Software TIVO equivalent?

Are there software packages that provide HD-timeshifting functionality, ala
TIVO?
I don't need a subscription based service, though VCR+ codes would be
advantageous.
11 answers Last reply
More about software tivo equivalent

    Robert Morein wrote:

    > Are there software packages that provide HD-timeshifting functionality, ala
    > TIVO?
    > I don't need a subscription based service, though VCR+ codes would be
    > advantageous.

    Check out www.showshifter.com and www.snapstream.com. The one I bought was
    "Beyond TV" from SnapStream.

    There's no subscription fee, and you can schedule recordings remotely via a web
    site.

    With a PVR-250 tuner card which does hardware encoding, I can easily get a two
    hour program on a DVD (minus commercials) in damn-close-to-broadcast-quality.

    There's a new build due in a couple of months that will even support multiple
    PVR-250 cards so you can record 2 shows at the same time.

    The interface is also ideally suited for HTPC use, and the remote control that
    comes with the PVR-250 works perfectly with BeyondTV.

    HD requirements work out to about 3 GB per hour, so if you do a lot of
    recording (like the 24 hour Three Stooges marathon coming up this weekend ;->),
    you'll want a 160 GB hard drive (besides, you can get great deals on the 160 GB
    drives, I got mine for $89 after rebates).

    ~Keith

    "Robert Morein" <nowhere@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > Are there software packages that provide HD-timeshifting functionality,
    ala
    > TIVO?
    > I don't need a subscription based service, though VCR+ codes would be
    > advantageous.

    If you have an ATI card, you can download their software for free. If you
    run Linux, you can use MythTV which looks really sweet. Those are the two I
    know about, but I know there are a few others.

    "Eternally" <m@r.com> wrote in message
    > "Robert Morein" <nowhere@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > > Are there software packages that provide HD-timeshifting functionality,
    > ala
    > > TIVO?
    > > I don't need a subscription based service, though VCR+ codes would be
    > > advantageous.
    > >

    > If you have an ATI card, you can download their software for free. If you
    > run Linux, you can use MythTV which looks really sweet. Those are the two
    > know about, but I know there are a few others.

    The card is a Matrox G550, which is already running two displays.
    I think I'd like to add a separate TV tuner card, if they're still made.
    That way, I wouldn't have to disturb the display properties.
    To my knowledge, there is only one card in existence that can run two
    monitors and a TV out, namely, the Parhelia.

    Robert Morein wrote:

    > "Eternally" <m@r.com> wrote in message
    > > "Robert Morein" <nowhere@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > > > Are there software packages that provide HD-timeshifting functionality,
    > > ala
    > > > TIVO?
    > > > I don't need a subscription based service, though VCR+ codes would be
    > > > advantageous.
    > > >

    > > If you have an ATI card, you can download their software for free. If you
    > > run Linux, you can use MythTV which looks really sweet. Those are the two
    > > know about, but I know there are a few others.
    > >
    > The card is a Matrox G550, which is already running two displays.
    > I think I'd like to add a separate TV tuner card, if they're still made.

    Lots of TV tuners from many companies to choose from. Not to sound like a
    broken record, but the PVR-250 has the most universal support whether in Windows
    or Linux.

    The PVR-350 card has a TV-out connection so you can save the massive expense of
    a Parahelia.

    The TV-out can't be accessed by Windows, unfortunately, but when you play back
    an mpeg file, the PVR-350 decodes the file in hardware.

    This lets even a lowly 500 MHz P3 be useful as a TV recorder/player, and the
    output is said to be very high quality.

    "Keith Clark" <clarkphotography@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > Robert Morein wrote:
    >
    > > "Eternally" <m@r.com> wrote in message
    > > > "Robert Morein" <nowhere@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > > > ala
    > > > >

    > > > If you have an ATI card, you can download their software for free. If
    you
    > > > run Linux, you can use MythTV which looks really sweet. Those are the
    two
    > > > know about, but I know there are a few others.
    > > >
    > > The card is a Matrox G550, which is already running two displays.
    > > I think I'd like to add a separate TV tuner card, if they're still made.
    >
    > Lots of TV tuners from many companies to choose from. Not to sound like a
    > broken record, but the PVR-250 has the most universal support whether in
    Windows
    > or Linux.
    >
    > The PVR-350 card has a TV-out connection so you can save the massive
    expense of
    > a Parahelia.
    >
    > The TV-out can't be accessed by Windows, unfortunately, but when you play
    back
    > an mpeg file, the PVR-350 decodes the file in hardware.
    >
    > This lets even a lowly 500 MHz P3 be useful as a TV recorder/player, and
    the
    > output is said to be very high quality.

    Any idea whether either of the two packages you mentioned support output to
    the PVR-350?

    Robert Morein wrote:

    > "Keith Clark" <clarkphotography@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >

    > > Robert Morein wrote:
    > >
    > > > "Eternally" <m@r.com> wrote in message
    > functionality,
    > be

    > you
    > two
    > > > >
    > > > The card is a Matrox G550, which is already running two displays.
    > > > I think I'd like to add a separate TV tuner card, if they're still made.
    > >
    > > Lots of TV tuners from many companies to choose from. Not to sound like a
    > > broken record, but the PVR-250 has the most universal support whether in
    > Windows
    > > or Linux.
    > >
    > > The PVR-350 card has a TV-out connection so you can save the massive
    > expense of
    > > a Parahelia.
    > >
    > > The TV-out can't be accessed by Windows, unfortunately, but when you play
    > back
    > > an mpeg file, the PVR-350 decodes the file in hardware.
    > >
    > > This lets even a lowly 500 MHz P3 be useful as a TV recorder/player, and
    > the
    > > output is said to be very high quality.
    > >

    > Any idea whether either of the two packages you mentioned support output to
    > the PVR-350?

    Check their web sites...

    I think that Beyond TV does, but check their list of supported cards. I'd be
    really surprised if it didn't though.

    And check the forum at http://www.shspvr.com which is pretty much dedicated to
    those cards.

    Anyway I'm using TV out with an Nvidia card and I'm pretty happy with Beyond TV
    and a PVR-250. Ultimately I want to use it with a digital TV and a separate
    dedicated HTPC if I can convince my wife that we "need" a better TV...she says
    she wants a home theater... ;->

    Keith

    > Robert Morein wrote:
    >
    > > "Keith Clark" <clarkphotography@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > > functionality,
    > > be

    If
    > > you
    > > two

    > > > Lots of TV tuners from many companies to choose from. Not to sound
    like a
    > > > broken record, but the PVR-250 has the most universal support whether
    in
    > > Windows
    > > > or Linux.
    > > >
    > > > The PVR-350 card has a TV-out connection so you can save the massive
    > > expense of
    > > > a Parahelia.
    > > >
    > > > The TV-out can't be accessed by Windows, unfortunately, but when you
    play
    > > back
    > > > an mpeg file, the PVR-350 decodes the file in hardware.
    > > >
    > > > This lets even a lowly 500 MHz P3 be useful as a TV recorder/player,
    and
    > > the
    > > > output is said to be very high quality.
    > > >

    > > Any idea whether either of the two packages you mentioned support output
    > > the PVR-350?
    >
    > Check their web sites...
    >
    > I think that Beyond TV does, but check their list of supported cards. I'd
    be
    > really surprised if it didn't though.
    >
    > And check the forum at http://www.shspvr.com which is pretty much
    dedicated to
    > those cards.
    >
    > Anyway I'm using TV out with an Nvidia card and I'm pretty happy with
    Beyond TV
    > and a PVR-250. Ultimately I want to use it with a digital TV and a
    separate
    > dedicated HTPC if I can convince my wife that we "need" a better TV...she
    says
    > she wants a home theater... ;->
    >
    > Keith

    Just checked out the forums. Neither product supports the PVR-350 video out.
    The reason appears to be that in order to display the program prompts
    through the PVR-350, they would have to MPEG encode them.

    Robert Morein wrote:

    > Are there software packages that provide HD-timeshifting functionality, ala
    > TIVO?
    > I don't need a subscription based service, though VCR+ codes would be
    > advantageous.

    Get a PVR-250 and MythTV. The latter is free, and incredible.

    -WD

    Will Dormann wrote:

    > Robert Morein wrote:
    >
    > > Are there software packages that provide HD-timeshifting functionality, ala
    > > TIVO?
    > > I don't need a subscription based service, though VCR+ codes would be
    > > advantageous.
    >
    > Get a PVR-250 and MythTV. The latter is free, and incredible.
    >
    > -WD

    I was playing with Myth for a while on SuSE and will vouch for that.

    However getting it installed, on SuSE, was an exercise involving hours of Google
    searches for instructions and ultimately several days of messing with it before
    it successfully compiled and I got all the dependencies sorted out.

    I never did get it fully running, because at the time I was using a WinTV-Go
    card, and the recordings lacked sound. After many days of searching and trial and
    error, I looked to Windows solutions. I think if I'd been using a PVR-250 card,
    the sound issue would have been avoided.

    Searching for utilities that would convert the "proprietary" recording format
    into mpeg-2 was another time consuming task that I never got satisfactory results
    with.

    Also, for some reason the image quality in Linux with Myth using the WinTV-Go was
    much worse than what I could get in Windows. In Windows the image was very good
    and sharp, but in Myth, it left a lot to be desired.

    Finally, the dependence on the very slow xmltv listing service was frustrating
    because updates took forever.

    Don't get me wrong here - Linux is by far my favorite OS and I think Myth has
    some good potential but it's too hard for the average person, I think.

    For the $50 that BeyondTV cost, I feel it was well worth it since it installed in
    less than 5 minutes, schedule updates are almost instant, and I can do remote
    scheduling and conflict resolution. If they made a Linux version, I'd pay the $50
    all over again, and I told them so.

    Oh, I wrote to Womble, and told them I'd be willing to pay for a Linux version of
    their Mpeg-VCR, and they wrote back said they're actually considering a Linux
    version of that great editor...

    ~Keith

    Keith Clark wrote:
    > Will Dormann wrote:
    >

    >>Robert Morein wrote:
    >>

    >>>Are there software packages that provide HD-timeshifting functionality, ala
    >>>TIVO?
    >>>I don't need a subscription based service, though VCR+ codes would be
    >>>advantageous.
    >>
    >>Get a PVR-250 and MythTV. The latter is free, and incredible.
    >>
    > Don't get me wrong here - Linux is by far my favorite OS and I think Myth has
    > some good potential but it's too hard for the average person, I think.

    Maybe. But that's why there's KnoppMyth. (Think Knoppix + MythTV)
    I went the Gentoo route because I'm a geek.

    -WD

    Will Dormann wrote:

    > Keith Clark wrote:
    > > Will Dormann wrote:

    > >>Get a PVR-250 and MythTV. The latter is free, and incredible.
    > >>
    > > Don't get me wrong here - Linux is by far my favorite OS and I think Myth has
    > > some good potential but it's too hard for the average person, I think.
    >
    > Maybe. But that's why there's KnoppMyth. (Think Knoppix + MythTV)
    > I went the Gentoo route because I'm a geek.
    >
    > -WD

    I'm a geek too, but I have better things to do. ;->

    That's why I like SuSE so much. It's YaST tool is awesome.

    I'll gladly compile new kernels and drivers, but I'm not going to wait a week for
    the whole OS to compile.

    I tried KnoppMyth, and the installer barfed all over itself. I wanted to install it
    on my main machine in dual boot before I built a dedicated box, so I tried
    installing it on /dev/sdb and the installer just couldn't handle it.

    Then someone told about the Dave and Dina project, but like everything else, they
    specifically developed it for RedHat.

    So I took the easy way out.

    ~Keith

Tuner Cards Tivo Desktops Video Software Graphics