Eliminating or minimizing 'Render-to-Disk' time ?

Hi,

So, you have your DV loaded in the likes of Vegas or Premier. All set
with fancy FX's and transitions. Previewed using software's realtime
preview. Satified. And now you want to save it back to the disk in DV
format. Often referred to as export to disk, or RENDER!!!

How does one eliminate or minimize the resulting long wait time using
tools available today? According to what I could find, no software
solution will deliver that today. But there is great buzz around
Matrox RT.X100 and Canopus DVStorm2. Is it real? Any gotcha's? I also
heard that Matrox is not realy hardware solution, rather software,
true?

thanks
Mike

Dual Xeons or Dual Opterons :).

"Mike Harris" <badshah2000@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> So, you have your DV loaded in the likes of Vegas or Premier. All set
> with fancy FX's and transitions. Previewed using software's realtime
> preview. Satified. And now you want to save it back to the disk in DV
> format. Often referred to as export to disk, or RENDER!!!
>
> How does one eliminate or minimize the resulting long wait time using
> tools available today? According to what I could find, no software
> solution will deliver that today. But there is great buzz around
> Matrox RT.X100 and Canopus DVStorm2. Is it real? Any gotcha's? I also
> heard that Matrox is not realy hardware solution, rather software,
> true?
>
> thanks
> Mike

It seems that in the future, more packages will use the Open GL interface
provided by most 3D graphics cards.
Open GL turns a graphics card into a specialized yet accessible rendering
processor.
One package which uses Open GL is Avid Express Pro.

I get the impression that the Premier accelerators use an interface peculiar
to Premier.
I'd appreciate clarification on this.

Robert Morein wrote:

> It seems that in the future, more packages will use the Open GL interface
> provided by most 3D graphics cards.
> Open GL turns a graphics card into a specialized yet accessible rendering
> processor.
> One package which uses Open GL is Avid Express Pro.

Liquid Edition uses the GPU.

"Robert Morein" <nowhere@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> It seems that in the future, more packages will use the Open GL interface
> provided by most 3D graphics cards.
> Open GL turns a graphics card into a specialized yet accessible rendering
> processor.
> One package which uses Open GL is Avid Express Pro.
>
> I get the impression that the Premier accelerators use an interface
peculiar
> to Premier.
> I'd appreciate clarification on this.\

Yes but openGL is only for diaply purposes.. it is not a production/output
renderer

"nappy" <dooda@dooda.com> wrote in message

> "Robert Morein" <nowhere@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> > It seems that in the future, more packages will use the Open GL
interface
> > provided by most 3D graphics cards.
> > Open GL turns a graphics card into a specialized yet accessible
rendering
> > processor.
> > One package which uses Open GL is Avid Express Pro.
> >
> > I get the impression that the Premier accelerators use an interface
> peculiar
> > to Premier.
> > I'd appreciate clarification on this.\
>

> Yes but openGL is only for diaply purposes.. it is not a production/output
> renderer

display purposes... sorry

"nappy" <nappy@nappy.no.spam.com> wrote in message

> "nappy" <dooda@dooda.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Robert Morein" <nowhere@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> > > It seems that in the future, more packages will use the Open GL
> interface
> > > provided by most 3D graphics cards.
> > > Open GL turns a graphics card into a specialized yet accessible
> rendering
> > > processor.
> > > One package which uses Open GL is Avid Express Pro.
> > >
> > > I get the impression that the Premier accelerators use an interface
> > peculiar
> > > to Premier.
> > > I'd appreciate clarification on this.\
> >

> > Yes but openGL is only for diaply purposes.. it is not a
production/output
> > renderer
> > >

> display purposes... sorry

http://www.beowulf.org/pipermail/beowulf/1998-December/002759.html
http://www.avid.com/community/forums/forum38/html/001229.html

It seems that the primary purpose is display.
However, Open GL constructs a frame buffer that is closer to the final
rendered stream than the input streams. In principle, a program could read
the frame buffer back and massage that into final output.

I'm not in a position to contradict you, but neither am I sure you're right.

badshah2000@hotmail.com (Mike Harris) wrote:

> So, you have your DV loaded in the likes of Vegas or Premier. All set
> with fancy FX's and transitions. Previewed using software's realtime
> preview. Satified. And now you want to save it back to the disk in DV
> format. Often referred to as export to disk, or RENDER!!!
>
> How does one eliminate or minimize the resulting long wait time using
> tools available today? According to what I could find, no software
> solution will deliver that today. But there is great buzz around
> Matrox RT.X100 and Canopus DVStorm2. Is it real? Any gotcha's? I also
> heard that Matrox is not realy hardware solution, rather software,
> true?

I'm not qualified to enter into the "Open GL" discussion going on here.
However, from a practical "hands-on" stand point I can tell you that I
use two systems to edit video on a daily basis. One is a standard 3.0gHz
PC with only a firewire card and Premiere Pro installed. The other is
also a 3.0gHz, but it has a Canopus DVStorm2 card installed. Work goes
*much* faster on the Storm card system. You can stack any 5 effects or
filters, at multiple points on the timeline, and there is zero rendering.
It leads to more experimentation & tinkering to get the scenes "just so",
instead of settling for a mediocre look because one hates waiting for the
slower box to render the scenes to see if you're satisfied with them.
Storm also generates decent encoder quality MPEG2 files in realtime.

If the decision is between purchasing a dual Xeon or Opteron system or
buying a DVStorm2 card, I'd vote for the Storm because of the initial
lower cost and that It can always be installed on a more powerful system
when you choose to upgrade to your dualie in the future.