DVD files. Need conversion?

alice

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2004

I need HELP. I am trying to transfer my old VHS tapes to DVD. My
computer is not state-of-the-art, and, although burning a DVD doesn't
take that long, converting the video to DVD file format takes forever.

If I were to buy a stand-alone DVD burner and hook it directly to my
VCR, I wouldn't have to tie up my computer. BUT ... I want to edit
the files later. What sort of files will I end up with on the DVD
after using the stand-alone DVD recorder? Can I take one of these
burned discs and edit the files on my computer later? Will the
computer have to go through yet another conversion, or will I be able
to edit and then just burn the resultant files?

Anyone know? Help is much appreciated!