Monitor not recognized, cannot install

I just got done reformating my c drive and loading xp pro. Most seems ok, but
the display is stuck on "Default Monitor" with a color depth of 4 bits. I
have tried
installing from the monitor's cd rom, but it ends up telling me that my
hardware
was not detected and not installed. I have a viewsonic lcd but the same thing
happens when I restart with a crt monitor. I also downloaded the signed and
the unsigned drivers from the viewsonic web site. Neither was able to
complete.
All was well with my previous xp home setup, so it is definetely something
with the xp pro install, but at this point I am at the end of my rope. Any
pointers are vere welcome.

Thanks.
7 answers Last reply
More about monitor recognized install

    "jsd1966" <jsd1966@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I just got done reformating my c drive and loading xp pro. Most seems
    ok, but
    > the display is stuck on "Default Monitor" with a color depth of 4 bits.
    > have tried
    > installing from the monitor's cd rom, but it ends up telling me that my
    > hardware
    > was not detected and not installed. I have a viewsonic lcd but the same
    thing
    > happens when I restart with a crt monitor. I also downloaded the signed
    and
    > the unsigned drivers from the viewsonic web site. Neither was able to
    > complete.
    > All was well with my previous xp home setup, so it is definetely
    something
    > with the xp pro install, but at this point I am at the end of my rope.
    Any
    > pointers are vere welcome.

    Have a look in Device Manager at your Display Adapters. Is your video
    card/graphics chip properly identified? If not, you likely just need to
    install current drivers for it- preferably from the manufacturer's web
    site.

    Regards,
    Ian.

    "Ionizer" <me7@privacy.net> wrote in message
    > "jsd1966" <jsd1966@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> I just got done reformating my c drive and loading xp pro. Most seems
    > ok, but
    >> the display is stuck on "Default Monitor" with a color depth of 4 bits.
    >> have tried
    >> installing from the monitor's cd rom, but it ends up telling me that my
    >> hardware
    >> was not detected and not installed. I have a viewsonic lcd but the same
    > thing
    >> happens when I restart with a crt monitor. I also downloaded the signed
    > and
    >> the unsigned drivers from the viewsonic web site. Neither was able to
    >> complete.
    >> All was well with my previous xp home setup, so it is definetely
    > something
    >> with the xp pro install, but at this point I am at the end of my rope.
    > Any
    >> pointers are vere welcome.
    >>

    > Have a look in Device Manager at your Display Adapters. Is your video
    > card/graphics chip properly identified? If not, you likely just need to
    > install current drivers for it- preferably from the manufacturer's web
    > site.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Ian.

    If you had read the message you would know he already tried to do just that.

    > "Ionizer" <me7@privacy.net> wrote in message
    > > "jsd1966" <jsd1966@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >> I just got done reformating my c drive and loading xp pro. Most
    seems
    > > ok, but
    > >> the display is stuck on "Default Monitor" with a color depth of 4
    bits.
    > >> have tried
    > >> installing from the monitor's cd rom, but it ends up telling me that
    my
    > >> hardware
    > >> was not detected and not installed. I have a viewsonic lcd but the
    same
    > > thing
    > >> happens when I restart with a crt monitor. I also downloaded the
    signed
    > > and
    > >> the unsigned drivers from the viewsonic web site. Neither was able
    > >> complete.
    > >> All was well with my previous xp home setup, so it is definetely
    > > something
    > >> with the xp pro install, but at this point I am at the end of my
    rope.
    > > Any
    > >> pointers are vere welcome.
    > >>

    > > Have a look in Device Manager at your Display Adapters. Is your video
    > > card/graphics chip properly identified? If not, you likely just need
    > > install current drivers for it- preferably from the manufacturer's web
    > > site.
    > >
    > > Regards,
    > > Ian.
    > >
    > If you had read the message you would know he already tried to do just
    that.

    I did read his message- did you? He has tried installing *MONITOR*
    drivers from the CD-ROM which came with his ViewSonic monitor. He has
    tried installing signed and unsigned *MONITOR* drivers from the ViewSonic
    website. ViewSonic does not offer downloads of *GRAPHICS CARD* (display
    adapter) drivers, because they don't make graphics cards- they make
    monitors.

    If they do offer graphics card drivers, please show me where you found
    them: http://www.viewsonic.com/support/drivers/index.cfm

    --
    Ian.

    Actually, you are both right ;-) I did not say in my original post that
    I had tried looking at the display adapter. But in the interim I did take
    a look at that. The thing is that it (the display adapted) is being shown
    as unknown (large, yellow question mark). This fact probably explain
    my troubles. So one question is, why is xp pro not recognizing my
    display adapter when xp home was doing fine with it this AM?

    But the more interesting question is, since I dont remember exactly
    what display adapter I have and it is not being detected how do I know,
    short of opening the box, what driver to go download. I remember it
    is an Intel, so I gambled and told xp to install the first on the list that
    comes with xp pro -- I lost, as soon as the files were copied, the monitor
    turned itself off..... Lukily it didnt stick since after rebooting I at least
    have a semiworking monitor back.

    Please keep the comments coming, if you have any more. Many thanks.

    -jsd

    > Actually, you are both right ;-) I did not say in my original post that
    > I had tried looking at the display adapter. But in the interim I did
    take
    > a look at that. The thing is that it (the display adapted) is being
    shown
    > as unknown (large, yellow question mark). This fact probably explain
    > my troubles. So one question is, why is xp pro not recognizing my
    > display adapter when xp home was doing fine with it this AM?
    >
    > But the more interesting question is, since I dont remember exactly
    > what display adapter I have and it is not being detected how do I know,
    > short of opening the box, what driver to go download. I remember it
    > is an Intel, so I gambled and told xp to install the first on the list
    that
    > comes with xp pro -- I lost, as soon as the files were copied, the
    monitor
    > turned itself off..... Lukily it didnt stick since after rebooting I at
    least
    > have a semiworking monitor back.
    >
    > Please keep the comments coming, if you have any more. Many thanks.

    There are a couple of free utilities you can run which will help you
    identify all sorts of installed components:

    Belarc Advisor: http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html
    Sandra Lite:
    http://www.sisoftware.co.uk/?dir=dload&location=sware_dl_3264&langx=en&a=

    Is this computer a home-built unit or a standard-issue make and model?

    I went through the same difficulties you're having last month with my
    sister's hand-me-down IBM Aptiva. We completely wiped the system and did
    a fresh W98SE install, which all worked according to plan except for the
    fact that Windows couldn't figure out what sort of display adapter it was
    dealing with. Belarc Advisor identified the specific Aptiva model
    number, among other things, and I was able to Google information about
    what particular graphics chip had been originally issued with that six
    year-old computer. Drivers were still available out there.

    Let Jerry and me know how things progress.

    Regards,
    Ian.

    "jsd1966" <jsd1966@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Actually, you are both right ;-) I did not say in my original post that
    > I had tried looking at the display adapter. But in the interim I did take
    > a look at that. The thing is that it (the display adapted) is being shown
    > as unknown (large, yellow question mark). This fact probably explain
    > my troubles. So one question is, why is xp pro not recognizing my
    > display adapter when xp home was doing fine with it this AM?
    >
    > But the more interesting question is, since I dont remember exactly
    > what display adapter I have and it is not being detected how do I know,
    > short of opening the box, what driver to go download. I remember it
    > is an Intel, so I gambled and told xp to install the first on the list
    > that
    > comes with xp pro -- I lost, as soon as the files were copied, the monitor
    > turned itself off..... Lukily it didnt stick since after rebooting I at
    > least
    > have a semiworking monitor back.
    >
    > Please keep the comments coming, if you have any more. Many thanks.
    >
    > -jsd
    >
    > "Ionizer" wrote:
    >
    >> "Jerry" <NoSpamChiefZeke@MSN.com> wrote in message
    >> > "Ionizer" <me7@privacy.net> wrote in message
    >> seems
    >> bits.
    >> my
    >> same
    >> signed
    >> rope.

    >> > If you had read the message you would know he already tried to do just
    >> that.
    >> >

    >> I did read his message- did you? He has tried installing *MONITOR*
    >> drivers from the CD-ROM which came with his ViewSonic monitor. He has
    >> tried installing signed and unsigned *MONITOR* drivers from the ViewSonic
    >> website. ViewSonic does not offer downloads of *GRAPHICS CARD* (display
    >> adapter) drivers, because they don't make graphics cards- they make
    >> monitors.
    >>
    >> If they do offer graphics card drivers, please show me where you found
    >> them: http://www.viewsonic.com/support/drivers/index.cfm
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ian.

    You can also go to www.lavalys.com and get Everest Home Edition. It will
    tell you more than you probably want to know.
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    Ok. Everest came through. The other two were actually not telling me
    anything about the adapter -- they both just said VGA or Default adapter.
    But Everest spilled the beans and now my monitor is back ship shape.

    Now the next thing. xp pro says that I have no audio device. Everest
    actually gives me the controller type: Intel 82801D. But going to the
    intel web page, it finds the controller, but it says that there are no
    software
    downloads available for it. I''ve tried updating and re-installing the
    driver,
    but it xp keeps coming back saying it cannot find the driver anywhere.

    Any thoughts?

    Many, many thanks for all this feedback.

    -jsd

Video Monitors Windows XP