Windows vista ultimate 64 or windows 7

wezmilan

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2009
hi there, i currently have windows vista ultimate 64 bit and it serves me well,very stable etc. but is windows 7 that much better than vista ultimate? im not sure if its worth getting a new OS if there's a few better features.i mainly use my pc for gaming so which OS is better for that?
thanks in advance

I originally switched from Windows Vista 64bit to Windows 7 Release Candidate (Build 7100) and decided to definitely switch to Win 7. Vista ran fine for me (had SP2 installed), but Win 7 has seemed a little snappier to me. Even with the Release Candidate, I don't think I ever had Windows crash or hang on me.

Windows 7 really, is Vista as it should have been. If you like Vista, you'll love Windows 7. It's the mature, more refined Vista basically.

What you'll have to determine however, if whether you want Ultimate again. I opted for Win 7 Home Premium, as I really had no need for the extra features in Professional/Ultimate versions.

I've also read/seen that Win 7 technically need/uses slightly less resources than Vista as well. So in theory it 'should' perform better on most systems.

After checking Microsoft's website, the system requirements for Vista are identical to those of Windows 7. They are stated differently for each OS but they are basically the same.

jsrudd

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
I've been using windows 7 for about six months and like it a lot. It doesn't perform much better than vista (tom's has an article about that) but the UI is much more polished. The new taskbar is almost reason enough to switch. UAC is a bit more forgiving as well.

For a new build, windows-7 is better. For an existing build, then there is no real difference in performance from upgrading today. If you will be using a SSD with TRIM support, like the Intel X25-M-G2, then Windows-7 and it's TRIM support would be good. Longer term, support for DX11 games might be another reason.

If you are a student, the price from an academic W7 upgrade is dirt cheap.

JessicaD

Distinguished
May 4, 2009
Wezmilan,

Windows 7 uses fewer resources than the operating systems that preceded it and offers several changes in the areas of performance, security, and usability. To learn more about these new features and to take a virtual tour of all Win 7 offers please go to the following link: http://bit.ly/7b1cY

Jessica
Microsoft Windows Client Team

RobRidley

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2009
I changed from Vista Ult to Win 7 Ult Signature. It's just a more pleasent experience. Snappier to use, libraries are a joy, and it's very stable. It's not an essential, but certainly a recomend upgrade.