Poor quality DVD recording

January 1, 2005 1:14:15 AM

I am having trouble obtaining a good quality recording to DVD. The picture
appears very jerky and no where near as clear as to when I record it direct
to tape using a VCR.
My Digital Handycam is a:
Sony DCR-TRV19E
My Computer system is:
HP Pavilion-2.8GHz256MB 266MHz DDRSDRAM memory.
Software: InterVideo WinDVD Creator
I am transferring using a firewire (1394)

A suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Alan
Anonymous
January 1, 2005 1:35:32 AM

Try first copying the video off the camera to your hard disk and then write
that to the dvd, instead of the implication you're trying to go directly
from camera to dvd?

Is there some type of conversion the software is trying to do in real-time
as it's writing? If so, can that be done "pre-processed"?

"Alan Day" <acday@bigpond.com> wrote in message
>I am having trouble obtaining a good quality recording to DVD. The picture
> appears very jerky and no where near as clear as to when I record it
> direct
> to tape using a VCR.
> My Digital Handycam is a:
> Sony DCR-TRV19E
> My Computer system is:
> HP Pavilion-2.8GHz256MB 266MHz DDRSDRAM memory.
> Software: InterVideo WinDVD Creator
> I am transferring using a firewire (1394)
>
> A suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
> Thanks Alan

Anonymous
January 1, 2005 1:52:00 AM

The quality is actually better if I do it direct to DVD, the real problem
occurs when I write it to my hard disk when I wish to edit the video.
Alan

"pjp" <pjpoirier_is_located@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Try first copying the video off the camera to your hard disk and then
write
> that to the dvd, instead of the implication you're trying to go directly
> from camera to dvd?
>
> Is there some type of conversion the software is trying to do in real-time
> as it's writing? If so, can that be done "pre-processed"?
>
> "Alan Day" <acday@bigpond.com> wrote in message
> >I am having trouble obtaining a good quality recording to DVD. The
picture
> > appears very jerky and no where near as clear as to when I record it
> > direct
> > to tape using a VCR.
> > My Digital Handycam is a:
> > Sony DCR-TRV19E
> > My Computer system is:
> > HP Pavilion-2.8GHz256MB 266MHz DDRSDRAM memory.
> > Software: InterVideo WinDVD Creator
> > I am transferring using a firewire (1394)
> >
> > A suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
> > Thanks Alan

January 1, 2005 3:18:32 PM

What other programs are you running at the same time as you are capturing?
When was the last time you defragged your hard drive?
www.coribright.com

"Alan Day" <acday@bigpond.com> wrote in message
>I am having trouble obtaining a good quality recording to DVD. The picture
> appears very jerky and no where near as clear as to when I record it
> direct
> to tape using a VCR.
> My Digital Handycam is a:
> Sony DCR-TRV19E
> My Computer system is:
> HP Pavilion-2.8GHz256MB 266MHz DDRSDRAM memory.
> Software: InterVideo WinDVD Creator
> I am transferring using a firewire (1394)
>
> A suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
> Thanks Alan

Anonymous
January 4, 2005 9:26:31 PM

When you capture, capture to a dv-avi file not wmv. Edit and save movie as a
dv-avi file. Import this into the dvd authoring app and use the highest
quality settings you can, max the rate at 8,000k as most dvd players will
not play any more than that, use vbr, with a lower limit of no less than
1,000k from the max rate for all movies which contain lots of movement. Keep
movies to arounf an hour in length max.

--
Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media