Does anyone here do all capturing/editing with a laptop?

I just wondered if that would be possible. Laptops are getting
fairly powerful these days. You would need a firewire port. Do
laptops have TV chips or any other way to bring in analog caps?

Any thoughts?

I've used my Sony Vaio for capturing and editing. It has a 1394 port and a
1.7 GHz Pentium M, which is more than enough for editing. However, the 40
gig hard drive is a significant limitation. When I have serious editing to
do, I use my home-built 3 GHz P4 with 3/4 terabyte of hard drive space.

"Peabody" <waybackKILLSPAM44@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I just wondered if that would be possible. Laptops are getting
> fairly powerful these days. You would need a firewire port. Do
> laptops have TV chips or any other way to bring in analog caps?
>
> Any thoughts?

"Peabody" <waybackKILLSPAM44@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I just wondered if that would be possible. Laptops are getting
> fairly powerful these days. You would need a firewire port. Do
> laptops have TV chips or any other way to bring in analog caps?
>
> Any thoughts?

Many laptops do come with firewire (IEEE-1394), and some have a video out,
of sorts.
Many DV camcorders, not mine, can serve as a pass through to convert analog
to DV,
and then "capture" the DV stream. There are also little boxes that can
convert analog to
DV and back again. Canopus makes the best known of these boxes
http://www.canopus.us/US/products/ADVC-100/pm_advc-100.asp
They make several others, and versions are even available to be used with
decks that
have RS-422 remote control.

David

In article <%92bc.7598$9g.1407@lakeread04>, waybackKILLSPAM44@yahoo.com
says...
> I just wondered if that would be possible. Laptops are getting
> fairly powerful these days. You would need a firewire port. Do
> laptops have TV chips or any other way to bring in analog caps?
>
> Any thoughts?

I have a Toshiba Satellite with a 2.4Ghz P4, 768MB RAM, 30GB HD, and a
160GB USB2 external drive. FireWire is standard on this machine, and it
has TV Out. It does the job perfectly well.

Using Edit Studio 4.1.3, Scenalyzer, and TMPGEnc.

--
Hywel I do not eat quiche
http://kibo.org.uk/

Peabody a écrit:
> I just wondered if that would be possible. Laptops are getting
> fairly powerful these days. You would need a firewire port. Do
> laptops have TV chips or any other way to bring in analog caps?
>
> Any thoughts?

I use a Sony VAIO laptop to capture, edit, authoring and burning. The
hard disk (40 GB) is far too small, therefore I added 2 externals
totaling 240 GB. I use a Panasonic DV camcorder as converter for old
Hi/SVHS tape. Works good