xp doesn't recognize sony handycam

Mike

Splendid

i tried to connect my Sony handycam (hi-8, analoge) to my new notebook
(laptop), but xp and Windows Movie Maker doesn't recognize it.
Any suggestions?

peter

And how did you connect....USB..Firefire.....video in thru video capture
....which would be way analog is captured whereas digital can be USB or firewire
without a video capture device
peter
"mike" <mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>i tried to connect my Sony handycam (hi-8, analoge) to my new notebook
> (laptop), but xp and Windows Movie Maker doesn't recognize it.
> Any suggestions?

Mike

Splendid

Oops, forgot about that one, sorry.
I connected using an S-video cable, both on the cam as on the notebook

cheers

"peter" wrote:

> And how did you connect....USB..Firefire.....video in thru video capture
> ....which would be way analog is captured whereas digital can be USB or firewire
> without a video capture device
> peter
> "mike" <mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >i tried to connect my Sony handycam (hi-8, analoge) to my new notebook
> > (laptop), but xp and Windows Movie Maker doesn't recognize it.
> > Any suggestions?

MM is designed for use with digital cams. You need either to find software
which will work with your graphics card, or buy an analogue capture
card/external a/d convertor.

--
Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media

> Oops, forgot about that one, sorry.
> I connected using an S-video cable, both on the cam as on the notebook
>
> cheers
>
> "peter" wrote:
>
> > And how did you connect....USB..Firefire.....video in thru video capture
> > ....which would be way analog is captured whereas digital can be USB or
firewire
> > without a video capture device
> > peter
> > "mike" <mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >i tried to connect my Sony handycam (hi-8, analoge) to my new notebook
> > > (laptop), but xp and Windows Movie Maker doesn't recognize it.
> > > Any suggestions?

raj

Distinguished
May 2, 2004

Sorry to just jump in but I just bought a Sony DVD Handicam (dcr dvd 203) and
I am connecting through USB 2.0 (would use firewire if this camera had it).
Movie Maker will not detect the camera however even after it was installed
with the Found New Hardware. I can use the software that came with the camera
to get the footage on the Hard Drive but when I import video (its mpg) it
only comes up as audio.

You need to use the editing app which came with it. This is getting to be an
increasing large problem as more and more people buy dvd cams and expect to
use them just like tape cams. It just isn't so I'm afraid. To use MM, you'll
need to convert the mpegs to avi files, have alook at www.papajohn.org and
see his bits on dvd cams.

Graham

--