DON'T want to control DV (pass-thru A-to-D mode)

Hi- I am using my DV camera as a "pass-thru" device; i.e., I am using
the analog-to-digital converter feature on my DV camera. So, I have a
VHS VCR playing a tape, on one end of the chain, and my DV camera is
in the middle, between my VHS and my Firewire card (my computer).

When I use ArcSoft Showbiz DVD to capture it, I can see the VHS tape
being played on my computer screen. However, when I click "capture",
Showbiz takes control of the DV camera and plays (and captures) the
tape that's in the DV.

I have another package, that allows me to do this...Ulead VideoStudio
6 SE basic, that has an option where you can switch "device control"
off. However, the free version that Ulead gives you only captures to
MPEG-1, so the quality isn't very good. I would love to use Showbiz
DVD to capture it to MPEG-2 - if I could just figure out how to switch
off device control within Showbiz! Does anyone know if it's a registry
hack, or a software update, or maybe an undocumented key sequence?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,
Tim Vrazo
vrazot@comcast.net

"Tim Vrazo" <vrazot@comcast.net> wrote in message

> When I use ArcSoft Showbiz DVD to capture it, I can see the VHS tape
> being played on my computer screen. However, when I click "capture",
> Showbiz takes control of the DV camera and plays (and captures) the
> tape that's in the DV.

Some systems seem to prefer that there is no tape in the camera. Worth a
try.

Robin.

Tim,

> I am using my DV camera as a "pass-thru" device; i.e., I am using
> the analog-to-digital converter feature on my DV camera. So, I have a
> VHS VCR playing a tape, on one end of the chain, and my DV camera is
> in the middle, between my VHS and my Firewire card (my computer).
> When I use ArcSoft Showbiz DVD to capture it, I can see the VHS tape
> being played on my computer screen. However, when I click "capture",
> Showbiz takes control of the DV camera and plays (and captures) the
> tape that's in the DV.

I use "Scenalyzer Live" to capture video from my DV sources. It allows you
to turn off the device control, and can split video in multiple files
(great for getting around the 2 gig limit on older Windows versions). Works
great.

As another poster mentioned, you usually have to take the tape out of the
camcorder to keep it from shutting off after 5 minutes. You may also need
to go into the camcorder settings and turn off it's equivalent of a
screensaver mode (mine comes on around 10 minutes or so).

If you plan on doing this much, you might want to invest in a standalone
A/D converter. I use a DAC-100, but Canopus puts out one too (can't
remember the model right now). It's a lot more convenient than having to
hook up the camcorder all the time.

Anthony

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

vrazot@comcast.net (Tim Vrazo) wrote:

>Hi- I am using my DV camera as a "pass-thru" device; i.e., I am using
>the analog-to-digital converter feature on my DV camera. So, I have a
>VHS VCR playing a tape, on one end of the chain, and my DV camera is
>in the middle, between my VHS and my Firewire card (my computer).
>
>When I use ArcSoft Showbiz DVD to capture it, I can see the VHS tape
>being played on my computer screen. However, when I click "capture",
>Showbiz takes control of the DV camera and plays (and captures) the
>tape that's in the DV.
>
>I have another package, that allows me to do this...Ulead VideoStudio
>6 SE basic, that has an option where you can switch "device control"
>off. However, the free version that Ulead gives you only captures to
>MPEG-1, so the quality isn't very good. I would love to use Showbiz
>DVD to capture it to MPEG-2 - if I could just figure out how to switch
>off device control within Showbiz! Does anyone know if it's a registry
>hack, or a software update, or maybe an undocumented key sequence?
>
>Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Best Regards,
>Tim Vrazo
>vrazot@comcast.net

You could use WinDV (freeware) to capture the video as an avi file on
your hard drive then load it into Showbiz (if Showbiz supports loading
an avi file).
WinDV is available from http://windv.mourek.cz/

Regards Brian