+
hours on a single DVD.

-WD

On 30 Mar 2004 09:48:47 -0800, pstankley@hotmail.com (stankley) wrote:

>Here's the situation - I have a number of AVIs that I want to put on a
>DVD. They're XVid (DIVX) encoded

Xvid is not DivX. Both are mpeg-4 based, but they are not the same.

As for the rest, I would follow Will Dormann's advice.