xp doesn't recognize sony handycam

i tried to connect my Sony handycam (hi-8, analoge) to my new notebook
(laptop), but xp and Windows Movie Maker doesn't recognize it.
Any suggestions?
5 answers Last reply
More about doesn recognize sony handycam

    And how did you connect....USB..Firefire.....video in thru video capture
    ....which would be way analog is captured whereas digital can be USB or firewire
    without a video capture device
    peter
    "mike" <mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >i tried to connect my Sony handycam (hi-8, analoge) to my new notebook
    > (laptop), but xp and Windows Movie Maker doesn't recognize it.
    > Any suggestions?

    Oops, forgot about that one, sorry.
    I connected using an S-video cable, both on the cam as on the notebook

    cheers

    "peter" wrote:

    > And how did you connect....USB..Firefire.....video in thru video capture
    > ....which would be way analog is captured whereas digital can be USB or firewire
    > without a video capture device
    > peter
    > "mike" <mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >i tried to connect my Sony handycam (hi-8, analoge) to my new notebook
    > > (laptop), but xp and Windows Movie Maker doesn't recognize it.
    > > Any suggestions?

    MM is designed for use with digital cams. You need either to find software
    which will work with your graphics card, or buy an analogue capture
    card/external a/d convertor.

    --
    Graham Hughes
    MVP Digital Media

    > Oops, forgot about that one, sorry.
    > I connected using an S-video cable, both on the cam as on the notebook
    >
    > cheers
    >
    > "peter" wrote:
    >
    > > And how did you connect....USB..Firefire.....video in thru video capture
    > > ....which would be way analog is captured whereas digital can be USB or
    firewire
    > > without a video capture device
    > > peter
    > > "mike" <mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > >i tried to connect my Sony handycam (hi-8, analoge) to my new notebook
    > > > (laptop), but xp and Windows Movie Maker doesn't recognize it.
    > > > Any suggestions?

    Sorry to just jump in but I just bought a Sony DVD Handicam (dcr dvd 203) and
    I am connecting through USB 2.0 (would use firewire if this camera had it).
    Movie Maker will not detect the camera however even after it was installed
    with the Found New Hardware. I can use the software that came with the camera
    to get the footage on the Hard Drive but when I import video (its mpg) it
    only comes up as audio.

    You need to use the editing app which came with it. This is getting to be an
    increasing large problem as more and more people buy dvd cams and expect to
    use them just like tape cams. It just isn't so I'm afraid. To use MM, you'll
    need to convert the mpegs to avi files, have alook at www.papajohn.org and
    see his bits on dvd cams.

    Graham

    --
    Graham Hughes
    MVP Digital Media

    "Raj" <Raj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Sorry to just jump in but I just bought a Sony DVD Handicam (dcr dvd 203)
    > and
    > I am connecting through USB 2.0 (would use firewire if this camera had
    > it).
    > Movie Maker will not detect the camera however even after it was installed
    > with the Found New Hardware. I can use the software that came with the
    > camera
    > to get the footage on the Hard Drive but when I import video (its mpg) it
    > only comes up as audio.

Video Sony Windows XP