IEEE 1394 port problem

Hi, I have a Sony PC330 mini DV camcorder and am trying to connect it to my
laptop running XP pro. But somehow the OS does not find the camera nor am I
able to manually add new hardware. I connect the cable and start the camera
but nothing happens.

I have windows movie maker and Ulead movie software also.

I have been transferring the still images with the USB cable, but am not
able to use the 4/4 pin IEEE 1394 cable to transfer the video content. Am I
supposed to do anything special to activate the IEEE port on my laptop?

Thanks,
aatish
5 answers Last reply
More about ieee 1394 port problem

    Connect your camera and power it on.
    Start Movie maker (or Ulead). When Movie Maker opens, you will se the item
    "Capture from video device". You just click on it and follow the
    instructions on the screen to control the video camera to capture what you
    want. I don't know about Ulead but I imagine you will get a similar
    "Capture...

    "aatish" <aatish@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi, I have a Sony PC330 mini DV camcorder and am trying to connect it to
    my
    > laptop running XP pro. But somehow the OS does not find the camera nor am
    > able to manually add new hardware. I connect the cable and start the
    camera
    > but nothing happens.
    >
    > I have windows movie maker and Ulead movie software also.
    >
    > I have been transferring the still images with the USB cable, but am not
    > able to use the 4/4 pin IEEE 1394 cable to transfer the video content. Am
    > supposed to do anything special to activate the IEEE port on my laptop?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > aatish

    If you get no XP found h/w ping on connecting the cam, when turned on and in
    playback mode, I'd first suspect a poor cable, then look at the port on the
    cam and pc. See if you can test your cam and cable on another pc which you
    know works.

    --
    Graham Hughes
    MVP Digital Media

    "Yves Alarie" <rd50@@pitt.edu> wrote in message
    > Connect your camera and power it on.
    > Start Movie maker (or Ulead). When Movie Maker opens, you will se the item
    > "Capture from video device". You just click on it and follow the
    > instructions on the screen to control the video camera to capture what you
    > want. I don't know about Ulead but I imagine you will get a similar
    > "Capture...
    >

    > "aatish" <aatish@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi, I have a Sony PC330 mini DV camcorder and am trying to connect it to
    > my
    > > laptop running XP pro. But somehow the OS does not find the camera nor
    am
    > > able to manually add new hardware. I connect the cable and start the
    > camera
    > > but nothing happens.
    > >
    > > I have windows movie maker and Ulead movie software also.
    > >
    > > I have been transferring the still images with the USB cable, but am not
    > > able to use the 4/4 pin IEEE 1394 cable to transfer the video content.
    Am
    > > supposed to do anything special to activate the IEEE port on my laptop?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > aatish

    I suppose that ping sound is only for USB periferals, NOT firewire ones...
    ;-)

    "Graham Hughes" <graham@simplydv.co.uk> ha scritto nel messaggio
    > If you get no XP found h/w ping on connecting the cam, when turned on and
    in
    > playback mode, I'd first suspect a poor cable, then look at the port on
    the
    > cam and pc. See if you can test your cam and cable on another pc which you
    > know works.
    >
    > --
    > Graham Hughes
    > MVP Digital Media
    > www.dvds2treasure.com
    > www.simplydv.com
    >

    > "Yves Alarie" <rd50@@pitt.edu> wrote in message
    > > Connect your camera and power it on.
    > > Start Movie maker (or Ulead). When Movie Maker opens, you will se the
    item
    > > "Capture from video device". You just click on it and follow the
    > > instructions on the screen to control the video camera to capture what
    you
    > > want. I don't know about Ulead but I imagine you will get a similar
    > > "Capture...
    > >

    > > "aatish" <aatish@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > Hi, I have a Sony PC330 mini DV camcorder and am trying to connect it
    > > my
    > > > laptop running XP pro. But somehow the OS does not find the camera nor
    > am
    > > > able to manually add new hardware. I connect the cable and start the
    > > camera
    > > > but nothing happens.
    > > >
    > > > I have windows movie maker and Ulead movie software also.
    > > >
    > > > I have been transferring the still images with the USB cable, but am
    not
    > > > able to use the 4/4 pin IEEE 1394 cable to transfer the video content.
    > Am
    > > > supposed to do anything special to activate the IEEE port on my
    laptop?

    > > > Thanks,
    > > > aatish

    No, I get a firewire ping, just as I get a USB ping. Same wav file.
    www.coribright.com

    "simone" <simoneNOspam@teleclient.org> wrote in message
    >I suppose that ping sound is only for USB periferals, NOT firewire ones...
    > ;-)
    >
    > "Graham Hughes" <graham@simplydv.co.uk> ha scritto nel messaggio
    >> If you get no XP found h/w ping on connecting the cam, when turned on and
    > in
    >> playback mode, I'd first suspect a poor cable, then look at the port on
    > the
    >> cam and pc. See if you can test your cam and cable on another pc which
    >> you
    >> know works.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Graham Hughes
    >> MVP Digital Media
    >> www.dvds2treasure.com
    >> www.simplydv.com
    >>

    >> "Yves Alarie" <rd50@@pitt.edu> wrote in message
    >> > Connect your camera and power it on.
    >> > Start Movie maker (or Ulead). When Movie Maker opens, you will se the
    > item
    >> > "Capture from video device". You just click on it and follow the
    >> > instructions on the screen to control the video camera to capture what
    > you
    >> > want. I don't know about Ulead but I imagine you will get a similar
    >> > "Capture...
    >> >

    >> > "aatish" <aatish@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > my
    >> am
    >> > camera

    > not
    >> Am
    > laptop?

    Your supposition is incorrect.
    When you turn on the connected camcorder there is a sound indicating that XP
    has recognized the attached device.

Video Cable Windows XP